Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Roz
ARD

Re: Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Unread post by Roz »

UCH21377 wrote:And the interior defense, jeez. The kid on SoMiss, #24 (he should be playing football), was pushing Biruta all over the court likde a twig. Hurley actually had to put TJ on him, and it worked. It's a pretty sad thing when a 6'3" kid can play better interior D than your starting PF. And O commits a foul every 3 minutes.
Yeah TJ needs to be starting...never thought I would say that, but he makes other players better and his intensity is contagious.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Last year the players believed in DH; this year it doesn't seem so.

GB, JR and Iffy are nowhere close to being as advertised.

I wonder how many attendees were inspired to buy football season tickets after listening to the new coach say zero except buy season tickets.

TJ is all hustle and little talent.

URI's offense moves the ball around the perimeter but rarely gets the ball inside with someone finishing.

EC's release point is too low. He can't shoot against minimal pressure.

X should never hesitate to shoot when open. Even when he misses 10 in a row.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Rhody72 wrote:Last year the players believed in DH; this year it doesn't seem so.

GB, JR and Iffy are nowhere close to being as advertised.

I wonder how many attendees were inspired to buy football season tickets after listening to the new coach say zero except buy season tickets.

TJ is all hustle and little talent.

URI's offense moves the ball around the perimeter but rarely gets the ball inside with someone finishing.

EC's release point is too low. He can't shoot against minimal pressure.

X should never hesitate to shoot when open. Even when he misses 10 in a row.
I agree, there was a couple times X hesitated from shooting a three only to pass it around the perimeter.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got home from game and echo a lot of the sentiments already stated.. I mentioned the Hurley histrionics a few weeks ago. He is costing his team. Another bench warning today and refs are tuning him out. I am sure his reputation is growing as a habitual complainer.. I still don't get why he doesn't play zone at all!!! A lot of the poor interior defense is guards getting beat off the dribble consistently and giving up easy buckets.. Zone allows you to box out on the boards and make teams beat you from the outside.. At least gives a change of pace and gives players a blow.. The offense is a joke.. At least hit some outside shots today, but it's tough for your post players to score if you don't get them the ball. It seems 75% of the time ball is going around perimeter and that's it.. In game strategy is becoming a big question mark..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This team needs a TON of help in the frontcourt. It's pretty obvious by now.

We're also going to need help on the wing, with JR not the answer, and Hassan needed up front.

We're the Swiss Cheese team. Holes everywhere.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dan Hurley was totally out coached today by Tyndall.

JR is a liability and when he enters the game. I cringe waiting for his layups that cannot get above the bottom of the rim and his senseless fouls. Every time we got in the paint USM players contested everything. In similar situation on the other end, the Rams just gave up easy lay-ups or committed a foul.

Bad foul shooting is not a aberration, but is symbolic of other problems. This team has little talent and all the practice is not going to change that fact.

Minnis had a bad game. Late in the game with the game still up for grabs and URI in possession, he loses the handle on the ball and sends it right into the hands of a USM player who executed a perfect fast break to score.
Last edited by Obadiah 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I too, ever the Rhody optimist have a bad taste in my mouth over this one. Maybe because I attended the game and we lost, I always feel like I got cheated when we lose and I lose my voice. Again no excuses for poor play, but the only thing I'm taking issue with is that DH complains too much, the officiating today was very poor and its extremely frustrating. My take was DH was pretty chill towards the refs through the first half and into the second half, then ramped it up as the game continued and the refs continued to show what SCABS they are.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm getting those headaches I usually got while watching JB's teams.

The sideline antics are getting old, I know Dan is trying to literally will his team to victory, but it's just not happening.

The substitutions are head scratching at times also. You've got to stay with who's hot. We don't have the depth of talent to keep changing things up.

And yes, Obie, this team is just not that good. 6-10 in conference may even be a little optimistic.

I'm not going to jump ship yet, however. About the future, that is.

This year is fast approaching a lost cause though.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

As far as Hurley or any coach who continuously complains.....
A. It's like white noise after a while. Refs just tune it out.
B. It's like the "Boy Who Cried Wolf". If you piss and moan on every single call,
when there's one you should really have a care about, you've been complaining all game long.
So who can differentiate what's important or not important?
Just coach your team, and stop concentrating on the refs.
As for the team, I'm still waiting for someone besides X to score over 25 points and have
a breakout game.
I thought Biruta was coming along, and then today's egg. Biggie didn't play well, either.
I think it will be EC, when someone breaks out, though. Kid had a ton of talent.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

EC and Hassan need to hurry up and become sophomores.

