Mike Aaman - Victim of alleged assault in Narragansett

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Mike Aaman - Victim of alleged assault in Narragansett

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody74 wrote:Here're the rules (Google is our friend!):

To qualify for a medical redshirt, a basketball player must sustain an “incapacitating injury or illness.” The injury or illness does not have to be related to basketball, but must take place after the first day of classes in the athlete’s senior year of high school. To gain a medical redshirt for a specific season, the athlete’s illness or injury must occur before the first game of the second half of the team’s schedule. If the team plays an odd number of games, the exact midseason contest is considered part of the second half. For example, if a basketball team plays 25 games, the injury or illness must occur before the start of the team’s 13th game. Games played in postseason tournaments, such as a conference tournament or the NCAA or NIT tournaments, count among the team’s total games played.
Games Played

To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.

From http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/medi ... -4185.html
This is confusing; is it half the games (midseason) or 30 percent. It says both.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Both. Can't play in more than 30% total or any games past mid season. So if you play one game and it is the last one, or if you play in all 14 of the first games out of 30, then you're out.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

So If Aaman sits out the rest of season, he is eligible for a medical redshirt - he only played the first 5 games of season which includes the three minutes he played against Arizona.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Again, I'll ask this question.
Do you want Mike Aaman for an additional year, or
should staff try to bring in a more productive player
at the end of Aaman's four years?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know Rod, but as I said before you don't need to make that decision now unless you are deciding whether to hold him out or bring him back. IMO, that isn't a tough call. If he can play he should play.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:So If Aaman sits out the rest of season, he is eligible for a medical redshirt - he only played the first 5 games of season which includes the three minutes he played against Arizona.
Yes, he'd be eligible to apply. No guarantee it would be granted, but it seems likely. Not sure how they treat non-sports injuries vs. sports one, or fault vs. no fault, though.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would think that if he's ready to play fairly soon [within the next few games] he should play.

If he's not ready until almost the end of the season, then keep him out.

Whether or not he gets 2 or 3 more years here isn't that big of a deal. If he was a stud player, then it might be, but he's not.
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

Twisted 3829, How did we get from Playboy to the Princeton Review? That is like comparing Marilyn Munroe to Phyllis Diller or pc to Harvard !!! Please!!!!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Carl, twisted mentioned that publication, because the Princeton rating was the one that caught the attention of Carothers and catalyzed him into taking action to change the image.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Carl, why do you care so much? We aren't going to have a debate about party school rankings from before any of our players were born. Start another thread if you feel the need to talk about it anymore.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Again, I'll ask this question.
Do you want Mike Aaman for an additional year, or
should staff try to bring in a more productive player
at the end of Aaman's four years?
I'll wimp out and say I'm undecided. I love his heart and effort. His skill set seems limited, though. The staff should ALWAYS be looking for better players.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When you have 13 scholarship players, not all are going to play. Having Mike as a 10th, 11th man on the bench wouldn't be a bad thing. He's an enthusiastic guy, not a bad insurance policy at the 4 or 5. Now this assuming that we overrecruit at his position. As the roster stands now, he'd still get decent playing time. Then again, none of this matters if he doesn't clean up his off the court stuff.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Aaman seems to accept his role, which is rare for a big guy toward the end of the bench. But I agree it's an open question: do we want him to take up a scholarship for 5 years?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, ideally the 10th and 11th guys on your bench are young guys you are developing who will have a role at some point. A spot or two in the roster may be taken up by guys who are injured. You'd probably rather not have upperclassmen sitting at the end of your bench eating up a scholarship if you had the choice.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I think most of you are underestimating Mike because he doesn't look athletic. I think a healthy Aman could have influenced our record this year by one or two games. He did have a couple of post moves, was a decent free throw shooter, and always scrapped for the rebounds. I think he could have developed into a very solid back up guy.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I believe one of the most important aspects of the hardship waiver is that the injury has to be season ending. And that must be documented and proven in the application. So, if he is able to go, whether he plays or not is immaterial.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:I believe one of the most important aspects of the hardship waiver is that the injury has to be season ending. And that must be documented and proven in the application. So, if he is able to go, whether he plays or not is immaterial.
That is true, technically. But you know how these things work.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

