Looking Back - Game #5 from 2012-13: URI vs. Loyola (MD)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #5: URI vs. Loyola (MD)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

That was ridculous.
There were 2 seconds on the shot clock.
Loyola threw in, took a shot, which didn't hit the rim, got the rebound
and put it in.
Now, if that was all done in 2 seconds, let me know.
The refs could have reviewed it, since it was on TV.
So, there's 2 points, in addition to all the missed free throws,
and the threes that rimmed in and out, that could have won us the game.
This was a game of shoulda, coulda, woulda.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it did clearly hit the rim, it happened right in front of me (i was in 101)
Last edited by twisted3829 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I think the first shot after the inbounds did hit the rim, but the guy bobbled it before shooting, and it looked like the shot clock expired before he shot. We'll never know, since they decided not to check.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Optimistic wrote:I think the first shot after the inbounds did hit the rim, but the guy bobbled it before shooting, and it looked like the shot clock expired before he shot. We'll never know, since they decided not to check.
That was my thought - I didn't even think he got the shot off. Hurley wanted a review, but didn't get it.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I'm not sure shot clock violations are renewable in college hoops
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

this what I could find
In college basketball, the same procedure may also be used to determine if a shot was released before time expired in either half or an overtime period. In addition, NCAA rules allow the officials to use instant replay to determine if a field goal is worth two or three points, who is to take a free throw, whether a fight occurred and who participated in a fight. The officials may also check if the shot was made before the expiration of the shot clock, but only when such a situation occurs at the end of a half or an overtime period. Such rules have also required the NCAA to write new rules stating that, when looking at instant replay video, the zeros on the clock, not the horn or red light, now determine the end of the game.
NCAA RULE BOOK
Art. 5. The officials shall not use such available equipment for judgment calls such
as:
a. Determine who committed a foul or whether a foul occurred. (Exceptions: A
flagrant 2 foul and (women) A flagrant 1 personal foul for contact with an
opponent above the shoulders of an opponent or a contact dead ball technical
foul for illegal contact above the shoulders of an opponent.)
b. Determine whether basket interference or goaltending occurred.
c. Determine whether a violation occurred except in 2-13.3.a.2.
d. Determine whether the ball was released before the sounding of the shot-clock
horn, except as in 2-13.3.a.2.
2-13.3.a.2 is if there was a shot clock violation before the end of the half or game
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

twisted3829 wrote:I'm not sure shot clock violations are renewable in college hoops
The officials may also check if the shot was made before the expiration of the shot clock, but only when such a situation occurs at the end of a half or an overtime period.
There's your answer. Not reviewable.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Maybe I'm the only person that is concerned, but outside of the shot clock violation that Loyola should've had, it seemed to me that the last couple of games we've been out coached and not aggressive enough. There were multiple times during the end of this game where Hurley had the team together during a time out and they came out flat and couldn't score a basket to save their life. Once again the shot clock was a problem for them towards the end of the game.
URI had "ONE" guy that they needed to guard to keep Loyola from taking the game to over time and they left him wide open. What was even worse is that it came when they double teamed a player that had been poor all night. I just can't believe the Hurley's didn't stress for them NOT to leave Olson open under any circumstances. He was their leading scorer and the only player on their team that had made a 3 point shot for them ALL GAME!
COLOSAL SCREW UP! I mean...I understand it's not the end of the world and it wasn't the biggest game in the world, but I thought this kind of bone headed play and coaching was behind us.
Hare was a beast. The kid had 16 rebounds and 7 blocks. If you have a freshman center who has a game like that, there's no excuse to not come away with a win...PERIOD.
Oh...and one more thing...BENCH NIK UNTIL HE LEARNS TO NOT BE SLOPPY WITH THE BALL. He LEADS the team in TURNOVERS and he's played one game less than everyone else.
UHHHG! Ridiculous game.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I'd like to see the ball in someone else's hands at the end of the game/shot clock. Powell can create a shot or penetrate but his lack of size hurts him, I'd rather see Nik or Malone with the ball at that point
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm sorry, but it's total clean house time, before some of the old habits of the past regime's players are put behind us.

Powell, Nik, and Malone still tend to revert to their old tricks with the game on the line. They would probably need another offseason of coaching and training, to substantially improve. It's too late for them, though, except for Powell.

