Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago He shrunk another inch today....
El Señor tiene cajones.
Jajones mas grande.
Sí y El Jefe lo hace.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Did I mistakenly hit the SAP button??? LOL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Excellent article just posted on The Athletic about Rhody and specifically Fatts. It's behind a paywall so can't post here, but the highlight was that he talked about sitting down with his stepfather and older brother in the offseason and they showed him game tape to point out all the areas of his game that needed to get better. Said it was tough to take but ultimately drove him to work harder and become a leader. Also says a team meeting after the Brown/Richmond game helped turn things around. I'd expect we see a good amount of Rhody pub over the next 24 hours in advance of the big game.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Excellent article just posted on The Athletic about Rhody and specifically Fatts. It's behind a paywall so can't post here, but the highlight was that he talked about sitting down with his stepfather and older brother in the offseason and they showed him game tape to point out all the areas of his game that needed to get better. Said it was tough to take but ultimately drove him to work harder and become a leader. Also says a team meeting after the Brown/Richmond game helped turn things around. I'd expect we see a good amount of Rhody pub over the next 24 hours in advance of the big game.
Agreed. If you're a sports fan and don't subscribe to the Athletic, you're really missing out.

Literally every talented writer who's ever been cut from ESPN, CBS, etc...all went here. Your subscription supports probably the best, most comprehensive sports content on the internet...WITH NO ADS. No agenda. No Lebron watch. No twitter wars. No TMZ crap.

Eamonn Brennan and his bubble watch are here. In depth advanced-metric hockey analysis that you will not find anywhere else. Definitely the best CBB coverage anywhere.

Just sports. Support the guys that actually give you the stuff you'll care about.

https://theathletic.com/1595353/2020/02 ... e=boxscore
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Excellent article just posted on The Athletic about Rhody and specifically Fatts. It's behind a paywall so can't post here, but the highlight was that he talked about sitting down with his stepfather and older brother in the offseason and they showed him game tape to point out all the areas of his game that needed to get better. Said it was tough to take but ultimately drove him to work harder and become a leader. Also says a team meeting after the Brown/Richmond game helped turn things around. I'd expect we see a good amount of Rhody pub over the next 24 hours in advance of the big game.
Agreed. If you're a sports fan and don't subscribe to the Athletic, you're really missing out.

Literally every talented writer who's ever been cut from ESPN, CBS, etc...all went here. Your subscription supports probably the best, most comprehensive sports content on the internet...WITH NO ADS. No agenda. No Lebron watch. No twitter wars. No TMZ crap.

Eamonn Brennan and his bubble watch are here. In depth advanced-metric hockey analysis that you will not find anywhere else. Definitely the best CBB coverage anywhere.

Just sports. Support the guys that actually give you the stuff you'll care about.

Agree 100%. The baseball coverage is also unparalleled
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They also run tons of sales throughout the year. Its almost impossible to pay full price.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This is great:

Despite Russell’s ascension, the Rams stood at just 8-5 in early January following back-to-back losses at Brown and against Richmond. That led to meeting No. 2.

Upset with the team’s at times selfish play, Russell and seniors Cyril Langevine and Jeff Dowtin called a players-only meeting after the Richmond loss. “We were like, we’re not going to let our season go down the drain,” Russell says. “If we’re going to flip this, we have to flip it right now. We felt like we had to be more together, be in sync on the defensive end and rebound collectively.”
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s freaking awesome about the players only meeting and nice job by Fatts family to help point out what he needs to work on in the offseason
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Agreed, definitely worth the small investment if you are big sports fan. Enjoyed the article on Fatts. It was a good read. The article he wrote last week about San Diego State and how that team was built was very well done as well. I found the article very intriguing and think that is the way that Rhody should be trying to build their teams going forward with transfers and grad transfers sprinkled in. Basically San Diego State has two grad transfers and a transfer from Washington State that are a big part of their team. The coach said with freshman and Sophomores the team was too young to win tough games in November and December, and he needed a way to be better early to be in contention for an at large bid.

