Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm certainly not worried about a weak schedule this year. Pile up as many wins as possible, sell all the incoming recruits on a complete turnaround and then use a stronger schedule to get to the tourney next season. I doubt anybody will be complaining them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Indeed, Adam. Indeed. Will you get back here for any games this season?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

2013 -14 RHODE ISLAND MEN'S BASKETBALL
August 19 - Acceptance of New Season Ticket Applications
September 9 - Mini Plans On-Sale
October 16 - Single Game Tickets On-Sale
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is Akeem still there ??
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Yes, he will be a senior
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

adam914 wrote:I'm certainly not worried about a weak schedule this year. Pile up as many wins as possible, sell all the incoming recruits on a complete turnaround and then use a stronger schedule to get to the tourney next season. I doubt anybody will be complaining them.
Do you really think recruits are that stupid? These kids are savvy (basketball savvy, at least) and know the difference between a good 19-12 and a hollow 23-8. Maybe the NCAAs is a one out of ten situation this year but this isn't a young team, really, and they should all have it as a goal from the benchwarmer up to the AD. We can strip away why (no teams would schedule us!) but the reality is this OOC stinks from the viewing standpoint, the competition standpoint, and the goal standpoint. Teams get better by playing up. Guys like EC get better by playing up. Unless it's a complete rebuild job where you have seven freshmen and don't want to see them dusted by 40 every game, you don't want a 300+ OOC SOS and this is what this schedule is.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'm certainly not worried about a weak schedule this year. Pile up as many wins as possible, sell all the incoming recruits on a complete turnaround and then use a stronger schedule to get to the tourney next season. I doubt anybody will be complaining them.
Do you really think recruits are that stupid? These kids are savvy (basketball savvy, at least) and know the difference between a good 19-12 and a hollow 23-8. Maybe the NCAAs is a one out of ten situation this year but this isn't a young team, really, and they should all have it as a goal from the benchwarmer up to the AD. We can strip away why (no teams would schedule us!) but the reality is this OOC stinks from the viewing standpoint, the competition standpoint, and the goal standpoint. Teams get better by playing up. Guys like EC get better by playing up. Unless it's a complete rebuild job where you have seven freshmen and don't want to see them dusted by 40 every game, you don't want a 300+ OOC SOS and this is what this schedule is.

So do you think they could have made a tougher schedule and chose not to?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Honestly, I wasn't in the room when it happened that's why I said let's strip away the why and analyze what it is and that is a terrible OOC. However, it's hard to imagine that they couldn't have done better if they wanted to. I mean, it's bottom of the barrel. It's why people mocked VT all of those years. You have to try to cobble together an OOC that bad, especially the home slate. Maybe they tried and that's just the way it fell. I don't know. I do know it's disappointing.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

G-B-G: BINGO!!!!!!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ace wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Do you really think recruits are that stupid? These kids are savvy (basketball savvy, at least) and know the difference between a good 19-12 and a hollow 23-8. Maybe the NCAAs is a one out of ten situation this year but this isn't a young team, really, and they should all have it as a goal from the benchwarmer up to the AD. We can strip away why (no teams would schedule us!) but the reality is this OOC stinks from the viewing standpoint, the competition standpoint, and the goal standpoint. Teams get better by playing up. Guys like EC get better by playing up. Unless it's a complete rebuild job where you have seven freshmen and don't want to see them dusted by 40 every game, you don't want a 300+ OOC SOS and this is what this schedule is.

Honestly, I wasn't in the room when it happened that's why I said let's strip away the why and analyze what it is and that is a terrible OOC. However, it's hard to imagine that they couldn't have done better if they wanted to. I mean, it's bottom of the barrel. It's why people mocked VT all of those years. You have to try to cobble together an OOC that bad, especially the home slate. Maybe they tried and that's just the way it fell. I don't know. I do know it's disappointing.
So your answer, essentially, is that yes, they could have done better but didn't.

Everyone who talks about scheduling (in general in the basketball world) acknowledges the difficulties that a team like this has in scheduling. You don't know but suspect that they could have done better. Saying the schedule, as it stands now, is weak is accurate. Personally, I can't get too worked up about that given the context and don't see the point of ignoring that reality.