Hurley just needs his own crew. I'm sure he's quite aware of that by now, from what he's seen so far. Powell has had his moments, but he's way too inconsistent. Can't create his own shot, and can't make them either. I can't wait until we finally have a point guard or two that's a difference maker. In a good way that is.

As the point goes, so goes the team.

This team shot 33% last night, and 50% from the line. It's amazing to think that even with those numbers, they should have won the game. How many games are you going to win going forward, with that performance on offense?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think that this year, all we can do is hang our hat on the improvement of the new players, especially on defense. The effort is there from all of them in that regard, but that extra effort takes away from what little offense they can generate.

Btw, what was up with Aaman? 7 minutes and no points. As good as Hare was, Aaman was invisible. If Hare had had some help, we might have had a semblance of an inside game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like we had another close tough loss

Very excited about Hare !!!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

If I couldn't sleep last night I wonder how the coaches and players felt. It just seems like we make key mistakes at the wrong times.
Make foul shots
Box out on opposing foul shots
Get the ball in bounds
With limited size and depth we continue to play just enough to lose.
Nik is not always thinking out there.
When will Mike P. learn that driving into the "trees" will not work. (jump ball tie ups)
Practice foul shots - Ryan B's second shot, he was falling away -someone show him the correct form!
How many substitutions did we have in the second half?
Jordan was a different person!!!!!

Just some frustrating thoughts. I'll be there on Wednesday.
Sooner or later...

Have not and will not...
0 x
BarlowHall05
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BarlowHall05 »

I've definitely seen enough of Mike Powell. Towards the end of regulation the other players were clearly bored with him dribbling around and waiting until the shot clock had less than 10 seconds on it before doing anything. It's like they were trying to clock out the game with 10 minutes left instead of continuing to run. Even when Powell sat Munford ran the point instead of TJ. I'm not sure why Buchanan isn't getting any run at PG, but with a team as thin as this one it might make sense to give Mike a blow or two. Especially when he's not doing his first job of creating opportunities for others.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

When will we can the PA guy (Dan Yorke). He is awful & makes us look bush league. He's got to go. Hopefully he's only temporary. Inexcusable not covering Olsen the last 10 seconds & not being able to get the ball in bounds from the sideline. With 4 guys from last yr's team playing major minutes this early I guess they are going to revert to old ways when under pressure. In time this will pass. Hopefully it's not much longer.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think we should hold off on the Hurley group being outcoached stuff; this group as is and what we/ve seen is going to continue to struggle getting wins; the "A" game needed to do that has so many variables that all of them coming together on the same nite is not going to happen often enough. As for TJ getting some test drive at the point, I think he's not shown he can run the offense for any period of time. I think he/d not handle any pressure with his current ball handling skills, size(over Mike)he brings. I think the coaches look upon the floor of these players they inherited(for the most part)and do see them rivert back to bad habits, careless with the ball, Powell into the trees etc. etc. and have zero solutions on the bench. It still concerns me that teams will see that taking X out of the offense with their defensive strategy then leaves us with not much other go-to-guy offense options............Powell in the trees...........
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I had to wonder why, needing only a final stop to win the game, why Powell was even in the game?
He gets beaten on defense, game after game.
Why was Olson so wide open for the tying three?
Malone played a solid game. Nik is a turnover machine. Stupid passes, gets
the ball taken away in traffic.
Three inbounds plays resulting in turnovers.
Just too sloppy with the ball.
We seemed to be trying to run out the clock in the last five minutes again.
Powell is the same Powell as last year. Let's stop kidding ourselves.
Coaching him up, obviously hasn't worked.
Even in games over the weekend that he played well, he reverted back to form
at the end of games. TOO MUCH DRIBBLING!
TJ? He doesn't show anything, what's the fascination with him by people here?
The PA guy is a total disgrace. "Jordan Hare in for the first time".
Hello! He started the game!
"So and so is out for a rest". What kind of unprofessional garbage is that?
The screaming like a carnival barker before the game begins, yelling for noise.
STFU!
0 x
BarlowHall05
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BarlowHall05 »

Totally agree about the PA guy. His job is just to announce who scored, who's been subbed in and official timeouts. No need to tell me why the guy is being subbed out (for a rest, etc). What if it's from ineffective play?

My obsession in TJ has more to do with I know what we have in Powell, so I'm curious to see what the other options are. If mike doesn't get any better he'll just be keeping that spot warm for E.C. next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, why not let Munford run the point.
He can handle and made a couple of nice passes.
Why is Powell throwing the ball in, when he can't see
over people?
0 x
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

Just when we thought this team had turned a corner, the terrible shooting of the Norfolk and VT games returned along with horrible sloppy play, turnovers at critical times and other miscues.

