Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 8 @ 8pm

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Again, patience.
Anyone who expected this team to just steamroll opponents from day one.
doesn't know basketball.
Temple under Chaney always got off to .500 starts and gained momentum over the season,
so that by tournament time, they were ready.
For any team with seven new players, and losing a player, this is to be expected.
Part of the problem this year, so far, has been not having the team Dan
wants on the floor, due to foul problems.
I think all the negativity, even after wins, is a bit much.
I'll join you in going nuts over the SMU debacle, but bitching about wins?
Take a breath and try to get the big picture.
Dead on Rod...I feel like there is alot of overreaction to every game so far this season.
amen

everyone should just accept that with a team of 7 newcomers this is going to be the byproduct, they arent going to gel after 40, 80 or 120 minutes of game action. it is going to take time. 9-10 games. along the way there are going to be more lumps like we have seen. if we are playing like this in january/february then start bitching.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This game does not count towards our record, its just like the Southern Conn game, which nobody counts when talking about our overall record. When teams beat Chaminade in the Maui Invitational, those wins aren't counted in the teams record.
0 x
Go Rhody
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

doesn't know basketball.
Temple under Chaney always got off to .500 starts and gained momentum over the season,
For any team with seven new players, and losing a player, this is to be expected.

Let's not fool ourselves, the reason Temple was .500 is because they played a horrific OOC schedule. They play several ranked teams on the road.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good meds will do that every time. Ha ha.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

haha
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Rhody15 wrote:This game does not count towards our record, its just like the Southern Conn game, which nobody counts when talking about our overall record. When teams beat Chaminade in the Maui Invitational, those wins aren't counted in the teams record.
it counts if it's part of the regular season or tournament, it doesn't count if it's declared as an exhibition/open scrimmage. Only 1 non D1 game will count in the record
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
doesn't know basketball.
Dead on Rod...I feel like there is alot of overreaction to every game so far this season.
amen

everyone should just accept that with a team of 7 newcomers this is going to be the byproduct, they arent going to gel after 40, 80 or 120 minutes of game action. it is going to take time. 9-10 games. along the way there are going to be more lumps like we have seen. if we are playing like this in january/february then start bitching.

I look at that 2 week break during Finals as a key time we really see this team gel together
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody15: the Metro State win is counted in the record. It is not included in the RPI calculation and is not a factor in determining invites to the NCAA dance.

P.S. It is counted in the predictioncontest since that is based on 31 games.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's a combination of all the new players, plus I don't think we're quite as good as advertised. We will be OK later in the season, and get some nice wins, don't get me wrong.

I just think that there are too many holes on this roster, for us to win 20 this year. I'm not trying to be overly negative, just realistic.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NOW Scouting the Wildcats on WatchESPN.com or ESPNU
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index?id=1182222
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Changing starting PGs usually sets a team back, but it is necessary. When you let poorer teams hang with you, it gives them confidence. We need to start the team that will bury such an opponent.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Too bad the Pats didn't win.
Great drive by Brady with 59 seconds left.
Gronk gets clearly held in the end zone, a flag is thrown,
and then picked up by the ref. Pats would have had the ball for one
last play on the one yard line.
Ridiculous!
ATP don't watch Arizona. You'll have nightmares.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I turned it off, too.
Can we get a huge game tomorrow?
Beat a top 5 team?
It would definitely make my day!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hey, we were 47% from 3 tonight! We only shot 42% from the field.
Amazing!
Martin had 5 rebs. in 12 minutes.
McCarron only got 5 of his 19 points in the 2nd
half, mainly due to Biggie's defense.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

let's not get into a fast pace game with Zona, need to grind it out
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Not sure why I decided to turn on the Zona game to check them out, damn they're big. I shouldn't be watching this. Moral victory for Rhody if they keep it within 50?
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ballallday »

Jcru and all you other " blame Michael Powell for everything" posters. I have two words for you. God bless. Its incredible to me that he has been the problem with this team in many of you guys minds since day 1.

His good times (2011 Texas, 2012 SMU, Seton Hall, 2 ROW's) were ignored to some degree and the bad (2013 SMU , 2012 UMASS and others are talked about all day and every play.

