2/9 | Dayton | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2/9 | Dayton | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This is why you don't hire a coach to save a recruiting class. URI had big time mojo and could have gotten some serious up and comer. No doubt these all have risk but I was dubious of this hire from the get go. Ask yourself if the 2018 class had zero commits when DH left would you have wanted Cox?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

To the people who said Fatts was the most talented player in the team:

We all scored as many points as he did today.

What a pathetic pathetic effort.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The coaching staff has lost this team and it's obvious to anyone at the game who is seeing the interactions
I hope you’re wrong Rhowdy but Thorr can’t let this performance go without a response....
I don't think he's wrong. It was pretty obvious.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

With about 4:30 left in the game Fatts was subbed out for Omar.

When they passed eachother on the court there was ZERO interaction between the two

No high five, no "good job man".... NOTHING!!!!

There is clearly something wrong behind the scenes and performances like this are only going to make it worse. Embarrassing
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Gonebarongone wrote: 5 years ago This is why you don't hire a coach to save a recruiting class. URI had big time mojo and could have gotten some serious up and comer. No doubt these all have risk but I was dubious of this hire from the get go. Ask yourself if the 2018 class had zero commits when DH left would you have wanted Cox?
I don’t think you can find many coaches who have had success in their very first season as head coach, not many at all, so it’s not all Coach Cox’s fault. But their May lie the mistake made by Thorr, hiring a rookie HC.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Deleted because it was false. Shane cleared it up later on.
Last edited by Blue Man 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

With DH, it was a question of when they would be good, not will they be good. With Cox, i’m afraid neither question comes to mind.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Listening to the coach now. He used words like "we folded" and "I was embarrassed". That's nice, but what's next?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I’ve stopped listening and I think most others will stop listening and going to the games as well.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

TEAM IS A JOKE

great hire

THINK BIG DO WE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

emBARONsing
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

F(L)ATTS !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I’m sorry - am i being out of line ?

Was I so wrong to be calling out this team all season long

TEAM AND COACH BLOWS

we hire a guy w no head coaching experience off of 2 ncaa tourneys ?

JOKE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeteRI wrote: 5 years ago Listening to the coach now. He used words like "we folded" and "I was embarrassed". That's nice, but what's next?
Yeah he really showed it during the game.

So embarrassed. So unacceptable.

I know when I find something embarrassing or unacceptable I react like I’m reading a book in front of a warm fire and make absolutely no changes.

If I were making a million a year to do anything, I would at least make an attempt to make a change or send a message if someone under my control was doing something I deem embarrassing or unacceptable.
Last edited by Blue Man 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The coaching staff has lost this team and it's obvious to anyone at the game who is seeing the interactions
I hope you’re wrong Rhowdy but Thorr can’t let this performance go without a response....
I don't think he's wrong. It was pretty obvious.
Sadly, I’m leaning towards Thorr blowing this up at the end of the season......unless a miraculous 180 occurs.

We cannot lay an egg like that in front of a full house in a gorgeous on campus arena that we worked so hard to fill.

Can’t happen.

Sad because we were on the cusp of hoops glory. We’d be much better off starting from scratch then run the risk seeing this ever again.
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I don’t really want to talk about what happened in the game, I want to talk about the fact that the radio said Dayton needed to get on a flight so they had to go first aka URI wouldn’t hit the podium while most fans were still listening to the show.

That’s a lie.

You are telling me that Dayton, who I believe charters every game - somehow didn’t charter and their staff booked a 7pm commercial flight from PVD after a 4pm game?

Or is our coach who turned in another gutless, emotionless, reactionless performance turtling and running from the spotlight because he’s run out of super bowl excuses for why all of our opponents seem to be ready for games when we’re not.

I’m embarrassed to care about this team. I’m disgusted by what I watched tonight.
Hopefully he wasn't finished ripping into the team....very poor performance all around
Clapton is God
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The positive: made some nice money betting Davidson and Dayton the last two games. Vegas will catch up soon.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

CUT BAIT NOW

I know a certain coaching looking fo get back in
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like Cox but I don’t really trust him to identify what is wrong and fix it. That goes for possession to possession, game to game, and year to year. It’s a shame. The whole thing.