Two raspberry awards: one goes to Mike Powell for poor ball management, clock management and poor court awareness. He drove mindlessly three times into the lane. You would think by now, they would have play that calls for him to pass it off to a post positioned layer or another. His one assist just confirms his lack of leadership and court awareness. The second raspberry goes to Nik who as a senior shows no maturity whatsoever. A stupid foul call at a critical juncture and his lack of clutch shooting, whether it is three pointers or at the foul line, shows that.

There was one team out there last night, scrapping for every ball, showing intensity, determination, consistency and errorless play and it was not URI. Give me winning any day for losing is not pretty and you saw it on the faces of the Rams in the closing minutes of the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Regarding the 3 pointer near the end of regulation, Hurley said in today's paper, "We had a defensive meltdown at the end of regulation where we didn't switch out. We were in a switching defense where we are switching every screen and we failed to do that. It's disappointing." .....I didn't see the game and Hurley doesn't say who it was that didn't switch, so I don't know whose fault it was.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am glad that I decided to pass on tickets this season. I wouldn't be able to take the frustration and it would be terrible to my health and well being. I in fact have seen very few Rhody games in person the last three seasons. It has been too brutal to watch. I do however hope to return to the Ryan Center for most games next season.

I viewed this season as a lost cause and the team is proving me right. There is simply not enough talent and basketball smarts. This year is a just a bridge to next year. Hurley just needs to set the tone and foundation for the future. As for me, I didn't want to invest any energy in this team given that most all the players will have no real future with Rhody. Several graduate such as Malesevic, Brooks, and Malone. Instead of wanting to catch their play before it ends, I can't wait until they move on. As for most of the others on this team, they hopefully won't be seeing much playing time next season as ALL our recruits and transfers are appreciably better. The only players on this team I want to see in the future are Hare and Munford. Others such as Powell and Buchanan should only give the starters some short rest going forward. They are sadly not the answer and their playing time this season means nothing.

I am now starting to wonder if this squad even wins as many games (7) as last year. Sorry to be harsh. This is just how I look at this year. It is a necessary byproduct in the continuing quest to get better and I believe those days are getting nearer.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RIKen822 wrote:What was the issue with shot clock play? I was sitting behind that basket and I'm certain it nicked the front of the rim before the shot clock went off.
The issue was the shot was not made before shot clock expired. The player pumped, which cost him some time. Seemed like the horn was sounding when the ball was still in his hand.

Something was wrong with the Ryan Center backboards all night. They are supposed to light up RED when the shot clock buzzer sounds, but they did not on that play or on any other play. Why don't the GlobalSpectrum people we pay to run this building maintain and test the equipment prior to tipoff?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The people under the basket said the first shot hit the rim, so the clock shot should have reset to 35.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It DID hit the rim, but the dispute was that the buzzer sounded prior to that shot being released.

Also, while I'm disappointed that we cannot hear from Dan after the game on the radio, Jim Carr was not holding much back which is a nice change of pace from the last decade.

When asked about the Auburn game Sunday afternoon, he called it a scheduling mistake that they inherited. "Bad scheduling"

He also called out Nik's FT shooting saying that he should be a 85% FT shooter. Coach Carr called the FT shooting a disappointment.

What I was really upset about were all these stagnant inbounds plays. That is one of things I thought would be a great improvement over our previous teams.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

the backboard does not light up red for the end of the shot clock only the end of the halves
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

