'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (Offer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Would you take McGonagil from Brown? I sure would.
PC offered Cotton only after Young bolted for Houston. He wasn't even rated by Rivals or ESPN.
Yes, you can find players out there who don't have a lot of stars next to their names and coach them up.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RhodyHoops‏@RhodyHoops2m
Latest list for PG Jarvis Garrett (no particular order): Marquette, Creighton, Cinn., Arkansas, URI. @COOLKID_GARRETT #gorhody
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

As expected his list is improving. UTEP and Wisconsin-Milwaukee gone; Cinn, Marquette and Arkansas added. URI and Creighton have been on the list for quite some time.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Marquette could change things. That's where he is from, isn't it?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Yep. This is the time of year, IMHO, where kids make mistakes and are swept off their feet by a school that comes in late.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He tweeted about having a great time at the Marquette game last weekend.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

With apologies to Jarvis and his thread... they're both my guys, and the elite college player/NBA thing will always sell. But there's more than just the one element that's different, though- APR concerns, the head coach mentioned publicly in connection with a new job, and just the reality of a season of actual games and the state/recent history of the program. In the way that such things get around, two of those things were reportedly emphasized to at least one guy on their radar by others around him.

Also- has anyone ever looked at transfer numbers of player with regards to when they sign (early or late signing period)?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ace: what?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:Ace: what?
Which part? All of it?
Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure either. Are we talking about Terrell here?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not sure either. Are we talking about Terrell here?
My recruit comment? No, not Terrell (that I know of). My comments in general were in response to the talk about how much not having Bobby matters.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:With apologies to Jarvis and his thread... they're both my guys, and the elite college player/NBA thing will always sell. But there's more than just the one element that's different, though- APR concerns, the head coach mentioned publicly in connection with a new job, and just the reality of a season of actual games and the state/recent history of the program. In the way that such things get around, two of those things were reportedly emphasized to at least one guy on their radar by others around him.

Also- has anyone ever looked at transfer numbers of player with regards to when they sign (early or late signing period)?
sorry ace, but I am confused as well. Is this a good news story related to Garrett or is this a pessimistic story? Please help me understand better, thanks
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not about Garrett, hence my "apologies to Jarvis" comment about continuing to mess up his thread with general recruiting talk. The "both my guys" was in reference to Danny and Bobby. There seems to be two topics going on in here, sorry for the confusion.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Why is Bobby bad-mouthing Danny on the recruiting trail ?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We are definitely going to be neg recruited. That just happens, and if you haven't won anything in as long as we've gone here, you can expect that other programs will make sure kids know that. Coaches have to find a way to deal with it. As far as Bobby and Dan go, if Dan can't recruit anyone without Bobby then we should have hired Bobby. I don't believe that is the case. I think Ace is right about the results last year making it harder for our staff than when Dan first arrived and he could sell that he was going to do big things here. I think he can and he should still be selling that, it's just a little harder coming off a 7 win season that you own. Finishing this year on the upswing would be a big help, not just for salvaging '14 but for getting on track for '15.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Why is Bobby bad-mouthing Danny on the recruiting trail ?
What?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Isn't that what Ace said ?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Isn't that what Ace said ?
I don't think so. I think she is saying that losing Bobby hurt, but that negative recruiting by other programs (including about APR, which Dan has publicly commented on) is also having an impact.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote:Isn't that what Ace said ?
Not at all. That would never, ever happen.

I blame Jarelle. I apparently was much more clear before the picture change.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ace is now missing layups, too.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I took Ace to mean other coaches and "advisors" were talking trash
about Hurley and possible APR implications down the road, ala UConn.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think Ace was also saying that other guys on the trail are saying Danny can't do what he is promising without Bobby.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Our Staff is excellent with or without Bobby, I was sorry to see him go, but also excited for him to grow Danny's coaching tree. The job Dan has here is a tough one and he's dealing with all facets in stride. As far as Bobby's recruiting for us, I have no doubt he was a major asset to the program, but Preston isn't exactly chopped liver over here, I'm still confident that when all summed up the four coaches we have in the recruiting mix are well above average at the task.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do you think Terrell would have come here if Bobby was still here?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodylaw wrote:I think Ace was also saying that other guys on the trail are saying Danny can't do what he is promising without Bobby.
No, not at all. I'm thinking I should just delete that comment if it's that unclear. A few people had said that the only thing different in recruiting was no Bobby, so that has to be the reason for the different results. I was just saying that no, there are more factors that are different than just that this time around and then sharing one experience that I'm familiar with. This current staff is well regarded in basketball recruiting circles, especially the head coach.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:Ace is now missing layups, too.
Harsh, man, harsh. I'm going to war for this guy- you show 'em, Jarelle!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't get the confusion, honestly. OK...back to Garrett.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Jarvis Garrett, 2014 PG, Notre Dame Prep: He is one of the best point guards available in the class of 2014 nationally. Notre Dame Prep relied on him to get them in their offense and to create open looks for them throughout the evening. At just 5-foot-11, he is a tad undersized but makes up for it with his speed and shooting ability. Garrett is also an above average defender who has a decent basketball IQ and is a leader. He will be highly sought after heading into the spring signing period.
http://future150.com/hs/basketball-news ... ssic-11697
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Second time he's been here in a month. A good sign.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Get him, Dan!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Throw a net over this kid!!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I like this kid too. Hopefully we can get him. That fact that Marquette is now in the mix worries me a little, being he is from Wisconsin.
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