They are the future bright lights of this program, for now.

Give them some help, and they will be special no doubt.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd still like to see Martin get some real shots in a game.
How is he going to develop his offense on put backs and dunks?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, we don't have the guys who can get him those shots. Like you've said before, they don't run plays for him.

He's doing what he can with his athletic ability, which is huge. Until we get better floor leaders, that's what's going to happen.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

BTW, Martin is our shot blocker, he may not have all the height but he has the instincts.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here's some Hurley post game quotes, courtesy of Bill Koch:
Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 4h
'We got killed on the backboard. Our forwards, defensively, were really bad to start the second half. That hurt us.
'It's my responsibility to have better options. We have guys that are very talented that are not playing up to their talent level.'
'These guys that sat out and watched Andre (Malone) and Alwayne (Bigby) fight so hard...they haven't adopted that.'
'I think we all see what (Martin's) going to do once his offense catches up. He changed the game.'
'Our three frontcourt guys, with the exception of Hassan (Martin), were not great today. I think it cost us the game.'-YA THINK?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

is it me, or is this becoming the DH coach speak....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Strong words from Dan. It's about time.

I like what he said about it being his responsibility to have better options. He's basically saying, they are not good enough. Along with not playing hard enough.

Except for Hassan of course.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I think our point guard situation is truly this teams biggest problem. Biggie isn't good enough nor was Powell. The point guard is the most important player on a basketball team. Until we find a stud point guard we will continue to struggle. Yes, we have other holes on our team, shooting, true center etc. ... If I was Hurley, finding a true stud point guard would be my number one priority. I know there was talk that EC wanted to be moved to point guard but clearly Dan doesn't want that to happen because he had the perfect opportunity to convert him once Powell left.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dan doesn't find that stud PG, then EC will end up there. I thought that's what he wanted when Dan recruited him.

If EC is OK with being the 2 guard, if Dan gets that PG, that's fine.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

You told us about the front line, but, how was the coaching, Dan?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I'd have to give Biggie a bit more time before I make a conclusion on him. He is better than Powell, but he had a bad game today. He was no where to be seen in leadership, had zero rebounds, didn't get to the FT line once, had only two assists and one very bad TO. We need him to be better.

BTW, 6-3 guard Devin Coleman (Wynnewood, PA) just announced he is transferring from Clemson.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Biggie is not the answer long term at PG. He disappeared today. I know he's only a soph, but this team will only go as far as their PG takes them.

He may turn out to be an average A10 PG, or slightly better. Not good enough.

Again, except for two exceptions, this team is full of more or less average players. The level of talent needed is a good deal higher than what's here.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RAM67 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:They got it to two, and Hurley put Biruta and Reischel in for Martin and TJ.
BIG mistake!
All of a sudden, So Miss went inside at will, plus both guys making silly fouls.
This let So. Miss go on a 7=0 run, because of the lousy subtitutions.
We got ONE basket from that point to the end of the game.
This was a winnable game. Lousy free throw shooting, and lousy refs both hurt.
We played a good first half, and looked like we forgot the good things we did,
starting the second half.
Munford scored eight straight points in the first half and got taken out.
A move right out of the CFL playbook.
One and done all game long. Can't rebound and other than Martin, zero interior defense.
TJ played his heart out. I'd start TJ, Munford, Matthews, and Martin against Brown.
Play the guys who look like they want to be there.
This season in now in danger of becoming a sub .500 one as things stand.

Just got back from the game and was about to vent when I saw Rod's post. Bingo, bingo, bingo. I almost jumped over the railing when I saw Biruta and Reischel at the scorers table. I told my wife that if we lost, it was on DH, with that sub at that time. Also I have always been a supporter, but his sideline complaining has become Baronesque. Time to give it a rest.
For what it is worth they looked gassed at the time.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Here's some Hurley post game quotes, courtesy of Bill Koch:
Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 4h
'We got killed on the backboard. Our forwards, defensively, were really bad to start the second half. That hurt us.
'It's my responsibility to have better options. We have guys that are very talented that are not playing up to their talent level.'
'These guys that sat out and watched Andre (Malone) and Alwayne (Bigby) fight so hard...they haven't adopted that.'
'I think we all see what (Martin's) going to do once his offense catches up. He changed the game.'
'Our three frontcourt guys, with the exception of Hassan (Martin), were not great today. I think it cost us the game.'-YA THINK?
He was mad. I'm reasonably sure that he threw his tie in the trash can at the end of the bench on his way to the tunnel.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think he'd like to throw a few of his players in the trash can right about now.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

a holiday trip home allowed me to catch the UNH and So Miss game....my thoughts on this one today.

