Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 8 @ 8pm

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Even after my fridge failing today (pending a $40 starter relay due to arrive Wednesday), a great way to lift my spirits.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:it's not relentlessly going after a kid if people are just observing him playing like garbage. mike's probably a good kid. but he's getting paid a shit load more than i got to go to school - at as someone who donates and pays money to watch this team, i think the criticism is completely fair game.

to my next point...have we got to the point where we can just decide to start EC and not go into a hole early? wouldn't it be nice to see what playing with a lead is like?

that being said it really doesnt matter what lineup we put out tomorrow...its gonna be a blood bath.
Criticism is fine. What isn't fine is for someone to fixate on a kid and make his presence here almost entirely about criticizing that kid. And your credibility to criticize someone's game is greatly reduced after you have made personal attacks about a kid's character previously. That shit isn't going to fly here. Sorry. If you need to take gratuitous shots at URI students, do it on your facebook page.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Gil showed some glimpses tonight. Munford still horrible from 3 but otherwise good game. Nice 2nd half by EC
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Guessing 18 will b line tempted!
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Just being able to compete with them and keep it respectable will be enough to give the team some momentum. I'm guessing we will be 18 point dogs.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

EC needs to be on the floor as much as his legs allow. powell should play in the last 5 mins of the first half, and middle 5 in the second.

You need to minimize the amount of time he has so you get the benefit of the spot 3 he'll put up without the 4 more he'll take unwarranted.

I bet the team is tired of starting in a hole before dan decides something is going to be different than all the games he's played for the past 2 and a half years.

X is starting to shake the rust a bit though.

Agreed that this was the 2nd best team we've played so far. They should be playing in D1. That being said they're still D2....and if we want to have the expectations of 20 wins like most of us do...we can't be doing that.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'll take it.
Weird watching the Pats and listening to the game.
Hope the Pats come back, like we did.
How about that Biggie Minnis?Took McCaron out of the game in the second half.
Big 3 by Powell, steady D by TJ.
Our guards saved us tonight.
If Gil could stay in a game, he could be as advertised.
Matthews is so smooth, ad so good.
X was there in clutch time, even though his shooting wasn't back.
One to tomorrow against the monster.
Oh, and this game does count on our record.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I like Biggie. I really like that he can knock down a open 3 with no pressure. All you can ask for.

Mp?? maybe starting isn't his role, i'm sure he can figure out a role coming off the bench with timely play. Hope he is just focused on winning.

All these kids don't have to play every minute, no reason to transfer when you have a year to go to graduate.

Get in the ice tub!!!! Arizona tmrw! Hopefully they take us lightly and we come out in full form!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rhody won 66-63 ?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Minnis definitely opened my eyes tonight, and if he is capable of that night-in and night-out he has to get a lot of the point minutes. I do still think there is a role for both of those guys on this team, but that was easily the best game by a URI PG so far this season.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Told you minnis was the real deal. My heart was pounding lol go rams
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Biruta came up huge in the clutch. First spark from him all season - here's hoping he can build on it.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I chickened out and couldn't watch the stream in the second half. I did follow the game on Twitter though. Dan was right to be nervous about this game, so I'm glad we squeaked out a win. I wouldn't be surprised to see Biggie start tomorrow night.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

That was a great win, we needed a game like that. Dont be fooled by the D2 tag, MSU is a great team. I expect us to show up well for the Arizona game.

EC continues to impress me, he has a great understanding amd awareness on the court. He plays like an upperclassman, not a true freshman. He is handling pressure increasingly well and he's clearly our most naturally talented player.

I think if we can get X going and solid contributions from Gil amd Iffy, we'll have a good game against Arizona.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

So glad tomorrow's game is on tv. (I say that now). Listening to Steve is brutal.
Looks like Gil and "O" won't spend a lot of time together on the floor this year. Too foul prone. We're really thin up front. Hate to say it, but, we're going to miss Hare.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:it's not relentlessly going after a kid if people are just observing him playing like garbage. mike's probably a good kid. but he's getting paid a shit load more than i got to go to school - at as someone who donates and pays money to watch this team, i think the criticism is completely fair game.

to my next point...have we got to the point where we can just decide to start EC and not go into a hole early? wouldn't it be nice to see what playing with a lead is like?

that being said it really doesnt matter what lineup we put out tomorrow...its gonna be a blood bath.
Criticism is fine. What isn't fine is for someone to fixate on a kid and make his presence here almost entirely about criticizing that kid. And your credibility to criticize someone's game is greatly reduced after you have made personal attacks about a kid's character previously. That shit isn't going to fly here. Sorry. If you need to take gratuitous shots at URI students, do it on your facebook page.
The problem is, you may not know it, but I'm a reasonable guy. There's no need to act like the guy in your icon, all hard and threatening to bring in the paddy wagon to make your point.