How hard is it to sell this kid on URI? major minutes available, playing alongside EC and Hassan in an up and coming program. Throw in Gil for next year and whatever Earl Watson brings to the table in the future. Also count the other improvements to the program that show we're making an effort. I hope we get him.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I must say the ryan center with the intro show new scorer table and new floor is pretty attractive. Plus being at an OT win with a pretty decent crowd looked good.
GO RAMS
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I don't think Dan wants EC at the point. Grab this guy and give him the ball.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

EC isn't a PG. He may evolve into one, but he is much more potent on the wing.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

^^^I completely agree. As of now he does not have the ball handling skills to be a pg
Common sense is not common.
Mittenman
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Mittenman »

Billyboy78 wrote:Do you think Terrell would have come here if Bobby was still here?
No, Preston was the contact with Terrell and developed a strong relationship with him. URI beat out a lot of schools to be in Terrell's final two though. I know that Preston also has a great relationship with the Xpressions coach and he always at URI Games.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:How hard is it to sell this kid on URI? major minutes available, playing alongside EC and Hassan in an up and coming program. Throw in Gil for next year and whatever Earl Watson brings to the table in the future. Also count the other improvements to the program that show we're making an effort. I hope we get him.
When they announce the lineup and two freshmen are starting, that shows the kid that he can come and play right away
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

bigappleram wrote:EC isn't a PG. He may evolve into one, but he is much more potent on the wing.
I think that if EC is really a legit 6'5" he doesn't really need to play at PG here to have his shot at playing guard in the NBA. Plus it seems like it's less and less important to play PG in college and play it in the NBA. Chances are he'll share more and more of the duties as the years go on like Munford has this year and he seems happy to play the 2 and playing it well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

15 Year Lurker wrote:
bigappleram wrote:EC isn't a PG. He may evolve into one, but he is much more potent on the wing.
I think that if EC is really a legit 6'5" he doesn't really need to play at PG here to have his shot at playing guard in the NBA. Plus it seems like it's less and less important to play PG in college and play it in the NBA. Chances are he'll share more and more of the duties as the years go on like Munford has this year and he seems happy to play the 2 and playing it well.
EC is absolutely 6'5" no doubt about it, if anything he tends taller than 6'5". There is no exaggeration in his height. He also has long arms.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

EC even has the size to play the 3 against opponents' smaller forwards.

As he matures, he may play some more at that position. Especially if JR continues to struggle.

I don't see Hassan as a regular 3. He'll be at least 6'8' by next year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

247's Crystal Ball just started their predictions on Jarvis. The first guy predicted Marquette.(not that that means anything)
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

rambone 78 wrote:EC even has the size to play the 3 against opponents' smaller forwards.

As he matures, he may play some more at that position. Especially if JR continues to struggle.

I don't see Hassan as a regular 3. He'll be at least 6'8' by next year.

I could see Hassan at the 3 if Earl Watson becomes a starter next year.
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Back to the subject. Garrett ranked #11 in New England Class of 2014.
Would be a great get for Rhody.
Only PG Graham and Cimino remain unsigned along with Garrett from the Top 15

1 Goodluck Okonoboh 6'9" C/F Wilbraham & Monson UNLV
2 Abdul-Malik Abu 6'8" PF Kimball Union Academy N.C. State
3 Isaac Copeland 6'8" F Brewster Academy Georgetown
4 Kaleb Joseph 6'2" G Cushing Academy Syracuse
5 Paschal Chukwu 7'1" C Fairfield Prep Providence
6 Jonah Bolden 6'8" F Brewster Academy UCLA
7 Jared Terrell 6'3" G Brewster Academy Oklahoma St
8 Devonte Graham 6'1" PG Brewster Academy
9 Bonzie Colson 6'5" F St. Andrew's School Notre Dame
10 Tory Miller 6'8" C/F New Hampton Colorado
11 Jarvis Garrett 6'0" PG Notre Dame Prep
12 Detrick Mostella 6'6" G/F Notre Dame Prep Pittsburgh
13 Matt Cimino 6'10" PF Worcester Academy
14 Jacquil Taylor 6'9" C/F Beaver Country Day Purdue
15 Daxter Miles 6'2" G Notre Dame Prep West Virginia
Last edited by ramster 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Back to the subject. Garrett ranked #1 in New England Class of 2014.

How is he ranked #1, Ramster?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:Back to the subject. Garrett ranked #1 in New England Class of 2014.

I'm going to assume he meant "11" and it was a typo
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that makes sense.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

I'm going to assume he meant "11" and it was a typo
Correct, I went back and edited to make it "11".
Note the good company we are in with the Top 15 Ranked Players in New England Prep.
Interesting that there are only 2 Point Guards in the Top 15 and both are uncommitted - Devonte Graham at #8 and Garrett at #11.