Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 weeks ago Foumena and Brown played 28 mpg. I don't think they brought this kid in to play 8.
Yeah, but Foumena and Brown played the 5. This kid is not a center.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago

I'm down with recruiting over the best player on the team every year. If you do it right, doesn't that mean you're getting better? I get waiting until May 1, but good grief, focus on better players and SETTLE for backups if you have to, don't have backups as the target.... :roll:
No it doesn't mean you're getting better. A better individual player wouldn't necessarily fit what we are trying to do. Yes you can always want better players, but this is a team sport and you want to keep guys for multiple years.

We aren't looking for starters at Green's position...yes he's a back up, but you need back ups. Even if we got someone that pushed Green out, you know what we would still need? Someone like Traore.

Now we have 3 guys that play Green's position, Green, a veteran in Traore with 2 years left and a freshman.
Um...if W got a starter at Green's position after May 1...why couldn't Green be that "needed" backup?
You’re not gonna keep a 3 pt 40% forward who drops 14 a game to be a backup. Green is definitely a starter and should be better this year.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 weeks ago Foumena and Brown played 28 mpg. I don't think they brought this kid in to play 8.
I see no reason why he can’t play the 5 in the A10. Super tough kid that battles every position. It will be nice to see someone come off the bench and out hustle everyone on the floor for a change. He won’t put up big numbers but I bet he can come in and do the little things that don’t always pop up on the stat sheet.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 weeks ago Someone said it before, URI basketball fan accounts are popping up everywhere on Twitter lol.
And they're drunk! And weeping! #trust
Like why the hell is this lol

Lol I love it
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe 8 minutes is a little low but this guy looks to be an 8th 9th type man on a good team so I wouldn’t expect him to average 12-15 minutes. If he’s supposed to be a 6th or 7th man then I wouldn’t be too thrilled
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 weeks ago
I see no reason why he can’t play the 5 in the A10. Super tough kid that battles every position. It will be nice to see someone come off the bench and out hustle everyone on the floor for a change. He won’t put up big numbers but I bet he can come in and do the little things that don’t always pop up on the stat sheet.
He would be undersized for sure at center, and especially when playing P5 teams. Still need another big man with height.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

8 schools in 8 years incoming.

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Shocked.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Very good addition by Richmond.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s like people forget Cyril and Berry were the 5 men on a tourney team. I’m guessing the staff sees him primarily for depth at 5 and secondarily for depth at the 4 spot. Tough for spacing if your 4 man can’t step outside and be a threat to shoot or put it on the floor. Not sure he’s shown much of that ability so far.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This signing does not move the needle for me at all.

If this is the best we can afford then we are truly screwed.

Of course it might not be all about money. Could be Archie just can't close the deal for better players.

Either way, not good.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

23% of transfers are using the extra covid year. It'll be interesting to see how that correlates to a drop in the transfer numbers next year. It's going to drop, the question is how much.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Narr9999 wrote: 2 weeks ago Give him a chaace as some others have said. Listen we don't know what he is going to be like at URI. He is coming down from the Big East to the A-10. He could be better due the talent level that he will play against. He could very good once he plays more minutes. Lets give these kids a break till we see them on the court. Sucks for a new kid to see the board and all the negative comments before he has put on the uniform
Good point.

He is 100% reading the board. This crew will tell you kids, coaches, reporters and their family don’t read KB forum.

They’re wrong. They read it. What they make of it who knows? But they read it.
What difference does it make, no big deal it's just a message board where fans spout off.
I hope he isn't that soft.
These players are now all paid professionals and free agents, last I looked there were over 1,900 players that entered the portal.
The term student-athlete is fast becoming an oxymoron, especially when it applies to football and basketball.

Besides nobody is really negative towards him, he just hasn't really done anything on the court yet in 3 years on a Div. 1 roster.
Hopefully he will contribute, we will see, most are hoping we can get a more proven piece that can also be a rim protector.
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Wilborn is someone I thought we would be showing interest in. 6’8” All-NEC Freshman forward from CT, who averaged 10.8 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists, and 1.6 blocks. A10 would be the perfect move up for him.

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 weeks ago This signing does not move the needle for me at all.

