Who do you hate more - UMASS or PC?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

PC
82%
UMASS
18%

Total votes: 61

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In light of the game tonight between UMASS and PC, figured I'd ask the question.

My take is that while the PC rivalry has Cooled (see what I did there?) in the last few years, I only hate them on game day. I'd like to see them win every other game but ours during the year. It's good for basketball around the state to have 2 good teams.

On the other hand...I HATE UMASS. Like I hate the Jets, Yankees, Red Sox ownership group, slow drivers in the fast lane, occupy wallstreeters, and hipsters. They are dirty people, dirty players, and the lowest form of scum the A10 could dig up.

For tonight, Go Friars.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Who do you hate more - UMASS or PC?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I hate PC. There is not a close 2nd in any sport....ok, maybe the Jets. We could go 1-28 and I'd still be happy if that 1 win were against PC.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't hate anybody.
Having lived (my own parents), and worked with PC fans, I came to learn that there are two kinds of PC fans.
The real basketball fans, and the fringe fans, like the ones who like the Giants or Yankees.
I respect the real basketball fans of any school.
The other kind, only know their school, their players,and have no perspective.
They're better than us, end of story, with little to back it up.
Now UMass, well that's a different animal.
I never payed much attention to UMass, except when we played them, or when they had Julius Erving.
They were a moribund program, playing in the worst dump, Curry Hicks Cage, and had no tradition at all.
Once Calipari got them going, their fans were as obnoxious as it gets.
I remember we had a double header at the PCC. UMass opened against UNCC, and we had the second game.
When our game began, after the first timeout, this UMass guy next to me asked,"Do your fans always sit down during the games?
Ours stand for the entire game!."
I told him, you people couldn't fill Curry Hicks Dump, ever, and now you're acting like you're the Duke Cameron Crazies?"
Besides, their fans most certainly did not stand for the whole game.
The fans at Mullins Center are real jerks, when they spot where the URI people are sitting.
I've never gotten hassled at a PC game, and I'm not exactly quiet, either.
So, take your pick.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Like I hate the Jets, Yankees, Red Sox ownership group, slow drivers in the fast lane, occupy wallstreeters, and hipsters."
Blue Man, I knew I liked you for a reason!
1 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I HATE the PC basketball team with all my heart. Not even close!!

However I hate the people who are generally associated with UMASS more than I do those generally associated with PC.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That's like asking who do you hate more, Stalin or Hitler?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I hate them both equally, and its more than I hate any other college hoops program by far.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd rather have UMASS win. They are in our league (for now anyway). It would be a league win.
I'd never be happy if we only had one win and it was against PC. I only want them good when we're good.
Agree about their fans. They're nice people (they just don't know any better-lol)
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I hate UMASS more :P
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

seanmc94 wrote:I hate UMASS more :P
and in other news the sky is blue and the grass is green :P

honestly the fans of UMASS are worse than PC fans but not all PC fans are a$$holes
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

That's a tough one but I think I hate PC fans more. I just grew up around so many people that were PC fans and I was the only one who liked URI (my dad was class of '75, and brought me to games starting when I was 3 or 4). To me, PC fans are on the same level as half of the Cowboys fans, Notre Dame fans, and Yankees fans out there. They just decide that "this is my team" even though they have no affiliation. I guess it's a bit silly, but that just bothers me. They chant "safety school", but at least half of their fan base didn't even go to PC.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

North Carolina

(I made up my own question)
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Blue Man wrote:In light of the game tonight between UMASS and PC, figured I'd ask the question.

My take is that while the PC rivalry has Cooled (see what I did there?) in the last few years, I only hate them on game day. I'd like to see them win every other game but ours during the year. It's good for basketball around the state to have 2 good teams.

On the other hand...I HATE UMASS. Like I hate the Jets, Yankees, Red Sox ownership group, slow drivers in the fast lane, occupy wallstreeters, and hipsters. They are dirty people, dirty players, and the lowest form of scum the A10 could dig up.