A Loyola player came free on the left side outside the arc and got the ball. Malone left Olson to cover him. The ball was passed to Olson who drained the 3 to tie the game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd like to hear Dan Hurley for once after a game.
Even CFL came on and bored the hell out of us after games.
As for, "we don't have enough talent to win". sorry,
not buying it.
If we have enough talent to take Ohio State down to the end, and lead Norfolk State, Seton Hall and
Loyola, deep into games, we had enough talent to beat these teams.
It's what happens at the end of games that's the problem.
It all begins with a point guard who loves to mindlessly dribble out the clock,
drive aimlessly to the basket and get suffocated.
How did the box score say Powell had zero turnovers, when I saw at least five?
If your point guard, the leader on the floor resembles Terry Pittman instead of
Tyson Wheeler, you're going to have problems in crunch time. Period.
Nik is another culprit in crunch time. Seems to come up with either a turnover,
bad shot, a foul or missed free throws when he needs to step up.
I think these two guys have so many bad habits, they may be lost causes.
They used to tell us in Shotokan, it's ten times harder to unlearn bad habits as to get it right
to begin with.
Munford and Malone played under control all night.
Neither forced shots, and their misses were on good looks. Munford almost won the game
with a three.
Hare was wonderful, and I look forward to his futher progress.
I wonder who got into his head since the weekend?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Regarding one of the rasberries; "a post positioned player......" unfortunately within this curent group, we aint's gots that........I do think in the future we/ll have that in abundance with players coming being added for next season, and with the potential that Jordan Hare is showing, I think he can develop into that low post presence. There was a sequence in the SH game(I think)where Powell did dribble drive and made pass attempt to an open Jordan Hare that had opened up/post positioned to receive pass.........only to have it mishandled.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Issac wrote: There was one team out there last night, scrapping for every ball, showing intensity, determination, consistency and errorless play and it was not URI. Give me winning any day for losing is not pretty and you saw it on the faces of the Rams in the closing minutes of the game.
Um...idk what game you were watching, but they scrapped all over the place. They were fighting for every loose ball, going out, going on the floor. That's the only positive you can really say about this team as a whole.

We can't shoot, we're not that talented, we knew that going in, and you can thank your boy JB for leaving the cupboard as bare and shitty as he did. It's a lot to turn around a cancerous culture that's been breeding for over a decade in a couple games.

You can't tell me that this team and these players aren't making strides in their game and you're not seeing improvement. They're actually being coached. They are looking like a young, raw team (which they are).

Of course we're going to make errors. It's 5 games into a rebuilding project. Powell has to un-learn what he was "taught" by Jim Baron, and that doesn't happen overnight.

Let me know when you see a young team, a brand new coach without his own players, playing a schedule that has 4 probable NCAA teams in its first 5 games playing "consistent and errorless."

How's the weather in northern NY?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, Hare needs to finish better.
He missed a dunk and a couple of bunny layups. He
doesn't go up strong with two hands on the ball.
Still better than Brooks' flinging the ball in the general direction of the basket.
Blue man, this is not a young team.
Malone, Nik and Brooks, 3 starters are seniors.
Powell is in his second year as starting PG.
Munford is a junior.
Only Hare qualifies as "young" in the rotation.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

We're not young in age & class but we are in game experience. Malone is a senior but really, how much has he played? Wasn't playing a lot at Auburn. Transferred & lost a yr of experience with only 10 games. He's senior but little game experience. Brooks is senior who really hasn't played at all. He's been a lost cause. Nik does have experience but is too immature as a player. Powell really wasn't a point in high school & really isn't one right now. Didn't learn much last yr even tho he played a lot. Buchanan just doesn't have a position. He's not a point & can't shoot to play the 2 guard. When healthy he's a pretty good defender but that's about it. Bigby is still a question. He has some experience but not at the level to take on OSU & other programs. REally only played 2 seasons at Northeastern. And he, like TJ, has no offensive game.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

