Our New Floor

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Our New Floor

Unread post by theblueram »

This new mascot is a sissy. Old Rhody was respected because he kicked ass. St Joe's with the tire tube was classic. Hell, he was so awesome that he got his ass kicked at the civiv center because he screwed with that ridiculous friar mascot. The history of that mascot is awesome. Who cares if he slid into some cheerleaders. That mascot got respect. Bring him back!
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

The mascot has been changed from the "old" mascot because it went from someone who wanted to do it, had fun doing it and wanted to get the crowd into it. The tire tube mascot and the yellow sled mascot were two guys that enjoyed it. Maybe a little partying may have been their pre game warm up. Yellow sled seemed like he said hi to every kid at the game. He was all over the stands.
I think the present day mascot is a scholarship position that has no qualifications needed. I wonder who gets the money and do they even care if they and everyone else enjoys the game. The athletic dept. should have try outs for the position and have it be an honor to be the Ram instead of someone that is connected and gets paid.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA scholarship?

I am owed a shit load of money then.

Connected? How? It's called tell the athletic department you want to do it and they'll be grateful. It's never been professionals in the suit, it's been students. Unpaid volunteers.

I agree they should make it a paid position, but with what money?

I will say that the fun police did stifle a lot of awesome ideas like bringing a sled back to the football games, etc.

Old Rhody without pants sucked. Once we put shorts on him and shoulder pads under the suit, he was legit...but then we went with new rhody...
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If I'm recalling correctly, I think the kid in the Rhody suit gets something like $1,000 a season. It's not nothing, but as someone who wear one of those mascot suits in high school for about 10 minutes before wanting out, it's something I can't imagine a non-fan of the program doing. If they just wanted to make some cash, then working a soda stand at the Ryan Center probably pays more, and I imagine it's tough to even watch the game in that thing.
0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Its no longer one student who works as Rhody. Several different students don the costume for the games, some work multiple games. They get "paid" 25 dollars in scholarship money for each appearance. The link below explains the Rhody the Ram situation.

http://advance.uri.edu/alumni/rhody/ram.htm
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good stuff here but can we either rename or move this convo. I keep thinking I'm gonna see the new floor lol
0 x
GO RAMS
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I thought this is where I get mopped with my thoughts and comments about Lenny Wilkens!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by billyjack »

Long time lurker here, haven't posted in over a year, which was under a different name...
RISD grad from the 80's, allows me to be a Friars fan and Rams fan too (I don't follow the RISD Balls hoops team, nor the RISD Nads hockey team). :D :shock: :D
Grew up 3 miles from PC; for 20 years been in South County, and now live 6 miles from URI with wife and kids. Admittedly, I'm a PC fan first, but root for the Rams in all their other games and go to several games a year at the Ryan.

Anyway, thoughts on the floor, rivalries, colors, etc, just brainstorming off the top of my head here... maybe these are stupid, or maybe something will stick or spark some other ideas from other posters...

1. On the court, on the other side of midcourt from the CVS logo, the floor should have painted on it in large Keaney Blue block letters:
"RHODE
ISLAND'S
TEAM"

...go fully in to emphasize that URI is the state school of Rhode Island.

2. When PC plays at the Ryan, a non-slip decal should also be placed on the court reading:
"NEW ENGLAND'S
BEST RIVALRY"

RAMS
vs Friars

2a. Make agreement of some kind to have the Friars place the same thing on the Dunk floor, with black-and-white being the dominant colors.

3. Team uniforms should eliminate navy blue-- they should be the traditional Rhody colors of Keaney Blue with yellow (name it "Kingston Yellow" or "Narragansett Yellow") for the trim... like the state flag... recognizable colors and brand to Rhode Islanders as being "Rhode Island's Team"...

4. The court design:

4a. Keep the great current ram head logo which still looks cool.

4b. At center court, paint map of Rhode Island with each of the 39 towns painted in slightly-different varying shades of Keaney Blue... each town will have its abbreviation in its respective location. Johnston will have a "J" only, Little Compton will have an "L.C."... that idea... this way, each Rhode Islander who enjoys a game at the Ryan can see their town represented and it could help build an even stronger bond with the fans.

4c. At center court, paint an enormous anchor with the state motto "Hope" on it, like on our state flag.