For tonight, Go Friars.
Why is it good for basketball around the state to have 2 good teams? I would prefer to have one excellent team ,URI.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i agree with Essam!! them being good does nothing for us except take away projo space that could be about URI.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC hanging in with zero depth and no margin of error. Cooley can coach, they play disciplined and Batts is a beast. He tore us up 2 years ago, imagine what is going to happen this year. Easy he could go for 30 against our front court.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't want to play either team this year.
UMass reminds me of some of CFL's almost teams.
Lots of athletes, but no basketball IQ.
PC is doing it with smoke and mirrors. They have no depth,
but better quality players than we do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't really see this as close at all. UMass is our brother school, the fellow state school from our neighboring state. PC is quite possibly the most intolerable collection of people ever assembled. And yes, I have good friends and family members that are PC alums. They're intolerable too, at least whenever that I get the sense that they are proud that they went to PC.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't really see this as close at all. UMass is our brother school, the fellow state school from our neighboring state. PC is quite possibly the most intolerable collection of people ever assembled. And yes, I have good friends and family members that are PC alums. They're intolerable too, at least whenever that I get the sense that they are proud that they went to PC.
Haha, love it TP.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I find UMass fans to be more insufferable, but PC is a close 3rd. Notre Dame fans take the #1 spot.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I don't hate anybody.
The real basketball fans, and the fringe fans, like the ones who like the Giants or Yankees.
As a Giants season ticket holder and Yankee fan, kiss my ass!

That said, I root for UMass to win all non-conference games because it's better for the A10. The only PC game I care about is the one vs. URI.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And PC loses a heartbreaker after coming back. UMass with a tip in offensive rebound at the buzzer.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Brutal loss for pc, they will look back at this game as one that got away.. a gritty performance by pc and their fans can at least be happy of the way they competed against a better, more experienced team. UMass does not look like a team who will contend in the A10 this year, they are horribly undisciplined. Why they didnt pound it inside against a short handed team is baffling.. they also had many poor possessions in the final minutes of that game, they were lucky to win.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:I find UMass fans to be more insufferable, but PC is a close 3rd. Notre Dame fans take the #1 spot.
UMass fans are just Rhody fans in maroon. What are they supposed to do, root for URI? Your opinion is basically worthless anyway, if you're one of those ND haters. I find it difficult to understand how people can be against everything that is right and good about college athletics.

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:I find UMass fans to be more insufferable, but PC is a close 3rd. Notre Dame fans take the #1 spot.
UMass fans are just Rhody fans in maroon. What are they supposed to do, root for URI?
Not sure what that means.
Your opinion is basically worthless anyway, if you're one of those ND haters. I find it difficult to understand how people can be against everything that is right and good about college athletics.
The next ND fan I meet that went to ND and/or is from Indiana will be the first. It's the biggest bandwagon sports program in the country, collegiate or otherwise. With that territory comes plenty of yahoos. This isn't about the team (at least my response wasn't), but about the fan base.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
TruePoint wrote:UMass fans are just Rhody fans in maroon. What are they supposed to do, root for URI?
Not sure what that means.
It means they are probably the most similar fan base to URI's in the country. They're New Englanders, fans of a program at a rural state university that is largely neglected, have had similar histories with a couple really good teams and coaches amid a lot of mediocrity. I just don't get what there is not to like about them. The UMass rivalry is like a sibling rivalry. If they are insufferable, we must be equally insufferable. The only thing that could be insufferable about them is that they root for UMass. My question was whether you wanted to them to root for URI so they would be more sufferable.
The next ND fan I meet that went to ND and/or is from Indiana will be the first. It's the biggest bandwagon sports program in the country, collegiate or otherwise. With that territory comes plenty of yahoos. This isn't about the team (at least my response wasn't), but about the fan base.
What kind of idiot jumps onto a bandwagon of a team that hasn't been better than average since before the players on the team were born? Many people, and people who were raised as Catholics in particular, inherited their relationship with ND football from their fathers and grandfathers. That is why they are much more popular in the northeast than they are in Indiana (where a lot of people don't like Catholics and consider ND to be an elitist east coast school). Considering that my alma mater barely plays football and I've watched Notre Dame play just about every Saturday since I was three years old, I don't feel guilty about not having gone there. I feel even less guilty knowing they are competing with legitimate student athletes against semi-professional teams. They graduate 99% of their players (compared to the ~40% that the football factories typically graduate); they don't cut players or pull scholarships; the players don't live in a football mansion - they live in dorms with biology and history majors; and they graduate with real degrees - they don't have "general studies" or phys ed majors. I don't feel bad about rooting for them at all.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: The next ND fan I meet that went to ND and/or is from Indiana will be the first. It's the biggest bandwagon sports program in the country, collegiate or otherwise. With that territory comes plenty of yahoos. This isn't about the team (at least my response wasn't), but about the fan base.
Not to turn this into too much of an ND discussion, but I think part of what you say above has more to do with where you live/are from than anything else. And if I am incorrectly assuming that you are in the RI/Northeast area, then correct me.

