Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status?

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Keaney.Blue wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Oh, and Oneykaba got 12 rebounds and 10 points vs. Manhattan,
in a scrimmage against a real D-1 opponent.
Upside is a fantasy in many cases. It's what you think a player can be, not what he will be.
Aaman is a worker, a grinder, and a kid with some actual low post moves. Plus, he
has fire.
I'll take than over an underachiever any day.
Rod I find it hard to believe anyone would pick Aaman over Hare. We as fans instinctively start looking to the bad sides of players once they leave and start hyping up our guys (Aaman and Iffy).Yes Aaman is a hard worker but his ceiling is so much lower than Hare's. Even without work ethic, Hare can be a better player long term than Mike. Length, athleticism, feel for the game are all superior. Mike will be a great asset for us as a roleplayer, but he'll never reach the potential Jordan has.
Don't even bother. The games in Italy were against good comp, or at least fairly equal comp as they weren't blowouts. Hare started two and played very well. So, that's actual production. He was only a freshman last year. It's not like there isn't a million examples of kids making a leap from potential from their frosh to soph years, especially in light of the summer trip. It's sad that some besmirch the kid on the way out. Again, Aaman over Hare in any context is just sour grapes. Quoting Red Auerbach to prove a point? Snoooooooooozzzze. Old red would have taken Aaman over Hare? Good one. Without a doubt, he would make this team better, in any role.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yeah, what the hell did Red Auerbach know compared to you? Right?
Amazing!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I just said Akeem was one of the best in the country from his #s posted on that link in the "where are they now" thread. I don't follow him, nor do I care. Just saying guys don't seem to be struggling away from our program.

I am always on our side for sure.

Usually on Rod's side, but I don't understand how you can quote Red on a situation where he can't say anything?

I think most people get that Jordan was a freshman and was receiving the benefit of the doubt from most of us on this board.

To say that everyone else on the team is better than him when we were all excited to see if he got better is sour to me.

Hopefully O is better than Hare, that would be good. Kids like Hare are special with the height and athletic ability.

Maybe he comes back ??? I mean guys held out for way too long that Holton was going to come back, even after a serious event.

I would guess the door is still open for Hare. I just don't understand how a basketball player with dreams of the NBA, takes this season off when he has the thing about to start. No time like the present.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Auerbach quote was about potential vs. the reality of hard working results.
I think the Red Sox showed, it's better to have the right players,
who fit together, than the big POTENTIAL superstars, who they dumped
on LA.
Again, I want the players who want to be here. Hare isn't one of them.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

From sources who were witnesses on the Italian trip, the competition was not that great as the teams were all stars who were assembled just for the NCAA tour. Both St. Joe's and Clemson played some of the same teams that URI played and all the games ended up as routs. Some people were not impressed with Hare's play and neither were the Italian observers as we read on this very board.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A player earns one point for staying in school and one for being eligible, so Hare cold cost the school one or two points. If URI dips below a certain score, they are sent a warning letter. The next year they could lose scholarships. THe third year they could b banned from post season.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In the Baron years this would be a crippling loss because a PF would have to be moved to center. Hurley had three bigs on the roster so while I liked his potential the team will be fine.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ok, hopefully APR works itself out and we can continue being excited about this year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I just said Akeem was one of the best in the country from his #s posted on that link in the "where are they now" thread. I don't follow him, nor do I care. Just saying guys don't seem to be struggling away from our program.
Most of the guys from the Baron era that left went on to stink elsewhere. Richmond is an exception but he's the same player he was, why would we expect he would leave and be worse? Good programs get and lose good players. Should we recruit more Blake Vedders just so we can say no big loss when they leave?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

rodfromcranston wrote:Oh, and Oneykaba got 12 rebounds and 10 points vs. Manhattan,
in a scrimmage against a real D-1 opponent.
Upside is a fantasy in many cases. It's what you think a player can be, not what he will be.
Aaman is a worker, a grinder, and a kid with some actual low post moves. Plus, he
has fire.
I'll take than over an underachiever any day.
Did we at least win the scrimmage? Any other info on players production in the scrimmage?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Disappointing, I was expecting a decent jump in his game and growth from year 1 to year 2.......gives others more PT to grow in to the DH system over the early season......in short due time it will become Jordon who??.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Martin had 12 points and Reischel played well.
Dan said, if he knew how good Martin was going to be, he
wouldn't have recruited some of the players he offered.
He said he can plug him in at the 3 or 4, and get results.
Also, "people just don't know how good Reischel is."
Don't know who won, but Dan was satisfied with what he saw.

As for Jordan Hare's fate, it remains to be seen.
Will he go somewhere and flourish, or will be be like Andre Scott, Jerry D's "one and done" top 100
guy, who was one and done, and never played anywhere else but juco ball?
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Let's be honest.... this news sucks. It would have been nice to have him for depth on the roster, and it seemed like his offense was getting better to go along with the shot blocking. His overall defense still stunk last year but i thought he might have the ability to turn the corner this year.

That being said I don't think he still would have been a capable starter this year so, I wish the best for him in the future and hopefully we don't get burned with lacking depth at that spot if there are injuries.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Wow I think we are going to get really good production from both our freshmen. I expected some from E.C., but I thought Martin would need time to develop. I'm glad I was wrong. Besides the walk-ons I feel everyone we have will get playing time and be an asset on the court at one time or another.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There's a ton of flexibility up front.
You could slide Biruta over to the 5 in a pinch,
Oneykaba and Aaman the one and two 5s, with Martin and Reischel
as the 3-4s.
You can go 3 guards, with Matthews' length.
All depending on your opponent at the time.
Yes, Hare would have helped, but he's gone, so staff and fans have to make do with
what they have.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Any word on why Munford and Biruta didnt play in the scrimmage? I'm sure it was just a coach's decision type of thing, but just curious.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Gonebarongone wrote:It definitely took less time than I expected for this board to the "He wasn't any good, anyway" and "he was an academic liability" portion of our program. Aaman was better? I have my doubts that Oneykaba was beating him up in practice. Maybe he was but the last organized game played by URI he went 27 points, 10 boards. What exactly does that tell you? Boy, if you can loaf around and get that, god bless him.
I don't know the particulars, at all. But, I do know this hurts the team. Plain and simple. Can't replace that length and upside.
I don't want it to sound like sour grapes. I like Jordan and Im sure he would have been a fine player but too much of everyones points are that he has potential because he is 6'10 and athletic. There are hundreds of 6'10" athletic players across the country playing this year. I always stuck up for Jordan last year and wish him the best. I also like to think I know a thing or two about basketball and I think Mike Aaman was actually the better low post player between the two last year. Take out the fact that one of them was highly touted and is 6'10 and watch them actually play and Mike was better. Now it probably wasnt fair to have each of them out there playing as much as freshmen and Im sure they will/would get alot better but I dont think it's that crazy of me to say Aaman was better last year. Oh and for the record I thought Akeem Richmond was a big loss, Holton a big loss, Billy had to go, Dominique mccoy no loss, and Shangalia should play at Salve.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Mike Aaman is a great player. He gets a lot of what appear to be lucky bounces that fall right into his lap, but fate favors the prepared. I think luck favors the ones that hustle.

This kid brings his hard hat and his lunch pale to work everyday. He doesn't have any delusions of grandeur about the kind of player he is. The team needs players like Mike Aaman.

In short, the team needs unheralded players who do key things when you least expect it. They fill in the gaps. The glue in between. That's Mike Aaman.

I think the Red Sox showed they had a lot of players like that, in between the monster DH, the freakshow 2nd baseman, and two great starting pitchers and a lights out relief, there was a lot of glue.

And, Mike was also a frosh last year. I'm not saying his ceiling is as high as some bean pole 7 footer with athleticism, but there ought to be improvement.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

How can one say that Jordan doesn't want to be here and he won't be missed. A short time ago he was a keaneyblue board all star in the making. Now some are saying he won't be missed. He left because of problems in his family.I think most of us believe that family is more important than basketball. Basketball may be his dream but in my opinion it still falls below your children's well being. Would you want him to be a dead beat dad just to improve "our" team.
Good luck Jordan. I hope everything can work out and you will be back in Rhody soon. Your doing what is right for those that are the most important.
I'm sure that Preston and Dan understand how hard it is for a 19 year to be faced with the decisions you are making.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Who said that he won't be missed?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am ready to move on from Hare

Bye bye Jordan bye bye !!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Reef "Easy come, easy go"

That should be your tagline. haha.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

What a shame, I was as excited to see Hare's hard work pay off in games as I am excited to see Martin and Mathew's first game action and while I'd place 10 to 1 that Hare resumes his career, at some point, closer to 'home', I'd love to see him back in a Rhody uni. He seemed to be one of the guys getting major props from coaches all off season. Coaches messaged about his hard work quite frequently.

I wish Jordan the best and consider it a class move to sacrifice for ones family. Give your unconditional love to your child/children and we all have a better world for it, so thank you and best of luck Jordan.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

We're not signing free agents, all college players are recruited based on potential and guys with length and athleticism are bigger gets because they have more potential. Its why Hurley convinced Hare to keep his commitment, its why Hurley started Hare over Aaman as freshmen (except when Hare was being disciplined), its why they kept him in the program for Year 2 even though there seemed to be issues. Will Hare ever come close to reaching his potential? None of us know but I think we can still acknowledge his potential.
We all like an underachiever but I'm not ready to abandon blue-chip prospects for lunch pail guys based on this one bad experience (we had plenty hard hat guys under Baron). If there's a Hare and an Aaman in 2015, I hope we get the Hare.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Is Aaman that good? He's a hard body bruiser but I did not see too much in the way of basketball skills with him last year. Hare on the other hand, showed flashes of brilliance, and to me had a ton more potential.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was watching the Duke back to back NCAA championships program on
the NBA network.
I've seen it before, and it's one of the best college basketball documentaries I've ever seen.
Lots of Bobby Hurley.
They talked to Shaq about how his team lost to Duke at home, despite the presence of Shaq.
He said,"Great fundamentals beat athleticism every time."
If you can jump through the roof, but can box out on the boards, what good is all your "athletic" ability?
A smaller, less talented guy, who can get position wins the battle every time.
Mike Aaman is a tough, blue collar player. He shot 25% better than Hare at the FT line, and despite averaging 5 minutes less playing time per game, only had .03 less rebounds per game.
Where this "blue chip" stuff about Hare is coming from, is beyond me. Potential is a word.
Results are everything.
Let's boost the player we have, and not lament the one who left, regardless of why he left.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

URIGONZO wrote:Is Aaman that good? He's a hard body bruiser but I did not see too much in the way of basketball skills with him last year.
I think that remains to be seen. We know that most players make the most progress between freshmen and sophomore years. Hurley has mentioned Aaman's offensive progress- specifically his ability to score over either shoulder now, not just the right. Right now, though, we're in the optimistic, feel good time of college basketball's version of baseball's spring training where everyone is in the best shape of his career.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Sorry for using the word "potential" Rod. I'm not sure what other world to use describing a URI basketball player going from his Freshman to Sophomore season.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Alot of us were ridiculed last year for saying anything remotely positive about Hare and Mike Powell, weren't they our guys too?
I'm not ready to call Aaman a "great player" but I think he'll be fine, I don't think anyone is trying to put down Aaman. I'm past Hare, its more the philosophy type of player stuff being talked about that I disagree with.
By the way, who are the biggest names on Hurley's resume? Blue-collar guys like JR Smith? Potential is just a word but it is still a word that coaches want.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gonzo, every person on earth has potential.
Most never realize it. In life and sports.
You and I have seen phenoms who never do anything with their obvious abilities,
and then you have a guy like Dennis Rodman, at 6'7" come out of a D-2 school and dominate
the NBA in rebounding.
Or Dustin Pedroia, who gets more of of less than any athlete I've ever seen. Or little Danny Woodhead,
beating out guys bigger and more "athletic" than him, for years.
Sure there are guys like Lamar, who have so much talent that they can get by on just that.
Go back and look at some old Street and Smith's. Players you've never heard of
touted as the next big thing.
Shea Cotton was number two prep player behind Lamar. Where is he now?
Teams like the 2001 Pats and this years Red Sox, NC State's NCAA beating
the awesome Phi Slamma Jamma, show the power of getting the most
out of the least.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

That was very eloquent Rod, however I disagree with you that Aaman is the next Dennis Rodman.

Jordan Hare showed some real potential as an athletic frontcourt guy. Aaman is more of a bruiser, so I'm not sure you can compare the two. I think its a shame Hare is gone, and while I hope Aaman is a force down low for us, I'm more skeptical that he will develop into the full-time answer down low.

Hare may have been a very good player, maybe not. It sucks we're not going to find out while he's in a Rhody uniform.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

First off, show me where I said Aaman was another Rodman.
He is a backup center. He will play behind Oneykaba likely for his entire
career here.
Guess what? Hare would have played behind Oneykaba, too.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Gonzo, every person on earth has potential.
Most never realize it. In life and sports.
You and I have seen phenoms who never do anything with their obvious abilities,
and then you have a guy like Dennis Rodman, at 6'7" come out of a D-2 school and dominate
the NBA in rebounding.
Or Dustin Pedroia, who gets more of of less than any athlete I've ever seen. Or little Danny Woodhead,
beating out guys bigger and more "athletic" than him, for years.
Sure there are guys like Lamar, who have so much talent that they can get by on just that.
Go back and look at some old Street and Smith's. Players you've never heard of
touted as the next big thing.
Shea Cotton was number two prep player behind Lamar. Where is he now?
Teams like the 2001 Pats and this years Red Sox, NC State's NCAA beating
the awesome Phi Slamma Jamma, show the power of getting the most
out of the least.
You fall for the lazy, sportswriter cliche too easily Rod. Pedroia is a 5'7" white guy so he has to be have less talent than everyone that he makes up for with grit and a dose of David Eckstein-ium. You know what? He has elite lateral quickness, he is pretty fast, and probably has the best hand-eye coordination in the game. That's why he was an MVP. As for Hare, how about Danny not bad mouthing him on his way out? Telling grown men about how a freshman wasn't this or that, about his academics, etc while he was dealing with a family issue. Stay classy. How about earning some of your salary and helping this kid find his way?
Honestly, this thread makes me sick. He wasn't going to start anyway so good riddance! Really? Some people need a reminder this isn't pro sports but college kids (some from not the very best backgrounds, either) growing into hopefully productive adults.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Never heard anyone mention academics, outside of the APR situation, which
has been discussed in the media by Kevin McNamara and others.
Bad mouthing? What are you talking about?
When Hurley is on his show and talking to his audience, who the hell is it aimed at? The
"grown men", who support this program.Guess what? He's talking about his TEAM, which is composed
of young student athletes. How revealing! Who knew?
Get with the real world. Anyone who thinks Hurley hasn't earned every penny he's paid.
isn't watching.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Putting Hare's departure in perspective is NOT bashing him on the way out. It's a loss; how much of one is the debate.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, to those who are pragmatists and not
polyannas, there are record transfers being set every year.
So, does this mean all those coaches aren't earning their money by
coddling all these guys who've chosen to leave for whatever reason?
Pretty doubtful.
Coaches put a lot into recruiting these kids, and there is a disruption of
stability in the locker room long before they decide to leave.
It's like a co-worker on your team or group at work. If that person isn't
fully on board, and is ambivalent on whether he's staying or finding another job,
you kind of look at that person differently, because he's not "all in".
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

GBG- it seems like you're taking reported snippets of conversation with a variety of people (some not even part of the program) and attributing them to the head coach, which doesn't seem fair. As for your rant against sports cliche talk, preach on!
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I'm increasingly sure we'll see some lineups with Biruta at the 5 and either Reischel or Martin at the 4. I don't see Aaman playing more than 10 mins a game and Onyekaba has his limitations. I saw a lineup of Powell, Martin (X wasn't practicing), TJ, Martin, and Biruta.

Starting lineup in my opinion will be
Powell (EC will become starter by conf play)
X
TJ
Martin
Biruta
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GBG, I think you are mis reading this board. A sober look at the team or a specific player is always warranted and assessing the loss of Hare is an opportunity to do just that. How can you call that bashing? Losing a 6'10" player is not good, but how much it actually hurts is difficult to judge, but it does require a less emotional approach than the rant you provided.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:GBG- it seems like you're taking reported snippets of conversation with a variety of people (some not even part of the program) and attributing them to the head coach, which doesn't seem fair. As for your rant against sports cliche talk, preach on!
That's fair. I probably was. Specifically, though, I was talking about Rod's "from the horse's mouth" comment. I don't care if the coach is talking to million dollar boosters, talking specifically about a player leaving, whether it was because he was getting his ass kicked in practice or because of APR is not the right thing to do. Let me put it this way, if that was my kid they were talking about on the way out the door (and Hare is clearly having some personal issues, on top of this), I'd be pretty p*ssed. Say you can't comment and talk about the positive aspects of the program. There is a reason Rod went back and deleted it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why I deleted something is my business.
Glad you've become the judge and jury on what's right or wrong.
Rather have something from the horses mouth than the horses ass.
The horses mouth could have been teammates, coaches,administrators, ex players visiting practice,
the janitor, food vendor, or big time boosters. Whatever I regarded as credible.
You've had an anti-Hurley agenda from your first post.
This is our program and he's our coach. Period.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Keaney.Blue wrote:I'm increasingly sure we'll see some lineups with Biruta at the 5 and either Reischel or Martin at the 4. I don't see Aaman playing more than 10 mins a game and Onyekaba has his limitations. I saw a lineup of Powell, Martin (X wasn't practicing), TJ, Martin, and Biruta.
Martin covered two positions at the same time? Now that is impressive.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Why I deleted something is my business.
Glad you've become the judge and jury on what's right or wrong.
Rather have something from the horses mouth than the horses ass.
The horses mouth could have been teammates, coaches,administrators, ex players visiting practice,
the janitor, food vendor, or big time boosters. Whatever I regarded as credible.
You've had an anti-Hurley agenda from your first post.
This is our program and he's our coach. Period.
I'm sure it was the food vendor!!!! Too funny. You deleted it so Danny wouldn't be mad at you and not tell you his stories. No other reason an adult would go back and cover his tracks! Horse's mouth means one thing and one thing only. Sorry.

You are right. He is URI's coach and should not be talking out of school like that. This is not up for debate, in my mind.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is what is official

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I can't imagine that Hurley is happy with losing Hare's talent and its possible effect on the APR. His departure is a real loss to the program. I however get the feeling from reading the comments of others that Hurley was less than pleased with the overall effort given by Jordan. It seems Hare's personal issues and work ethic were a problem. Hurley will probably not miss that aspect of Jordan Hare and the distraction it was apparently becoming to the program.

As the Red Sox found out this year, more than just pure talent is needed. You need character guys that will fit into the environment and mesh with the other players and staff/manaegment. Unfortuantely for URI, this was not the case for several recuits over the last few years. A few of these players were from Michigan. Hopefully the staff is aware of the issues that developed with these players and more than talent is used as an evaluator when recruiting.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RF1 wrote:I can't imagine that Hurley is happy with losing Hare's talent and its possible effect on the APR. His departure is a real loss to the program. I however get the feeling from reading the comments of others that Hurley was less than pleased with the overall effort given by Jordan. It seems Hare's personal issues and work ethic were a problem. Hurley will probably not miss that aspect of Jordan Hare and the distraction it was apparently becoming to the program.

As the Red Sox found out this year, more than just pure talent is needed. You need character guys that will fit into the environment and mesh with the other players and staff/manaegment. Unfortuantely for URI, this was not the case for several recuits over the last few years. A few of these players were from Michigan. Hopefully the staff is aware of the issues that developed with these players and more than talent is used as an evaluator when recruiting.
Come on, really? Now its a Michigan thing. "Character guys" leave programs too. We have three on our team and oh yeah our head coach did it when he was a player. If Hare didn't buy in, fit in, want in, whatever, it happens, he can move on and we can too but now we have to change the way we recruit? The business is recruiting 14-16 year olds, asking they to commit to you as 17 year olds, then taking them away from their families, friends, and coddling AAU/prep school coaches and placing 10 times more demands on them than they've ever had in their lives. Our staff knows what they are doing but Hare will not be the last player to leave.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

5 guys for 3 positions? Plenty of PT for all! I bet we see a lot of 3 guard 2 forward play
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Is Hare that last true Baron-era recruit?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

BFC wrote:
RF1 wrote:I can't imagine that Hurley is happy with losing Hare's talent and its possible effect on the APR. His departure is a real loss to the program. I however get the feeling from reading the comments of others that Hurley was less than pleased with the overall effort given by Jordan. It seems Hare's personal issues and work ethic were a problem. Hurley will probably not miss that aspect of Jordan Hare and the distraction it was apparently becoming to the program.

Come on, really? Now its a Michigan thing. "Character guys" leave programs too. We have three on our team and oh yeah our head coach did it when he was a player. If Hare didn't buy in, fit in, want in, whatever, it happens, he can move on and we can too but now we have to change the way we recruit? The business is recruiting 14-16 year olds, asking they to commit to you as 17 year olds, then taking them away from their families, friends, and coddling AAU/prep school coaches and placing 10 times more demands on them than they've ever had in their lives. Our staff knows what they are doing but Hare will not be the last player to leave.
Exactly. Our fearless leader himself took a leave of absence from Seton Hall. And he came from a solid family atmosphere. Find out whatever baseline you need character/academic wise so you get good kids that will represent the school well and have a chance to leverage a scholarship into a successful life and then find the best talent given that baseline. Red Auerbach won because he had a dozen Hall of Famers and maybe the best to ever lace them up. The Red Sox won because they have great baseball players. Find the best talent and try to minimize the attrition by having the staff be leaders of men. And, FYI, Rod is right about one thing, this attrition is not unique to URI. It's college hoops.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BFC wrote:
RF1 wrote:Come on, really? Now its a Michigan thing. "Character guys" leave programs too. We have three on our team and oh yeah our head coach did it when he was a player. If Hare didn't buy in, fit in, want in, whatever, it happens, he can move on and we can too but now we have to change the way we recruit? The business is recruiting 14-16 year olds, asking they to commit to you as 17 year olds, then taking them away from their families, friends, and coddling AAU/prep school coaches and placing 10 times more demands on them than they've ever had in their lives. Our staff knows what they are doing but Hare will not be the last player to leave.
I am not saying it is per se a Michigan thing. I however do think that the lead recruiter for several of our players with recent issues (West, Hare) was the same person and he is still on staff. Hopefully character and fit are given more weight going forward in recruiting.
0 x