They say that when ppl show you who they are, you should trust them. Fatts isn’t much of a basketball player. Guys with better resumes have been pushed out.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

gorhody89 wrote: 5 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I don’t really want to talk about what happened in the game, I want to talk about the fact that the radio said Dayton needed to get on a flight so they had to go first aka URI wouldn’t hit the podium while most fans were still listening to the show.

That’s a lie.

You are telling me that Dayton, who I believe charters every game - somehow didn’t charter and their staff booked a 7pm commercial flight from PVD after a 4pm game?

Or is our coach who turned in another gutless, emotionless, reactionless performance turtling and running from the spotlight because he’s run out of super bowl excuses for why all of our opponents seem to be ready for games when we’re not.

I’m embarrassed to care about this team. I’m disgusted by what I watched tonight.
Hopefully he wasn't finished ripping into the team....very poor performance all around
I imagine Cox “ripping” into anyone is like a grandma pretending she’s mad at her grandchild on Christmas but still buying them an Xbox anyway.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

This guy BLOWS

He’s no leader

Team is regressing and he gets the blame

Our freshmen aren’t even producing that much

EC/HASS at least gave us promise going thru their freshmen year

Then next year we struck out on our top revreuits
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This team isn’t good. I am disappointed with the defensive effort and the offensive performance. But it is a big overreaction on the program going down the drain and on Coach Cox. To be expected on a team message board I guess. The players are performing poorly. They are down in the dumps based on their performance. Did someone expect Fatts to be all pumped up with 4 minutes left. He just had a horrible game and has had a horrible year. After last season he thought he was going to be a star. A major struggle like this is hard for a 19-20 year old to handle.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

SHOW SOME HEART and GUTS my goodness

CUT BAIT
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know I say it multiple times, But JEFF DOWTIN IS OUR POINT GUARD!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to know who scouted this game and gave the ball to Fatts. Who is it? Because he is wrong.
Last edited by theblueram 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

What a difference a good coach makes.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RIGHT and what a BAD COACH makes
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

GONZAGA OF THE (L)EAST
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I don’t mind losing now if we build and have hope for the future. I don’t see the building and I have no hope. Based upon this year’s performance what for Startt recruit would want to come and play for URI?
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I don’t mind losing now if we are building and have hope for the future. I don’t see the building and I have no hope. Based upon this year’s performance, what 4 star recruit would want to come and play for URI?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yes, the issue right now has nothing to do with wins and losses. I expected a mediocre season in that regard. It's the way we're losing and how we are looking in the process that is the issue. Granted teams rarely look good when losing, but this is on another level right now.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

what I’ve been complaining about all year

Glad ppl are seeing the light on this joke of a team and joke of a coach
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

A few observations other than the fact that we were terrible....1. Will Leviton showed more fire and emotion in 2 minutes than anyone else has all season. Good for Will, bad for everyone else. 2. At this point, we're just looking for a little improvement. We're seeing exactly the opposite. 3. I'm glad Kyle Van Noy wasn't here to see this. I'm sorry Jimmy Baron was here to see this. 4. Why is Fatts the last person introduced during the player introductions? Normally it's a senior or your best player. We don't have seniors, so it should be your best player...Maybe this is insignificant. Maybe it isn't. Was Fatts promised some things if he agreed to come back instead of transferring. Was he promised the most minutes regardless of how well or how poorly he plays? Was he promised to be introduced last? Anything else?.....just wondering.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not much to really say about that horrific performance. It was bad enough today to be reminsicient of the Jerry D years. It was my first trip back to the Ryan Center since the GMU debacle and made it two straight games where I left the building with minutes left on the clock. I got out of there with 8 minutes remaining today and I was not alone in walking out to the north lots as people were starting to leave en masse. Sorry I bought a mini plan this season and have to endure two more games. I would advise others to stay away from this train wreck if you haven't already purchased tickets. There is nothing worth coming out for. This team is just flat out bad. I would now not be surprised to see a finish with a sub .500 record. I think it will get even uglier as discontent from all quarters rises and would not be surprised to see departures.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

