Mike Powell to transfer

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Roz
ARD

Re: Mike Powell to transfer

Unread post by Roz »

Too bad, he is being shortsighted, as I figure he would have gotten into the mix again, especially because he is a better scorer than biggie..
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Really? He can't go to the basket like Biggie. He can't run the team like Biggie.
He can't rebound like Biggie. He can't play defense like Biggie.
He shot 29% last year. He's down to 25% this year. Biggie is shooting 45% and 56% from 3.
How is Powell a better scorer?
So, what makes you think he'd replace Biggie at some point in the future, unless Biggie got hurt?
He was given the job and it was his to lose. He lost it to a better player.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rod,I agree with you. I was surprised Mike wasn't replaced earlier. I always liked Mike's hustle, but he just wasn't getting it done.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I/ve said earlier that Mike's future with us, at best, was coming off the bench spelling the other PG and maybe defending the A-10 top guards for a few trips, playing a role in the DH system. If this was not going to work for him and get a degree here, then bye-bye....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Within 2 years, we're going to need recruits at EVERY position on the floor. After that, we'll only have 5 current players left. O, Reischel, Biggie will be seniors, Hassan and EC juniors.

We may need 2 bigs, another wing, a SG [or two] and a PG.

So next season's recruiting becomes more important for sure. We still have the uncertainty surrounding Hare's scholarship, and now maybe Aaman's too.

Busy times for Dan and staff indeed. Maybe Powell's leaving will actually have a silver lining in time, by allowing Dan to have all of "his guys" here sooner.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think the only holdover left, TJ, has become one of dan's guys. Knows his role and plays it well.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think TJ is one of Dan's guys, even if he didn't recruit him.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed. TJ will stick around.

He also has shown some nice improvement on offense, to go with his defense.

One thing's for sure. Not too long ago, we all figured we would only need to replace X for next season.

Boy, has that changed!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan Hurley ‏@dhurley15 9h
Obstacles provide you with the opportunity to truly show your resolve, character and ability.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

How about Mike going to Buffalo. Here is the latest article about Bobby. http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/in ... ffalo.html
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

wakefield wrote:How about Mike going to Buffalo.
With all of the other available D1 programs, I'm not sure why he would want the baggage of going to Buffalo, or for that matter, Canisius.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why would Buffalo or Canisius want MP? They both have higher ranked teams than URI which cast off MP because he got beat out for his position?
RPIs: Buffalo 212, URI 256, Canisius 123
Bobby knows MP better than most and he certainly got the lowdown from brother Dan. Canisius can do better.
Most here thought MP was the best PG on the team before the season started and some thought he would be the PG all year. I never did. He was not even in my top 9 players. Dan gave him the playing time to prove himself - a noble and respectable gesture. He got beat out as I knew he would - fair and square then he gets disciplined for attitude.
Best plan for him would be to go D2 if he wants playing time.
Nice kid, hard worker but not a Upper A10 Team PG plain and simple and proven out on the court this year when given the reins.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Canisius wouldn't have won 3 games this and last season, without Billy.
Their back court is graduating.
I think Powell could be a factor for their low D-1 program.
As for Buffalo, if Bobby couldn't get through to him here,
what makes you think he'd want him for the Bulls.
Plus, he's got a three star PG coming in next year, anyway.
Dan played Powell, made it his job to lose, and he clearly lost it.
My guess is, this was a mutual decision.
Coaches don't want a guy who doesn't want to accept coach's decisions,
or one who doesn't want to be here.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Probably will transfer closer to home
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When Iggy talks, people listen.