DH lost that game. Numerous bad decisions, the sub choices cited by folks here - taking out X after he knocked down 2-3 straight. Playing full court man at all times, when in the second half they had a clear plan -- space the floor and put their small big guys in 1-on-1 situations with our bigs. They killed us 4-5X in a row at one point. Gil takes a beating here but he was averaging 14 and 8 over his last 6 games. Today he takes 3 shots, and doesnt touch the ball once in the paint in the second half. That is on the coach and our guards. He could have scored against that team, he had inches on them. DH let them expose our weaknesses (at this point there are many) and did little to exploit our strengths. GIl had a couple big time rebounds in first half and 2 nice moves, then doesnt see the ball rest of game. Maybe he needs offense to fuel his defense, who knows. But last year we were told we didnt have anyone to throw it to in the post, this year we have at least 1 guy but rarely do I see a big effort to do so. His 2nd half defense was atrocious but his body language was even worse, DH lit him up a few times verbally and IMO Gil had a look on his face like STFU.

On the bright side TJ looks stronger every game, and EC and X finally put together decent shooting games at the same time. When Martin gets an offensive game he is going to be very good. He blocked 5-6 tonight not sure how many he got credit for. Biggie and Reischel were out to lunch.

DH is screaming at the wrong things. He should be screaming to get the ball inside. How about 40 minutes of playing against a 1-3-1 and you don't have a play to throw a lob to Hassan. He jumps through the freakin roof. He was roaming the baseline all game and didn't get 1 look. That is poor coaching. Maybe go zone once in a while? How about an actual press instead of token man-to-man pressure? How about we attack the team pressuring us instead of throwing it back and forth up the court....if EC or TJ were the point guy in the press he should of been screaming to get them the ball in the middle and have them attack the basket. It was like we were content to cross half court and never tried to attack. So many issues with today's game.....too bad, the Ryan despite a pretty weak crowd got loud when we went on our run in 2nd half.

To me the back breaker play was X forcing action and throwing an air ball when we were down 2. Killed momentum and they came down and scored and the rest is history.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

The thing that surprises me the most is the defense. I thought offense might be an issue, but I really thought Hurley would bring a swarming pressure type defense.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

HERE'S PART OF THE ANSWER, PROVIDED BY COACH HURLEY, per the BLOW-JO:
“You just can’t feel sorry for yourself. It’s a tough schedule,” he said. “It’s funny. You’ve got the four guys that sat out last year and watched (Xavier Munford) and T.J. (Buchanan) and Ryan (Brooks) and Alwayne Brooks and Andrew Malone. They watched them fight so hard from beginning to end, and they haven’t adopted that. We’re not talented enough to roll it out there right now. We’ve got to be scrappy. We’ve got to be gritty.”
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Great post BAR, but to me the momentum killer was substituting Biruta and Reischel for
Martin and TJ.
Their defense and intensity got us in the game.
You are 100% correct about Gil not seeing the ball in the second half. Where's the coach telling his guards during a timeout, to get him the ball?
We'd better practice hard against the zone, because any coach worth a damn, will use it
when they play us.
Also, to our schizo posters. One day you love Biggie, "he's the answer!"
One bad game and, it's,"OMG! We need a new PG!"
He's only a sophomore and he had a bad game, after a string of solid ones.
He was good enough for Pappy Owens to say that he felt Biggie could play in the NBA some day.
I watched Bryce Cotton score a couple of really clutch baskets today.
He refuses to lose. He's mentally TOUGH. Our guys aren't. He it as a PG. There's no backup. He plays
every play. No matter how tired he is, he's huge at game end. Why not our guys?
They let the refs get in their heads today. You could see it in their body language.
Guys also looked tentative on offense. A guy like X, passing up shots just to pass to
someone less open.
I just heard Bill Walton say,"Never underestimate the value of positive coaching."
Do our guys get positive coaching or is it strictly what they didn't do right?
I don't know the answer to that. People inside the locker room could answer the question.
Just throwing it out there. I do wonder, about it, though.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The bigs, especially Biruta, have to be more aggresive. They got outrebounded 37-22 today by a smaller team. No excuse for that.

