Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Is TJs story an added benefit for recruiting? plays here during the bad Baron years, new coach comes in sees his potential as a manager, gives him a shot and is successful at the same school that recruited him. Holds true to our family mentality, but does that help during recruiting prospects?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 5 years ago Is TJs story an added benefit for recruiting? plays here during the bad Baron years, new coach comes in sees his potential as a manager, gives him a shot and is successful at the same school that recruited him. Holds true to our family mentality, but does that help during recruiting prospects?
I would say very valid. Plus TJ is well liked across the board. Who can forget his Senior Day?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 5 years ago Is TJs story an added benefit for recruiting? plays here during the bad Baron years, new coach comes in sees his potential as a manager, gives him a shot and is successful at the same school that recruited him. Holds true to our family mentality, but does that help during recruiting prospects?
I don’t know. I think it probably means more to fans. But, TJ was good at selling the program turnaround to recruits when he was a player. Watching TJ celebrate with EC and the rest on the court in Pittsburgh was definitely a special thing to see.

Also, minor detail but TJ only played one year for Baron, three for Hurley and then was hired by Dan as Director of Player Development in his last year.

Lost in all the coach talk is that they should still probably sign another ‘19.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

Also, minor detail but TJ only played one year for Baron, three for Hurley and then was hired by Dan as Director of Player Development in his last year.
I would call that major. TJ flourished under Dan. TJ played when Dave with an Assistant.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

Tyson wasn't included in the lengthy interview list for Carroll's opening. He isn't being considered.

I don't see Carroll coming back. I believe they already have an accepted offer from his replacement.
They are holding his position and if he feels healthy will be back coaching with URI. This is from a pretty good source. It depends upon whether he is healthy enough. I think the main focus it to get a new assistant and if Carroll isn’t up to it they will move on and fill the second spot
Seems like a bad decision to me. How long does Cox hold the position for? Why do Cox and Thorr think Rhody can compete understaffed again. Carroll will be 64 years old when the season starts. He has been out for 3 1/2 months. What is to say that he doesn't have the health problem reoccur during the season again.

Cox interviewed candidates to replace Carroll. Those candidates have different skills than your lead recruiting assistant. So who does he fill the other open spot with while waiting on Carroll? I don't think it would be from the same candidate pool. Also, Ty made less than Carroll so Cox will have to go after didn't candidates. If this is the case, we could go through the summer practices short a player development coach. He has to hire the recruiting assistant while waiting for Carroll decision.
I agree completely in that I see no reason for Carroll to be back with URI with his health, age and honestly he doesn’t bring much to the table. I was just saying what I heard in terms of if he is healthy and wants to come back his position has not been replaced as of yet. I think getting two new coaches (and in a hurry) would be great for the program. I wouldn’t even mind three assistants. I would be fine with keeping Cox and bringing in a new staff, but know that isn’t good continuity
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I would call that major. TJ flourished under Dan. TJ played when Dave with an Assistant.
Yeah, I think it’s just that I was confused by the timeline put out in the original post and who was the referenced “new coach.” And to think, TJ initially wanted to transfer (and they pretty much said ok but how about you don’t) and now he’s such a beloved Ram fixture.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Are there any rumored names for the asst coach position?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

For anyone thinking Carroll was returning
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It appears that the team doesn’t have a coached practice this week. IG of Fatts in Philly gym with Will and locals. IG of players practicing in Keaney without a coach. Is Cox doing this because he want new Assistant(s) involved? Second summer semester ends the last week of July. I would assume the players leave campus for August as they have done in the past. There are 7 weeks left before tgey leave and the NCAA limits practice to 8 hours per werk for 8 weeks.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Well that’s a change of events
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Doesn't seem like the best time for an official visit, does it? But what do I know...

Maybe there was some truth in what Penders was tweeting.

It might be summer, and this night not be a popular thought, but it doesn't seem like the ideal way to run a Division I program that has NCAA tournament aspirations to be honest.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

Well that’s a change of events
He probably got a call from URI asking for him to make the clarification. Whatever is actually going on, unless there has been a contractual change there is probably some sensitivity around what information is made public and how.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago Doesn't seem like the best time for an official visit, does it? But what do I know...

Maybe there was some truth in what Penders was tweeting.

It might be summer, and this night not be a popular thought, but it doesn't seem like the ideal way to run a Division I program that has NCAA tournament aspirations to be honest.
Let’s not be so dramatic. Sure the players care about the staff, but the HC and team is the selling point. Kids want to know who they are playing for/with, and how they will be developed. Sure it helps to have the full compliment in place, but unfortunately it doesn’t always work the way we, as fans, want things. Carroll situation is/was out of DC’s control. Boswell’s contract wasn’t renewed for reasons that will never be disclosed, but there was basis behind it.