Makes a lot of sense, because unlike in the P5, almost impossible to get an at large bid out of a Non P5 without a strong out of conference performance. With 3 open scholarships, it will be interesting to see how Cox approaches this offseason. He looks like he has already started down this path with Walker and Sheppard. Even Dayton, which has one of their best teams, has taken advantage of two transfers that are in their top six. Ibi Watson transferred in from Michigan and Rodney Chatman from Chattanooga. They also have Jordy Tshimanga a transfer from Nebraska and Chase Johnson from Florida. I do not know if Johnson is hurt, but he has not played since December 8th.

I think this is the model that needs to followed for teams outside the P5 that want to compete for an large bid. But yes the Athletic is definitely worth it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah that’s a good model to follow for sure

San Diego St has been unreal this year only undefeated team even though the Mountsin West is down this year most likely a 1 bid league unless Aztecs fall
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Fatts is one of 30 nominees for National Player of the Year.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hell yeah congrats Fatts !!!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Got a good story..Didn’t know where to post this so I’m adding under the Fatts topic. My family is currently down in Florida for the week. Yesterday we walked to the beach and I wore my Fatts Russell jersey. My wife and I were crossing the street and a car slow down honked his horn and a guy screamed out ‘let’s go Rhody!!’. Later in the day my wife wanted coffee so we walked into a Starbucks. Two ladies came up to me and said how they were big URI fans. One lady mentioned her favorite player was Fatts.
I love seeing URI fans far away from the state. Last year I was in a dinner for work in the Cayman Islands and a group of men and women came in decked out in URI gear. I walked over and had a 20 minute conversation with them about their thoughts on the A10 Tournament.
Hopefully the URI brand continues to grow nationally. Can only help the program... Go Rhody.
Last edited by SandorClegane 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good stuff. There are a lot of URI Grads and Retirees in Florida
Where is your family there?
I’ve run into Rhody Fans often down there including Tampa, Ft Myers, Naples, Sarasota, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Pensacola, Panama City......
steviep123
Sly Williams

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Got a good story..Didn’t know where the posters so I’m adding under the Fatts topic. My family is currently down in Florida for the week. Yesterday we walked to the beach and I wore my Fatts Russell jersey. My wife and I were crossing the street and a car slow down honked his horn and a guy screamed out ‘let’s go Rhody!!’. Later in the day my wife wanted coffee so we walked into a Starbucks. Two ladies came up to me and said how they were big URI fans. One lady mentioned her favorite player was Fatts.
I love seeing URI fans far away from the state. Last year I was in a dinner for work in the Cayman Islands and a group of men and women came in decked out in URI gear. I walked over and had a 20 minute conversation with them about their thoughts on the A10 Tournament.
Hopefully the URI brand continues to grow nationally. Can only help the program... Go Rhody.
Awesome!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Good stuff. There are a lot of URI Grads and Retirees in Florida
I’ve run into Rhody Fans often down there including Tampa, Ft Myers, Naples, Sarasota, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Pensacola, Panama City......
Lots of Westerly people vacation/retire in southwest Florida so I wouldn’t be surprised to find URI fans there.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Had a similar experience last weekend walking into the Turtle Club in Naples with my URI shirt on. Guys yells out Rhody Rhody Rhody!
“We will be good when we are good.”
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Best Year In Decades?

Unread post by bwerner10 »

I posted this two years ago when JT was very hot in Feb. of his Senior Year. It was an awesome year, but JT cooled a little I believe. Compare Fatts’ season to Mobley and Odom’s top years.
Different teams, but Fatts stats might be better:

Mobley - 17.2 PPG, 1.6 SPG, 3 PT% 41% 2.6 AST, FT - 85% +5 PTs PPG YOY

Fatts - 20.6 PPG, 3 SPG, 3 PT% 37%, 4.6 AST, FT - 83% +6 PPG YOY

Odom - 17.6 PPG, 9.4 Reb, 3 PT% 33%, 3.8 AST, 1.5 BLK, FT - 68%
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This was 40 years ago but:

Sly - 23.9 points, 8.4 rebounds. 3.5 assists, 2.3 steals, .524 FG%, .726 FT%.

The greatest Ram of all.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Best Year In Decades?