Over time, the stress, the mental fatigue and the desire to show you he can play, in my opinion, may have caught up to him. I wish Mike had my mentality. Hell , I would have contacted you posters who critize on a game by game basis and let you know exactly how I felt a l9ng time ago. My son is too damn nice too me. He still want to be a part of RI. He thinks he can one day prove he worthy of clapping for. Never. Not in a million year at RI.

Forget the fact that hes a 20 year old college kid. Forget that. What about the fact that wears your teams jersey. They all do. Criticism is fine but much of the talk about mike is way too much.

I remember the Kaza Keane talk that he dealt with. And the day in and day out negative board discussions from his first few weeks. Its borderline insanity too me. Damn , you mean to tell me that mike is why everythg on and off the court in RI has happened? Yeah right. Surprised many of you all didnt blame him for the shooter on campus last year.

So again guys. God bless you all. Continue as you were about mike and whatever you chose. He will be fine. There is nothing like a little adversity to make you stronger than before. He has family in Chicago that will gladly take him back.

Go Rhody, still
Mike Powell Sr.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ballallday wrote:Jcru and all you other " blame Michael Powell for everything" posters. I have two words for you. God bless. Its incredible to me that he has been the problem with this team in many of you guys minds since day 1.

His good times (2011 Texas, 2012 SMU, Seton Hall, 2 ROW's) were ignored to some degree and the bad (2013 SMU , 2012 UMASS and others are talked about all day and every play.

Over time, the stress, the mental fatigue and the desire to show you he can play, in my opinion, may have caught up to him. I wish Mike had my mentality. Hell , I would have contacted you posters who critize on a game by game basis and let you know exactly how I felt a l9ng time ago. My son is too damn nice too me. He still want to be a part of RI. He thinks he can one day prove he worthy of clapping for. Never. Not in a million year at RI.

Forget the fact that hes a 20 year old college kid. Forget that. What about the fact that wears your teams jersey. They all do. Criticism is fine but much of the talk about mike is way too much.

I remember the Kaza Keane talk that he dealt with. And the day in and day out negative board discussions from his first few weeks. Its borderline insanity too me. Damn , you mean to tell me that mike is why everythg on and off the court in RI has happened? Yeah right. Surprised many of you all didnt blame him for the shooter on campus last year.

So again guys. God bless you all. Continue as you were about mike and whatever you chose. He will be fine. There is nothing like a little adversity to make you stronger than before. He has family in Chicago that will gladly take him back.

Go Rhody, still
Mike Powell Sr.
Mike, in fairness it is not everyone here. Mike is well-liked by almost all of the fans. It is a vocal minority that take their frustrations out on your son. I hope you and he both know that.

Also in fairness, it isn't just URI fans. I follow some other teams, and post on message boards for some college football teams, and all fan bases do this. For some people that don't identify with the University beyond the basketball team, they treat it like pro sports. It isn't fair to the kids, but unfortunately it comes with the territory. I hope Mike Jr. doesn't let it bother him and keeps on grinding. Believe it or not, we're all rooting for him (and all of the guys).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

my problem isn't with mike's character or really his play, my comments were based on watching the team and noting that it flows better with the 3 M's in there. I think he can still contribute but more as a role/key player off the bench. If he's okay with that and wants to contribute to the team that way then it speaks to his character and yours to not quit when you're down.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know I've been one of the critical ones, but nothing personal against Mike.

He has, and will, continue to play a role for this team. Maybe not as prominent as the one that he had, but he will still provide some valuable minutes going forward.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

The thing I find funny is comments change game to game. And again, neither neither Mike nor I want sympathy or change of hearts. We both have read this crap for way too long.

As far as the offense flowing better I have no comment. Thats a Dan Hurley decision. I will say that I remember about a game or two ago biggie was on the same mike powell garbage ball player list in some of u guys post. Hilarious.

Hell yeah, it bothers him. All 3 years of it ? But like I said, he is tougher and smarter than me. I would have dare taken that for 3 years. As bad as RI was when he got therw. Are you serious?

