Game #2 - @ SMU - November 11th @ 8:00pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #2 - @ SMU - November 11th @ 8:00pm

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

You underestimate the 17 year old Hassan Martin.
I guarantee you, he WILL be special.
There are a bunch of PGs on the recruiting site for 2015, that we've
allegedly offered.
2015 is a crucial recruiting cycle for the program.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BB, wow, you're even tougher than I am about these kid's BB ability.

EC will be special. Martin will be in time also. The Big O will be fine. Biruta? He's better than what he's shown, by far. I expect him to play better soon as long as his ankle lets him.

After that, not so sure. Reischel is a good role player between the 2 and 3. X is better than he's shown too, but streaky. He will have some big games for us later this season. TJ and Minnis's strengths are negated by the new foul rules. They won't play much going forward, unfortunately.

Powell will be EC's backup. When his shot is on, he's an asset, but defensively he's not.

The rest? Meh. Overall, a team with bright spots, but too many holes as of now.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

rambone 78 wrote:BB, wow, you're even tougher than I am about these kid's BB ability.

EC will be special. Martin will be in time also. The Big O will be fine. Biruta? He's better than what he's shown, by far. I expect him to play better soon as long as his ankle lets him.

After that, not so sure. Reischel is a good role player between the 2 and 3. X is better than he's shown too, but streaky. He will have some big games for us later this season. TJ and Minnis's strengths are negated by the new foul rules. They won't play much going forward, unfortunately.

Powell will be EC's backup. When his shot is on, he's an asset, but defensively he's not.

The rest? Meh. Overall, a team with bright spots, but too many holes as of now.
Spot on, I couldn't sum up my assessment much better.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

I posted this after the Maine game and it still holds true in my opinion after the SMU game;

Impressions - too many fouls(75) too many missed layups,too many turnovers,Ec and hassan must play more.The fast pace was what I thought we would get last year.I think this was a good first effort. They are going to surprise a lot of people. Better crowd than I expected.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You know, it's nice to have another body to help cover URI Basketball like this guy.

OTOH, it's just more of the same like we are used to, like Steve McDonald and Don Kaull. Instead of a Jerry D and Jim Baron apologist, he's Hurley's guy.

Love the enthusiasm, the insight, the knowledge, etc.

If you are looking for someone who doesn't have a vested interest or who doesn't come complete with a slant however...

Like someone asked him if Hurley should shake up the lineup and implied they should start EC over Powell and he practically gasped.

Yeah, o-kay, whatever. You have to be blind not to see that Powell is a liability when he's out there.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And THAT is why we have our msg board.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Their is a chance for a game like this to be a seminal moment in an eventually positive season. It's happened many many times before. Check history, good to great teams at the end of the season have looked in complete disarray at the beginning of the season and had games similar to ours. It remains to be seen whether DH can use the atrocity of yesterday to quickly address/fix some issues. Unfortunately not sure their is much he can do for our biggest issue, what to do at PG.

Agree with other posters, first 10-15 minutes we were playing solid. Biruta and Iffy established position down low, Gil hit a couple baby hooks, Iffy missed a few bunnies but was in the mix. However from there our offense completely stagnated with awful PG play and ZERO perimeter scoring, and apparently defense was left back in Kingston. I can't see the latter happening to that extent ever again this season. What happens at PG likely determines our fate....call your brother, coach?!?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn't look to much into the blowout at SMU, its only 1 loss and a wakeup call for sure, I am still optimistic
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

FIRE HURLEY!
0 x