‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop (Xavier > St Joe’s > FGCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 PA SG - Dahmir Bishop

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The pic in Cox’s office was a cutout of Bishop. He posted another pic of it just inside the RC entrance:). He also posted the standard video clip of him in uniform in front of canvas throwing the ball behind the back.

He is ranked similar to Harris last year. We need to win on his relationships with Coach Cox and Fatts.
“We will be good when we are good.”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

This is our number one target for those not paying attention. We are putting everything into landing this kid!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hopefully Jared Terrell can be a bit involved, unless he's too busy with the NBA!!!!!! Cmon Dahmir!!! Let's rock this place!!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CT Rhody wrote:This is our number one target for those not paying attention. We are putting everything into landing this kid!
A lot of people aren't that much into recruiting. I love it. I go to see as many of the prospects as I can play live when they play in tournaments in the area (mostly New England prep schools). Then again, I'm kind of obsessed with basketball...I have not seen Dahmir live though.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:Hopefully Jared Terrell can be a bit involved, unless he's too busy with the NBA!!!!!! Cmon Dahmir!!! Let's rock this place!!!!
Dahmir doesn’t know Terrell. He was Fatts high school teammate. Coach Cox has been recruiting him for 3 years.
Fatts posted Instagram video clip today with Dahmir. Looks like they are at lunch. Dahmir wearing his NBPA Top 100 sweatshirt.
Dahmir is friends with Fatts. They play hoops together when Fatts goes home to Philly.

Here are some pics from Instagram:
Dahmir is #5 (edited)

Dahmir bending down in front. Championship photo

Dahmir & Fatts stretching pregame
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Actually, he's #5.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Corrected.
Bishop took Fatts’ #1 after Fatts graduated.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Imagine this in Keaney Blue. Two pictures here. Hit the arrow to see the continuation
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blowing up....even before the July period.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We still have a shot....but a verbal needs to happen now imo….if he waits to take his official visits, even though we may get one, the odds of us getting him become longer.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The most recent people he's following are coaches from Marquette, Dayton, South Carolina, Wake Forest and Xavier. I agree, the longer it goes, the less likely we get him. If he's as good as I think he is, even better offers are coming in July.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Everyone needs to relax, I have no inside knowledge but every top 100 kids will have a million offers. Relationships matter at this point so we need to stay on him and let him make his decision on his timeline.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If he wouldn't pick URI over those schools in October, why would he do it now? If you believe those offers are coming, I'm sure he does, too. Honestly, if he wants to pick his school based on name brand and not relationships and shared vision, then why would he commit now rather than wait to see what else comes his way? And if he did commit now even though he wants those things, that's a prime contender for a decommit before signing day.

If he is so sold on URI that he wants to commit tomorrow, hell yes sign me up for that. Love the player and think he'd be a great fit for Rhody and a great start to recruiting for Coach Cox. But I don't mind a guy weighing his options and I don't think URI should pressure him to commit early in the process. Makes us look kind of weak. If you want players like this, you're going to have to compete with big time programs to get them, so you have to act like a big time program yourself.

It's like dating. You don't want to ask the hot girl to marry you on your third date because you're afraid if you don't move fast she'll meet someone better. It may end up that she ends up marrying someone else eventually, anyways, but I think you have to be cool and play the process out. When we say "this guy has to decide now before he blows up," it sounds an awful lot like "I hope this guy sells himself short and commits to us before he realizes how valued he actually is." That isn't how I think about it. We should be able to compete for players of this caliber who value the things what we can provide. We competed that way for our marquee recruit last year and won.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am feeling pretty good about this situation. Let's not forget that Coach Cox recruited a top 100 guy in Jermaine Harris and we now can double team Bishop with Coach and Fatts.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm looking at it more from Bishop's point of view rather than our point of view. I'm not saying we should pressure him to commit. But I think this is going to be a difficult one. I think we do have a shot. Harris was a special situation. He had a close, 4 year relationship with Cox. Would be a great signing for our first year coach, for sure.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm looking at it more from Bishop's point of view rather than our point of view. I'm not saying we should pressure him to commit. But I think this is going to be a difficult one. I think we do have a shot. Harris was a special situation. He had a close, 4 year relationship with Cox. Would be a great signing for our first year coach, for sure.
I think the recruiting process for Bishop is very similar to Harris. Jermaine had Big East Champ Xavier come at him hard. His comment when he committed was that URI has been with him since his Fr year. Coach Cox has been watching Bishop since his Fr year and seriously recruiting him since his Soph year (once Fatts gave his verbal). How many Imhotep games to you think Shaka has seen? Answer is none.