Rod watched the end of the PC game also; Cotton is a heck of a player. Carries that team on his back.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Gil is ok he is not a post presence that can win you a game. SO he needs to play hard and do everything he can to make a difference, not be seen as being up or down emotionally.

Recruiting front?? Doesn't matter where they come from but they have to be from places that tasted what it takes to win a basketball game. I'm sure our kids look great in practice with no refs where they can't foul out and the outcome doesn't matter. We have some. We need more. For the record I think we have maybe 4 at different stages of development.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Also, to our schizo posters. One day you love Biggie, "he's the answer!"

It amazes me how quickly opinions change of a player after one game. I agree we do have some bipolar/schizo posters. If you seriously thought this team would make the tournament this year then you're insane. DH has been here for a year and half and some of you are calling for his head. I think you're forgetting the train wreck he inherited, not to mention the loss of the players this season.

This is going to take time to turn this program around. Undoubtedly there has been improvement this season. You don't go from a 7 win team to a tournament team overnight. Have some patience and stop overreacting
0 x
Common sense is not common.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I had no illusions of us making the tourney this year. NIT maybe, but obviously that was way off base.

This board has gone nutso. Everybody is blaming everybody. The players, the coaching, the refs.

Nothing is going right.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I agree with you about Hassan and Gil. These guys could do so much more on offense. They just didn't see the ball enough.

You also should ask Dan why we don't play zone.

I hope we don't get to the point where Dan just gets defensive in his post game comments, as in "we've got to play harder" and/or better. We need to ask questions like the ones above, specific ones, and get answers.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: To me the back breaker play was X forcing action and throwing an air ball when we were down 2. Killed momentum and they came down and scored and the rest is history.
Two key points brought up:
The substitution of Gil and Jarelle. Hurley mentions in today's PROJO that the guys were tired and in retrospect he should have called time out and he insinuated that he should not have made those 2 substitutions. Good to hear him admit that. We would never have heard that in the Baronesque era.
The most exciting part of the game was when we came back led by EC and Hassan - especially EC's 3 and Hassan's blocked shot.
The crowd was really into it more than at anytime during the game.
Then at the 4:35 mark X, as BAR stated, decided to play one on one against a packed in Southern Miss defense. With the crowd all excited X drove inside and 10 feet from the hoop forced a horrible looking shot that missed everything. Southern Miss grabbed the rebound and went off from there - the game went downhill from there.
This would have beenthe time for DH to call a time out, in hindsight.
But we should have gotten a good shot. I think X got caught up inthe excitement and the crowd noise and wanted to do it himself.
This would have been the ideal time for EC to take another 3 since he was clearly the hot hand on the floor.
Not good execution at the 4:30 mark and not good coaching...............again in hindsight 20-20 but we should learn from this.
Agree about Biggie, not long ago MP was the PG playing 35 minutes per game. Biggie will be just fine.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RFORTE wrote:Also, to our schizo posters. One day you love Biggie, "he's the answer!"

It amazes me how quickly opinions change of a player after one game. I agree we do have some bipolar/schizo posters. If you seriously thought this team would make the tournament this year then you're insane. DH has been here for a year and half and some of you are calling for his head. I think you're forgetting the train wreck he inherited, not to mention the loss of the players this season.

This is going to take time to turn this program around. Undoubtedly there has been improvement this season. You don't go from a 7 win team to a tournament team overnight. Have some patience and stop overreacting
45 people predicted 10 or more wins in A10 play in the prediction contest, so I'd say expectations were high. I'm betting that most would now be thrilled with an 8-8 record in conference play. Obviously the expectations have been lowered. But, not lowered by a little, but lowered by quite a bit. I did not expect a tournament team. What I did expect was a good product on the court. I haven't seen it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i agree with 78, i want to see improvement every game as my #1 goal for this season. i am seeing it from some individuals but not as a team. don kaull stated in post game that "consistency" is the biggest concern, individual guys and the team have stretches of good ball but cannot string it together for a full game or even a full half. chemistry is completely understated by folks on this board, we have none. its a huge issue. i agree with DH that there is talent on this team, but it is not coming to fruition, he needs to figure it out. we rarely make the extra pass, watch VCU, they ALWAYS do. its like at times our guys are all strangers to each other.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Looks like Martin may be starting soon:

ProvI Journal: Hurley to Matthews: ‘Trust your talent’
December 28, 2013 10:05

BY CAROLYN THORNTON
Journal Sports Writer
cthornto@providencejournal.com
SOUTH KINGSTOWN — “Trust your talent.” That’s the message University of Rhode Island men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley has been delivering to E.C. Matthews.
“Just let the ball go,” Hurley said he has been telling the freshman guard. “We’re going to live and die with you throughout the year here.”
Matthews, who has started each of the last six games, responded with 17 points, three assists and three rebounds against Southern Miss on Saturday afternoon. Thirteen of those points came in the second half, including seven during URI’s late 12-2 run that cut Southern Miss’ lead from 12 to two.
“E.C. had earned the right to be out there because he’s obviously a super talent,” Hurley said. “What we talked to him about before New Hampshire, after New Hampshire, is just really trust your talent. He’s one of seven freshmen in the country averaging 10 points, four rebounds, two assists. … We obviously need him to get great experience, and I think he just played very, very well as a freshman against a very, very good physical, defensive team.”
Martin earns his keep
Hurley was also singing the praises of another member of his freshmen class. Hassan Martin didn’t have the best day offensively, as he scored only four points, going 2-for-6 from the free-throw line and making just one field goal — a dunk — with 44 seconds remaining in the game. But the 6-foot-7 forward made his presence known in other ways, as he grabbed four rebounds and recorded four blocks, giving him a total of 16 blocked shots in the last four games.
“For me, Hassan Martin is probably, like, the hardest playing guy we’ve got on this team right now, and he’s an 18-year-old freshman,” Hurley said.
“I think we all see what he’s going to do once his offense catches up. He’s 18 years old. He changed the game, and he obviously needs to be out there earlier than he is now. He’s earned it. Both he and E.C. are a huge part of what we’re putting together here, and they need to be in that 30-minute range every game because these guys have a chance to be great players, and we need to lean even more heavily on them moving forward.”

As for chemistry, I've said this all would take some time to come around.
That they've practiced since August is concerning.
It's vital to any winning team in any sport.
Most troubling is, lack of improvement as a team. Sometimes they play a good stretch,
and go away from what made them play well.
Interior defense and offense was supposed to improve this year.
Not so, especially on defense. I think Oneykaba needs to play more.
Even though he hasn't shown much since Maine, he's the strongest big body we have.
He needs to be coached up, to have some impact on the weakest part of the team.
Instead, he's becoming the new Jon Clark. He starts, gets a couple of fouls, and is never seen again.
Players don't learn by sitting or having their confidence broken by getting yanked after a mistake.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good article. Agreed with Martin starting but agree even more with Big O playing more and being coached up since Hes the strongest guy we have. Everytime I look up I feel like Hes on the bench.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Alwayne Bigby and Andre Malone ...... Please pro-co-jo ...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Worst team in RI?

Unread post by RF1 »

A loss at Brown later this week and URI is the unofficial worst D1 college team in RI. The Rams would be the only team not to have a win over a D1 in state school going 0-2 (other loss at home to the Friars). PC is undefeated at 2-0 versus URI and Brown. Bryant is 1-0 having beaten Brown. Brown, with a win over URI, would be 1-2 (losses to Bryant and PC). I wonder if Jim Baron's tee shirt maker is gearing up for a run of shirts (reference to state champion tee-shirts he had made up one year).

On the bright side, Duquense is still in the A-10 this season likely preventing a last place league finish.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: point play, at this point I'd like to see E.C. and Minnis split time at the point. Mathews was recruited as a PG, he stated it was one of the reasons he decided on Rhody. I'm happy with him playing where ever it helps the team most obviously, I'm not sure that's not at PG.