And as it stands now, this team and staff doesn't seem to need an inflated win total to recruit. For better or worse, they're already doing that on close to no wins.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

first off, any OOC that includes Arizona, LSU, PC & Detroit with 3 of the 4 of them being true road games can never be seen as horrible. if you want to say the home schedule is light, yes. i would hope in the 2-3 games still to be added that their is another marquee matchup. but calling the entire OOC schedule horrible is not accurate. just another anti Hurley regime rant, par for the course.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:first off, any OOC that includes Arizona, LSU, PC & Detroit with 3 of the 4 of them being true road games can never be seen as horrible. if you want to say the home schedule is light, yes. i would hope in the 2-3 games still to be added that their is another marquee matchup. but calling the entire OOC schedule horrible is not accurate. just another anti Hurley regime rant, par for the course.
That's one NCAA team. At the end of the year, it will be a 300+ OOC schedule. Paint it with whatever brush you want. I'm not anti-Hurley. Never have been but I'm not a sycophant, either. Could have done better. I want to watch better games and I want to see these guys go up against better comp. That's how you improve. Not by laying waste to bad teams at home.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

For what its worth, I find the whining about the schedule to be incredibly irritating. It is what it is. Some years it may matter, but this isn't one of those years. I suspect that the schedule looks the way it does for a variety of reasons, and that none of those reasons is "to spite the fan base."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC will be close to a tourney team for sure, and do your homework because LSU could very well dance this year. So if that breaks its 3, Detroit is always solid, tourney appearance or not. Again you want to argue about our home schedule go ahead, but I highly doubt the choice was a 2 for 1 vs BC or UMass Lowell and he chose UM-L. Likely no one or marquis value would come to play us at home under any circumstance.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I agree the OOC is what it is.....the away slate is better, but it is always better. It is difficult to get marquee teams to go on the road OOC to a place where they can lose.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:For what its worth, I find the whining about the schedule to be incredibly irritating. It is what it is. Some years it may matter, but this isn't one of those years. I suspect that the schedule looks the way it does for a variety of reasons, and that none of those reasons is "to spite the fan base."
Whining about being irritated on a message board is fairly ridiculous, too. Anyway, I agree that it's probably a hodge podge of reasons why it fell this way. There are already less great games inside the conference with Butler and X gone. Would have really liked to seen a good slate. That's all. Selfishly, I like to watch better comp. And, for the team, I think it makes them better down the road.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

When was last time URI has had a BCS Conference School at home in the OOC schedule. PC and Seton Hall from the Big East, and BC from the ACC. Who else?

Or an NCAA tournament team?
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

In season tournaments don't count.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

URIGONZO wrote:When was last time URI has had a BCS Conference School at home in the OOC schedule. PC and Seton Hall from the Big East, and BC from the ACC. Who else?

I guess Va Tech would count. Oklahoma State would mostly count.

It's not like they have to be BCS teams at home. But there are a million miles between Maine, North Carolina AT&T, UML, UNH and having Syracuse show up. George Mason was a great OOC home game. Charleston. Davidson. Not marquee names but historically good programs that are good to watch and help the team improve.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:
URIGONZO wrote:When was last time URI has had a BCS Conference School at home in the OOC schedule. PC and Seton Hall from the Big East, and BC from the ACC. Who else?

I guess Va Tech would count. Oklahoma State would mostly count.

It's not like they have to be BCS teams at home. But there are a million miles between Maine, North Carolina AT&T, UML, UNH and having Syracuse show up. George Mason was a great OOC home game. Charleston. Davidson. Not marquee names but historically good programs that are good to watch and help the team improve.

So going with your belief that they chose to have a weaker schedule, why did they do that?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Gonebarongone wrote:That's one NCAA team. At the end of the year, it will be a 300+ OOC schedule. Paint it with whatever brush you want. I'm not anti-Hurley. Never have been but I'm not a sycophant, either. Could have done better. I want to watch better games and I want to see these guys go up against better comp. That's how you improve. Not by laying waste to bad teams at home.
So looking at last season, with about 350 D1 Hoops teams, we can study the schedule for one team in the middle of that bottom 7th of the Division 1 in Strength of Schedule RPI. Does Rhody's overall SOS this season look anything as horrible as that?? I disagree that this will be a 300+ SOS.

