Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago I mentioned that a week ago...if the players have agents, why don't the schools have GMs? Who deals with the agents for Rhody? Arch? Thorr? Stone? Parlange? Stevie?
I am gonna take stab at this. Arch, no. Thorr, no but retains final approval brought to him by Stone. Stone initial and direct dealing with players/agents, Parlange, no. Arch makes the call on players he wants. Sound reasonable ? and whoever it is has to be able act quickly.
So...Stone is making contact with players before Arch?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago I mentioned that a week ago...if the players have agents, why don't the schools have GMs? Who deals with the agents for Rhody? Arch? Thorr? Stone? Parlange? Stevie?
I am gonna take stab at this. Arch, no. Thorr, no but retains final approval brought to him by Stone. Stone initial and direct dealing with players/agents, Parlange, no. Arch makes the call on players he wants. Sound reasonable ? and whoever it is has to be able act quickly.
So...Stone is making contact with players before Arch?
Mmmmmmmm,, maybe. Arch says get me player X?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Could be wrong here, but I recall someone posted 70ish? Of bigs in the portal.
https://247sports.com/season/2024-baske ... ncommitted

Here's the list. A bunch of guys left.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Quickly and with stealth. Don’t want to take the risk of Rhody Vault pulling a Tre Mitchell
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
Quickly and with stealth. Don’t want to take the risk of Rhody Vault pulling a Tre Mitchell
To use the Bill Parcells analogy, Archie shops for the groceries, Stone pays at checkout?
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BattleTested »

Maybe the new guy filling the Kenny Johnson vacancy? ECR? Rambone78? You?
I believe it is Stone and Benny
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BattleTested wrote: 2 weeks ago
Maybe the new guy filling the Kenny Johnson vacancy? ECR? Rambone78? You?
I believe it is Stone and Benny
IMG_3342.jpeg
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I feel like this is being made unnecessarily difficult to understand. Nothing really changed except that players have a legal bank of money to get paid from.

Coaches still scout/recruit players they want. They talk about all manner of things - playing time, playing style, goals, life, etc. I'm sure in the course of these conversations, now legally, how much they're looking for financially is brought up.

Just because there's legal money to be made doesn't mean no one recruits for fit/style/ability etc. Just like when it's a job you're hunting for you're not going to interview for doctor's jobs if you don't have medical experience. If you're a sales guy, you probably interview for a bunch of different sales jobs based on fit/skills/match and then you talk salary range to see if it's worth pursuing.

I am sure the coaching staff is aware of the budget that the collective has, and has an idea of what they can spend per player, per position, etc.

Just like in the past, if there's an extenuating circumstance of some absurd player who would be a great fit if the money were right, then Arch picks up the phone and calls Tom and asks if we can find more funding.

It feels like people are intentionally diluting themselves to make this a significantly more complex problem than it is.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Do people really think Stone Freeman, someone with absolutely ZERO collegiate coaching or recruiting experience, is reaching out to prospective transfers before anyone else?
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago
I feel like this is being made unnecessarily difficult to understand. Nothing really changed except that players have a legal bank of money to get paid from.

Coaches still scout/recruit players they want. They talk about all manner of things - playing time, playing style, goals, life, etc. I'm sure in the course of these conversations, now legally, how much they're looking for financially is brought up.

Just because there's legal money to be made doesn't mean no one recruits for fit/style/ability etc. Just like when it's a job you're hunting for you're not going to interview for doctor's jobs if you don't have medical experience. If you're a sales guy, you probably interview for a bunch of different sales jobs based on fit/skills/match and then you talk salary range to see if it's worth pursuing.

I am sure the coaching staff is aware of the budget that the collective has, and has an idea of what they can spend per player, per position, etc.

Just like in the past, if there's an extenuating circumstance of some absurd player who would be a great fit if the money were right, then Arch picks up the phone and calls Tom and asks if we can find more funding.

