Who do you hate more - UMASS or PC?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Who do you hate more - UMASS or PC?

PC
82%
UMASS
18%

Total votes: 61

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Who do you hate more - UMASS or PC?

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Calling UMASS fans insufferable is ridiculous and certainly not any worse than our A10 opponents.
Sorry, guess it's me. I can attest that living in Boston and getting taunted and heckled by them virtually everywhere I wear my Rhody gear gets on my nerves sufficiently enough for me to say I strongly dislike their fans.
Huh. I live in Boston. I have yet to meet a UMass fan.
Ever go to a BC football game?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Ever been in a Turkish prison?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Ever been in a Turkish prison?
OK I just cracked up for a good minute at that one.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

D'ya like to watch gladiator movies?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Yeah, whenever they play ND. BC is almost as intolerable as PC. Their arrogance is only just slightly more justifiable.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Oh, scraps is a boy dog
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Easily PC. Not even close.
Mobley was fouled.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
Yeah, whenever they play ND. BC is almost as intolerable as PC. Their arrogance is only just slightly more justifiable.
I would agree with that. This year maybe not so much, but overall I agree.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Surely it's PC that's more dislikeable. And don't cal me Shirley.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

(To the melody of "Give My Regards to Broadway")
I hate the Pee-C Fry-izz
And everything about Pee-C
I hate the hype that Vincent Council gets
And I hate Ernie D
I hate the Big East Conference
And the Dunkin Donuts Dump too
I hate the Pee-C Fry-izz
So if you're a Fryuh I hate you.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Granted I didn't grow up in RI (or New England for that matter) but I never held much animosity towards PC when I was a student. And I don't think the players on either side did either. I know while I was at school the team would run into PC players at clubs in Providence and there was nothing but respect between each other. It only got hairy when there were women involved.
rhodyras
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhodyras »

Hate PC #1. Period. Only team that is close is Yankees.
UMass?... Yawn... they are in our conference, though.

Duke firmly in at #2... sorry, Bobby.
Note that I have no animosity toward Seton Hall, Wagner, or St. Anthony's , though!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The # 1 team I hate are the LA Fakers
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I wanted to address something hrstrat57 said. Holy Cross was a strong hoops program in the 1970s but actually turned down an invite to the Big East. The school downgraded sports in the increasing years.
As for URI in the Big East, Gavitt was never going to invite URI. Too bad Mo Zarchen didn't put together the Big East before Gavitt did. But Macy's doesn't help Gimbel's.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I gotta say, I'm shocked how slanted it is for PC. I figured it'd be PC, but by a 60/40 margin.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I was URI from 1975-79, when the rivalry was at its wildest. It's tamer now, part of it being the lack of recent success for both teams and the rise of conferences. URI and UMASS are mirror images. To have a huge hatred of UMASS is almost self-hatred.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramblinrose wrote:I was URI from 1975-79, when the rivalry was at its wildest. It's tamer now, part of it being the lack of recent success for both teams and the rise of conferences. URI and UMASS are mirror images. To have a huge hatred of UMASS is almost self-hatred.
I was there pretty much the same time, 74-78....fights on the court, vicious fight in the stands and outside the Civic Center. You are right, the rivalry sure was wild during that time.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

The 90s were pretty good; bc the product on the floor was great. I think we are heading that way again. Three years and this will be a tough ticket
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:I was URI from 1975-79, when the rivalry was at its wildest. It's tamer now, part of it being the lack of recent success for both teams and the rise of conferences. URI and UMASS are mirror images. To have a huge hatred of UMASS is almost self-hatred.
Yeah, this is the main thing I don't understand about the question. I don't see much of a difference between UMass and URI. Hating UMass more than PC would be like North Carolina fans hating UVA, South Carolina or Tennessee more than Duke. It makes no sense.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:
Yeah, this is the main thing I don't understand about the question. I don't see much of a difference between UMass and URI. Hating UMass more than PC would be like North Carolina fans hating UVA, South Carolina or Tennessee more than Duke. It makes no sense.
Disagree completely:

1) UMASS has killed URI's post season chances twice in recent memory.
2) Everytime we play UMASS it means more
3) Their fans are wayyyy more dickheaded than PC fans.
4) UNC and Duke play in the same conference. If PC were in the A10, this would be no contest and be PC for sure.
5) I know plenty of PC fans who hate UCONN or 'Cuse way more than they hate URI. I can't say I know any UMASS fans that hate any team more than URI.

I mean obviously I'm in a very small minority with my opinion, and maybe older fans who went through the 70s and the creation of the BE have a totally different perspective - but during my lifetime, I feel like UMASS matters more.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think where we disagree is what the "hate" is based on. Maybe UMass is a bigger rival, because they're in our conference, we play them more frequently and the game potentially "means" more with respect to our season because of conference standings implications and the dates that the games are played are closer to the end of the year. To me, though, competing for attention in our own state is more of a rallying point than competing with UMass for 7th place in the A10. I hate PC as an institution in a way I could never feel about UMass. Culturally, URI and UMass are as similar as you can get. URI and PC couldn't be more different.

Your biggest rival isn't always the same as your most hated team (although it usually is, probably). For instance, the situation I am most familiar with is Notre Dame. It's two biggest historical "rivals" are USC and Navy, but their most hated is unquestionably Michigan. This has a lot to do with the particulars of those schools' relationship, but suffice it to say "rivals" and "most hated" aren't synonymous there. Another example is South Carolina and Clemson. They aren't in the same conference. They are bitter, bitter in-state foes that HATE each other. South Carolina has a nice little rivalry going with Georgia in the SEC, but the fans circle the Clemson/SCar game when the schedule comes out.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TP you're definitely right about rivals and hate being separate - maybe I'm just unique in that i HATE UMASS more than I hate PC. So much more. Incredulously more.

I want PC to win every single game but 1 every year. I want UMASS to lose. All the time. I want to watch their fans cry. Their players are all scumbags. Their students are scumbags - it's amazing Thorr turned out so awesome. I want to watch them hurt and suffer. I want the worst for all of them. I've never gone up there or seen their fans here and had a respectful exchange with someone of an equal intelligence level.

I've gotten into one altercation with PC fans when I was in high school, but I swear every time UMASS kids are around it always turns physical because those assbags are without reason. I'm getting heated right now talking about how much I hate UMASS.

I'll be crazier than any other game when it comes to PC. I'll hate the people in the building that day. I'll hate the team on the floor. But honestly - I like Cooley. I hate Kellogg. After I hate everything about the Dunk and everyone in it next Thursday, I'll probably be at the Dunk a couple weeks later wanting the Friars to win. Can't say the reverse for UMASS.

So it's probably just me, but F UMASS and everything they stand for.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

When a conference's prestige is based on how well they play out of conference opponents, it is hard for me to root against any A-10 team.

Each season, at the end of the out of conference portion of the schedule, I see which teams have placed themselves in the NCAA tournament picture by virtue of their OOC won-lost record and RPI. I then root for those A-10 teams to win big in the conference portion of the schedule.

I do not want A-10 teams with poor RPI's to beat A-10 teams with a chance to get into the tournament. The more teams the A-10 gets into the NCAA tournament the better for the status and finances of each member of the conference.

So there will be years I root for UMass to do well and years I root against them.

There is no reason to root for any big east team, ever.

I root against them all and hope they fare poorly in the out of conference schedule, although they have so much money to throw around that they buy their games against weak opponents in large part, and never play anyone away from home.

So to get to the final conclusion........UMass I can root for, the friars I cannot. So my vote goes to PC
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:So it's probably just me, but F UMASS and everything they stand for.
It's not just you - I agree completely.