Things will sure up soon, I truly believe that. That’s me being the optimist, per usual.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hopefully we get one coach soon to at least go out and recruit.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m apparently in the minority here, but I absolutely cannot get myself worked up at all about the assistant coach situation. Of course on some level this matters - I get the theoretical impact on recruiting, but really do not think at the end of the day it is going to end up being a game-changing thing for us. They are going to fill out the staff at some point. We aren’t going into the season with two coaches. It’s probably because I was not the biggest fan of the staff last year, but I’m more curious about who they end up with than I am about when the spots will be filled.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

players 100 percent care about the whole staff. Losing Ty hurts bad. Go look at Boswells last three weeks of tweets. notice who likes every single one. Hurley he is that good. every non-DC guy we get was his. Sutton got the guy from Greece. everyone else TY. Why you think Mariel left. Our next assistant already has ties to a guy on the team. Basketball is a sleazy world. We need an AAU guy. And we are stuck because of Carroll. I love Coach Cox but we need to recruit nationwide not just the DMV
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I’m apparently in the minority here, but I absolutely cannot get myself worked up at all about the assistant coach situation. Of course on some level this matters - I get the theoretical impact on recruiting, but really do not think at the end of the day it is going to end up being a game-changing thing for us. They are going to fill out the staff at some point. We aren’t going into the season with two coaches. It’s probably because I was not the biggest fan of the staff last year, but I’m more curious about who they end up with than I am about when the spots will be filled.
Like most things, it’s probably somewhere in the middle. There’s a handful of people who jump on any change in the program (transfer, coaching change, missing out on a recruit, etc.) with “moving on,” “this doesn’t even matter” and another handful of the sky is falling, Eeyore types.

My two biggest things are- coaches tend to be creatures of habit and like things to be predictable. Two new guys- if they come from outside the program- are going to be on a learning curve, and there’s some unpredictability there. The best possible outcome is that they’re even better than expected and bring something new to the program.

And two, any time spent with personnel decisions is time not spent doing something else. Head coaches’ time is already spread pretty thin.

At the end of the day, I’m not at all worried about losing one of the two. The other, regardless of circumstances, is less than ideal, IMO. Change always opens the door for opportunity, so I await the formal announcements (to which I imagine hearing some of the same above reactions).

At least it gives us something to talk about.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kingston wrote: 5 years ago players 100 percent care about the whole staff. Losing Ty hurts bad. Go look at Boswells last three weeks of tweets. notice who likes every single one. Hurley he is that good. every non-DC guy we get was his. Sutton got the guy from Greece. everyone else TY. Why you think Mariel left. Our next assistant already has ties to a guy on the team. Basketball is a sleazy world. We need an AAU guy. And we are stuck because of Carroll. I love Coach Cox but we need to recruit nationwide not just the DMV
Marial left for personal reasons. Had zero to do with Ty. 75% of the roster are DC recruits. Ty had a hand in Toppin and Tate...they both are staying. The staff is NOT a breaking point. The HC and the team is. Again, the team will be fine and now it is DC’s time to make the entire staff his.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Kingston wrote: 5 years ago players 100 percent care about the whole staff. Losing Ty hurts bad. Go look at Boswells last three weeks of tweets. notice who likes every single one. Hurley he is that good. every non-DC guy we get was his. Sutton got the guy from Greece. everyone else TY. Why you think Mariel left. Our next assistant already has ties to a guy on the team. Basketball is a sleazy world. We need an AAU guy. And we are stuck because of Carroll. I love Coach Cox but we need to recruit nationwide not just the DMV
Our players committed or stayed to play for one coach. David Cox. We have lost good assistants before and we will lose more in the future. As long as he is our head coach I have faith we will continue to be one of the best programs in the conference. We are fine.
Dtate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I’m apparently in the minority here, but I absolutely cannot get myself worked up at all about the assistant coach situation. Of course on some level this matters - I get the theoretical impact on recruiting, but really do not think at the end of the day it is going to end up being a game-changing thing for us. They are going to fill out the staff at some point. We aren’t going into the season with two coaches. It’s probably because I was not the biggest fan of the staff last year, but I’m more curious about who they end up with than I am about when the spots will be filled.
Like most things, it’s probably somewhere in the middle. There’s a handful of people who jump
on any change in the program (transfer, coaching change, missing out on a recruit, etc.) with “moving on,” “this doesn’t even matter” and another handful of the sky is falling, Eeyore types.