Btw, if you are under 30 or in HS please ignore my text and continue to have fun in school.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, this is a first. For me, anyway.

I apologize for my comments, Mr. Powell.

At the same time, very tough position for Dan Hurley who makes a living based on W's and L's. If the second half continued like the first, I don't think too many people around here would have been happy with a 20 point loss to Metro State.

You want what is best for you son. Ultimately, Dan has no choice but to do whatever is best for the team. Hence he shook up the lineup instead of going down without a fight. Maybe Jim Baron, who recruited your son, would have just stuck with the same lineup and taken his chances.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Rambone yes , you have been very critical of mike for a while and it cool. Thats ur opinion. Personally, as a father of a kid who has heard this for this long and who has not felt good about it for years, im tired of it. Who the hell wants to be critisized all day, damn near everyday and then wake up and do it again another day?

Oh yeah, nowwww im going play better. Yeah right? You all are not in the same shoes. And maybe when you are it will be a different story.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You know, you called me out by name (I'm like Beetlejuice, never do that unless you really want to talk to me). And since I'm not actually working tomorrow and have a moment, I'd like to address something to you. As I told TP, I can be reasonable and actually have a conversation, if you are willing to give it a go.

TJ Buchanan, was a Jim Baron recruit, who now seems by all accounts to have accepted a scaled down role on this team. He comes off the bench. I remember when he was a freshman, people were raving about some of his games, the same as your son, Mike. That came to an end the day Jim Baron was shown the door.

Mike Aaman, was basically recruited to be a role player. Recruited for Wagner and followed Bobby Hurley here. He comes off the bench. He also, like TJ, accepts the role of a player who puts other players on his back. He's the low guy on the pyramid, so to speak. He carries the weight, so that others can shine. He knew that coming here. So, that's a little different situation.

You seem very irate. Some of that is of course very understandable because of the comments on here. But, I'm wondering what is going through Mike's head. Is this the situation that "keeps Dan up at night"? Is your son basically unwilling to come off the bench and be a role player because that's not what he was promised when he was recruited? Did Jim Baron promise you guys that Mike would someday be a 2nd round draft pick in the NBA or at least play professionally in Europe? Because, if he did, then this makes much more sense.
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Jcru

Be serious.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That was serious.

I'm quite sure that is the MILLION dollar question that is on everybody's mind these days.

And you know the answer. So spill the beans. What should we expect here going forward?

I wish Jim Baron would have come on the board here and called me out. We could have solved a lot of riddles around here that were bugging us for years.
Last edited by jcru 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Love Mike P. Huge 3 tonight!
0 x
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Jcru

Please man. My son came to play basket and get a degree. Its unfortunate I didnt teach him all of this bs.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

j, I thought you might be evolving, sorry you're still an ass.

Mike Sr.
if you have been paying attention as closely as you admit, you must realize that the critics of Mike Jr. are in the minority, please remember this factoid, while most of us are so passionate about 'our team' we often feel crushed when losing, most of us return to rational thought when the dust settles.

Mike has displayed some real grit and hardcore willingness to 'take it for the team'. I'm sure you (Mike Sr.) also realize that I for one am a big time fan of Mike and will speak for others who are, we don't sing his praise in response to some negative posts, sometimes, as a means to NOT engage with fools in fools arguments. And most of us are not as short term as you might think, we know of and appreciate all of Mike's hard work. As bad as things have been over the past two seasons, the work Mike has done has been a great source of pride. I still see Mike as a great asset on this team and whether he plays 35 minutes or 20 minutes he is a needed and trusted member of Rhody.

As you are a proud dad, I can understand your anxiety over some of the more crude takes some low class fans have, but rest assured most of us out here have mad love for Mike and we give it up for his commitment to our beloved school.

Also as a dad I could see how you worry for your son's feelings, however, my take is Mike Jr is tough as nails, smart and hard working, that's a winning combination! Something tells me he's going to do just fine for himself in this world, and be an important part of big things for this program.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RR, this has nothing to do with you. He called me out, we gave an apology, he said he doesn't want an apology he doesn't want our crap. So I want my question answered.