Unread post by ramster »

bwerner10 wrote: 4 years ago I posted this two years ago when JT was very hot in Feb. of his Senior Year. It was an awesome year, but JT cooled a little I believe. Compare Fatts’ season to Mobley and Odom’s top years.
Different teams, but Fatts stats might be better:

Mobley - 17.2 PPG, 1.6 SPG, 3 PT% 41% 2.6 AST, FT - 85% +5 PTs PPG YOY

Fatts - 20.6 PPG, 3 SPG, 3 PT% 37%, 4.6 AST, FT - 83% +6 PPG YOY

Odom - 17.6 PPG, 9.4 Reb, 3 PT% 33%, 3.8 AST, 1.5 BLK, FT - 68%
Do you have their FG% as well? You only list 3P% and FT%
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Good stuff. There are a lot of URI Grads and Retirees in Florida
My family all retired in RI even though we’re not originally from there (multiple season ticket holders). Wife’s family is in Naples. Guess there’s a big URI contingent in Florida... 8-)
- Mr. Rogers
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......should be fun to watch next years team.......the Fatts Team......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......should be fun to watch next years team.......the Fatts Team......
Well the idea of Fatts playing better than next year.... :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT : Playing better than he has this year****
Last edited by PeterRamTime 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......a few Fatts to Toppin Time for some highlight alley ops.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We all need to start preparing how how much we think Fatts will avg for next season’s prediction contest !!!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 4 years ago We all need to start preparing how how much we think Fatts will avg for next season’s prediction contest !!!
I'll go first. 23.8 ppg.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago We all need to start preparing how how much we think Fatts will avg for next season’s prediction contest !!!
I'll go first. 23.8 ppg. 8-)
steviep123
Sly Williams

Jon Rothstein has Fatts Russell as a 3rd Team All-American.

http://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/ ... can-watch/

Fatts Russell, Rhode Island: Russell is a prime example of why the Atlantic 10 is about much more than just Dayton. Ranked third nationally in steals (3.0), this 5-10 junior has readily accepted the role as the Rams’ go-to scorer. Russell’s presence is a major reason Rhode Island could be a dangerous team in the NCAA Tournament.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I was just watching the local news sportscast and while the reporter was talking, Fatts was behind him draining five 3's in a row from the left baseline. Classic.
Mobley was fouled.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Love to see Fatts on that list. Great for him and great for the program.

Surprised Tre Jones isn’t mentioned. But hey, can only pick 15ish names right?
- Mr. Rogers
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Posted this on twitter, seeing as I saw a lot of PC trolls shitting on Fatts for being a volume scorer while pumping up Myles Powell and Markus Howard as NPOY's thought it was worth looking at them side by side...

Fatts:
20 points per game, 5 assists per game, 3 steals per game
41% FG, 38% 3FG

Powell:
22 points per game, 5 rebounds per game, 3 assists per game
40% FG, 31% 3FG

Howard:
27 points per game, 3 rebounds per game, 3 assists per game
41% FG, 39% 3FG
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This is the most bullshit cherry picked tweet of all time.. ignores VCU at home, PC, @ SBU, @WVU, Davidson at home... etc etc

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago This is the most bullshit cherry picked tweet of all time.. ignores VCU at home, PC, @ SBU, @WVU, Davidson at home... etc etc

It’s not cherry picking at all, in all our conference losses, Fatts has shot like shit.

That tweet just points out if Fatts has an off shooting night in conference play, it’ll be very tough to win.
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

THIS is the moment I knew we had a special talent in Kingston. I can't wait to see Fatts create more memories this Spring.

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Any time I come across that clip I am required to watch it at least 10 times in a row.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree that is just outstanding what a Fatts did to an NBA All-Star
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago This is the most bullshit cherry picked tweet of all time.. ignores VCU at home, PC, @ SBU, @WVU, Davidson at home... etc etc

It’s not cherry picking at all, in all our conference losses, Fatts has shot like shit.

That tweet just points out if Fatts has an off shooting night in conference play, it’ll be very tough to win.