My two biggest things are- coaches tend to be creatures of habit and like things to be predictable. Two new guys- if they come from outside the program- are going to be on a learning curve, and there’s some unpredictability there. The best possible outcome is that they’re even better than expected and bring something new to the program.

And two, any time spent with personnel decisions is time not spent doing something else. Head coaches’ time is already spread pretty thin.

At the end of the day, I’m not at all worried about losing one of the two. The other, regardless of circumstances, is less than ideal, IMO. Change always opens the door for opportunity, so I await the formal announcements (to which I imagine hearing some of the same above reactions).

At least it gives us something to talk about.
Logical observation.
Seems that if someone favors the Head Coach then the odds of “moving on” are very high regardless of the situation.
I think those in the middle are likely the majority but they might not say too much and/or not repeat their point as often

I just am not good at assessing an Assistant Coach performance - short or long term. I think that is up to the Head Coach. I’m better at assessing players in HS and AAU especially if they are playing against equal or better competition

That said, Ty had 7 years with Expressions Elite. Used to be BABC was the premier AAU program in New England but no more - it’s Expressions. I was happy when we got Ty and have reservations about him leaving but in Cox I trust with the Coaching staff. In fact, I’m good with Matt McCall and his changes at UMASS. I like to see changes when performance is not to expectations as at UMASS or any A10 program.
These Assistants do not get paid a heck of a lot and part of their career is moving from job to job quite often. Sometimes can be a short term blessing in that the Head Coach can become closer to the players and closer to the recruiting action. Go Rhody!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Every time URI has had success they had a strong staff. It's imperative that Cox makes good choices here.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy - I agree on the importance of the staff overall, which is why I went into the offseason hoping to see some turnover. I was underwhelmed by the staff last season. When I say it’s hard for me to get worked up, I mean more that the timing isn’t nearly as important to me as the quality of the staff that ultimately comes together. I sense some anxiety about the timing among some fans. That was my only point. Wasn’t trying to say the staff isn’t important.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Top D1 MBB is very competitive. A program needs all the resources they can get to compete. URI has lost 10 Ast Coaching months in the last 13 months. That has an impact. Ty was involved with more recruits than posters are giving him credit for. The comment about UMass staff - they are on a complete restart. They just got commitments from 7 freshmen. The impact on recruiting from losing assistant coaches can be felt in the relationships developed with the next two classes ('20 & '21). Recruits that URI has made an offer to where losing Ty will be a negative (I am not saying URI was getting these recruits) - 20's Richie Springs, Trey Hall, Dyondre Dominguez, Josh Gray, Taelon Martin, Enoch Cheeks. 21's Terrence Clarke, Bensley Joseph, Alexis Reyes. URI relationship is over with Expressions. It was already nonexistent with Mass Rivals (Pastore told me that himself because of the hiring of Ty and Carroll - "his competitors").
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As to last season's staff, I was a little less then impressed with them myself.

Sutton....player development is his thing....certainly not recruiting.

Carroll....just what exactly did he do?

Ty....recruiter only.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Compared to 83's last post, I guess I'm no longer the top Doomer on the board...well 2nd top, 72 has the top spot locked up.

As Iggy said, a lot of pressure on Cox to make a good choice.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Of course getting the right guys is the most important thing, but ask Dave if this is how he’d prefer to be spending this time. Four in a little over a year- poor guy’s getting a lot of practice. Here’s to hoping the experiences lead to choices that improve the program.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It is his program now, so he owns it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Compared to 83's last post, I guess I'm no longer the top Doomer on the board...well 2nd top, 72 has the top spot locked up.

Haha. Not even close. You are locked in second place rambone.

I am frustrated by the length of time we have had (and still have) openings.
Cox and Thorr own that. There where plenty of top assistant coaches displaced with all of the head coaching changes.
Rhody should have hired one of them already.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The timing of all of this is tough....Dave has very little time to bring in someone before the fall season ramps up.

Also as I said before, to pry someone good loose from another program could require more money than what they presently pay their assistants.

83 ha ha....but you're right about the delays....PAY someone damnit! I doubt it's Cox's fault....it's the tightwads above him.