RIKen822 wrote:A Loyola player came free on the left side outside the arc and got the ball. Malone left Olson to cover him. The ball was passed to Olson who drained the 3 to tie the game.
Look back at what Hurley said and it clearly wasn't Malone's fault. He switched on the screen, but whoever was covering #23 didn't switch to Olson and left him wide open. Whoever was covering #23 blew it.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Was it Munford?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about fouling? Even if they made 2, we win.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Hare was wonderful, and I look forward to his futher progress.
I wonder who got into his head since the weekend?
Rod, as far as Hare goes, I think he got OUT of his own head since the weekend. The first few games he looked timid out there, just afraid to make a mistake. Last night, he looked like the game was finally slowing down a bit for him and he was just reacting and playing his game. Not overthinking things too much and realizing that he still has superior athletic skills that can compete at this level as well. His confidence should hopefully be sky high right now.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:How about fouling? Even if they made 2, we win.
Hurley said after the game he was concerned about our rebounding ability off missed free throws. I'd say OT proved him right on that count.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The only reason this game was close was the rebounding and shot blocking of Jonathan hare. DH did a great job resting JH throughout the game and got maximum production from him when he was on the court.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Of course you foul at the end of the game. You need for Loyola to make the first AND miss the second AND get the offensive rebound AND have it get passed back behind the three point line AND for a Loyola kid to make it in order for Rhody to lose in regulation. It's ridiculous. Plain and simple. Instead, you let Loyola get off a clean look. Horrible end game coaching with the lead. Again.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Brooks shouldn't touch the court again. I don't mean to be harsh but he clearly doesn't have the ability to help the team unless it is to give fouls. I want Hare out there with Aaman or Bigby at all times. We need to develop Hare and Aaman and playing Brooks at this point doesn't make any sense to me.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I think we definitely should have fouled......guarenteed same situation next time and coach tells them to foul
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Of course you foul at the end of the game. You need for Loyola to make the first AND miss the second AND get the offensive rebound AND have it get passed back behind the three point line AND for a Loyola kid to make it in order for Rhody to lose in regulation. It's ridiculous. Plain and simple. Instead, you let Loyola get off a clean look. Horrible end game coaching with the lead. Again.
It sure is easier to know what to do once you see the outcome, isnt it?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Of course you foul at the end of the game. You need for Loyola to make the first AND miss the second AND get the offensive rebound AND have it get passed back behind the three point line AND for a Loyola kid to make it in order for Rhody to lose in regulation. It's ridiculous. Plain and simple. Instead, you let Loyola get off a clean look. Horrible end game coaching with the lead. Again.
Honestly, how many times every college basketball year do you see what happened last night play out? It happens all the time. Now, how many times every college basketball season do you see a team down three step to the line with under 8 seconds left hit the first free throw, miss the second, grab the ball in a scramble, and make a shot (even a two to tie)? It just happens with way less frequency. I really can't remember the last one. Shooters in college are so good that you just can't give them a shot, even if it was contested unlike the free look last night. Coaches are afraid to look bad and lose a game like that rather than losing in OT. This was a coaching fail.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Honestly, how many times every college basketball year do you see what happened last night play out? It happens all the time. Now, how many times every college basketball season do you see a team down three step to the line with under 8 seconds left hit the first free throw, miss the second, grab the ball in a scramble, and make a shot (even a two to tie)? It just happens with way less frequency. I really can't remember the last one. Shooters in college are so good that you just can't give them a shot, even if it was contested unlike the free look last night. Coaches are afraid to look bad and lose a game like that rather than losing in OT. This was a coaching fail.
Agreed, and Coaches know what they are going to do in that situation before it happens. What we saw was Hurley's philosophy in these situations.
For me I always want to foul in that situation.
With 3.7 seconds to go the odds of a guy making the first FT, then missing the 2nd on purpose, then getting the rebound and hitting a 2 pointer to tie all within this time have very high odds against it happening. Also he must hit the 1st FT which isn't automatic.
But here was a Senior, Olson, who shot 41% from 3 point land last season, who gets the ball inbounded to him and takes the shot. 41% of the time he is going to hit that shot - and he did. Whether it was a defensive lapse or not, the best odds to win the game would be to foul and send the guy to the line.
Will be interesting to see what happens next time URI is in this situation.
I know if I am a Loyola fan I am hoping like crazy that URI does NOT foul and let's me get off a shot.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd like to see Munford run the point more often, especially at the end of a game. Had it with Powell.
There were some substitutions at the end that puzzled me. Why did Hare come out? When he did, there was little hope for a rebound. AAmen hardly played. He may be young, but he knows where he should be. Would have liked to see him rebounding on the free throws at the end. We might have grabbed one with him and hare in.
Why wasn't TJ, a defensive player, covering their best shooter?
This is the second straight game where they seemed to try to run out the clock too early.
This was a very frustrating loss.
"I guess I picked the wrong week to give up drinking."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:Honestly, how many times every college basketball year do you see what happened last night play out? It happens all the time. Now, how many times every college basketball season do you see a team down three step to the line with under 8 seconds left hit the first free throw, miss the second, grab the ball in a scramble, and make a shot (even a two to tie)? It just happens with way less frequency. I really can't remember the last one. Shooters in college are so good that you just can't give them a shot, even if it was contested unlike the free look last night. Coaches are afraid to look bad and lose a game like that rather than losing in OT. This was a coaching fail.
I have to agree. It's almost taboo to talk about fouling when up by 3. Coaches have a hundred reasons why it's a "bad idea". They talk about "what if" the fouled player decides to throw the ball up in the air and the ref generously gives them a shooting foul.

Is it worse to lose by giving up an open three (or any three) than to be beaten off a missed FT and subsequent FG to tie or win?