What are Mike and Mr. Powell's expectations here for Mike's role on this team?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

j, it does have to do with me bro, as we are both members of this board, thus forever will be associated as such. That's what you're not getting. And, it's not just you, others I think forget this fact. Either way, the fact is we are a community and our behaviors reflect on each other.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's all well and good. But this can all be resolved by Mr Powell answering that question. Then we'll know exactly want he expects. Does the team come first or does Mike's career come first? Is he expecting Mike to be the starter regardless, even though others have accepted more limited roles and playing time when asked to do so?

This is highly important here going forward, don't you think so?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice comeback win over a solid opponent, I don't care if they are d 2 they are better than some teams on our schedule and a lot of d 1 schools

Zona won by 50 I cantr wait to see this spread

The larger the spread the more I will put on URI
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RR, let me just say one last thing, then I'll call it a morning.

It's not a coincidence, that Mr. Powell chose tonight to come on the msg board. He's been here before, he's spoken out before, and he's been reading all along, like he said. He could have come on here last week or next week, instead he chose tonight.

He came on tonight, because after the last two games, if Hurley sends the same starting unit he sent in there the last two games, people who are considered to have "basketball knowledge" around here, like KMac and Bill Reynolds, will probably start to question his sanity. It's very clear that a change of the pecking order is about to take place, and Mr. Powell knows that.

So, he's pissed off at us, for basically contributing to that. And, I would be too, by some of the comments, sure, he has every right.

However, the other side of the coin is, now it IS going to take place and how do the Powells intend to handle that? So, the question is very relevant.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I have a problem too with the negative mike p comments fyi. It has been so wierd to me watching the obession by some ppl on here. This is someone who is/has been a significant contributor for two years. It is pretty obvious from watching EC that he is an unbelievable talent. But this is a team sport and as we have seen especially so far this year different players step up each night and there will be nights when mike wins games for us. This is a team sport. I can guarantee dan hurley wants to punch a few of these posters in the mouth...there attempts seem to be an effort to tear a team apart. Please tell mike most of us here are fans of him and this team. This will be the most exciting team we have had in a long time. This was the third game!
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Oh and jcru u mention tj and mike aaman as accepting a reduced role? When has mike ever not accepted anything? Never. He plays when dan hurley wants him to play and as far as I've seen everytime he has sat he has done it without any issues. Your implying this isnt the case is another example if your strange obsession. Go take the mike p poloroids and newsclippings down from your walls u sick freak. Ive stayed silent for a long time while i read your sh*t and gave u a few chances to explain yourself. I dont care if u give money to uri u are a loser

For the record i love ec mattews. But u dont start kicking everyone else off the team when u get a superstar. Some if u dont know basketball and it gets ridiculous
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Feel better now?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I would put my money on MSU over FDU tonight. There is a reason we got that matchup and not Zona. In the end we still should have beaten them a little more comfortably if we could hit some bunny layups but they are a solid team. They were really killing us on our made hoops with quick inbounds passed. It reminded me of UConn a few years back when Calhoun wanted the guys to down the court and scoring in under 5 seconds after a made hoop. It is tough to defend and requires a lot of discipline.

Most encouraging thing last night was the half time adjustments that the team made. Good teams do that when facing a lesser foe that punched them in the mouth the first half. Second time we have seen it this year so maybe it is not a fluke.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

jcru wrote:Feel better now?
Yes, a little bit thanks. When I saw rhodylaw was the last poster on this thread I tjought I was getting sued.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Lurk, I don't blame you for being upset.

But, go back and read the last page or two of this thread. We as a board were finally getting along. We were doing fine. Having a virtual love fest after a big win. I agreed to not make comments about MP anymore, so did Blue Man.

Then, MP's father comes on angry as a hornet. I don't believe in coincidences. He came on here with a bone to pick with me and a bunch of other people because his son was likely informed at the end of the game in the locker room that the three amigos are getting the start vs Zona.