Note: NC Central is a conf game for them, so disregard that game

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

bigappleram wrote:PC will be close to a tourney team for sure, and do your homework because LSU could very well dance this year. So if that breaks its 3, Detroit is always solid, tourney appearance or not. Again you want to argue about our home schedule go ahead, but I highly doubt the choice was a 2 for 1 vs BC or UMass Lowell and he chose UM-L. Likely no one or marquis value would come to play us at home under any circumstance.

SMU should be pretty good as well. Larry Brown is bringing in 3 transfers, and is bringing in a very good recruiting class.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TexRam wrote:
bigappleram wrote:PC will be close to a tourney team for sure, and do your homework because LSU could very well dance this year. So if that breaks its 3, Detroit is always solid, tourney appearance or not. Again you want to argue about our home schedule go ahead, but I highly doubt the choice was a 2 for 1 vs BC or UMass Lowell and he chose UM-L. Likely no one or marquis value would come to play us at home under any circumstance.

SMU should be pretty good as well. Larry Brown is bringing in 3 transfers, and is bringing in a very good recruiting class.
In a pretty bleak season last year, that was a nice win they had against SMU. You're right in that they're better this year, too.

Nice little article on SMU and Brown
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Here's a great article about Larry Brown from this past February for those who enjoy in-depth profiles!!!! A very nice attachment to the previous up-to-date ESPN article.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/891 ... lege-hoops

Very insightful, great History…..

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

George Washington has just announced their OOC schedule: 14 games, 7 at home, 3 away games, 4 games at neutral sites.

Code: Select all

11/08/13	vs. RADFORD	
11/12/13	vs. MAINE	
11/16/13	at  Manhattan	Bronx, NY	
11/19/13	vs. DELAWARE STATE	

WOODEN LEGACY at Fullerton/Anaheim, CA
11/28/13	vs. Miami 
11/29/13	vs.TBD
12/01/13	vs.TBD

12/04/13	vs. RUTGERS	

12/08/13	vs. Maryland	19th ANNUAL BB&T CLASSIC @ Verizon Center, Washington, DC	

12/11/13	vs. BOSTON UNIVERSITY		
12/21/13	vs. UMBC	
12/28/13	at Hofstra	Hempstead, NY	
12/31/13   at Kansas State Manhattan, KS
01/03/14	vs. GEORGIA
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As of today in the A-10, only UMass, URI, St. Joe's, Saint Louis have not announced their 2013-14 OOC schedule.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Seton Hall and pc are not BCS schools.......no big time football.....hence they were and are mid-majors.....like many of us in the A-10 and new big east.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:George Washington has just announced their OOC schedule: 14 games, 7 at home, 3 away games, 4 games at neutral sites.

Code: Select all

11/08/13	vs. RADFORD	
11/12/13	vs. MAINE	
11/16/13	at  Manhattan	Bronx, NY	
11/19/13	vs. DELAWARE STATE	

WOODEN LEGACY at Fullerton/Anaheim, CA
11/28/13	vs. Miami 
11/29/13	vs.TBD
12/01/13	vs.TBD

12/04/13	vs. RUTGERS	

12/08/13	vs. Maryland	19th ANNUAL BB&T CLASSIC @ Verizon Center, Washington, DC	

12/11/13	vs. BOSTON UNIVERSITY		
12/21/13	vs. UMBC	
12/28/13	at Hofstra	Hempstead, NY	
12/31/13   at Kansas State Manhattan, KS
01/03/14	vs. GEORGIA

