The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by xcrun »

steviep123 wrote:
Maybe all is not lost
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Cox takes over for Danny; Boswell takes over for Cox; Buchanon takes over for Boswell.

That's the obvious move, if you ask me.
And I could take over for snake-in-the-grass Tom Moore and it would be an upgrade. Never mind if they hire someone actually good.
I never said it at the time, though now I'm wishing I acknowledged my paranoia, but I NEVER liked that hire from the first moment. It felt like there was more at play than him being a coach here. I didn't think it would lead to Danny at UConn but I knew something was off. He wasn't the type of guy Danny usually hires.
While we are doing this, I'll say something I've been biting my tongue on: I didn't like the vibe of the Norlander piece everyone went gaga over. I read it as Dan signaling to the world that he was now safe for them to mess with. Those stories don't get out there like that. That one had a little too many "media strategist" fingerprints on it for my liking. Water under the bridge now, but I've been sitting on that take for a while and no better time to get it off my chest. Won't care this time next week and didn't want to upset anyone before today.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.
Cox takes over for Danny; Boswell takes over for Cox; Buchanon takes over for Boswell.

Who takes over for Moore?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.

Judas
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Happy to see Tate and Martin recommitting. Let’s hope Harris and Adams follow suit.
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

And I could take over for snake-in-the-grass Tom Moore and it would be an upgrade. Never mind if they hire someone actually good.
I never said it at the time, though now I'm wishing I acknowledged my paranoia, but I NEVER liked that hire from the first moment. It felt like there was more at play than him being a coach here. I didn't think it would lead to Danny at UConn but I knew something was off. He wasn't the type of guy Danny usually hires.
...and a daily commute from Tolland is not a long term plan, yet when I talked to him at the Buffalo scrimmage, he seemed to have no intention on moving. Heck, we bought season tickets living in that area before we moved here and were freaking out about the possibility we wouldn't have a house or get moved here before the season started...and that's just for 7-8 games a month
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

JT III....wasn't Cox his assistant for a couple years? Just reverse the rolls
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RIFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Judas
Brutus
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RIFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Who takes over for Moore?
Judas
Brutus
Goofy?
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
While we are doing this, I'll say something I've been biting my tongue on: I didn't like the vibe of the Norlander piece everyone went gaga over. I read it as Dan signaling to the world that he was now safe for them to mess with. Those stories don't get out there like that. That one had a little too many "media strategist" fingerprints on it for my liking. Water under the bridge now, but I've been sitting on that take for a while and no better time to get it off my chest. Won't care this time next week and didn't want to upset anyone before today.
You aren't alone. This is a conversation my best friend and I have had all year long. There was an obvious push to make a favorable splash in the media this year and I was always worried it was to market Danny himself, not the university and our program... and it looks like I was at least partially right.

I really did want to believe it was him playing his cards right for the benefit of the program... and it was, in many ways. But the rhetoric was nearly all bullshit. That might hurt more than anything else being as he paints himself as such an honest and direct character. To me, at least, it appears pretty obvious that there were back channel negotiations going on about this job for a while... starting with Moore ending up on our staff and putting out feelers.

Once those feelers started to show positive signs, UConn calls the cops on themselves as a way to get Ollie out. Now they have the grounds to start talking directly and Danny, who, frustrated with our conference, shows interest. Checkmate. This also clears Calhoun of his poor recommendation following his retirement and the opportunity to redeem himself by recommending Hurley.

Starting with the pieces about Danny getting himself under control via meditation I always thought that this was an attempt to improve his marketable image. Maybe that's what the administration at UConn called for directly before they'd really consider him. I don't know. I don't want to assume too much but something stinks around here and of course Calhoun's name is connected to it.

The last thing that makes this whole situation reek with suspicion is how strong we came out and offered him in response to UConn. I don't think he expected that. We called his bluff and he folded.
Last edited by the_one_mike 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

Do you think we lose Harris?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have always been a Pitino guy since going back to PC in 85 so it wont disappoint me if we reach out to him as our 1st choice

If no interest there I like Cox to be the guy keep the continuity and the recruits!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I had some names in mind in case this happened, but seems like it's not worth having the discussion if Rothstein was right and Cox is coach in waiting. If it appears we have a search I'll double back
Who were the names?
Top of the list:

David Cox: risky because he's never been a head coach, highest short term reward because he's most likely to keep the whole roster together. His experience says he's due for a head coach position.

Preston Murphy: risky because he's never been a head coach, highest long term reward because if anyone is going to view URI as a destination and not a stepping stone, it's him. Preston was exactly where David Cox is now a few years ago. Would have current members of the senior class able to vouch for him to the younger guys. Has a son already offered by Buffalo, so that could be a nice bonus if he ends up being an A10 level player who wants to play for his dad.

Nate Oats: Successful at Buffalo. EC could vouch for him. Not worried about his buyout, that's why you had a buyout in Dan's contract, just roll over UConn's cash to Buffalo. Probably already out of the running though unless things don't work out with Pitt.

Your next coach is almost definitely one of those three.

Other intriguing names:

Dane Fife: currently an assistant at Michigan State, has been there since 2011. Was linked to the Duquesne job last off-season. Previously the head coach at IPFW for six years, his teams got better every year. Downside is he's been strictly Midwest his whole life.