I am not an ND fan, but I am married to an alum who also worked in the athletics department after graduating and have made many trips to South Bend and Chicago over the last 7 years for games. Spend a few Saturdays in Chicago during football season and you cant turn around without bumping into a fan who went to ND and is anything but a bandwagon fan.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! I have something in common with TP!!!! I'm in shock!
I've been a Notre Dame fan since grade school.
Catholic brainwashing.
Until this year, I wondered if they'd ever climb the mountain again.
Lots of thrills over the years, espcially through the best ever, Joe Montana.
I hate the Giants. Have since Chris Schenkel and his.
"Here come the New york FOOTBALL Giants", even thought the baseball
Giants were long gone. SO 05 ,go catch a javelin for me. OK?
However, if you're a season ticket holder, then you must be a real fan.
I give a pass on those. Somebody must genuinely like teams from New York.
I don't.
PC showed a lot of moxie tonight. Never quit.
Cooley playing a zone accomplished a couple of things.
It kept his players from getting tired, running around on defense.
It completely baffled UMass, who never really solved it.
It probably saved his entire team from fouling out playing man to man.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I dont like either school but I was pulling for UMASS
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I'm curious what you guys thought about PCs last possession. Flop or charge?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod nailed it. UMass looks like JB's best teams here. Talented, but no BB IQ. If PC had a healthy Council, they would have won.

UMass won't Dance this season. They will lose most of their games against the A10's best. Just like we did when Baron was here.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:Rod nailed it. UMass looks like JB's best teams here. Talented, but no BB IQ. If PC had a healthy Council, they would have won.

UMass won't Dance this season. They will lose most of their games against the A10's best. Just like we did when Baron was here.
PC also gets Dunn back in December (hopefully after the 6th). Dunn and Council will make them much more competitive in the Big East, I just don't know how far they'll be able to go without Ledo.

UMass does resemble our Baronball teams a lot, but a lot better inside. I never saw Kellogg as a great x's and o's coach (like someone else I know) so it'll be interesting to see how they do later in the season. Maybe we'll get to return the favor for them at the end this year.

Rod, some of the many things we have in common lol.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Agree with Rod and Rambone - I do think that UMass was playing better D than anything we saw under Baron, but otherwise, carbon copies.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I actually felt sorry for PC last night. They played so hard and fell short on a put back.
UMass fans can't feel too good. Imagine how they would look with just 6 or 7 scholarship players. I still want them to win non conference games, though. Good for the league. If they lose all of their league games it wouldn't bother me.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Umass is so close to being 0-2 this season, a year where they are supposed to be setting themselves up for their first NCAA bid since the 90s.

This is why I was hoping UMass would win, since it helps the A10 anyone a BCS team goes down.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Given the choice, I'd pick PC. I guess when the state snubbed uri back in the '70's it always gave me the idea that we were second class citizens. I am indifferent to Umass, basically rooting for the a-10. My biggest hate is Uconn. I find their fans to be elitists, and will snubb their own team when they "fail" to make the dance. The team just beat Michigan State and had at least 2000 seats empty for their first home game at Gampel against Vermont. I am slightly less hateful because of their new coach. Calhoun - hall of fame coach, but it many ways he symbolized the arrogance of the program.
0 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

It's not even close. I tend to dislike both programs. But...