4d. Go the route of George Washington, and on the floor have a skyline or silhouette of Rhode Island landmarks from throughout the state... so, include any combination of the old URI Admin Bldg, the Towers in Narragansett, the Providence Skyline, the Newport Bridge, the Newport Skyline, Beavertail Lighthouse, hey even seagulls, anything that is recognized as being a great Rhode Island landmark or from Rhode Island.

4e. Go the radical route of the Oregon Ducks floor, but instead of their floor that looks up at trees, have the Ryan Center floor painted to mimic the look of beach sand... the color will be similar to wood, so it won't be offensive... just kind of make it recognizable as being a mottled grainy sand pattern... then the sidelines and endlines can be blue to mimic the look of an ocean pattern with the white border mimicking whitecaps or waves at the shore...

5. Regarding the state of the A-10:
The A-10 is still an excellent conference with excellent teams. Fully invest in the rival schools in the A-10, and make a point to try not to dump on them. Some of these schools have and will be joined at our hips for years to come, because they are located in Big East cities and will not get Big East invitations... so as much as Fordham struggles, they will be with us for a long time...

These schools are probably going to be in the A-10 for a long time--->
from 1998 on, each of these schools has made a great NCAA run or at least had an outstanding season (like GWU), except for Fordham...
- Rhody
- St Joseph's
- LaSalle
- George Washington
- St Bonaventure (too rural)
- George Mason
- Fordham
- Davidson (too non-urban)
...but a combination of the other A-10 schools may leave the A-10 in the near future.

6. Conclusion:
Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post...! Hopefully these ideas aren't too weird...! I take the kids to the Ryan several times a year, and they like going and like Dan Hurley and his entertaining personality on the sideline... good times ahead very soon for the Rams for sure...! Great site here, which is why I constantly surf your threads though I hadn't posted in a while...
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"SORRY?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Sorry" is for when you kill someone or something or truly hurt someone in a brutal way. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) "I apologize" doesn't give you the self-imposed guilt-trip for Life!!!!!
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
By-the-way: I liked your post, billyjack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I saw the new floor design a few days ago, I'm a big fan. No more huge ram in the middle, two tone color design. Very simple and classy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:I saw the new floor design a few days ago, I'm a big fan. No more huge ram in the middle, two tone color design. Very simple and classy.
Is there a pic of it anywhere?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:Again, I want RHODE ISLAND to be prominent on the court. I actually would love for the school to rebrand itself sports wise as simply Rhode Island and use the URI or University of Rhode Island monikers less. Follow the lead of the University of Michigan. They never list the full school name for their sports teams. It is always MICHIGAN. I think using the name Rhode Island would better connect most RI state residents to the athletics programs.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I like your thinking RF1..
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Again, I want RHODE ISLAND to be prominent on the court. I actually would love for the school to rebrand itself sports wise as simply Rhode Island and use the URI or University of Rhode Island monikers less. Follow the lead of the University of Michigan. They never list the full school name for their sports teams. It is always MICHIGAN. I think using the name Rhode Island would better connect most RI state residents to the athletics programs.

+1

Jim Norman rarely said "URI."
It was always "Rhode Island."
The unis should always say "RHODE ISLAND."
BTW I don't bring Jim Norman up to dump on Steve,
that has nothing to do with it. It's just that I listened
to every game as a kid, so he was my first connection
with the Rams.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RF1, ElmCityRhody, and rhodyrudder: Awesome assessments! (AND AS BILLYBOY ASKED: WHERE CAN WE ACCESS A PHOTO??????????)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We need a picture of this friggen court its killin me lol
0 x
GO RAMS
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

keaney.blue has access that we don't have. I suspect it will be the RI logo in the banner at center court (reasonable size) and the rest will be a classic look (same color wood throughout with the lanes painted either navy like now or keaney blue)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like the rivalry branding by the RISD cat. Promoting the URI v PC Rivalry during this next period of each program being on top will help promote the game beyond the sellout crowds.

I also think the anchor should figure somewhere, if only a huge anchor on the way in the entrance outside. Most buildings on campus have an anchor on them above or around the door.