Everything was going good up until that. You're rehashing stuff that was said on Sunday and prior to that. I can't take back what was said, I can only worry about going forward.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Arizona gets the brakes beat off them tonight.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I never understood all the negativity around here in the first place regarding Mike Powell, people just need to calm down. But in reality, it's a handful of posters being vocal about their opinion tha Mike isn't a high level player and URI obviously has thousands and thousand of fans. I can def see how parents find it tough to read this board due to variety of opinions thrown around and the ability for a couple of posters to be able to dominate the conversation. At the end of the day, the majority of the posters here appreciate all the players and we know Dan will play the players that give us the best chance to win period.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have criticized Mike's play in the past. I have criticized other players as well. I would never criticize Mike or any other player as a person.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm

Unread post by bigappleram »

this is ridiculous, i ask the same question, are you serious? enough with the jim baron conspiracy theories, and asking a players father to share info about how he was recruited to prove some ridiculous point. what we have here is a QB controversy, it happens in sports all the time. 2 kids competing for a spot. i think most posters here want only 1 thing, for both players to excel to further the team's success.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's not what I was asking him at all, BAR.

I asked him a straightforward question: What are his and his son's expectations going forward?

This was obviously inevitable. He was going to come on here sooner or later, as soon as his son lost the starting PG job.

The fact that it was sooner, is fine by me. But it was going to happen, I have no doubt about that.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Like I said, up until 1:33 am this morning, after all of you guys went to bed, this board was fine and we were focused on Arizona.

What changed that? It wasn't me this time.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodylaw wrote:I would put my money on MSU over FDU tonight. There is a reason we got that matchup and not Zona. In the end we still should have beaten them a little more comfortably if we could hit some bunny layups but they are a solid team. They were really killing us on our made hoops with quick inbounds passed. It reminded me of UConn a few years back when Calhoun wanted the guys to down the court and scoring in under 5 seconds after a made hoop. It is tough to defend and requires a lot of discipline.

Most encouraging thing last night was the half time adjustments that the team made. Good teams do that when facing a lesser foe that punched them in the mouth the first half. Second time we have seen it this year so maybe it is not a fluke.
I would bet money on Metro tonight for sure.

As for the rest of it, this is embarrassing. You see why I am always making a point about how we talk about the kids on the team. They and their families read the board. So please just keep that in mind going forward and let's move on to Arizona. Jcru, it isn't any of your business what Mike and his father's expectations are. We shouldn't be interjecting ourselves into team business. We are fans, Hurley is the coach. Respect that line.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Back to the game..... Kevin McNamara reports from Arizona and is rewarded for his travels by tonight's game vs #5 Arizona.

Projo's Game Story:
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -66-63.ece

Projo's Game Notebook:
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ession.ece
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

You know how many times I've started to write a response to JCRU's comments on MP and deleted it? It's just not worth it because it prolongs his bashing of a 20-year old young man.

I don't understand how you can write the sh*t that you right and feel okay with clicking "submit". You bash this young man who works his ass off for this team. He averaged like 9ppg and 4assists last year. He's not a great PG, but he gives this game his all and seems to accept his role on this team pretty well. I think he would be completely okay with not starting if it's right for the team, and based upon how reasonable his Dad's comments on here have been, I think he would understand that as well.

I have no connection at all to Mike Powell Jr, other than that we went to the same school. I have no idea how his Dad has gone this long without writing a response to some of the sh*t that JCRU has written regarding his son. I read literally every post on this website and I've just been waiting for MP Sr. to speak up...and I'm glad he did.

And... Yeah this website was fine last night until we woke up and read the bullsh*t you've been saying about MP and to his Father. That really pisses me off. You should be ashamed of yourself.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All I'm doing is making observations. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the team is performing better with Minnis and or EC at the point. Yes, a little while ago Biggie wasn't playing well either, but he has IMPROVED, whereas Mike has not.

I am sure Mike is a great kid and works hard. Heck, in the open practice he looked great! It just looks like it's time to start the other two, and have Mike come off the bench at times. It's still an important role, everyone who plays any minutes, is important to the team's success.

This is nothing personal whatsoever against Mike. It's basketball related only.

We are fans. We want what's best for the TEAM.
0 x