He makes his point on the 3 A10 Conf Losses

But then he throws in VCU which was not a loss. If he is going to throw in VCU then he should throw in BOTH VCU games otherwise this tends towards cherry-picking.

Also if he is talking about the top of the A10 Teams then he should include the St Bonaventure as they are (10-4) and right behind us. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to have added in only the single VCU game.

Big games coming up with Saint Louis and Dayton.

1FB35D18-DF42-4DF3-BCC3-2CABCA93644F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

This moron and his tweets. Especially with Fatts and his 8 steals yesterday.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

This moron and his tweets. Especially with Fatts and his 8 steals yesterday.
He’s not wrong. Fatts has disappeared and looks more like last season Fatts down the stretch.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

He may not be wrong, but that guy has been an a-hole and a twitter troll all season long.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago He may not be wrong, but that guy has been an a-hole and a twitter troll all season long.
I think he is a KB Member
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago He may not be wrong, but that guy has been an a-hole and a twitter troll all season long.
Which in no way disqualifies him from being a tool or a troll.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Agreed, Stevie.

Also, ramster I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s that clown. 😂
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fatts is toast. I hate to use fatigue and being banged up as an excuse. But, I think it applies here. It's not so much that he's averaging 36 or so minutes a game, although that's part of it. For the first 20 games or so, he would drive to the hoop fearlessly, often getting slammed to the ground, but also often getting to the free throw line. The last 7 or 8 games, he has been doing it less often and less effectively. Even though he is a tremendous athlete, someone who is 5'8" and maybe 150 lbs.? can't take that kind of abuse to his body constantly. He was asked about a month ago about an injury. He wouldn't specify but said he was dealing with several things. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe pulling up for a floater before the big bodies get a chance to hammer him? Or dish to the corner or the wing before the heavy contact? Anyway, I think all of those times getting slammed to the floor has taken its toll. Bigger, stronger guards can take the hits a little better, but not when you're as small as Fatts.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is toast. I hate to use fatigue and being banged up as an excuse. But, I think it applies here. It's not so much that he's averaging 36 or so minutes a game, although that's part of it. For the first 20 games or so, he would drive to the hoop fearlessly, often getting slammed to the ground, but also often getting to the free throw line. The last 7 or 8 games, he has been doing it less often and less effectively. Even though he is a tremendous athlete, someone who is 5'8" and maybe 150 lbs.? can't take that kind of abuse to his body constantly. He was asked about a month ago about an injury. He wouldn't specify but said he was dealing with several things. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe pulling up for a floater before the big bodies get a chance to hammer him? Or dish to the corner or the wing before the heavy contact? Anyway, I think all of those times getting slammed to the floor has taken its toll. Bigger, stronger guards can take the hits a little better, but not when you're as small as Fatts.
He is straight up not getting calls that he was getting regularly earlier in the season and I think that affects it a lot. The line brings confidence and if he cant get there its hard for him as undersized as he is to be fully effective.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I believe he is doing it less (and less effectively) because teams have caught on and the other four defenders are all sagging to the middle.
There is no room for Fatts to drive and no room for the high pick and roll to work. So our offense stalls.
Three games in a row teams have played us this way.
There needs to be an adjustment on offense - and your suggestions are all good ones.
The best way to beat this, as everyone knows, is to hit a few threes to force the defense back out of the lane.
Drive and kick or dump in and kick as many have suggested are both good strategies - as long as you make the threes.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fatts is now shooting under 40% from the field.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fatts needs 5 more steals to break Tommy Garrick's single season record that has stood for 32 years.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Don't tell UMass.

Seriously, I'm not sure I've seen a team that was just flat out violent. They're likely to cold cock Fatts in the head after his first steal of the game and put him out of commission early, so that he can't break any records on them.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Ok so doing a lot of thinking last few days and I have a question for all of KB nation.

If this new transfer rule comes into play and Fatts decides to transfer to a higher level school would you be happy or pissed?

Although it would make next year harder for you think it would be helpful to the program in the long run?

By saying that it would allow younger players more playing time now and more time to get together.

I am not saying I hope he goes but jus tendering peoples opinions.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano