Rhode Island Releases 2013-14 Television Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Rhode Island Releases 2013-14 Television Schedule

Unread post by RF1 »

The first official game is now about 2 weeks to go yet there has been no release of the Ram TV schedule. All that is known thus far are the seven A-10 tv partner games:

PC CBSSN
St. Louis CBSSN
@GW NBCSN
George Mason NBCSN
Dayton CBSSN
@VCU CBSSN
UMass-Amherst CBSSN

Does anyone have any idea if Cox will once again do games and if so, when will the schedule be announced?

Edited to include the tweet announcement of full TV Schedule - ATP
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: TV Schedule?

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I believe Cox will continue to do games this season. No idea about when the schedule will be released though.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the TV schedule was announced on Oct. 3 last year. (http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1003in6p90) So hopefully something will be announced soon.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think Cox is delayed because with 3 national networks, the A10 national TV schedule was released later this year than previously. It has a cascade effect. Cox obviously had to wait to see which home games remained un-televised, then look into getting rights for a few away games wherever possible.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Are we talking about just TV or streaming also?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The streaming offering would coincide with home games produced by Cox, so yeah, they're related.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:I think Cox is delayed because with 3 national networks, the A10 national TV schedule was released later this year than previously. It has a cascade effect. Cox obviously had to wait to see which home games remained un-televised, then look into getting rights for a few away games wherever possible.
Great point, ATP - didn't realize that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cant wait to watch that PC game !!!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

3 more games added to the SNY channel that calls Uconn home for the people who get that channel.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:3 more games added to the SNY channel that calls Uconn home for the people who get that channel.
Really? Which games? This is great!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Attached is the link with the list!
http://web.sny.tv/teams/college_basketb ... .jsp?oid=2
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There will be two more games produced under the A10's media package that haven't been announced. This is one of the reasons the full TV schedule including Cox has not been released.

The Athletic Dept plans to release the full TV schedule Monday one way or another, and it will include these 2 additional unannounced A10-package games and those produced by Cox.

This year will be far and away the best TV coverage Rhody Hoops has ever enjoyed, especially for those who cannot get Cox-produced games.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:There will be two more games produced under the A10's media package that haven't been announced. This is one of the reasons the full TV schedule including Cox has not been released.

The Athletic Dept plans to release the full TV schedule Monday one way or another, and it will include these 2 additional unannounced A10-package games and those produced by Cox.

This year will be far and away the best TV coverage Rhody Hoops has ever enjoyed, especially for those who cannot get Cox-produced games.
Fantastic news!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I love COX! (that kind of sounds weird)
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Almost anything will be better than the 2 games I got to see on TV last year. This year, I can at least add CBSSN, packaged with about 10 other channels I probably will never watch, though. That wasn't an option last season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In RI, CBS Sports Network isn't offered in HD on Cox. That's a bit annoying since the games are produced in 16:9 and look like they've been shrunk when I view them on my HDTV. At least NBC Sports Network is in HD.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:In RI, CBS Sports Network isn't offered in HD on Cox. That's a bit annoying since the games are produced in 16:9 and look like they've been shrunk when I view them on my HDTV. At least NBC Sports Network is in HD.
Wow thats kind of surprising. With UVerse, it looks like I am going to be able to see a good amount of games on TV and in HD. More than ever before, thats for sure. I get SNY in HD through the sports package I have as well.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:In RI, CBS Sports Network isn't offered in HD on Cox. That's a bit annoying since the games are produced in 16:9 and look like they've been shrunk when I view them on my HDTV. At least NBC Sports Network is in HD.

CBS Sport Network is not available in HD here, either (Verizon Fios). So yeah, I'm paying extra a month for a not so great product.

I'm hoping that I'll get their games against the local teams (St. Joe's, La Salle) on Comcast SportsNet, which is the only way I got to watch them last year.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Random thought after 8 sox games on fox saw lots of hype about fs1:
Is anyone going to ever watch that network for anything?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyrudder wrote:Random thought after 8 sox games on fox saw lots of hype about fs1:
I already feel like its gone the way of the CBS and NBC sports networks so far. Remains to be seen if they can get better content.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:Random thought after 8 sox games on fox saw lots of hype about fs1:
I already feel like its gone the way of the CBS and NBC sports networks so far. Remains to be seen if they can get better content.

It will be interesting to see if viewers can even find it. It is near the end of my channel lineup outside the normal range of most HD channels.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

You guys are crazy......the national sports fan would rather watch DePaul vs seton hall rather than any big 10 or SEC or ACC matchup...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote:

CBS Sport Network is not available in HD here, either (Verizon Fios). So yeah, I'm paying extra a month for a not so great product.

I'm hoping that I'll get their games against the local teams (St. Joe's, La Salle) on Comcast SportsNet, which is the only way I got to watch them last year.
135 I think on my cox....pretty odd it is not on the HD lineup.

Might have to whine a bit about that.

:mrgreen:
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the fs1 network is killing it with UFC content, but that audience is not exactly ripe for BE basketball cross marketing. so they dont have any "lead in" which is critical to the success of any tv net. also where it falls on the dial is a big deal, Joe public just turns on ESPN and the channels around it. for me that means MSG and SNY get a lot of spill over. fs1 is nowhere near it.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

The rumor was today was the day the television schedule comes out and so far not a peep, anybody have any inside info on this?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I have Verizon and the ESPN's are in the 70's and Fox Sports1 is 83. Not hard to find for me.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramfan85 wrote:I have Verizon and the ESPN's are in the 70's and Fox Sports1 is 83. Not hard to find for me.

It really depends on the provider. I have Comcast and the HD channels are as such:

849 ESPN
850 ESPN2
851 NESN
852 Comcast Sports
853 NFL
856 CBS Sports
865 NBC Sports
900 ESPNU
913 NBA
914 MLB
922 National Geographic
924 FXX
925 FS1

Most of the 900 series sports channels are not part of the basic expanded service as they are only available through addional cost sports packages. FS1 is an exception on my system as it is part of expanded basic but is located in a range I rarely frequent as it is quite literally one of the last stations on my lineup.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I guess I'm one of the few that gets CBS Sports Network in HD (channel 221 on DirecTV). Is DTV the only provider that carries it in HD?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Time Warner in NYC carries it in HD as well.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I guess I'm one of the few that gets CBS Sports Network in HD (channel 221 on DirecTV). Is DTV the only provider that carries it in HD?
I have it in HD as well on UVerse
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

Hi everyone...thought I'd check in with an update re: the TV schedule. I had mentioned to ATP that we'd have a TV schedule to announce today and sorry it's not up there. It's all but done, just waiting on a few final confirmations - dotted i's and crossed t's sort of things.

Suffice to say, Rhode Island Basketball will be well-positioned, once again, with the best local TV partner and coverage in the A-10...combine that with a strong national slate and a high number of road and regional clearances, and the ability to watch Rhody games on an upgraded Cox Sports Online platform and it will be a great year to watch an exciting team.

Thanks for the interest...see you on Friday...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Thanks for the info Mike! Keep up the great work and can't wait to see the schedule!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

mlaprey wrote:... and the ability to watch Rhody games on an upgraded Cox Sports Online platform...
Never had a problem with the Cox Online platform but I know some did, so that's awesome news as well.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Will I be able to watch URI basketball games via Cox Sports Online if I live outside of RI? I never had an interest to spend money last year. ;)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yes, Cox Online Streaming doesn't matter where you are.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DanInAZ wrote:Will I be able to watch URI basketball games via Cox Sports Online if I live outside of RI? I never had an interest to spend money last year. ;)
Yeah, it was $10 a month last year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Dan - well worth it.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

The only problem I ever had with Cox Online was that after the basketball season was over the past two seasons I had a very difficult time trying to cancel my subscription. so I ended up getting charged for a couple extra months until I was able to get it cancelled. They did refund though. There is nowhere on the site where you can cancel. I had to email them each time and it was difficult to get the email address, and then it took a long time for them to respond. It makes me wary of getting involved with them again, bgut I probably will.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks everyone! Since I don't usually get home until 8pm EST, can I watch replays or is it live only?

Guess I could watch 2nd half of most games.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Very good to hear about an upgraded streaming option. It was always decent in the past, certainly better than what the previous option was, but there was still room to improve. Can't wait to subscribe again this year!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Will this come out before the first game is now the question. I was hoping cox would carry either Friday's game or the Maine opener but won't know for sure until we can see this schedule.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't think Cox ever carried exhibition games.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I thought Cox covered the RIC exhibition game a few years back.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

They did indeed cover the RIC game back to back years.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I got some good news at Alpine regarding TV. For those with SNY, you may get even more Rhody games than has been announced by that network.

Many hands in the pot. Cox will have several away games in addition to most all home games not already televised by the big guys. Cox may have some of their games syndicated through SNY.

TV sched will be worth the wait. It gets better each day we wait for the release.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ATP, that's great news! Luckily I have SNY! I was hoping Cox would start covering more away games and it seems like they are. Any word on when it will finally be rolled out?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Soon as it's done!
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

A10 digital network

St. Bonaventure Men's Basketball vs. Rhode Island
Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:45 PM

Men's Basketball - UMass vs. URI Premium
Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:50 PM

I would not be surprised if they added more games.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Digital Network? Like streaming and not broadcast? Those should be in addition to normal broadcast TV.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I got some good news at Alpine regarding TV. For those with SNY, you may get even more Rhody games than has been announced by that network.

Many hands in the pot. Cox will have several away games in addition to most all home games not already televised by the big guys. Cox may have some of their games syndicated through SNY.

TV sched will be worth the wait. It gets better each day we wait for the release.

Getting more games on SNY is a big plus as it is basically on all the cable systems in the metro NYC tri-state area. It will give Rhody a lot of exposure and should help with recruiting.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

mlaprey wrote:Hi everyone...thought I'd check in with an update re: the TV schedule. I had mentioned to ATP that we'd have a TV schedule to announce today and sorry it's not up there. It's all but done, just waiting on a few final confirmations - dotted i's and crossed t's sort of things.

Suffice to say, Rhode Island Basketball will be well-positioned, once again, with the best local TV partner and coverage in the A-10...combine that with a strong national slate and a high number of road and regional clearances, and the ability to watch Rhody games on an upgraded Cox Sports Online platform and it will be a great year to watch an exciting team.

Thanks for the interest...see you on Friday...
Must be a lot i's and t's in the schedule this year
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."