Also regarding yesterday specifically, I watched us handle the full court trap consistently without turning the ball over to it much, but very slowly advancing each possession, starting our offense at 25 on the clock, which makes the defense a success and the reason they stuck with it all game. We need to shred that and turn it into fastbreak opportunities, get the ball behind the trap advancing towards our basket. In the past we would have had a lot of turn overs to that team, but we probably score some off of that press as well.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The two most important positions are PG and C, and those are our weakest positions.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Rough game, but enjoyed sitting with a friend in 205 instead of my spot in 309. An empty arena allows for some movement.
Biggie had a rough game today. It happens. We could have overcame his deficiencies by playing better elsewhere.
Nice to see EC and X shoot better! TJ was excellent; constant hustle, intensity, and effort. He should be the first guy off the bench, if not starting. How about a three-guard lineup of EC, X, and TJ? Even add Minnis to make it four guards against smaller teams like today.
Reischel invisible. He has talent, but I don't know what's going on. He's baffling.
Gil is possibly the worst defender I've ever seen in my life. Hurley was screaming at him multiple times. His feet are glued to the floor, and always in foul trouble. Big O is incredibly raw. What happened to the guy who dominated Maine? Yeah, Maine stinks, but the drop off between then and now is incredible. Martin was great, let's hope his offense starts to pick up. Let's give him the opportunity on offense to score other than put backs.

I don't understand our offense. We should have flashed a guy to the middle of the key EVERY SINGLE PLAY, and it resulted in Gil finding an open man for a good look about 4-5 times down the floor. No more dribbling around aimlessly. If our guys can't create their own shot (hint: they can't), then we should be running sets almost every offensive possession.

Looked like TJ and Martin were absolutely gassed when Hurley pulled them after that run to get it to 2. Nice to see him admit mistakes and admit he should have called a timeout instead. He got out coached, but calling for his head is a complete knee jerk overreaction. This board is insane sometimes.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Saturday and Sunday afternoon games after partying the night before are tough.

No one is pushing anyone any more. There are 3 front court players to cover 80 minutes of playing time. Start Hassan for Gil or Iffy if you want; you might as well; but it won't make much of a difference in minutes played.

DH's berating the refs is having a negative impact on the players.

Four players were here last year even if they didn't play. Stop treating them as though this is their first year here. It's not rust either at this point.

EC's low release is troubling to me for the future. He has a nice shooting touch when he is open, but he is too easy to defend.

Most teams in our future will have stronger front-court players than So. Miss.

Packed zones stop our penetration. And when we do, we don't finish.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope Martin gets the start going forward. EC, Martin, X, Biruta and Minnis is what I see now. I think being critical of DH at this point is a bit premature, but I like that he is being questioned. This will not be another decade of almosts and just missed. If we win, all is fine. He's had basically one recruiting cycle and brought multiple transfers and two really good freshman. I want to see this years recruits and next years to see where we are. We now need a big freshman class next year and the year after. If we get the recruits coming in the future is going to be looking up. That would put EC and Hassan as juniors with a good soph class and a good freshman class. These next two years are huge for who we bring in.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Like his team, Dan is not a finished product. This is his 4th year as a college coach. He will be fine. I'm not worried about him being too intense. Lots of great coaches are crazed. And he has not lost this team.
His biggest crime was over estimating how good this group was. Last year he told us the transfers were dominating in practice. He told some people that if Iffy was eligible he'd be averaging 12 points and 8 rebounds. It would be great if that was true.
He now realizes he needs more good players. He's pushing his staff to find them.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let me point out that Gonzaga starts THREE point guards.
If Mark Few can do it, Hurley can start Minnis and Matthews, and
junk the position titles.
Your best players are Matthews, Munford, Minnis, TJ, Biruta and Martin.
However, Oneykaba needs to be developed for the better good of the program.
13 minutes won't cut it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sounds like from what Hurley is saying we can expect at least 30 minutes per game from both Mathews and Martin going forward. Could be Martin breaks into the starting line up soon. Even if he doesn't his 30 minutes will be realized by coming in off the bench early on - my guess is he starts by A10 Play.
Iffy has 39 minutes in the past 3 games. He has committed 10 fouls so in the equivalent of 1 39 minute game he would have fouled out twice - he may get more PT if he cuts down on the early fouls. He has 11 rebounds in those 39 minutes.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's take it easy on Biggie. 2 years ago he hardly played at Texas Tech and last year not at all. Essentially he is a soph without playing at all until now. Give the kid a chance!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blue ram, Iggy, Rod, Ramster, you are all right on all accounts.

EC and Hassan are future money. Recruiting over the next 2 years is everything to this program.

We know by now what we've got, and haven't got.

And Dan gets it. He knows what's going on.

We'll get there, slowly but surely.
0 x