It's all about the money....same old story...and it's really getting old.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The salary pool is what it is at this point, and Dave knew that going in. I imagine he’ll be loud to the people who matter about getting that increased, just like the guy before him. There’s a pretty big step between an AD giving lip service to listening to what his coach needs, as was said when Cox was hired, and having that come to fruition. It’s not an experience unique to URI but frustrating nonetheless.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What is our salary for an assistant coach? I mean, Michigan pays their assistants $250k a year. So how far below do we pay from there, and do we put the same expectations on our assistant coaches? I would expect 4* galore if we are paying $200k.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago What is our salary for an assistant coach? I mean, Michigan pays their assistants $250k a year. So how far below do we pay from there, and do we put the same expectations on our assistant coaches? I would expect 4* galore if we are paying $200k.
Right now it’s in the $140-180k range.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago What is our salary for an assistant coach? I mean, Michigan pays their assistants $250k a year. So how far below do we pay from there, and do we put the same expectations on our assistant coaches? I would expect 4* galore if we are paying $200k.
Right now it’s in the $140-180k range.
So for an extra $20-60K, we can expect Michigan type recruits?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are still plenty of displaced Assistants and Head Coaches that are looking for jobs.
I believe the Assistant Pool is $425,000 and was scheduled to increase by 6% each year ($25,000).
Cox can split that any way he wants. I believe Ty's first year as an assistant he was paid $95-98,000.
Ace might remember what Cox was paid Dan's last year - I think it was $200,000.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago There are still plenty of displaced Assistants and Head Coaches that are looking for jobs.
I believe the Assistant Pool is $425,000 and was scheduled to increase by 6% each year ($25,000).
Cox can split that any way he wants. I believe Ty's first year as an assistant he was paid $95-98,000.
Ace might remember what Cox was paid Dan's last year - I think it was $200,000.
All state employee salaries are posted. You can look up by Fiscal Year: http://www.transparency.ri.gov/payroll/
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Compared to 83's last post, I guess I'm no longer the top Doomer on the board...well 2nd top, 72 has the top spot locked up.

Cox and Thorr own that. There where plenty of top assistant coaches displaced with all of the head coaching changes.
83, it’s not that cut and dry. Coaches aren’t clamoring to come to URI for the pay. That is a very big barrier. Some guys are willing to hold out for bigger opportunities. Those P5 assistants are looking for other P5 gigs. Most are, not all. It’s no where near as simple as saying let’s offer UM’s assistant, we know he will take it. That is not the case. They have to want the job, then we have to offer it, or vice versa.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Carroll only $113,000
Boswell $143,500
Sutton $179,000
Total $435,000
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

83, it’s not that cut and dry. Coaches aren’t clamoring to come to URI for the pay. That is a very big barrier. Some guys are willing to hold out for bigger opportunities. Those P5 assistants are looking for other P5 gigs. Most are, not all. It’s no where near as simple as saying let’s offer UM’s assistant, we know he will take it. That is not the case. They have to want the job, then we have to offer it, or vice versa.
I didn't say it was that easy and I didn't say they need to hire a P5 coach. Hire the best available that you can get.
More coaches aren't going to become available in July. I believe that Cox interviewed somewhere between 5-7 candidates.That sounds like a good pool to me.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