Tell me what you want, and if it is reasonable and makes sense, I will comply.

Instead, you like to come in guns blazing and make everything personal. It's not necessary. I'm a sarcastic jerk, I get it. That's who I am, I'm a RIer, 4th gen. But I do have a college education, we can hold a conversation together.

I'm not actually here to pick on people. I say things that irritate people, it's true, but in the same way that KMac's "Hurley is shaking in his boots" comment irritates people. It's not Rah Rah, but it's not false either.

I will cool it with the MP comments. I think DH has plenty if info to make an informed decision on that score anyway.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thanks again my forum friends for the video feed, really enjoyed that.

I actually like college student feeds, that one was pretty good, kudos and thanks to Metro State.

Good luck to them going forward, solid club should rake in D2.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Biggie has really helped us calm down a little on the point guard question. Now just start EC with Xavier.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

The thing that really brought us back into that game was tempo, we played the game at our pace in the second half and came away with the w. In the first half we were at warp speed with no rhythm which let to rushed shots and getting in the air before passing which is why we had so many turnovers. Heres to hoping we play at our pace for the remainder of the season.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

So for the record, this doesn't count for our record?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i'm in on the Minnis, Mathews, Munford, Gil, and O starting with Reischel first off the bench (no offense to him just odd man out)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man wrote:EC needs to be on the floor as much as his legs allow. powell should play in the last 5 mins of the first half, and middle 5 in the second.

You need to minimize the amount of time he has so you get the benefit of the spot 3 he'll put up without the 4 more he'll take unwarranted.

I bet the team is tired of starting in a hole before dan decides something is going to be different than all the games he's played for the past 2 and a half years.

X is starting to shake the rust a bit though.

Agreed that this was the 2nd best team we've played so far. They should be playing in D1. That being said they're still D2....and if we want to have the expectations of 20 wins like most of us do...we can't be doing that.
I said I wouldn't make any more comments, but I do agree with what you wrote. Well said, that is the point: maxing the benefit while minimizing the risk.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

rhodyfan3 wrote:So for the record, this doesn't count for our record?
It counts for our record but does not count for our RPI. It does not count in their record however
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Metro has some good players no doubt.

Good to get a win, when that first half wouldn't have beaten many teams, D2 or not.

I think Dan will start the 3 amigos [Minnis, Munford, EC] tomorrow night. Need to put our best foot forward from the get-go.

Something tells me we'll hang tough in the first half. The second half, we'll see. If our front line gets in foul trouble, it could be a long night.

Arizona is bigger than most NBA teams.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Thanks twisted.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Im not jumping on the minnis train yet, he played a good game yes but his fundamentals still seem like they need improvement. Kudos to him for playing much better tonight then he has but id like to see him string together a few more games before im sold.

Starters for zona should be our best lineup which i still believe is

Ec, munford, biruta, onyekaba, reischel/ martin

I was hard on powell after last game but i have to say he had an okay game tonight did find his shot more effectively. Gotta work on his d though
Last edited by RhodeIslandBred 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, the pieces are slowly emerging one or two at a time.
We have EC, who has to start. A dream player.
Minnis looks like he's the guy Dan said he'd be.
Reischel is a good player.
Munford will get it together. Played a good game, except for the 3's.
Problems? Fouls in the frontcourt.
Oneykaba and Biruta can't stay on the floor. Aaman hustles, but he's missed a bunch of easy shots this season.
Martin will be a stud, eventually. He's has a couple of nice baskets taken away from him
in the last two games.
One of these days, they'll all be hitting on all cylinders, and we'll
have a very nice team.
Takes a while, gang. Been saying it for a long time.
Besides, we're 3-1!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

RhodeIslandBred wrote:Im not jumping on the minnis train yet, he played a good game yes but his fundamentals still seem like they need improvement. Kudos to him for playing much better tonight then he has but id like to see him string together a few more games before im sold.