I mean that in a good way. :P
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I will be very surprised if he ends up at Canisius.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

When putting together rosters in the low mid majors like the MAAC, coaching staffs need to be creative. Since they are not getting top 150 players players, transfers and post graduate players are necessary. Canisius has a post graduate starting in the backcourt and had one last year. The first two guards off the bench are a freshman and a juco transfer. What's the big deal? It's not exclusive to Canisius. Iona won the MAAC last year with two transfers in their backcourt. Many of these recruited players are not studs and come right out of high school. Redshirting in some cases is the equivalent of prep school. I would think if Powell has some interest in them, they will in him.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Wherever he transfers to, good luck to him. Maybe a change of scenery and different coaching will make him happier. I know that I'm happier that one less happy person is on the TEAM.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Here are the season stats for the UConn super-stud freshmen who were on URI's radar. 5 DNP's each…..Wonder what they're thinking…...

Terrence Samuel 6 8.7 2.2 1.2 1.0 0.2 0.0 1.2 .444 .500 .000
Kentan Facey 6 7.5 1.7 2.8 0.2 0.0 0.3 0.2 .444 .400 .000
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Powell bye bye !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote:Bye bye Powell bye bye !!
Why do you feel the need to be so mean to a departing player?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he does that all the time, I don't think its intended to be mean ramster
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

According to the ProJo,Hare and Powell can do an additional number on their ex-team mates via the APR?
Is this true or just negativity?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HK, they could if they let their grades slack. I think MP was a good student, Hare I'm not sure, especially with his current situation.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote:According to the ProJo,Hare and Powell can do an additional number on their ex-team mates via the APR?
Is this true or just negativity?
Yes - Programs can be hurt if students leave in poor academic standing. However, it would also presumably hurt the player's chances at being accepted to other programs. Allegedly, Hare's academics aren't great, but I hadn't heard anything about Powell's, either positive or negative. I believe he played in every game his first two years, so it would surprise me if they were a complete mess; it's not like he was Orion Outerbridge.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SG, what's going on with the time of these posts?

We're now an hour ahead of the actual time.

Strange.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:SG, what's going on with the time of these posts?

We're now an hour ahead of the actual time.

Strange.
You most likely need to change your daylight savings setting. In the upper right of any page, click on the "user control panel" link, and then "board preferences" on the left-hand side. You can also try this link, although I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone: ucp.php?i=366
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cameron_Dollar wrote:When putting together rosters in the low mid majors like the MAAC, coaching staffs need to be creative. Since they are not getting top 150 players players, transfers and post graduate players are necessary. Canisius has a post graduate starting in the backcourt and had one last year. The first two guards off the bench are a freshman and a juco transfer. What's the big deal? It's not exclusive to Canisius. Iona won the MAAC last year with two transfers in their backcourt. Many of these recruited players are not studs and come right out of high school. Redshirting in some cases is the equivalent of prep school. I would think if Powell has some interest in them, they will in him.

Your last sentence is the key to why I don't think he ends up at Canisius.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why? Baron recruited him, there will be an opening on Canisius' roster.
Seems like a natural fit to me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How do you know Powell likes Baron any more than we do? If he loved Baron so much he would have followed him to Canisius when he went there. I could be wrong, but my prediction is he ends up back in the Midwest, closer to home.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mutual need.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Canisius isn't the only team in the country that could use a guard, I'm sure.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Mutual need? Like I need sex. A hooker sells. I ain't buying'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Most transfers go to some coach or school that recruited them previously.
I don't know who else recruited Powell. He was a rare fall signee for CFL.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Baron's 2 best guards are graduating this year.

Powell would fill a need for them, short term anyway. He's not as good as they are, but he's serviceable at that level.

Would be no surprise. And it's closer to home.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

It's still 533 miles away!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Home is where the heart is...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if he truly wants to get close to home, there must be some nice cozy D-2 schools in the vicinity.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Yeah, well his heart wasn't into it…..
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

[Edited Bressler's very long and very nonsensical post because it took 10 seconds to scroll through and was totally meaningless. -TP]
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hear the Chamberlain College of Nursing already has a 4 star PG on the way.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

And there she is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfvKc_9YbCs
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Bressler that list of schools is ridiculous..is there even one good school on it? This isn't someone transferring from Salve.