I didn't say it was that easy and I didn't say they need to hire a P5 coach. Hire the best available that you can get.
More coaches aren't going to become available in July. I believe that Cox interviewed somewhere between 5-7 candidates.That sounds like a good pool to me.
DC, also has to vet the candidates and ensure they meet the criteria he is looking for. There needs to be some sort or rapport there. How can you say it sounds like a good pool if you don’t know what they bring to the table, or if they want more than is being brought to the table?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Carroll only $113,000
Boswell $143,500
Sutton $179,000
Total $435,000
I’m not sure what Sutton’s contributions were to be that much higher than the other guys? At least Boswell was in on some pretty highly ranked players even know we didn’t get them. It just seemed like Carroll was just smiling whether in practice or in a picture with a recruit and Sutton always referenced twitter about something regarding basketball, but never seemed to add much to improving us as a team if he was an X and O’s specialist. I wouldn’t mind three new assistants.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Boswell $143,500
Sutton $179,000
Total $435,000
I’m not sure what Sutton’s contributions were to be that much higher than the other guys? At least Boswell was in on some pretty highly ranked players even know we didn’t get them. It just seemed like Carroll was just smiling whether in practice or in a picture with a recruit and Sutton always referenced twitter about something regarding basketball, but never seemed to add much to improving us as a team if he was an X and O’s specialist. I wouldn’t mind three new assistants.
How can we as fans know what an assistant coach's contribution is? We have no idea his contributions in player development, scout etc.
You are basing your opinion on what he Tweets????
Sutton was making much more than that at his last two jobs at GTown and Pitt.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Boswell $143,500
Sutton $179,000
Total $435,000
How can we as fans know what an assistant coach's contribution is? We have no idea his contributions in player development, scout etc.
You are basing your opinion on what he Tweets????
Sutton was making much more than that at his last two jobs at GTown and Pitt.
Does this assistant coaching staff really excite you? I don’t see any recruiting connections from either Carroll or Sutton. That is what we do as fans in terms of having opinions. You can lay out what they do from a scouting report and coaching contribution for us if you want. Sutton didn’t exactly light it up at Pitt. These guys seem older and out of touch with the younger players coming in.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Coach Cox was excited to be able to get Kevin Sutton. I will support any staff he brings in. Other than Cox as an assistant, tell me what any of the other assistants contributed under Dan? We don't know. I am sure some made great contributions.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Boswell $143,500
Sutton $179,000
Total $435,000
Recruiting is very important, but assistant coaches are important for reasons that extend far beyond just recruiting.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am not saying that last year's assistant coaches were great. I am saying you need some continuity with your assistant coaches and having open positions for long periods of time is not good. Ace mentioned it earlier that Cox will have to spend his time getting the new assistant coaches up to speed - his offense and defense etc. They will need to spend time learning about the players. Not exactly a good scenario for a Head Coach with one year HC experience and a team that needs to make some major strides with the development of its existing players.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Development of Harris in terms of offense and especially defense with staying out of foul trouble will be of most importance next year. Also whether Tate and Martin continue to develop will determine if we are a tourney team. I’m not sure what the impact Carroll and Sutton had on the young guys good or bad, but whoever is here must make that a priority and trying to make Dowtin and Fatts coexist on a more regular basis. No matter what they do I hope it is done in June for at least Boswell’s position.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Every time URI has had success they had a strong staff. It's imperative that Cox makes good choices here.
It is, and it’s a data point by which to assess his performance as head coach that’s as important as any other aspect of the job.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Every time URI has had success they had a strong staff. It's imperative that Cox makes good choices here.
It is, and it’s a data point by which to assess his performance as head coach that’s as important as any other aspect of the job.
I mean...I agree that it’s important but I’m not sure it makes sense to say that it’s as important as any other aspect of the job. What ultimately matters is wins and losses, and secondary to that is recruiting and player development, scheme and system, roster and rotation management, etc. Assistant coaches are a derivative measurement of all those things - to the extent you need to make a judgment about performance of a head coach with incomplete data in any of the aforementioned categories, looking at the staff can be a useful shorthand because assistant coaches impact all of those things.

But ultimately, if a coach were to win 30 games and go to a Final Four with a staff comprised of his kids and friends, or no staff at all, nobody would be too concerned about his staff; on the other hand, a coach could hire what is universally recognized as a great staff and win 10 games a year and the quality of his staff isn’t going to save him. So I’m not really disagreeing with your real point here about the significance of a coaching staff, but it is overstating things in the extreme to says it’s a data point that is as important as any other aspect of the job. It isn’t.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
I mean...I agree that it’s important but I’m not sure it makes sense to say that it’s as important as any other aspect of the job. What ultimately matters is wins and losses, and secondary to that is recruiting and player development, scheme and system, roster and rotation management, etc. Assistant coaches are a derivative measurement of all those things - to the extent you need to make a judgment about performance of a head coach with incomplete data in any of the aforementioned categories, looking at the staff can be a useful shorthand because assistant coaches impact all of those things.

But ultimately, if a coach were to win 30 games and go to a Final Four with a staff comprised of his kids and friends, or no staff at all, nobody would be too concerned about his staff; on the other hand, a coach could hire what is universally recognized as a great staff and win 10 games a year and the quality of his staff isn’t going to save him. So I’m not really disagreeing with your real point here about the significance of a coaching staff, but it is overstating things in the extreme to says it’s a data point that is as important as any other aspect of the job. It isn’t.
Then we don’t agree on this point, given your last stated opinion. That’s ok.

I also don’t judge a hiring on day one. Why I think it’s equally important- ability to attract a talented pool of candidates and share a vision of what the program is and where it should be going. The first tests a coach’s connections and the job they’ve done with the program to that point. The second is about how a guy can work with and, to some degree, manage.

It’s very possible to make a good hire at URI. Retention is where it can get tricky.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ha ha look at Jerry D's staff while he was here.

That was a great staff by any measure.

Didn't mean squat though, the HC was a douchebag.