Of course it might not be all about money. Could be Archie just can't close the deal for better players.

Either way, not good.
It's clearly not the best we can afford since we already got two starters....He's a depth guy.

Still 4 spots available. This is a perfectly fine get for a back up at the 4. 3 years at St John's, great character guy, two years of eligibility remaining, looks plenty athletic.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago Wilborn is someone I thought we would be showing interest in. 6’8” All-NEC Freshman forward from CT, who averaged 10.8 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists, and 1.6 blocks. A10 would be the perfect move up for him.

Well he is undersized, so I'm sure we will be all over him 😑
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 weeks ago This signing does not move the needle for me at all.

Either way, not good.
Archie has already brought in better in Lawrence, so saying that Traore is the best we can do doesn't make much sense.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

From NY and played prep in New England. Between Duane or Austin, there must be a connection somewhere.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago Wilborn is someone I thought we would be showing interest in. 6’8” All-NEC Freshman forward from CT, who averaged 10.8 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists, and 1.6 blocks. A10 would be the perfect move up for him.

He is a player I would be extremely excited about especially with 3-years eligibility.
He is from Ct, that may help, but plenty of competition for him.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago From NY and played prep in New England. Between Duane or Austin, there must be a connection somewhere.

Probably above our pay scale, guessing he goes to a Major.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago Maybe 8 minutes is a little low but this guy looks to be an 8th 9th type man on a good team so I wouldn’t expect him to average 12-15 minutes. If he’s supposed to be a 6th or 7th man then I wouldn’t be too thrilled
Reef, no criticism here, just a general observation: it is difficult to predict minutes several months out with the roster still not set.

Regarding Traore, going by Bill Koch’s description, Traore is a physical player that can play in the paint or on the perimeter. That intel had to come from SJU or our staff most likely.

I don’t know much about Traore but going by BK it appears he can play multiple positions some wing, some power 4 and some 5 for us depending on the game situation, injuries, foul trouble, etc. How well he can play all three positions for us on O and on D is open to debate since he didn’t get a huge amount of game time at SJU.

That being said, and again - with the potential he can play multiple positions for us depending on game situations - his PT numbers could swing between 8 to 20 from one game to the next, imho. But, as always, we shall see what comes of this.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Did I miss the post regarding Brayon Freeman leaving Coastal Carolina?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bos8 wrote: 2 weeks ago Did I miss the post regarding Brayon Freeman leaving Coastal Carolina?
Earlier on this page by SmartyBarrett, but posting again. (Sometimes X / Twitter links load really slow now; this is more of a "them" thing than an "us" thing, happens all the time on another message board I'm on.) Writing seemed on the wall, since he only played four games for Coastal Carolina this year.

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

This is unfortunate. I don’t like seeing potential go unfulfilled in sports, but it happens.

The young man has talent and should be getting better. I guess there’s a disconnect between his basketball talent, physical talent and his soft skills (taking direction, taking criticism, self-discipline, clear out-going communication, etc) that he is unable to resolve ?

Time is running out for him.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

So many young players let the 6 inches between their ears get in the way of their 94 ft.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago From NY and played prep in New England. Between Duane or Austin, there must be a connection somewhere.

Do the Ivy's pay the nil?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Do the Ivy's pay the nil?
Not directly and they aren't allowed to have " Collectives".
But the athletes are allowed to profit from NIL.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Can I offer. Tyson, Zek, Rory, couldn’t sniff a BE roster. That alone is an upgrade to me. No?
Is DePaul still in the B.E.?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Think so. Did I double dribble here?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

Shot in the dark here with too much time on my hands but Chris Conway from Oakland is followed by new AC. Again it is totally "reading the tea leaves" and I have no inside info or intel we are tied to him but could fit our undersized center MO. Is an inside back to the basket type player.

3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hmmmm.🤔

I watched half the video and he grabbed my attention. Will have to look into him more.

Good catch, Jakepnickers.

ETA: Looks like he has one year left (listed as a Sr). Last season: averaged 10 pts last season, shot 54% from 2, not a 3 pt shooter, 4.1 rebounds a game and less than 1 block a Gm. Looks like he averaged under 30 min/gm.