We need a point, EC is good but he needs some help, my 5th starter would be Minnis with Reischel and Martin first 2 off the bench
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

our best 5 is certainly ec, X, reischel, biruta and onyekaba. martin should be your first in, then biggie.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RhodeIslandBred wrote:Im not jumping on the minnis train yet, he played a good game yes but his fundamentals still seem like they need improvement. Kudos to him for playing much better tonight then he has but id like to see him string together a few more games before im sold.

I was hard on powell after last game but i have to say he had an okay game tonight did find his shot more effectively. Gotta work on his d though
8 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover, 5 boards, 2-2 from 3. I will take that every night
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

that's a game and a half now of good ball from Biggie
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

twisted3829 wrote:

We need a point, EC is good but he needs some help, my 5th starter would be Minnis with Reischel and Martin first 2 off the bench
I see your point and i think well be searching for the true point all year, unless tp gives it to us, some pun intended. :lol: But its still yet to be proven if hes going to be the one or another who really step up to lead this team.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Put me in the camp of not being overly impressed by what I've seen from this team compared to all the pre season hype I read about. I think we have some nice pieces, but I just dont see this team being more than .500 (at best) in the A10. I've seen LaSalle, UMass, VCU, St Lou and George Mason play this year and I dont see this URI team being on par with any of these teams. This URI team (minus EC and Hassan) practiced together all of last year and had a trip to Italy to work out the kinks, play together and more importantly for Hurley to figure out players roles and rotations. This team looks like they just started practicing a week ago with the way we play on offense. Defensively, this team just cant stop anyone. Our guys routinely get beaten badly off the dribble, and we look slow on the perimeter. Like him or not, Hare is sorely missed on the defensive end of the floor. Not giving up on this team by any stretch, but my expectations have been severly altered based on the product shown so far.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rambone 78 wrote:Something tells me we'll hang tough in the first half. The second half, we'll see. If our front line gets in foul trouble, it could be a long night.

Arizona is bigger than most NBA teams.
This.

The problem tomorrow will be the typical thing that always happens when URI plays a big top ranked team. The officials will call the fouls early and often, and even if URI keeps it close, the officials will have a hand in keeping the momentum with the home team.

URI needs to play the hacking style defense that Biggie and others bring (pre-new-rule D) in order to get turnovers and opportunities and fortify the defense. The officials will try to take them out of that from the get go, and they have the new rule to back them up. So, look for foul trouble. DH will have to start the best guys on the floor and be very creative with substitutions - without outright panicking.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I feel like the guys respond well to Biggie. I like the EC, X, Big, O, Gil

Then Mike P, JR, HM,Mike A with whoever of the 3ms has least fouls/hot hand
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

The problem is, you may not know it, but I'm a reasonable guy. There's no need to act like the guy in your icon, all hard and threatening to bring in the paddy wagon to make your point.

Tell me what you want, and if it is reasonable and makes sense, I will comply.

Instead, you like to come in guns blazing and make everything personal. It's not necessary. I'm a sarcastic jerk, I get it. That's who I am, I'm a RIer, 4th gen. But I do have a college education, we can hold a conversation together.

I'm not actually here to pick on people. I say things that irritate people, it's true, but in the same way that KMac's "Hurley is shaking in his boots" comment irritates people. It's not Rah Rah, but it's not false either.

I will cool it with the MP comments. I think DH has plenty if info to make an informed decision on that score anyway.
OK, that is fine. I'm a reasonable guy, too. If I was trying to be the Elliot Ness of the message board, I would have sent you to timeout for the diva stuff. I didn't, and I never threatened to do so. Nor have I ever sent any URI fan to timeout, ever, for any reason. I have given temporary bans to two PC fans who were clearly crossing lines, and that is it.

At the same time, anyone that posts here often enough understands that I think there are certain boundaries you have to respect when you're a fan of college sports, because at the end of the day these are kids not pro athletes. They are representing what is, for a lot of us, our alma mater, and I think because of that they deserve a certain amount of deference. That doesn't mean you can't criticize. Criticizing play is part of being a fan. Obviously. I am a huge sports fan, and I criticize our teams all the time. All I ask is that we not make it personal or go after the same kid over and over in a way that is piling on. I don't think that is asking too much.

