10/25| Pace | 7PM (WRIU-Radio) (EXHIBITION)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 10/25| Pace | 7PM (WRIU-Radio) (EXHIBITION)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Can't take too much from a practice game, but agree with Iggy on these 2 especially...

The defensive intensity wasn't there like it has been. Maybe it's a case of first time under the bright lights for many.
Hopefully, it develops back to the point where, it looks like our D will be a full time pita for opponents.
But couldn't you argue the the defensive intensity would be hurt by the fact that it's only a practice game and not the real thing?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Too many folks drawing conclusions already.

Coach was poised, and I think he’s going through his read and react phase now. I’m sure he will adjust, but allowing the kids to make mistakes and see the mistakes on film will better prepare all, to rectify them.

Not worried in the least.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This was my favorite tweet of the night-

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

J.V they need you.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Regarding the position Cox had during the game. He was evaluating and had Sutton coach the game. Dan did this last year in an exhibition game. He had Cox coach the game last year. Sutton was making the substitutions.

The coaches were dressed casual as well.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Regarding the position Cox had during the game. He was evaluating and had Sutton coach the game. Dan did this last year in an exhibition game. He had Cox coach the game last year. Sutton was making the substitutions.

The coaches were dressed casual as well.
Cox called the timeouts and was in charge in the huddle. I think Sutton was active because he had the scout.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Iggy1979 wrote:A small thing, but would like to see him stand on the sideline.
Looks like he is sitting down at the scorers table getting ready to check in.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

FWIW, Pace is a member of the fifteen school D2 Northeast 10 Conference and in their recent Pre-season Coaches poll, Pace was picked for last place.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago FWIW, Pace is a member of the fifteen school D2 Northeast 10 Conference and in their recent Pre-season Coaches poll, Pace was picked for last place.
Wow! That is not encouraging. Hopefully it was a game they had a hard time getting up for especially on the defensive end.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

R[i wrote:[/i]hodymob05 post_id=379203 time=1540569869 user_id=539]
J.V they need you.
I'm sure Niki will be fine doing the promotional stuff. I just can't picture her yelling "Rhody, Rhody, Rhody" to get the crowd fired up. Maybe a Ruckus leader will need to take over that duty.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago FWIW, Pace is a member of the fifteen school D2 Northeast 10 Conference and in their recent Pre-season Coaches poll, Pace was picked for last place.
But, based on the two exhibition/scrimmage results, perhaps they could be competitive in the Big East.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Really enjoyed my first beer at the Rhody Pub last night :lol: It was surreal sitting in the stands.

I’ve been told Niki will have a partner this season who will fill the “hype man” role.

I thought she did a great job for her first game.That job is not easy and it’ll definitely take some time to settle in. I was a bumbling nervous wreck my entire first season - I’m confident she’ll get more comfortable & do a fine job.

Can’t wait for the season to get started.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
spookydog wrote: 5 years ago
Ah ha...So that is what he is doing. Sitting behind the bench, I could barely see him (as you can see from the photo I posted earlier).
I did notice the ref run into him a couple times when getting back on a play.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Too many folks drawing conclusions already.

Coach was poised, and I think he’s going through his read and react phase now. I’m sure he will adjust, but allowing the kids to make mistakes and see the mistakes on film will better prepare all, to rectify them.

Not worried in the least.

Thank you. Same here.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

EZ Buckets was a bumbling nervous wreck for every game he ever did.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I want a David Cox to be himself, not the anti Hurley, be comfortable in all phases of the job, be respectful of officials, be an ambassador of the Univetsity......and win games......stand, sit, kneel, teach......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago EZ Buckets was a bumbling nervous wreck for every game he ever did.....
Your 10 years of constant heckling from the cheap seats didn’t help matters.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Having three players that are capable of scoring 20pts night in night out in the A10 is usually enough to DANCE for an A 10 team.

GO SOX!

GO RHODY!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

For people overly concerned that we didn’t look too polished last night.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Are there any highlights of this game anywhere?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This can happen
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago This can happen
Re-open the Woody Hayes watch...
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

For all the Harris worry, I get it. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't he start playing basketball for the first time less than 5 years ago? I may be completely wrong, but from what I remember, he never played organized basketball until early high school. Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong. But if I'm right, his upside is tremendous, with the athleticism and skills he's shown in such a small sample size. Whether or not he realizes that potential remains to be seen. As much as I hate to say it, it may be a year full of growing pains from Harris, but it's absolutely worth every minute of growing pains to hopefully realize the potential he might reach.