CUT BAIT why ppl remember we were in the NCAA

GONZAGA OF THE (L)EAST
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Oh yeah, I forgot, I guess even the band was embarrassed. The entire band got up and left with 10 minutes still left in the game.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Did they ?

emBARONsing

Wow / that’s unacceptable
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Oh yeah, I forgot, I guess even the band was embarrassed. The entire band got up and left with 10 minutes still left in the game.
They came in to play in front of the students. Unfortunately most left by then
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago A few observations other than the fact that we were terrible....1. Will Leviton showed more fire and emotion in 2 minutes than anyone else has all season. Good for Will, bad for everyone else. 2. At this point, we're just looking for a little improvement. We're seeing exactly the opposite. 3. I'm glad Kyle Van Noy wasn't here to see this. I'm sorry Jimmy Baron was here to see this. 4. Why is Fatts the last person introduced during the player introductions? Normally it's a senior or your best player. We don't have seniors, so it should be your best player...Maybe this is insignificant. Maybe it isn't. Was Fatts promised some things if he agreed to come back instead of transferring. Was he promised the most minutes regardless of how well or how poorly he plays? Was he promised to be introduced last? Anything else?.....just wondering.
Good post Billyboy....though i can't comment on Will's efforts. For the first time in 3 years I left the arena before the game ended (under 4 timeout). I've been saying all along that Fatts was made promises to stay. There are never apparent repercussions for anything he does. And that goes back to the Harvard game when he blatantly disregarded the coach. I'm starting to feel like Thompson has some pictures or something on Cox as well. He is horrible yet still sees 30 minutes a game. Disgusting.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

What school band leaves w 10 mins left ??

THINK BIG DO WE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Is 7,259 a sellout?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Save your apologies - I don’t want to hear them right now
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Is 7,259 a sellout?
Not when the arena has 7,657 seats.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

They are going to lose the fan base, again.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

CUT BAIT
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

JD, TM, FR, CT, and DT were a combined 5 for 32 from the field. 16%.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago What school band leaves w 10 mins left ??

THINK BIG DO WE
The band leaves to set up for the under 8 time out where they play charge to the student section.

They stayed and played quite well til the bitter end.

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

And it was very obvious, as others have mentioned, that something is seriously wrong with the chemistry/attitude of this team. Silverio wouldn't acknowledge the coach when pulled the first time. Harris too. Lot's of horrible body language. Just seems like some of these guys just don't like each other. Is there a double standard? Don't know. All I know is that something is terribly wrong.

We might see a real rebuild next year.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't blame Cox - he is what he is - the problem is with URI and Thor. Coming off 2 NCAA seasons, same as when Harrick left, URI saw a coaches departure as a problem rather than an opportunity to put up the dollars and hire a big-time coach. This was the time to pay a head coach what Georgia and UCONN were willing to pay a coach. Instead we went cheap and hired an assistant for less than the coach we lost while raising ticket prices and bleeding money out of supporters based on past success. I'.m not seeing players getting better or performing up to expectations.

I like Coach Cox,but he wasn't ready for this job.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I was for the Cox hiring and still hope he develops, but starting to have my doubts. I feel like he is still on the recruiting trail...Recruiting the players on his own team. Maybe good recruiters just don't make good coaches. They have a different rapport with the players. More big brother than parent. NO tough love.

Cox watched this game get out of control. He did nothing to try to stop it. We got beat off the dribble every time down the court. The rotations were late or weak. How about trying to zone coach? You can't cover them man up....why not try something different instead of standing there like a deer looking in headlights.

Can't blame him for the horrendous shooting, but can blame his rotations. Omar gets in the game with about 10 minutes to go? i know he was ineffective, but the game was over by then. Give him a chance. Give Tate more minutes. Give Harris more minutes. Hell give Levitton more minutes i have seen enough of Thompson. He is flat out horrible and should be nothing more than a substitute to give a guy a breather. No more than 5 minutes a game.