Please keep posting, just try to treat Mike the same way you treat all of the other players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah Rod, right now there will be stretches like the 1st half of the last 2 games, where we want to tear our hair out, and then there will be times that we look like the 20 win team most predicted for this season.

Growing pains for sure. Some of the guys are making some nice progress, others not so much.

Looks like we're going to get the shaky train for a while, but things are looking up overall.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I will, TP.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Minus Munford team shot 70 percent from 3. That's a very nice development
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

exactly Iggy. we win games with PG play like that. everyone needs to stop with EC at the PG, the coach has said numerous times its not happening yet. you all better hope Biggie keeps playing well. i for one would roll the dice with him, he has to get timing back but physically he has the tools esp if he can shoot it like that consistently. EC is much more valuable as a scorer. we need 12-15 points from him every night.

and the transfers didnt practice with X, Mike, TJ or Mike last year, they practiced against them as the second team. its not the same thing. on court chemistry comes from in game repetition and situational experience, we arent there yet.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Two games in a row of thoroughly unimpressive first halves, followed by almost-great second halves. Will need two "second" halves to stay in the Arizona game, and even that may not be enough to keep it really close.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

twisted3829 wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:So for the record, this doesn't count for our record?
It counts for our record but does not count for our RPI. It does not count in their record however
Like it matters, the tournament selection committee does not include wins over D2 teams.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Shinze88 wrote:Put me in the camp of not being overly impressed by what I've seen from this team compared to all the pre season hype I read about. I think we have some nice pieces, but I just dont see this team being more than .500 (at best) in the A10. I've seen LaSalle, UMass, VCU, St Lou and George Mason play this year and I dont see this URI team being on par with any of these teams. This URI team (minus EC and Hassan) practiced together all of last year and had a trip to Italy to work out the kinks, play together and more importantly for Hurley to figure out players roles and rotations. This team looks like they just started practicing a week ago with the way we play on offense. Defensively, this team just cant stop anyone. Our guys routinely get beaten badly off the dribble, and we look slow on the perimeter. Like him or not, Hare is sorely missed on the defensive end of the floor. Not giving up on this team by any stretch, but my expectations have been severly altered based on the product shown so far.
The injuries and what they have done to Xavier and Gilvydas seem to be overlooked in your assessment, Shinze. Virtually everyone picked Xavier to be the top scorer again this year, which means he was expected to produce much more than what he's been able to provide with his foot injury.

Gilvydas is also slowed which makes him more likely to foul and miss critical minutes.

Let's see how the team plays when these significant injuries fade away.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't think we're ready by any stretch of the imagination, to hang with Arizona for an entire game. I would like to see some good play though. Maybe later in the season we could give them a game.

Anyway, the OOC schedule is shaping up pretty well, we'll have an easy one against UMass-Lowell [really!] and then 2 very winnable games at Ryan to finish up the NIT. Then the fun begins.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm just hoping the officials don't make the game unwatchable, like that NCAA game against UNC back in the 90's.

Yes, we know they are big and awesome. The officials have the tendency to rub the inferior team's nose in it, though. Just call it evenly, or a reasonable facsimile of, and they'll be no complaints.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Just as I suspected, we won going away!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, patience.
Anyone who expected this team to just steamroll opponents from day one.
doesn't know basketball.
Temple under Chaney always got off to .500 starts and gained momentum over the season,
so that by tournament time, they were ready.
For any team with seven new players, and losing a player, this is to be expected.
Part of the problem this year, so far, has been not having the team Dan
wants on the floor, due to foul problems.
I think all the negativity, even after wins, is a bit much.
I'll join you in going nuts over the SMU debacle, but bitching about wins?
Take a breath and try to get the big picture.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Again, patience.
Anyone who expected this team to just steamroll opponents from day one.
doesn't know basketball.
Temple under Chaney always got off to .500 starts and gained momentum over the season,
so that by tournament time, they were ready.
For any team with seven new players, and losing a player, this is to be expected.
Part of the problem this year, so far, has been not having the team Dan
wants on the floor, due to foul problems.
I think all the negativity, even after wins, is a bit much.
I'll join you in going nuts over the SMU debacle, but bitching about wins?
Take a breath and try to get the big picture.
Dead on Rod...I feel like there is alot of overreaction to every game so far this season.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is a kinder, gentler Rod right here.

I'm still listening to Christmas classics on B101. It feels festive indeed.
0 x