67, I wish he was around, too.
5 fouls, some decent play when he's in there,
could have made a difference in some of the close games.
You could play him and Martin instead of Martin and Reischel.
At least Aaman could make layups and free throws, and
always gave 100%.
My problem with him is, he let his team down with very poor judgement.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

That I agree with Rod.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I believe one of the most important aspects of the hardship waiver is that the injury has to be season ending. And that must be documented and proven in the application. So, if he is able to go, whether he plays or not is immaterial.
That is true, technically. But you know how these things work.
I think the NCAA are ball busters when it comes to the hardship waiver. BC had a WR a few years ago (Momah, I think) that was granted the waiver by the ACC (I think you have to go through the conference, first) and the NCAA denied the application because BC hadn't adequately documented the first injury he had. And they were unable to prove it was season ending.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't love him as a player but he isn't overwhelmed out there on most nights. Presumably he will be better 3 years from now than he was last year. I would like to have him. Pretty sure he will provide depth 3 years from now. One thing about this board is that there is too much stock in the guys we don't have vs the ones we already have. If we can get a better option for that 5th year some here are questioning then absolutely get that option but I doubt a 17-19 freshman or soph will be better than the matured body of the man mike will be by then.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

I just wish we were getting some kind of update on our missing players. Its more tight lipped than a Bill Belichick press conference. All we hear is that there just isn't anything new to report.

NEWS FLASH: the season is more than half over now. It would be nice to at least get a more recent update. Peace of mind to the Rhody faithful that have witnessed some very close games...some very close losses that could have gone either way. Not to say that I'm not proud of our guys. The have shown a lot of excitement and fight lately.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:he's already played this year and too many games to get the medical red shirt
Yeah but only 5 of 31, right?
I always thought this was the case also, but I heard recently that Kevin Ware was going to medical redshirt this season and he has played in 9 games.
Official now for Ware

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... njured-leg
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Mike Aaman is here for 2 more years, of course I would want him for an additional year unless he totally regressed as a player. Then again, I would recruit over him if I was able to get someone better. This doesn't sit well with those who think scholarships are a 4 year commitment. If Mike had sustained a basketball related injury, then I would be more supportive of the 4-year crowds position. Mike hurt the program by his personal decision unrelated to basketball.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I can respect that opinion, 72. I have leanings that way as well.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree also, 72.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Mike made a choice, which led to an unfortunate result. Of course it hurts the team, which he feels terrible about. But this is college sports, and if I'm charged with developing these guys, I don't see anything that happened here as enough to get him off my team. Overall, taking him on everything he's done here so far, I'm good with him.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ace, as long as he doesn't screw up again, I'm OK with him, too.

Does anybody know how he's progressing? Is there a good chance he plays again this year, or not?

Some people must know, but they're not talking, I guess.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Silence coming from URI is deafening.
Nothing on Hare. Nothing on Aaman, Nothing on recruiting.
Last year, the theme was total transparency.
This year, it's like CFL is in charge of things.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Has anybody directly asked Dan about any of these things lately?

Maybe the less we know about recruiting right now, the better? I don't follow Twitter.

They must have their reasons. Maybe they'll tell us sometime.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm more concerned about the lack of info regarding current players as opposed to recruits. I can see the possible strategic benefits with regards to recruits. With regards to current players, it always makes me feel like the program has something to hide for the wrong reasons. Hopefully this is not the case, but hushed tones in secret circles usually don't mean anything good.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

From my experience with college athletes ..... We really don't want to know everything that goes on....kind of like the situations in the movie "Men in Black"...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

They did release the info about Powell, and he is no longer listed on the roster. But Hare is still listed on the roster and not a peep from URI about him. Why is that? Isn't it pretty well known that Hare is not coming back either?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Even though they are public figures, there are definitely privacy rights the players still maintain. I'm sure a big part of the reason we don't know more about Mike is there are only certain things and ways a team can release medical information due to the HIPPA law. And frankly, there's a good chance they don't have a solid prognosis yet. You normally have a good idea how long someone will be out based on most injuries, but if he suffered a concussion and/or vision issues as has been speculated they might not have any idea yet how long he'll be out.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