Photo of new floor?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

While I truly enjoyed billyjack's "ram-blings,", I strongly disagree with the highlighting of anything on URI's HOME-COURT that gives any other school one iota of regard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That school/team is the visitor, nothing more, nothing less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let ESPN, CBS, FOX1, etc., highlight the game as:

"NEW ENGLAND'S
BEST RIVALRY"
RAMS vs Friars

Do you believe other schools are going to put whatever effin' logo URI has on their courts?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

If so, I got a bridge to sell ya'! (Right, the Sakonnet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Screw PC. I don't want anything involving them on our floor.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Thanks, Billyboy! 8-)
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

Billyboy78 wrote:Screw PC. I don't want anything involving them on our floor.
That's cool. Definitely understand. I'm just throwing ideas out there. I had made the word "Friars" much smaller and puny, but I can see not wanting them at all. The idea is that the other team would do it on their court too.

What about other A-10 teams getting rivalry decals...? It might help promote the conference and its rivalries. On the road, the Rams name would be on the court too. Rhody has been playing UMass since at least 1946 I would guess... might be good to promote that at both the Ryan Center and the Mullin Center.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

twisted3829 wrote:keaney.blue has access that we don't have. I suspect it will be the RI logo in the banner at center court (reasonable size) and the rest will be a classic look (same color wood throughout with the lanes painted either navy like now or keaney blue)
I don't think I'm allowed to talk about it, but I'm sure the design will be revealed very soon. The color scheme is somewhat unexpected but it's a bold contrast to the conservative halfcourt logo.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Keaney.Blue !!! You're driving us crazy with this. I also hope they reveal the new design this month.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Great first post by billyjack. Welcome aboard, Billy. Or...Jack? Either way, welcome.

I do have to disagree with one thing you said, though. Navy blue is the school color. Traditionally, keaney blue hasn't been a school color, but it has rightfully been adopted after it was used for a long time by the athletic teams and should definitely always be incorporated in one way or another. Yellow, however, has never been a school color. It was briefly used in athletics, but really has no connection with the school. Our athletic programs should stick with keaney and navy, IMO. They used those colors together to make our best uniforms to date during the Harrick years, and that could easily be done again (and updated).

As far as the floor, I like what keaney.blue has to say. I was hoping for understated and classy. Looking forward to seeing the design.

Also in total agreement with RF1 about being RHODE ISLAND.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Keaney.Blue.. $20 has been sent to your inbox, between you and I, please elaborate :roll:
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

What is killing me more than the court design is that Keaney.Blue knows who I am, and I know I know them, but am not sure who it is. Somebody please end the mystery....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I won't out Keaney.Blue, but he certainly has a very unique perspective on Rhody Hoops compared to the rest of us.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

In reference to "Rivalry decals:" There's the A-10 logo at the foul lines, and I believe (could be very wrong…wouldn't be the first time!!!!!) that each A-10 school has a representative banner adorning the rafters. The "true point" is this: You don't want your effin' new floor to look like some 21st Century-version of "TWISTER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
(Oh, look: EMOTICONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

bressler3south wrote:In reference to "Rivalry decals:" There's the A-10 logo at the foul lines, and I believe (could be very wrong…wouldn't be the first time!!!!!) that each A-10 school has a representative banner adorning the rafters. The "true point" is this: You don't want your effin' new floor to look like some 21st Century-version of "TWISTER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
(Oh, look: EMOTICONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No worries brother... I'm just throwing some ideas out there... some are gonna be shot down worse than others...!
:) :shock: :D

And if you didn't like these ideas, I have a whole notebook of other ideas... I scratched out a couple of pages at the LaSalle game last year...
:shock:
Last edited by billyjack 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm appreciating the idea of bressler preaching on the benefits of minimalism.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

TY, A. 8-) :lol: 8-)
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Hell, billyjack, this is like listening to myself "talking with my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I appreciate the IDEAS!!!!!! :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol:
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I have a hunch ATP
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I dont want a friars decal on the floor either. I just like the idea of rivalry branding, more like the state of Oregon has the civil war or the big ten plays football for a trophy. OR, OR like URI playing brown for the governor's cup. We kind of just play PC and that is it. I would like it billed as more.