I liked Mike as a player and kind of felt bad for him. He gave a lot to us when we had absolutely no one else to play his position and played it well as a true freshmen and last year.

EC is a great player and Biggie appears to be Hurley's guy and has been player well...and is also bigger.

I'm sure he'll end up being a pretty good player somewhere at a pretty good program. I just wish some of the fans would give him a little more credit...he's a big reason we won any games the past two years before some of these other guys became eligible.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Of course, it's ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here!!!!!!!! Here's a "Chicago List" for the kid and others to figure-out. Some schools obviously don't field a basketball team. Want an education?????? PAY FOR IT!

That was the point!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Maybe he wants to go home, maybe he wants to go to Baron University, maybe he's upset, maybe he wants more playing time, maybe his pasta wasn't fuckin' al dente in Rome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WHO FUCKING CARES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Talk about enabling a kid who by all accounts was a stand-up guy, but can dribble a ball, who looked like he was improving last year and on through the summer, who gets a free-ride with a degree at the end of four years, but NO --

Good, so here's the ridiculous list!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to sign-up on the Goodman List with the other 3,779 disgruntled 18-22 year-olds.

You know what would be interesting: What if each student-athlete who wanted to transfer was obligated to SIT THE YEAR -- as it's written, anyway --AND WOULD HAVE TO PAY HIS OWN ROOM, BOARD AND TUITION DURING HIS INACTIVE YEAR. I think there'd be a lot fewer disgruntled student-athletes out there -- AND -- it would force them to significantly increase the seriousness and importance of their initial college choices. It would bring a sense of REALITY that most everyone else faces.
Oh, yeah: I realize college kids transfer ALL-THE-TIME. 99% OF THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES RELY ON SAVINGS, AID, LOANS, GRANTS, ETC., TO PAY THEIR OWN WAY. NOT A BASKETBALL, ETC.,

Oh, yeah, Lurker. I liked Mike Powell, also. I never once criticized him personally, nor do I believe, any of the other players. BUT NOW I WILL ASK THIS: Would he even start at Bryant next year? Just asking...
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Good luck to Mike Powell.

Wish things worked out, he should at least feel he was given a chance to run the club this year.

Hope a change of scenery does him good.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:he does that all the time, I don't think its intended to be mean ramster
I know he does it all the time, I have never understood the reason for it, but it comes across to me negative even though I have seen it 300 times and counting.
It is not funny and serves no reason to me. Maybe I am missing something inthe meaning, but when I open a message because it now shows a new posting and see this bye bye thing...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

bressler3south wrote: Oh, yeah, Lurker. I liked Mike Powell, also. I never once criticized him personally, nor do I believe, any of the other players. BUT NOW I WILL ASK THIS: Would he even start at Bryant next year? Just asking...
Um, I don't have a clue who Bryant's point guard is. But I guarantee he would score 8-10 points a game there so maybe.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, no offense, but why do some on this board feel they have to be the judge, jury, and executioner of all things posted here?

It's a message board, for cripe's sakes. We have every right to be critical of any aspect of this program, and praise it the same way.

I realize some of us repeat ourselves [guilty, as charged] but just move on, if you or others feel the need to judge other's opinions. And that's all they are, just opinions.

Doesn't make anybody right, or wrong. Just having fun, or trying to.

Some people say things that rub me the wrong way, too. But you don't see me jumping down their throat. As long as it doesn't get personal, I ignore it.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Wow, TruePoint!!! Newsprint at a premium????
By-the-way: Nonsensical, somewhat. Meaningless, no. If you do a little self-scrolling from posts past, your sillier ones would seem meaningless to the many. Not me, though. Your sillier posts are your best ones, TruePoint. They're not so serious, rigid, up-tight, and in the grand scheme of things, get very disparate members of KeaneyBlue chuckling.
But to edit them would be, well, besides the point.
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:Wow, TruePoint!!! Newsprint at a premium????
Bress, it was way too long and wasn't relevant enough to warrant that long of post.
0 x