Patrick Beilein: John's son. His last two years he's earned number one seeds in the Division 2 tournament

Micah Shrewsbury: assistant to Brad Stevens at Butler and now with the Celtics

Name I'm worried about: Derek Kellogg: previous relationship with Thorr, had a make good year at LIU. I could see him getting an interview to help him out. Hopefully that's all it is, because he wasn't good at UMass.

Name I'm all the way out on: Cluess
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

reef wrote:I have always been a Pitino guy since going back to PC in 85 so it wont disappoint me if we reach out to him as our 1st choice

If no interest there I like Cox to be the guy keep the continuity and the recruits!!
Well that would get Rhody on Sportcenter.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Vinstu wrote:Do you think we lose Harris?
Only if we lose Cox.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

All fair names and appear would be great hires. Fife is a guy I thought about when all this started. His is one of the mostly highly touted P5 assistant. But my vote would be for Cox, he has been here knows culture, players like him, everything that has been mentioned and he outright deserves a chance here. When you hire an assistant from within, its to keep the continuity of a winning culture. It's a different situation if you fire coach from lack of success at which point obviously you wouldn't promote an assistant from within, but , also you may be much more hesitant to hire someone without head coaching experience to resurrect a program
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I am way out on Kellogg
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I stopped reading that article at DH's quote saying "I'm kind of a beautiful..."

I was sour the rest of the season. The team's play on the court changed from there.

Totally agree.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Any official word or video of thorrs 2pm press conference
giovanni
Carlton Owens

No Cluess No Kellogg.....I'm too old for this again `15 years of mediocrity
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Kellogg? Where that come from? Lets not hire people that have built in hate for us or us for them.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Rhodysk wrote:Any official word or video of thorrs 2pm press conference
1pm tomorrow

EDIT: sorry read that quick. Thought it said storrs.
Last edited by RhodyRams12 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is not common.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Not to take anything away from Hurley's coaching ability, but did anyone ever view him as a great tactician? I sure didn't. Some of the offensive "sets" he ran were mind-numbing. Is Cox a better x's and o's guy? Not sure, but maybe he's a step up from Hurley in that regard, who knows. I just feel that with the right coach in place, and the commitment from our current players and incoming recruits to stay the course, we can still be a very good team next season. This is still a team on the rise with bigger and better things on the horizon. Hurley's gone. I'm over it. Time to look forward to the next chapter of URI basketball.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If your list has assistant coaches on it no need to bother Cox is our man. When a name or names of head coaches that have far better resumes than Dan come on the radar they need to be considered.

GO RHODY!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Billyboy78 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Great question. Truthfully, I don't have enough insight into the quality of prospects in assistant coaching throughout the country.

This is where losing Danny will hurt most. His name recognition was enough to secure talented coaches that could learn from him and leverage his network for their next opportunity.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

What about Padgett from Louisville?
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Outstanding press release whatever Thorr decides I’m 100% behind.

GO RHODY!
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

https://twitter.com/_jharris1?lang=en

Someone who is better at Twitter than me...Has Harris always had that "Elite 8" retweet on the top of his page?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......my guess Cox already has staff in mind.....some holdovers some not.....assuming their is interest by both parties.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sooooo no press conference then? Seems like we don't really need one at this point Thorr's comments were what you'd expect. I don't really need to hear from anyone until a hire is made - unless he wants to dish dirt on the last week/month to Koch or Disano in an actual interview, but that's not going to happen at a press conference.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

mstyles22 wrote:https://twitter.com/_jharris1?lang=en

Someone who is better at Twitter than me...Has Harris always had that "Elite 8" retweet on the top of his page?
I dont think so... looks like he just retweeted it himself
Last edited by rhodysurf 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

yikes.. i hope so
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote:

No... looks like he just retweeted it himself

really ?

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

this is not good at all
DaveMac00
Jim Eitner

Unread post by DaveMac00 »

He has always had it up there.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yes, been there since before he committed.
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Lol relax, he’s always had that up there. Since before and after his commitment.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

oh phew - had me worried
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

can you tell i am on edge here ?!!?

it has NOT been a good day !
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

step off the ledge fellas. that tweet is simply pinned to the top (same as a sticky thread here). It's been there since July 17
---
---
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Nothing to see here. Just a 37 year old father of 2 who doesn't know how Twitter works...

Thank you for ending the mini panic attack. Carry on...
Last edited by mstyles22 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodysurf wrote:I am way out on Kellogg
Say no to Kellogg, Cluess or Pitino. Absolutely yes for Cox. He would have been ready for aHC position elsewhere and he maintains continuity.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If URI can
A. Hire an in-house coach
B. Keep players/recruits

Then all is well.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

To bring two points of interest in this thread, Coach Cox is doing God's work on twitter right now. He is not asleep at the wheel.

https://twitter.com/coachdc202

We ready to move on. Let's GO!
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Rhodysk wrote:Any official word or video of thorrs 2pm press conference
Koch will be tweeting from presser...
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

LMAOOOO at that DDPerks tagline ^^^
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Read between the lines..
mstyles22
Kenny Green

DC_Rams wrote:

Read between the lines..
I'm choosing to read this as: "I'm waiting for Cox to be formally announced as coach."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote:

Read between the lines..
grreeeaaatttt

here's to hoping that's just them saying "lets wait and see if Cox is coach"
---
---