It feels like people are intentionally diluting themselves to make this a significantly more complex problem than it is.
Actually, since I'm sure people are going to cry AMATEURISM IS DEAD or WHAT HAPPENED TO COLLEGE SPORTS (while deploying the cognitive dissonance and naivety to pretend no players were ever getting paid before or that P5's have always had a leg up on facilities, etc) - this is literally no different than how most people go to college.

You look at a bunch of schools. Maybe you look at where your friends go, the teams your rooted for as a kid, maybe the activities, maybe you know someone that works there, maybe your family went there, etc, etc, etc. Then what's the next conversation? HOW MUCH FINANCIAL AID AM I GETTING? If it's not enough, but everything else fits, maybe you look to find a job.

Unless you're a D1 athlete, and you literally do not have time for a job.

And just so we're clear for the "the scholarship should be enough" camp - 99.9% of everyone else at school isn't doing anything to actually make the school any money. The basketball players can literally make the schools tens of thousands to millions of dollars based on their performance.

All of the other kids on academic scholarships can do what they want in their free time. No additional practice schedules. No traveling for games. No requirement for early morning or late night practices crammed around class schedules. Nope, literally working to make the university more money and more visible for prospective students, all while having no ability to make money outside of their sport without something like NIL.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obviously he hasn't played much so it's hard to know what kind of an impact he'll have. But seeing stuff like this is at least encouraging. We need a couple of these types of guys badly.

“You need one, two or three of those types of people on a basketball team, and Drissa is the consummate culture person,” Pitino told the New York Post in December. “It’s all about the team, whether he gets in or doesn’t get in, he’s going to be the best cheerleader on the bench.”
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 2 weeks ago
6’8 with a 40% 3 point shot and Big East experience. Perfect wing depth for Green.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

6’8 with a 40% 3 point shot and Big East experience. Perfect wing depth for Green.
He made 7 three pointers in 2 years at St. John's. And if you think he's a shooter, he shot 30% on free throws(3-10). Small sample size for both, but I wouldn't say shooting is a strength.
Last edited by Billyboy78 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Abdul Fox

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

he was only 6 for 15 from 3 so i wouldnt get to excited about the percentage. He was also 3 for 10 from free throw line
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Traore was way down the list of guys I wanted.. He plays hard and seems to be a good person in the locker room but it doesn't excite me much. Let's see what happens.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I love a good culture guy. I'll be cheering him on.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Come on man, you're better than this. Can't post "40% 3 point shot" without context.

He was 6-15 this past season on 3s. Those 3s were in blowouts against Michigan, Sacred Heart, Fordham, Xavier, Villanova.

Went 1-6 in his freshman year, with the make coming in a blowout against Creighton.

7-21 for his career from 3.

He's made zero meaningful 3s in his career.

3-10 for his career from the FT line.

A terrible shooter by all accounts.
1 x
Go Rhody
PowderBlueButBetter
Abdul Fox

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

Could be a fine bench piece, but i would still really like a big that could make an instant impact. Atiki Ally Atiki from BYU or Mohamed Wague from Alabama

I have no knowledge of us even contacting them, just my dream commitments
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If he can rebound, play some defense, and be the hard working type player that Pitino described then that's good enough for me. Still more work to be done to finish off the roster.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cmon. You must be joking! Is this how it is going to go on everyone who commits here? How about let’s see what he can do and give him a chance go compete in the front court. He wasn’t highly rated coming out of High School. No one really knows how he will perform here. A complete guess
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

as a fan (not an owner) i hope he works out and helps with a lot of victories to our beloved rams
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

lmao. This is so wild.

This is a player who is expected to play 8 mins a night at most. He is bench depth. Are we not allowed to say incendiary phrases like "perfect wing depth?"

Are we really nitpicking bench players now?

Just so I can keep up - I heard it wasn't cool to look in depth at America East players, definitely wasn't fashionable to watch highlight packages or whole games - but now skimming the stats for guys who will not be in competition for major minutes is also wrong?

This fanbase is so incredible.

There will be more posts responding to me grabbing a stat about an end of the rotation guy, then there will being happy that we added WING DEPTH (meaning he will be on the bench) of an upperclassman from a P6 school who played for a HOF coach.

Like...are we even URI fans? Some of you are so God damn miserable that I'm not sure you'd know how to be happy. If Archie gets us back to the tournament most of you should keep your mouths shut because you'll just find ways to explain how we should all be miserable regardless. Holy shit find another hobby some of you.
9 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

agreed.. i think we should be more positive

i hope he works out

we all want to win !

GO RHODY
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ok...we get it....y'all want "bigs"....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I have no beef with this signing, welcome aboard.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm cool with it.

I would not be cool with it if they expect to play him as the 5.

Him backing up Green makes sense though. Guy that comes in, plays hard, two years at a Big East achool and is a good teammate. I figured we would get someone like that. Doubted we add anybody that would challenge Green for minutes.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm cool with it.

Him backing up Green makes sense though. Guy that comes in, plays hard, two years at a Big East achool and is a good teammate. I figured we would get someone like that. Doubted we add anybody that would challenge Green for minutes.
So, do you think they just are not looking at players that are better than what's on the team currently?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 2 weeks ago Could be a fine bench piece, but i would still really like a big that could make an instant impact. Atiki Ally Atiki from BYU or Mohamed Wague from Alabama

Well they could be in play.

We bess not have Traore backing up Fuchs, so we could (should) pick up two guys that can play center.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago
PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 2 weeks ago Could be a fine bench piece, but i would still really like a big that could make an instant impact. Atiki Ally Atiki from BYU or Mohamed Wague from Alabama

We bess not have Traore backing up Fuchs, so we could (should) pick up two guys that can play center.
0.0% chance a 6'8 215 lb kid is playing center
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like it. I’m sure he’ll battle and could be a great fit. Played against great competition. Played for a good Johnnies squad so his minutes will go up.

Edit-Still need length in the paint. Hope that’s next.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think his comp is more Cyril Langevine as a ceiling. His physical profile is quite similar. Cyril too was ranked around 280 coming out of high school. Similarly built. I think we’d all sign up for that if he gets to that level of production. If Cyril went Big East instead of A10 he’d have had similar stats at this point.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm cool with it.

So, do you think they just are not looking at players that are better than what's on the team currently?
Not for Green's position. Why shouldn't they feel good about him? Who could they get that is better? What about team chemistry? Do you not want to keep a core group of your better plays to develop a team around?

Lawrence is better than anyone on the team. Bassy pushed Luis out. We've upgraded the roster and as far as small forwards go, we addressed that with Traore.

I hope we are looking for a 1b to Fuchs though. I'm with you there. Not just a back up guy. Need someone that can push Fuchs for minutes, because you don't want just one good big. 1 guy that could potentially be better and one depth guy.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I didn’t realize this team was so stacked we were looking for players to play 8 min a game and be good in the locker room. We should be top 25, A10 champs and dancing next season!

How about getting better players than what you have on a lousy team and then what you have becomes the backups?
Last edited by RIFan 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I wouldn’t say 0. I could see a situation where he is the 5 at times - depends who else we bring in. He was used to spell Soriano I’m pretty sure. Don’t forget Archie once had 6’5 Kendall Pollard at the 5 spot. If a guy can defend the position, rebound and be a paint presence undersized Centers have done well in our league.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 weeks ago

I wouldn’t say 0. I could see a situation where he is the 5 at times - depends who else we bring in. He was used to spell Soriano I’m pretty sure. Don’t forget Archie once had 6’5 Kendall Pollard at the 5 spot. If a guy can defend the position, rebound and be a paint presence undersized Centers have done well in our league.
That's what I'm afraid of...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BAR is noted for his hate of 0.0% chance. 😀
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I just don't get the idea why, with hundreds of players out there, there is any thought on getting bench guys. They should be looking for guys that can start...until there is an established group of successful starters (as indicated by Ws and Ls, not "feelz")
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If you can’t upgrade this roster then we are in trouble.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago If you can’t upgrade this roster then we are in trouble.
We have.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 2 weeks ago I love a good culture guy. I'll be cheering him on.
What's our culture?