I can't think of a worse LOOKING way to lose a 3 pt lead in that situation. The way it played out, it just looks bad to get the one guy who can shoot that shot a clean look.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Honestly, how many times every college basketball year do you see what happened last night play out? It happens all the time. Now, how many times every college basketball season do you see a team down three step to the line with under 8 seconds left hit the first free throw, miss the second, grab the ball in a scramble, and make a shot (even a two to tie)? It just happens with way less frequency. I really can't remember the last one. Shooters in college are so good that you just can't give them a shot, even if it was contested unlike the free look last night. Coaches are afraid to look bad and lose a game like that rather than losing in OT. This was a coaching fail.
I have to agree. It's almost taboo to talk about fouling when up by 3. Coaches have a hundred reasons why it's a "bad idea". They talk about "what if" the fouled player decides to throw the ball up in the air and the ref generously gives them a shooting foul.

Is it worse to lose by giving up an open three (or any three) than to be beaten off a missed FT and subsequent FG to tie or win?

I can't think of a worse LOOKING way to lose a 3 pt lead in that situation. The way it played out, it just looks bad to get the one guy who can shoot that shot a clean look.
Lot's of discussion on this subject regarding being up 3 and whether to foul or not. This is one of the better ones I read.......
http://www.hoopsaddict.com/should-a-coa ... ose-games/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I went back and did my research on the Loyola Game regarding the 3 Point Shot that we allowed them to take with 3.5 seconds to go to tie the game. Interesting to go through the thread and read the comments about Jordan Hare exactly 1 year ago. If only he could bring this type of performance to the court every game.

SG: Hare has shown off some great athleticism tonight. Only four points, but 12 boards and at least 3 blocks, I believe
Adam: What a putback slam from Hare!!
SG: The thing about Hare's slams is that he just looks so effortless doing it. Like, both of them, it didn't look like he got that much off the ground, but they were both easy.
Adam: Absolutely, I was thinking the same thing, it finally looks like he is just reacting out there and not overthinking things too much. Just doing what comes naturally to him. Hopefully the game is finally slowing down for him out there.
Optimistic: On the positive side of things look at Hare's stat line: 8 pts (3-5 FG, 2-6 FT) 16 rebounds, and 7 blocks!
Section 105: Hare, besides what has been stated did not get into any fo trouble, which for me is a huge deal for a freshmen, learning how to be a force on defensive w/o fouling.
Rod: First of all, this was Jordan Hare's coming out party. If he continues to play like this, we have a real player. He was awesome tonight.
Dude: Hare was a beast. The kid had 16 rebounds and 7 blocks. If you have a freshman center who has a game like that, there's no excuse to not come away with a win...PERIOD.
Rambone: Btw, what was up with Aaman? 7 minutes and no points. As good as Hare was, Aaman was invisible. If Hare had had some help, we might have had a semblance of an inside game.
Neil: Jordan was a different person!!!!!
Rod: Hare was wonderful, and I look forward to his futher progress. I wonder who got into his head since the weekend?
Section 105: I do think in the future we/ll have that in abundance with players coming being added for next season, and with the potential that Jordan Hare is showing, I think he can develop into that low post presence. There was a sequence in the SH game(I think)where Powell did dribble drive and made pass attempt to an open Jordan Hare that had opened up/post positioned to receive pass.........only to have it mishandled.......
Rod: Yes, Hare needs to finish better. He missed a dunk and a couple of bunny layups. He doesn't go up strong with two hands on the ball.
Adam: Rod, as far as Hare goes, I think he got OUT of his own head since the weekend. The first few games he looked timid out there, just afraid to make a mistake. Last night, he looked like the game was finally slowing down a bit for him and he was just reacting and playing his game. Not overthinking things too much and realizing that he still has superior athletic skills that can compete at this level as well. His confidence should hopefully be sky high right now.
Rhody72: The only reason this game was close was the rebounding and shot blocking of Jonathan hare. DH did a great job resting JH throughout the game and got maximum production from him when he was on the court.
Tom98: I want Hare out there with Aaman or Bigby at all times. We need to develop Hare and Aaman and playing Brooks at this point doesn't make any sense to me.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, we don't have enough to talk about, we have to dredge up threads from last year? WTF!
Hare had one good game. BFD! He fooled us.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Rod, right before this season you were all gun ho that Hare was much improved and excited to see him play. Why so down on him now?
0 x