I hope he does not have vision problems from the concussion.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Or from eye trauma like retina problems.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

He said he went to help a friend in trouble. Maybe it was one of our other players, and a possible reason for the silence.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RAM67 wrote:He said he went to help a friend in trouble. Maybe it was one of our other players, and a possible reason for the silence.
Yes, this is what I heard as well. He supposedly went to help a friend in trouble and some smacks ganged up on Mike. I hope they find the people who did it. I'm more concerned about that than his playing status right now, even though the team could use him.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Dude wrote:
RAM67 wrote:He said he went to help a friend in trouble. Maybe it was one of our other players, and a possible reason for the silence.
Yes, this is what I heard as well. He supposedly went to help a friend in trouble and some smacks ganged up on Mike. I hope they find the people who did it. I'm more concerned about that than his playing status right now, even though the team could use him.
If you want to know the full story, just ask our PC poster seanmc94. He is starting threads about the incident on the PC Board. Per Sean:
seanmc94 Posted: Yesterday 7:38 PM wrote:
URI player assaulted: Mike Aaman

I was talking with some friends in South County law enforcement. May be more to this story that has been reported. DH will not be thrilled with the findings; if true.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sure DH knows everything he needs to know about the situation by now.

I'm not worried by what Sean is saying. He's trying to get back at us for ripping him about the Dunn rumors.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sean is just shit-stirring, and he's getting no play over there.
PC has enough of their own problems, without worrying about
a backup at URI's problems.
Unless he's talking to detectives who are familiar with the case,
the average patrolman usually knows very little. Even if they were the ones on the scene,
follow up work isn't done by them.
I'm not very familiar with the Narraganesett department, but that's usually how it works.
I haven't heard of any charges filed, so it's all rumor or conjecture, so far.
I was talking to NSA who were listening on my phone, and they told me Aaman was abducted
by aliens, who also stole the talent from the players who might have been with him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm sure DH knows everything he needs to know about the situation by now.

I'm not worried by what Sean is saying. He's trying to get back at us for ripping him about the Dunn rumors.

Since Sean seems to have so many contacts, I wonder if he could enlighten us on the gang rape situation on college campuses in Providence. I have heard that freshmen co-eds are not even safe at their own schools.

I would agree with Sean that Hurley would not be happy if there is more to the Aamen story. He certainly wouldn't be out there in public calling him a good kid and saying he feels bad for him if he had done something very wrong. The message from Hurley on the matter would not be one of support as he would never condone bad behavior.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hurley would go crazy if it turns out there is more to the story that sheds a bad light on Aaman or other players. He's already been lied to by enough of them.

Hare. Baron. Now Mike? And like you said Rod, his transfers lied to him too. They told him they had talent.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, they DID have talent, but the aliens stole it from them
in the abduction.
At least that's what NSA is saying. Oh, and they also said, Oneykaba and Reischel are really
an alien automatons.
In all seriousness, Hurley knows all about whatever happened.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Recruiting aliens? That's got to be some kind of NCAA violation. I think we could lose scholarships for that. I mean, what if they played in some kind of alien professionals league...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They can't be aliens. Aliens have more talent. :shock:

Maybe they were rejects from that Alien professional league.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Brizzed aliens.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't blame sean....we all thought there was more to the Aaman story.....but he could have dropped his "bombshell" here where it is more important....the pc board doesn't care about Rhody, remember..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan's got a lot of brush fires to put out right now.

Maybe that's why he's not talking. Not much good to be talking about?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I never meant to imply that Mike should not be offered a scholarship for next year regardless of other options. Just that Dan should feel less obligated to keep him on scholarship for 4 years if he can do better. Mike put himself ahead of the team, so Dan should put the team ahead of any obligation he may feel toward Mike.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!