Or is he bringing his own?
2 x
:lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Out of necessity. That Dayton team had 6 scholarship players available when they made that tourney run. Both their 6'9 starting center and 6'9 backup center got kicked off the team in December for robbing dorm rooms. Pollard most definitely wasn't recruited as their center.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You guys are OK with getting backups for guys who finished in 12th place in the A10? That's what our new practice facility and increase in NIL money gets us? Wow, expectations have become really low.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago You guys are OK with getting backups for guys who finished in 12th place in the A10? That's what our new practice facility and increase in NIL money gets us? Wow, expectations have become really low.
Yes, they have. Although I do not think we are by any means done yet.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago

BAR is noted for his hate of 0.0% chance. 😀
See this is the lighthearted content we need more of from you. We know you’re capable.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I didn’t realize this team was so stacked we were looking for players to play 8 min a game and be good in the locker room. We should be top 25, A10 champs and dancing next season!

How about getting better players than what you have on a lousy team and then what you have becomes the backups?
I mean there's a couple of things.

1) everyone is looking to portal so you have to be delicate these days in who you go after and when you go after them. If you recruit someone clearly better than Fuchs AND announce it before the May 1 portal deadline - what's to stop him from leaving?

2) if you recruit over players every year with transfers, you risk the whole "starting over" thing with a brand new roster and it's clear that doesn't work. Obviously Archie values Fuchs and saw enough in him earlier in the year (when a lot of us were questioning it) and he wants Fuchs as his guy in the middle.

3) you have 13 spots on a team. There are 5 players on the floor at a time. In reality, you have to recruit guys for the bottom of your bench as well.

With #3 specifically, are we not supposed to be the least bit excited for a kid who wants to play for our team...specifically a guy who probably knows he's not coming in to play a lot of minutes? So the collective reaction here is to shit on him? With the way a lot of posters are talking, I thought playing for Archie was supposed to suck and no one wanted to do it so shouldn't we be thrilled anyone wants to come to Kingston? Especially to play in front of this super awesome, knowledgeable, and supportive fanbase?

Sorry Arch couldn't get Donovan Clingan to forego the NBA draft and get him to transfer here.

I feel like I say it a lot. But the overwhelming majority of this fanbase blows.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago Like...are we even URI fans? Some of you are so God damn miserable that I'm not sure you'd know how to be happy. If Archie gets us back to the tournament most of you should keep your mouths shut because you'll just find ways to explain how we should all be miserable regardless. Holy shit find another hobby some of you.
I'm convinced we could win the national championship and there would be posts the next morning about why it's actually a bad thing and we're screwed for the future or something.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago You guys are OK with getting backups for guys who finished in 12th place in the A10? That's what our new practice facility and increase in NIL money gets us? Wow, expectations have become really low.
We finished 11th.

I mean does anyone have any perspective on here?

We already got two starters (conveniently ignored right now) Lawrence was better than anyone on the roster and we upgraded at PG.

Land one guy that fills a need because we need depth behind David Green.

Should Green not be the starter? Do we have to recruit over everyone every year until we catch lightning in a bottle?

Literally everyone gets depth guys. Heaven forbid Archie believe in David Green who practically had to carry the team at times. Who tf was going to come in here to split time with Green? Why would Green stay if we got someome as good or better? Why even look? How is he not good enough?
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago Like...are we even URI fans? Some of you are so God damn miserable that I'm not sure you'd know how to be happy. If Archie gets us back to the tournament most of you should keep your mouths shut because you'll just find ways to explain how we should all be miserable regardless. Holy shit find another hobby some of you.
I'm convinced we could win the national championship and there would be posts the next morning about why it's actually a bad thing and we're screwed for the future or something.
1000% accurate.
1 x