I dislike PC the most. By a mile.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

neil wrote:Calhoun - hall of fame coach, but it many ways he symbolized the arrogance of the program.
Completely agree. It will be kind of fun to see how the program performs in all aspects now that Calhoun is out.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If I'm a PC fan, I'm no that disappointed. Sure, tough way to lose, but the team fought hard and individually guys are getting better.
If I'm a UMass fan, I'm worried. Could've lost to an Ivy league school and the worst team in the BE. Played very good D, but offensively they were a mess.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Supposedly, Bryce Cotton is on crutches today.
Geez, and I thought we had problems.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Supposedly, Bryce Cotton is on crutches today.
Looks like they have 5 scholarship players for the game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Supposedly, Bryce Cotton is on crutches today.
Looks like they have 5 scholarship players for the game.
Hey, could I enroll at PC as a grad student and get some playing time? I'm 55 and can't run that well anymore and my vertical is down to about 6 inches but I can still shoot like hell. Hey, sounds like a good story to me.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Why hate UMASS or PC for that matter? UMASS has very few fans because it is located in a town that is tough to reach on winter nights. Calling UMASS fans insufferable is ridiculous and certainly not any worse than our A10 opponents.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't really see this as close at all. UMass is our brother school, the fellow state school from our neighboring state. PC is quite possibly the most intolerable collection of people ever assembled. And yes, I have good friends and family members that are PC alums. They're intolerable too, at least whenever that I get the sense that they are proud that they went to PC.
Absolutely 100% agree.

PC cannot suffer enough to satisfy me.

Same as with the Yankees I am a fan of whoever is playing against them.

All day.

I remember Rhody getting stiffed in the late 70's, I was there.

In fact, Holy Cross got stiffed too.

The on campus Ryan Center rockin' with a strong Ram program is PC's ultimate nightmare. Let's bring it to reality.

A D1 hockey program rockin' a sold out Ryan Center every Friday night would be PC ultimate nightmare number 2. Why that hasn't happened yet is amazing to me. URI's club team was 100% ready to jump to the ECAC a couple of years ago, had size, speed scoring and a great coaching staff. Played like a D1 club every night.....Penn State is jumping to D1 and we were every bit right there.

But this is a basketball forum and i digress......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ryan Center cannot accomodate hockey.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote:Calling UMASS fans insufferable is ridiculous and certainly not any worse than our A10 opponents.
Sorry, guess it's me. I can attest that living in Boston and getting taunted and heckled by them virtually everywhere I wear my Rhody gear gets on my nerves sufficiently enough for me to say I strongly dislike their fans.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC loses another one to a team they should have beaten easily IF they had Council and Cotton.

If those guys are out for any length of time, they're toast. Their remaining players will have to be treated for exhaustion at this rate.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If PC gets Dunn, Council, and Cotton healthly by the start of the BE league season, they will be pretty good. A middle of the pack team I would guess. Still no frontcourt depth though.

Next year, the rivalry with us should really pick up again. They will be better, and we will be a LOT better. Our disadvantage, if we have one, is how good will we be that early in the season, with all the new players?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:If PC gets Dunn, Council, and Cotton healthly by the start of the BE league season, they will be pretty good. A middle of the pack team I would guess. Still no frontcourt depth though.

Next year, the rivalry with us should really pick up again. They will be better, and we will be a LOT better. Our disadvantage, if we have one, is how good will we be that early in the season, with all the new players?
Matthews vs. Dunn for 3 years should be fun.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Calling UMASS fans insufferable is ridiculous and certainly not any worse than our A10 opponents.
Sorry, guess it's me. I can attest that living in Boston and getting taunted and heckled by them virtually everywhere I wear my Rhody gear gets on my nerves sufficiently enough for me to say I strongly dislike their fans.
Huh. I live in Boston. I have yet to meet a UMass fan.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NC St wiped the floor with UMASS and PC loses in OT, I love it !!
0 x