Game #1 - Maine - November 8th @ 7:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Game #1 - Maine - November 8th @ 7:30pm

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Reischel and Iffy definitely were the stars tonight, Martin was a good addition off the bench, EC also had some impressive drives. Biggie struggled tonight especially on defense making some dumb fouls and some bad turnovers
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

OK, now that's more like it.....when was the last time the needle was pointing so much up for a season??.....we did what we wanted, stepped on the lesser opponent, both ends of floor, Onykeaba is going to be something real positive, nice numbers for many players with not great amounts of PT....HITS; everything for this Rhody, things really looking up...MISSES; none.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Regardless of who we are playing it's still impressive to score nearly 100 when Gil only gave us 4 and X with 11. I still expect both of them to be our leading scorers this year. I just hope Gil was quiet today because of rust rather than lingering problems with his ankle. Agreed the defense has to improve. Still gave Maine way too many wide open 3's. A better team knocks those down. All in all was still very impressed with how things are coming together and a solid first game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Need to shoot FT's better [they did in the 2nd half] but 40+ attempts? Biruta's obviously not 100%, but it's great he's OK.

The Big O is going to be a beast, simple as that. Now I can see why Hare was getting his ass kicked in practice! Reishel is the real deal too. Agree on Hassan and EC, by mid season watch out.

Minnis? Not the real deal. Where's the defense that was advertised?

Overall, a good first game. I know giving up 77 to Maine is a lot, but they got garbage time points late. If they can pick up the D, this team will be a force to be reckoned with by league play.

Next year, add a shooter and another wing, and this is an NCAA tourney team. Our top 5 players [Biruta, O, Hassan, EC, and Reischel] will be as good as anybody's in the A10.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

If that was 5410 attendance, then we are in good shape this season.

Students were there in good numbers for a Friday night against a nobody team.

My in-game estimate was 4700, which may have been closer to the number of beating hearts.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder who the last URI player was to have 8 offensive rebounds in a game?
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
adam914 wrote:Bill Murray in the house!

Confirmed. 105 Row A center Rhody bench. Awesome!

I must have been 15 feet from him. Haven't been that close to greatness since I helped carry Bruce Springsteen on one of his crowd surfing trips.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RPI of 48! Keep it going!! :)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ATP, good one. Haha. Let's see us end the season there [or better]

Seriously, going to be some bumps in the road coming up, but this team should take care of business against the teams they're supposed to in the OOC schedule.

SMU, Metro State, Arizona. Anybody care to guess, based on where this team is now, how many of those we'll win? If our perimeter defense improves, maybe one or two?

One's thing's for sure, there won't be many teams that will dominate us inside!
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Impressions - too many fouls(75) too many missed layups,too many turnovers,Ec and hassan must play more.The fast pace was what I thought we would get last year.I think this was a good first effort. They are going to surprise a lot of people. Better crowd than I expected.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think we are going to need a third PG. Powell and Minnis are commiting lots of fouls, I can see situations where they both get in foul trouble. Minnis in particular seems to be struggling. Either EC or TJ may have to step up. I think both of them played a litle point tonight, with X helping against the press. O was a beast. Reishel was all over the court, making plays on both ends, he looks like our glue guy. Martin and EC will be awesome in the running game if we can get it going.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Nice student turnout. Agree with most of what was written. I though Aaman had a tough offensive night. The 4 shots he missed were all good attempts that rimmed out or just missed. Biruta looked okay physically, but offensively he just didn't get it going. Biggie was the biggest disappointment. I don't know if it's still rust, struggling to adjust to the new hand check rules or nervousness. He did not look comfortable out there. Team looks more efficient with Powell at the point; he's got to limit his fouls.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I will give Biggie a break because of this:

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just got home.
Had a great time, and enjoyed the game and talking to so many
real Ram followers.
OK, I'm going to go on record as saying Oneykaba will be the best rebounder we've had since ARD.
He plays within himself, doesn't stray from near the basket, and gets the job done. Whoever said he was very raw,
yes, raw like a rare ribeye. Jordan who?
Loved Reischel. He does it all. Look forward to seeing more of him.
Powell looked good. Ran the club much better than Minnis, who just didn't show much.
Hopefully, it's just rust. He did get 7 rebounds an 5 assisits, though. Built like a linebacker.
Martin is exactly what I'd hoped he'd be. Very aggressive, gets great position, and plays a very
mature game for a 17 year old. He's a bona fide stud.
Ditto for EC Matthews. Whoever said he couldn't run the club, is wrong.
He's confident with the ball, and made some nifty passes. A couple of amazing drives, too.
Munford's foot is hurt, but he'll be there when we need him. He looks like our only
home run hitter.
Biruta looked nervous, and I guess he's still injured. He gets a pass, because of it.
Butler came in late and had a couple of air balls.
Overall, a very entertaining team that needs to work on its free throw shooting.
This is going to be so different than last year.
Lots of weapons, lots of combinations possible. The only weakness besides free throw shooting
seems like a lack of outside shooting.
We'll see a lot of zones, if this is the case.
I hate the new foul rules. Slows down the game.
Love my seats! Got a good view of Bill Murray.
A fun time and a great opener.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Got about 20 decent pics ready to go from tonight.....will try to get em up tomorrow.....

Good show, deep team....strong, fast and big.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Not quite sure why I can't get the test pic to imbed....no problem doing it last year...

Outta time nite nite....any one can link me to the tutorial on how to imbed pics in this forum appreciate it....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

xx another test pic fail

oh well one to click on above anyway I guess...circus hoop of the night.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like our team, I may like Bill Murray's support for his son more!

Iffy! Biggie will break through! Good things! Go RHODY!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ProJo not going the pool reporter route... at least not this time. And they got one of their better writers to cover the game.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... -a-win.ece
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As I sat in my seat watching this game, I had plenty of time to think about what I was watching.

The new fouling rules have fundamentally changed the game and this means we need to
change the way we evaluate the players that we are watching.
- There will be more easy baskets once a defender is beaten.
- Free throw shooting accuracy will be a more important skill.
- Bench depth will be more important because tired players reach on defense and will foul.
- Off the ball shot blockers such as Hare will be more valuable.
- Physical players such as Minnis will not have much success.
- Media will have to allow 2.5 hours for games. Airtime is money for CBB.
- Big guys clogging the lane is an anachronism.
- Scoring skill will be more important.
- Quickness will be more important than size.
- Easier inside scoring will mean less three point shooting.
- Average team scoring will rise 10+ points from 67 in 2012/13.
- Coaches who adapt more quickly will have early success.
-
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think zone teams will benefit the most from these rule changes which is a shame. What I liked best about college ball was that there are teams good at zone and some that are good at man D and it was always fun to see those matchups.

I don't see scoring going up if more teams play more zone. There just aren't as many pure shooters in the college game as there used to be. As an aside imagine Jimmy Baron playing in these new rules. He would have been unstoppable because he wouldn't have to worry about a hand check coming off a curl.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Worried about point guard play, Powell's the only one that looks like a point guard right now and hand check fouls could be an issue with him. EC ran the point somewhat in garbage time, I can definitely see Hurley's hesitancy but I still think he looked more the part than Biggie. Obviously, its only one game.
0 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

New to the blog thing.
So my thought was the second half was a closer contest, think 3 points, and looks like making free throws has become even more important.
Love a win to start the season.
Go Rhody
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

That was much better... Some poor FT shooting and unforced turnovers, but best offensive movement of the ball in years More easy baskets in the paint last night than all last year.. 2 Freshman are fun to watch. E C will be fine at the point. Hassan could be real special. Still would like to see Hare return to add some depth. Improved FT shooting a must. Outside shooting is still the big worry especially against a zone. Still need more bodies in the seats and more noise. Ryan Center could be rocking soon.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I thought it was a good opening game. Plenty of work to do in terms of defense and free throw shooting. As everyone has said we'll have to capitalize on the free throws this year. I don't think anyone had a bad night, and Oneykaba and Reischel played exceptionally well. One thing I loved was the confidence that the freshman seemed to play with. Besides Butler who seemed to be nervous, EC and Hassan looked comfortable out there. I loved that spin move on the baseline while driving to the net by EC! I'm excited to see how this team develops.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Free throw shooting improved in the second half, most notably from Onyekaba (4-5). As a team, they went 15-19 with one of those misses from Kemp. Onyekaba and Minnis struggled in the first half. I'm not going to worry about Martin's 5-8, and everyone else was fine.

I thought the point guard play took a step forward- a small one, for sure, but better. Powell's 4 fouls in 17 minutes are a problem (Minnis had 2 in 19), and he'll have to adjust. Otherwise, he made some decent decisions last night. If he can't adjust his defensive play, it forces the coach's hand a bit. As for Minnis- I get the feeling that the staff still doesn't think he's playing his game the way that they know he can yet. There were glimpses of what he can do with distributing the ball in some of his 5 assists last night. I don't remember each of his 3 turnovers, but one was on an attempted no-look pass that was a really poor decision, and it was addressed almost immediately by the staff. Both guys obviously get that there's a competition for minutes at the point right now- each guy needs to do what he does well and stay within himself (sports cliche but true). Powell can bring some experience to the role, Minnis can bring physical play by breaking down defenses and distributing.

But overall, it was a fun game. They were in charge from start to finish, and I love a game where walk-ons get to play.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

A few more from front row section 302

Last edited by hrstrat57 10 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

My favorites from hrstrat57

Last edited by ace 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Here's my takes if anyone cares

Iffy - all I kept thinking was Antonio Reynold's Dean...to step in your first game and play like that was amazing. He really made a huge impact with his rebounding. Plus the throw it hard as the front of the rim and watch it roll in free throw technique reminded me a lot of myself. All kidding aside, he is worth getting excited about.

Reiselle - ...good lord he looks like a player. He is really a 6'7" guy who could easily play the 2, 3, 4. I really wasn't expecting as much from most of the transfers as a lot of you but watching him last night and watching Xaviers first game last year, Hurley knows exactly who these guys are and what kind of players they are. He looked like he can do it all, dribble, shoot, rebound, defend.

Powell - very solid, he is going to be a big senior leader next year on a possible special NCAA team.

EC - dribbling looked a little shaky but those natural moves to the basket looked very exciting. He just seems like a player you like for some reason the second he gets on the court. Missed a 3 and one of his teamates rebounded and knocked it out off a Maine player and he sprinted over to help him up. He also looks like one of those players (it was my first time ever watching him) who can turn the 6 points he had last night into 20 pretty easily. Just seems like he knows how to put the ball in the basket.

Hassan - another exciting first game. He looks like a natural player...and less of a "project" that some on this board love (sorry my last cheap shot). He is going to be a player.

Xavier and Gil - encouraging we scored 97 and they just made up 1/10th of it (check my math I don't have a PC education)

The walk on's shots per minute were where I would like them to be...never dribble out the clock...I liked it...ice those shooting arms this am.
Last edited by 15 Year Lurker 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Does anyone know if coxsportsonline archives these games and make them available online? Assuming since this was a free feed of the game they would make it available on the webiste - no luck finding it. Would love to watch this game. Any ideas?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody72 wrote:As I sat in my seat watching this game, I had plenty of time to think about what I was watching.

The new fouling rules have fundamentally changed the game and this means we need to
- Bench depth will be more important because tired players reach on defense and will foul.
-
Excellent post
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ace wrote:My favorites from hrstrat57

Thanks Ace still no idea why tho don't imbed immediately the one I posted last nite was imbedded this morning.

New lights are great for photos, I shot ISO 640 or 800 F 2.8 200mm tele and got plenty of shutter....if you have a fast lens or a high ISO capable camera you can get much better pics in the RC now. I think I set the WB at 3700 I can check if anyone needs to know.....all my pics here are straight out of camera, no cropping no software applied yet. Any one needs clarity regarding the subject of the pic lemme know as well....

Have about 10 more uploaded will add later to this post with an edit!

Nice turnout by students btw, alumni and community need to do a better job. Friday nite HS football still going and other Friday nite choices I am sure kept folks away.

$13 were I sat is still a pretty nice deal....

Ok edit for a few more:

Couple coaching shots....

- - - - - - - -

Last edited by hrstrat57 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

And more:

and bigger screen shot for 1 of our franchise freshman:

This one is on my desktop!! Thanks to ATPTOUR for explaining how to have pics show up..... should all be fixed now!
Last edited by hrstrat57 10 years ago, edited 12 times in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote:As I sat in my seat watching this game, I had plenty of time to think about what I was watching.

-
This is so spot on I was thinking the very same thing almost exactly watching the game.
My wife was complaining about all the drives to the rack, I didn't explain it to her...think I will show her your post here....well done.

I was also thinking sitting in our beautiful on campus venue how lucky we are compared to our D1 hoops competition in RI. PC, Bryant and Brown have nothing even remotely close....the RC is really a great venue.

Lights floor and PA all upgraded place looks even better now....we need a new video board tho, wonder how much $$ one of those costs. Our little 2002 video boards have become sooo dated.

Let's pack the place and support our team!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, ONE complaint.
Whoever is operating the scoreboard, isn't exactly in mid season form.
All night long, the scoreboard was inaccurate. Giving points to the wrong players,
not having the players on the floor showing on the scoreboard.
A minor thing, but annoying.
I thought we were getting those streaming lights around the arena this year?
No lights dimmed for the introduction, either. I thought that was in the cards for this season, too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:OK, ONE complaint.
Whoever is operating the scoreboard, isn't exactly in mid season form.
All night long, the scoreboard was inaccurate. Giving points to the wrong players,
not having the players on the floor showing on the scoreboard.
A minor thing, but annoying.
I thought we were getting those streaming lights around the arena this year?
No lights dimmed for the introduction, either. I thought that was in the cards for this season, too.
Someone said they were waiting for a big game to introduce the dimming, etc., most likely on Dec. 5th.
0 x
uri78
Jim Eitner

Unread post by uri78 »

RodfromCranston's analysis was right on point. Some more thoughts:

--Nice to have a big, physical front line. Iffy is a beast. Attacks the boards. Good foot work inside and can run the floor.
--Reischelle was the biggest surprise. He's a productive offensive player who can penetrate and get to the basket.
--Very impressed with Hassan Martin. He's a more athletic version of Lamonte Ullmer.
--Rebounding was strong; no second chance points, which plagued us last year.
--Gil looked tentative; probably the ankle is still sore.
--EC is going to be a top player soon.
--Didn't like the defense. Love Powell's offensive game and floor leadership, but he's still a subpar defender. We got beat off the dribble way too much and that's going to be a problem in A10 games unless the defense improves.
--All in all, a strong win and we took care of business.

Go Rhody!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

- As I mentioned to ATP at halftime, Iffy is my guy on this team now. I had to wait to see them play before I picked one, but it only took about 2 minutes for me to fall in love. Saw someone else made the ARD comp; my father said the same thing to me last night.

- I know it's only one game, but everyone that assumed/declared that Biggie would/should start over Mike P looks crazy. I thought Mike looked good. It appeared he has worked on his shooting and he was in command of the ball and the offense more than anyone else by a fairly large degree. On the other hand, I couldn't have been more underwhelmed by Biggie. He definitely looks the part, but my first impression is that he's one of those guys who you'll never trust when he has the ball - very shaky handle and suspect decision making. Didn't see him do much to redeem it on the other end, either, despite his billing as a defensive specialist.

- Jarelle looks much better than I'd anticipated. He's been the forgotten man a little bit, but he's going to be a very valuable cog on this team.