GW has a pretty good schedule. It is worth noting that they got Rutgers AND Georgia to visit the Smith Center in the same season. They also hosted Kansas State last year and Oregon State a few years back. Their home venue may not help but I bet that is more than offset by their location in DC.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I think that is more due to their location. Both Eddie Jordan and associate head coach David Cox worked with DC Assault, the top AAU team in DC. Coach Cox has helped bring in DC Assault guys like Junior Etou, Jerome Seagers and Wally Judge. Kansas State use to have Dalonte Hill as their top payed assistant, who also came from DC Assault. He helped bring in DC Assault guys like Jamar Samuels, Rodney McGruder and Michael Beasley. Teams will try and play away games in areas they are attempting to recruit (thus URI traveling to Detriot for example...)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I believe NC A+T was in the NCAAT last year. Won their first round game against Liberty then took a beating by Lville.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:I believe NC A+T was in the NCAAT last year. Won their first round game against Liberty then took a beating by Lville.
Yeah, they played in Dayton (First Four).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Indeed, Adam. Indeed. Will you get back here for any games this season?
Probably not this season unfortunately. But I will definitely be making that trip to Arizona!!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I love going to road games - since I've been in Boston I've seen Rhody at Northeastern and at BC. Would selfishly love to see them add a Boston-area team to the schedule, haha.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you believe the talk, it looks like SMU is going to land Emmanuel Mudiay, arguably the #1 player in the 14 class, definitely top 5. He's from Texas, but that is still very impressive.
0 x
districtballer
Michael Andersen

Unread post by districtballer »

The Larry Brown effect. They already have a McDonald's All-American coming in this year with 5-star Keith Frazier staying home.

This isn't the SMU of the last 20 years any more.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Agree with this-

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rothstein's tweet harkens me back to the days of the ECAC.....well before many of you were born.....but an era that shaped my love for college basketball forever....

Ramblings of an old dude....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The ECAC GAME of the WEEK, with MARV ALBERT and BUCKY WATERS!!!!!!!!! 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

bressler3south wrote:The ECAC GAME of the WEEK, with MARV ALBERT and BUCKY WATERS!!!!!!!!! 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)
Yes. Tuesday night on a Worcester UHF station (25?). To see it clearly, you needed a roll of aluminum wrap. I really miss those days, though.
Speaking of Bucky Waters, anyone remember what he became "famous" for doing on a free throw?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, but channel 27 from Worcester.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I remember those days as well

TVS game of the week
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I really don't understand the hammering of the schedule. We're a second year rebuild coming off of a decade plus of nothing.

If you win the games you're supposed to, don't lose any you're not supposed to, and steal a big one - you're a tournament team.

We haven't had a team come CLOSE to doing that in the past 14 years. We have a schedule full of games we can win, games we shouldn't lose, and an opportunity to steal a shocker.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URIGONZO
ARD

Is there a lot of schedule "hammering" going on?

I don't think anybody can say that the away OOC leaves something to be desired....I think it is very strong. I've also stated that URI has had difficulty getting big-time teams to come into the Ryan Center. I don't think they see anything positive by putting themselves in a position to lose on the road.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Agree with most of the posts that our schedule is not that exciting. Let's just win games and see what happens. I know it's a long shot, but if we upset Arizona, we go to the garden to possibly play either Duke, Alabama or Rutgers. All of a suddent the schedule looks alot better. I would love to know the over/under on how many fouls are called for and against the Rams when they play Arizona. I bet there are a number of AU fans who already have their plane tickets to new york. I assume some of your remember the BC Nit game where the message board flashed the date and time for the Eagles next home game in the tournament before the game had ended. Let the games begin!
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by billyjack »

bressler3south wrote:Here's a great article about Larry Brown from this past February for those who enjoy in-depth profiles!!!! A very nice attachment to the previous up-to-date ESPN article.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/891 ... lege-hoops

Very insightful, great History…..

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Great article, thanks!
0 x
Rhody4324
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Rhody4324 »

So is there no non-con this year :)? Can't ever remember a schedule not being released by the end of August. Guess I'm just antsy.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Larry Brown can flat out coach !!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UMass OOC schedule officially announced today. 5 home games, 3 away games, 6 games at neutral sites. Looks pretty attractive.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/uma ... ce_Sch.pdf
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

I think URI should officially announce their entire schedule before I am required to pay for my season tickets. I think that is only fair.

Thoughts?
0 x