On a different note, I love what I've seen from Martin and Tate. I think Tate is the most ready right now, but Martin is going to be a very solid player very soon. And in regards to Fatts, I'll end on this. I know how high most people are on him on here, and we're all probably a bunch of complete homers. But I will take it to another level and say that I see NBA potential written all over Fatts' game and personality. I see a little bit of combination of Allen Iverson, Avery Bradley, and Isaiah Thomas in him. I just love the confidence/swag someone like that shows game in and game out, regardless of how well they're playing. He is already showing the leadership and maturity qualities of someone well beyond his age.

I'll end my ridiculous homerish rant on that lol.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

urirx wrote: 5 years ago The freshmen looked like freshmen. we have some reasonable early games to for them to get up to game speed. there are going to be WTF games both ways, like we had with Fatts last year, except instead of one player having the moment, the entire team will.

The big three took on visible leadership roles on the court, with at least two times I saw Fatts grab the group during a free throw huddle and help direct the attention of teammates.

The basics are there for this group to rock the Ryan Center for the next two years, but this year is going to be a reminder why the last two, and hopefully the next two, were/will be such special years in URI basketball timeline.
Thinking back on the game, I think this take sums it up really well. Even if this season has its ups and down, with some WTF moments as you say, those things are easier to weather when the future looks as bright as it does. It’s talented guys learning, not midddle of the road guys taking up space.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Harris isn’t a development player. He is a Top 100 recruit. He is behind because of the miss practice from his injury. Cox said that at practice last week. He is fully participating in practice now. He will be a key contributor this year.

Additional thought from the game.
The entire team shot poorly from the outside. Jeff didn’t make any outside shots. Jeff is deadly with that floater going to the basket.
The Fr outside shots all came up short. I would associate that with first game gitters. Omar hit a nice three then launched two from the Alex & Ani logo on the next two possessions without running the offense. Coach took him out - learning momemt.

Fatts needs to improve on defense. He is trying to steal the ball on every possession. He got beat for layups and twice he fouled his guy at 25 feet with 3 & 4 seconds left on the shot clock.

There were concerns that Fatts had no FTA vs St Johns. He drove and got to the line vs Pace. 8-10 from FT line

The only thing I questioned about Harris was awareness of what is a foul on D. He came back in with three fouls and was pushing his guy in the box all over the place and the ball was nowhere near them. Picked up his 4th foul in a few seconds. Hopefully thst was just being hyped up for his first game.

Cyril had two fouls that weren’t his. He picked up his 4th with 6 minutes left and Cox took him out and didn’t put him back in. If it was a regular game he would’ve come back with 4:00 to play.

I looked at the box score and was surprised that Tate only played 16 minutes. He is starting but Martin is playing more.
I like Tate a lot. Solid on D and rebounding and a good FT shooter. I think Cox mentioned that Dana got hurt in St Johns scrimmage so that could be why the lower minutes in the two games (12 & 16).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, eventually Harris starts over Tate? Or is this the starting lineup we see, at least for a while?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks for the perspective R83. I was a bit concerned about Harris but knowing he missed practice makes me breath easier.
Slava Ukraini!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Harris fouled out a lot in high school. So playing defense without fouling is something he will need to learn. I envision quite a few Cyril type freshman year games while he figures it out.
It could be a limiting factor for this team .
At least early on.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't think URI has really trounced lower opponents since I saw a Keith Cothran led team @ Brown. URI made brown look like a CYO team playing the Lakers that night. They should be fine, they haven't punched down too hard over the past 8 years.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Maybe if Tate is as good as Harris it’s not that Harris isn’t a Top 100 recruit but it is that Tate should have been. Know a lot of smart basketball people that felt Tate was way under ranked last year.

GO RHODY!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

brady1 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe if Tate is as good as Harris it’s not that Harris isn’t a Top 100 recruit but it is that Tate should have been. Know a lot of smart basketball people that felt Tate was way under ranked last year.

GO RHODY!
Tate and Martin got great experience playing Prep last year. They play more games and against top competition. The Prep progams are much closer to the college experience related to practicing and strength & conditioning.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Plenty of great teams lose exhibitions to DII squads then have great seasons.
GO RAMS
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Pictures-

https://sports.photobyfriday.com/Sports ... /URI-Pace/

Fatts must be a fun guy to photograph. He’s always doing something with his face, and it makes for some great shots.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great photos indeed . Dana wearing Hassan old number and Omar has a wierd release with one arm on the ball