- They really, really need to turn the PA down to about half of what it was last night. We literally could not hear the person next to us talking. We like to talk basketball during stoppages, but couldn't because we had to pause the conversation whenever anyone was talking on the PA, and with the constant stream of promotions and gimmicky nonsense we spent more time paused than talking. I get they have to do the promotions, but if they turned the volume to a reasonable level it would be easier to deal with. Not very fan friendly to make it so people can't even talk to each other at the game.

- I also agree with Rod on the scoreboard. How hard is it to have the right players in the game and attribute scoring plays to the right guys?

- Good that everyone else in the crowd that stayed to the end was rooting for 100. I wasn't sure if we were the only ones until everyone stood ready to go crazy when the walk-on took the three from the corner at the end. Even though we didn't hit the century mark, scoring 97 was great to see after the grind-it-out approach we were forced to play with last year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rod, new center hung scoreboard and LED "ribbon" around the arena are projects for next season. The school is already working with the company who won the bid to design and build these major enhancements.

As was mentioned also above, they are saving the lights-out introduction for a "big game" in December. Guess which one!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

We used to be "the horror...the horror..."
Now it's, "smells like...victory."

Sorry, brando and hopper are in my head for some reason.

Minor point: dh did not look pleased that he was being ignored when he told the kids to hold the ball in the last minute.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:We used to be "the horror...the horror..."
Now it's, "smells like...victory."

Sorry, brando and hopper are in my head for some reason.

Minor point: dh did not look pleased that he was being ignored when he told the kids to hold the ball in the last minute.
That was when the walk-ons were playing, right? Ahhh, c'mon Dan, let 'em play!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with TP on the volume. My daughter said she felt like she'd
gone deaf after a while.
No need for full blast screaming.
Looks like Dan got a new tailor. Nice suit. Sometimes he looks like an
unmade bed.
Preston looked like an expectant father, showing his newest recruit around.
Guess Dan wasn't kidding when he said,
"People don't know how good Reischel is." Maybe we should go with
his equal praise of Minnis, and see how things play out.
Four fouls on Powell in 19 minutes means there's a need for more than one PG.
TJ is NOT a PG. Never was. Not sure what TJ's role on this team will be,
but that'll work itself out, as the year goes on.
X will be my favorite until he leaves, but finding another favorite is like
trying to pick the winner of the Ms. Hooters bikini contest. Lots to choose from,
and all good ones.
If staff can come up with X's replacement, next year's team will be a real powerhouse.
Everyone with a full year together and a full year of game experience.
Onyekaba 21 points 10 rebs. in HALF a game! Martin 15 points in 13 minutes!
Matthews, and his magic driving to the hoop. Plus we didn't see the real Biruta.
Can't wait until next Friday!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Something to note: when both Powell and Minnis were out of the game, the Rams had Matthews, Buchanan, and Munford on the floor as their three guards. TJ ran the point, so looks like E.C. will continue to play off the ball for the time being.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I must've been sleeping. Never saw TJ at the point.
He may have brought the ball up once, but sure wasn't the PG.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'll say it was a good overall game except shooting. Beyond the arc was 19% and field goals were a alright 50%. Free throws were a problem at 67%, everyone was hoping for a 100 point game and we would easily of had it with better free throw shooting , which with the new rules will force teams to leave or die at the line. Anyways GREAT ball movement especially in the paint. That was all three of my wishes to the college basketball genie. Defense improved, forced bad shots but need to control penetration. Everyone got involved which is more than you can ask for. So excited for the season
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is the scoreboard a hardware issue? or a function of human error?

The fanciest up to date scoreboard will still infuriate me if the person in charge of it doesn't do their job well.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here's what Kojo Uehara had to say about last night's game:
KOJI UEHARA ‏@TeamUehara 1h
仕方ない…(^^;;RT @4213464967897: 写真、優勝の瞬間ですね(*^_^*)あれだけ活躍したのに報道少なすぎ!!年俸も少なすぎ!!リリーフだからタイトルも特に無しでなんだか複雑な気分です… RT @TeamUehara:みなさん、おはようございます、だぁ~!
0 x