Bishop looked up to Fatts. They are friends. The Cox and Fatts relationships give URI a unique advantage.
If Bishop places a significant value on relationships in making his decision, URI should get him.
I still think URI has a good chance regardless of the weight Bishop places on the length of relationships.
Cox has mentioned that URI does very well if a player visits. Check that box off for Bishop.
I would expect Bishop to have an official visit to Kingston in Sept/Oct.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Yeah but Hurley was the closer now Cox has to transition into that role. First one in doesn't guarantee anything but my fingers are crossed
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Iggy1979 wrote:Yeah but Hurley was the closer now Cox has to transition into that role. First one in doesn't guarantee anything but my fingers are crossed
Hurley was the closer - but so were the kids on the team. I think we had success when recruits came because we have a good bunch of guys on the team who enjoy playing together. Ultimately a recruit, and his family, has to be comfortable with the 15-20 guys (including staff) they are going to spend 90% of their time with in college. I think we still have an advantage there as we have been recruiting really high character kids to the program and all of our targets seem the same.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Yeah but Hurley was the closer now Cox has to transition into that role. First one in doesn't guarantee anything but my fingers are crossed
I think the key part of being first in with a recruit like this is the goodwill you generate and the head start you have in building the relationship. URI's recruiting strategy shouldn't be hoping that a kid makes a premature decision that he might later regret when he realizes he had options that he'd have preferred but didn't know about at the time. You can build on the early relationship and bring that to the table at decision time, but you still have to be prepared to fight it out until the end and realize that you might not end up getting every player just because you were there early. At least that's my take. URI has a lot to offer a player of Dahmir's caliber, and the combination of that and the relationships that have been built or that we're fortunate to have is hopefully enough.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dahmir at Marquette today on unofficial visit.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:Dahmir at Marquette today on unofficial visit.
And he has a photo of him wearing a MU jersey on his IG Story....
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

If he comes back for an "official" visit I think it will be to commit, so it's a wait and see for a couple months probably. There are others we can get but I think he's a very important "get" for next year and to keep this train moving forward. Him and "ANT" would be real nice and then the 3rd scholly could be whatever/whomever they feel like getting (4 *- project big??).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

That's as bad as saying Rhode Island University!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3:00 Sunday at Imhotep. Dahmir’s AAU team against the team Fatts played for.
Rhody fans in Philly go catch Dahmir and show your Rhody colors.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He’s getting the kind of recruiting attention that Fatts never quite garnered.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:

He’s getting the kind of recruiting attention that Fatts never quite garnered.
6’5” G compared to 5’10” G.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dahmir is answering questions via his IG video, someone want to try asking him who the leader in his recruitment is right now?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Getting lots of interest. Temple has the head coach and assistant coach there.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Where are they watching Bishop? His K Low team is playing in the Adidas Gauntlet but their first game isn’t until Fri at 1:00.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Elevate Hoops/Summer Icebreaker in New Jersey
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Going to the Gauntlet tonight, any guys participating besides Bishop that we are looking at?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Going to the Gauntlet tonight, any guys participating besides Bishop that we are looking at?
Anthony Walker, Team BBC, 8:15.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Going to the Gauntlet tonight, any guys participating besides Bishop that we are looking at?
Anthony Walker, Team BBC, 8:15.
Court 2...
http://adidasgauntlet.com/boys-schedule ... -schedule/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mass Rivals @ 3:15 - Akok Akok & Tyler Burton.
Rhody offered both I believe but it was a long time ago
Bishop’s first game is Friday at 1:00
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Mass Rivals @ 3:15 - Akok Akok & Tyler Burton.
Rhody offered both I believe but it was a long time ago
Bishop’s first game is Friday at 1:00
Wildens Leveque is also on Mass Rivals, I believe we have offered him. I think Akok is a Hurley guy. UConn seems to be still heavily involved.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, Iggy is saying on twitter that Cox and 2 assistants are watching Bishop today. Obviously, he's our top priority.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop is the real deal. Can jump thru the roof. Just scored back-to-back 3s (one conventional & one from deep). Led the break in next possession with an assist for an 8-0 run.

Three Rhody coaches on the sideline watching (Cox, Boswell & Carroll).
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop’s strength is driving. He can finish. Unselfish too passing the ball. Rare in an AAU that the best scorer passes the ball.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop is clearly Rhody’s #1 priority.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Getting lots of interest. Temple has the head coach and assistant coach there.
I know we also brought the cavalry, but seems less notable in Temple’s case since Dunphy is “retiring” and they already have his successor on the staff.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He better not go to PC.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Exactly my sentiment
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He isn’t going to PC. Cooley showed up late and stood between two courts. He kept turning around on the K Low game to watch the other court. Bishop had a slam dunk that almost hit Cooley. Cox, Ty & Carroll were all sitting courtside before warmups started. Ty watched him Weds in NJ. They are on him.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is the other game Cooley was watching
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

PC is pretty loaded in the back court for the near future with David Duke (FR), Makai Ashton-Langford (Soph) and AJ Reeves (FR) all being top 100 recruits and early in college careers. Just don't see it making sense for Bishop but Cooley is a heck of a coach and recruiter so I'm not ruling it out.