SHOW THE FLOOR! SHOW THE FLOOR! SHOW THE FLOOR!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I still believe that the state motto should be "First in war, last in peace," and I wouldn't mind seeing that on the floor somewhere.
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

Ok, here's another idea:

Instead of the students sections holding up Fatheads on sticks, which jumped the shark about 5 minutes after the first guy did it... instead, each student spends $14 bucks, buys a mask like you'll find on the Amazon link below and in the photo, puts it on during critical game situations, and yells at the opponents or the referees. My kids wore the pig mask and the chicken mask last Halloween, and they were getting compliments by everyone... these are realistic animal heads. So imagine a huge chunk of the crowd wearing these things.

I thought I had seen a ram mask at the store in Colorado where we bought them, but on-line here I can only find a horse, pig, chicken and squirrel. Ideally, everyone would buy a ram mask of course, but until one of those can be located, a horse is a close cousin and fellow undulate (I think). The key is that the ram mask is ideal for this use.

They masks can be used in different ways:

1. Since they can make your head hot while you wear them, fans keep them off until a terrible call is made by the ref... then the crowd throws these masks on a yells...

2. Fans put these on all game. Watch the action loudly or silently at times, and it will look like a real ram, which often stare intent at an object (like a deer or goat would-- again, it's an undulate thing). These things look real and freaky, and the Ryan Center crowd will make in on Sportscenter and FS Live. Also, compared to the morons at Cameron Indoor jumping up and down like on pogo sticks (which has also jumped the shark), this is a cutting edge idea that will start at the Ryan... when it goes viral around to other fanbases, remember that you heard it here first...!

LINK:
Horse Masks For Student Section

HORSE (IDEAL TIL WE FIND AN ACTUAL RAM):

PIG:

PIGEON:
Last edited by billyjack 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

A Frankenstein mask when St. joe's comes to visit would be perfect.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The floor, will have navy blue painted lanes, with navy blue borders, with the interlocking RI
at center court.
Nice and understated.
They had it on the season ticket renewal seating plan, and nowhere else.
Any talk about putting a reference to PC on our floor, is silly!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

rodfromcranston wrote:The floor, will have navy blue painted lanes, with navy blue borders, with the interlocking RI
at center court.
Nice and understated.
They had it on the season ticket renewal seating plan, and nowhere else.
Any talk about putting a reference to PC on our floor, is silly!
Welcome back!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Welcome back, Rod. Very glad to see you here where you BELONG.

What you describe regarding the new floor's design was what I was expecting as well.

Completely agree on having anything else not
1) Our Logo
2) A10 Logo
3) Court Sponsor (CVS Logos as of last season)
4) Frank Keaney

be off limits on our new court!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BillyJ
I guess the student section would be called the "FARM" if those masks are worn. :roll:

Welcome back Rod!!!!!
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I doubt they would leak the unveiling of the floor design through the season ticket renewal system
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

OF COURSE NOT, Roadyjay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
ONLY TO THE GREATEST DONORS, FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't want Providence College's name anywhere on the floor of the Ryan Center. I would however not mind seeing the rivalry game with them branded with a name and promoted more. The Xavier-Cincinnati game is called the Cross-Town Shootout. I think a unique name such as that would help the rivalry and better distinguish it from other rivalries.

How about something like the Rhode Rage?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

-The Rumble in Rhode Island
-Rhode Island Rumble
-Rhody Rumble
-Rod from Cranston Cup
-bressler3south bball bonanza
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Seperation of Church and State.....
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Hahaha. Perfect blueram!
0 x
billyjack
Frenchy Tomlin

RF1 wrote:I don't want Providence College's name anywhere on the floor of the Ryan Center. I would however not mind seeing the rivalry game with them branded with a name and promoted more. The Xavier-Cincinnati game is called the Cross-Town Shootout. I think a unique name such as that would help the rivalry and better distinguish it from other rivalries.

How about something like the Rhode Rage?
The players on the winning team can add a patch to their uniform... the patch can be a small star with the year of the victory... or I was going to suggest a star with the other team's colors but this board understandably doesn't want its rival's colors anywhere on the court or uniform I would guess.

Anyway, a senior could get as many as 4 of these over his 4 years in school (or 5 if he's a redshirt I guess)... this star thing would be like World Cup soccer uniforms ("kits"), which I think have a star for each title...

To make it a true state thing, Brown and Bryant could participate in this too... and RISD.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know about patches on the uniform, but a lot of college football teams give players some commemorative trinkets for rivalry games (I think they might get them win or lose, but not sure).
0 x