At first glance: Nice touch around the rim but unimpressive rebounding and block numbers. Personally, I would prefer we grab a better rebounder/shot blocker if available. Definitely a player to keep an eye on, however.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

jakepnickers wrote: 2 weeks ago Shot in the dark here with too much time on my hands but Chris Conway from Oakland is followed by new AC. Again it is totally "reading the tea leaves" and I have no inside info or intel we are tied to him but could fit our undersized center MO. Is an inside back to the basket type player.

I noticed the same about his Twitter follows. He did just enter the portal too. I would be happy with him as a perspective addition.

He had 15 pts and 7 rebounds versus Xavier. He also held his own in the NCAA tourney versus Kentucky and NC State.

He did get a decent amount of blocks towards the end of the year too. If you look at kenpom he is listed as nationally ranked for block%
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I Am in. Like the back to basket play(yes outdated)maybe to pass back out to the perimeter for bombs away
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff, sevegny7.

I didn’t get the same impression as you looking quickly at his stats. That said, I like your’s better. :D
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago I Am in. Like the back to basket play(yes outdated)maybe to pass back out to the perimeter for bombs away
He has a nice looking jump hook with a nice touch, 105. 👍🏼

If we are after him, can close him and he could give us solid additional rebounding, be a rim protection threat and give us timely post scoring then, that would be a win. Good 5 tandem with Fuchs, potentially.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Good stuff, sevegny7.

I didn’t get the same impression as you looking quickly at his stats. That said, I like your’s better. :D
Yeah I don't think he is the next coming of hassan Martin or anything like that. Just noticed they ranked him in kenpom for it.

He had 3 blocks vs Milwaukee and 4 blocks against IPFW....2 against Wright st and Robert morris.Morris. in final 8 games.

I think he will be better than what we have had. But don't expect him to get multiple blocks every game
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, Whitford is a midwest guy. It appears that he's recruiting Conway and Elijah Jones. Both Conway and Jones are from Illinois.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

That creaking background noise some of us are hearing is the portal door closing…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago That creaking background noise some of us are hearing is the portal door closing…….
29 hours to go
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago
section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago I Am in. Like the back to basket play(yes outdated)maybe to pass back out to the perimeter for bombs away
He has a nice looking jump hook with a nice touch, 105. 👍🏼

If we are after him, can close him and he could give us solid additional rebounding, be a rim protection threat and give us timely post scoring then, that would be a win. Good 5 tandem with Fuchs, potentially.
Can we afford him? Of course, not knowing what other bigs are in the narrowing pipeline, nor anything else, Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The 5? What is that? URI played 3 guards, two bigs.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago This is unfortunate. I don’t like seeing potential go unfulfilled in sports, but it happens.

The young man has talent and should be getting better. I guess there’s a disconnect between his basketball talent, physical talent and his soft skills (taking direction, taking criticism, self-discipline, clear out-going communication, etc) that he is unable to resolve ?

Time is running out for him.

That’s what they in the biz call a ‘dip shit’
1 x
:lol:
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I would imagine a name to keep an eye on - now followed on Twitter by our new assistant coach - is Bent Leuchten - 7'1 UC Irvine transfer from Germany that is being recruited by Missouri, Xavier, VCU, Oregon State, and more...

Former teammate of David Fuchs in Germany
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote: 2 weeks ago I would imagine a name to keep an eye on - now followed on Twitter by our new assistant coach - is Bent Leuchten - 7'1 UC Irvine transfer from Germany that is being recruited by Missouri, Xavier, VCU, Oregon State, and more...

Nil-free 👍
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 2 weeks ago I would imagine a name to keep an eye on - now followed on Twitter by our new assistant coach - is Bent Leuchten - 7'1 UC Irvine transfer from Germany that is being recruited by Missouri, Xavier, VCU, Oregon State, and more...

Another 7-footer to maybe keep an eye on is Javonte Brown who started out at UConn, then Texas A&M, and lastly at Western Mi.
He was a 4* from Ontario, Canada.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A 7 footer would be wonderful.
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

but is he mr wonderful ?

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Look at Szymon Zapala too. Former Utah State and Longwood.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 weeks ago A 7 footer would be wonderful.
A 7 footer who can run and rebound, that is.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!