Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’d like an international big. One that can play above the rim, preferably, because Green (when/if he plays the 4) and Fuchs aren’t quick leapers or play above the rim.

Fuchs doesn’t have any buddies in Europe that can help us out ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago I’d like an international big. One that can play above the rim, preferably, because Green (when/if he plays the 4) and Fuchs aren’t quick leapers or play above the rim.
That make$ $en$e....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Dino611 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Call me crazy but I feel like Archie is having a hard time tryna to sell a spot on the roster that will only take bench minutes
Not so sure that is the case.
After finishing in the bottom tier the last few seasons, bring in the best players you can and have an open competition for rotation minutes.
It isn't as if our team is loaded with stars, although we may not find better than what is already here, with the resources we have left.

Aside from the portal I wouldn't be shocked if they are also looking at some international recruits or even here that are still looking for a home.
good $trategy....
Ye$ it i$
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Needs big that can run the floor, Fuchs isn’t exactly fast?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Yes 22, I posted earlier that was what I was hearing.

Also heard that Texas Tech is a possible landing spot for him.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago As expected, Anya commits to SLU.
I would have liked him here, not far to go from Brown, oh well.

Would have liked to see him here too. Has a connection to SLU assistant Antone Gray.
Was URI in on Anya? Feels like this a recruiting battle Archie should be in on and winning but we’re not….
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 weeks ago

Would have liked to see him here too. Has a connection to SLU assistant Antone Gray.
Was URI in on Anya? Feels like this a recruiting battle Archie should be in on and winning but we’re not….
Yes, they did reach out.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Yes 22, I posted earlier that was what I was hearing.

Also heard that Texas Tech is a possible landing spot for him.
It’s officially announced. Trilly dropped the info last night
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Dayton really needs to reload. Kobe Elvis, Berea, this guy, Holmes (going pro?); that’s a lot of talent.

Am I missing anyone else ?

What has Grant grabbed from the portal so far ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Dayton really needs to reload. Kobe Elvis, Berea, this guy, Holmes (going pro?); that’s a lot of talent.

Holmes is still in play for a return.

PG Malachi Smith returns flowing his season ending injury in the early minutes of last season’s 1st game

Zed Key is a key transfer - 6’8”

Rothstein has Dayton #33 in his preseason poll - did not include Santos departure.

Santos was a pleasant surprise for Dayton transferring in from Pittsburgh. Made 3rd Team All A-10. Good for him to go to Texas Tech where they have a humongous ocean of NIL - $mart!!
IMG_3332.jpeg
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago

PG Malachi Smith returns flowing his season ending injury in the early minutes of last season’s 1st game

Rothstein has Dayton #33 in his preseason poll - did not include Santos departure.

IMG_3332.jpeg
They also recently added (F) Jacob Conner from Marshall.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Santos was a pleasant surprise for Dayton transferring in from Pittsburgh. Made 3rd Team All A-10. Good for him to go to Texas Tech where they have a humongous ocean of NIL - $mart!!

IMG_3332.jpeg
Good stuff, Ramster. Thanks. 👍🏼
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_3332.jpeg
Jdrums,
Thus article is from last July from the Dallas Morning News. Texas Tech has $8 million NIL for all sports.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas ... utType=amp
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Yes, they did reach out.
I’m going to try not to overreact to this commitment but I’m going to overreact to this commitment. Why can’t Archie close on a big man who is in our backyard and going to our conference opponent? If we were a team on the ascension, Archie and co close on this guy and we sell him on a tournament vision. Instead we’re going into year 3 and we can’t get off the fucking runway. I was the first guy to suggest Archie as the next coach following Cox but my god have the results been underwhelming. Should we just keep lying to ourselves and saying “stealth mode” or “Archie said we’ll be good when we’re good”. Archie has been slow to adjust to the new landscape and seems to be caught flat footed a lot of time. This is a big year. We have no momentum under Archie. Is he going to get us off the fucking runway or are we just going to play out the contract?
Last edited by STC 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

IMG_3332.jpeg
Jdrums,
Thus article is from last July from the Dallas Morning News. Texas Tech has $8 million NIL for all sports.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas ... utType=amp
Thanks, Ramster.

Almost $3.2 mil for basketball the first 2 yrs for TX Tech. Texas A&M likely even higher. That will only go up from there. Quite the NIL arms race going on in TX and everywhere else.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Why? Why? (Not coming here)Not specifically related to any particular player or situation. Not in any particular order; NIL and packline. Have at it.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does the last guy into the Portal turn out the lights?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EDIT:

Completely wrong player I was referring to here. Carry on.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago So, the portal slams shut May 1? It's like the trading deadline date in name your professional sport, combined with musical chairs.
There needs to be a cool name for it... Maybe, "don't let the door hit ya" Day?

If I understand correctly, the 'outflow' of players stops? From then until the season starts, teams will only gain, but not lose players?

Above says 1,875 in the portal, is that just everyone that has entered? Including those that have since signed somewhere?
If so, anyone have any idea how many portalees have signed?

Good questions

And if a player enters the Portal but then decides to return to his school does he count in the 1,875?

How many of the 1,875 are available right now?
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Yes, they did reach out.
Why can’t Archie close on a big man who is in our backyard and going to our conference opponent?
I'm beginning to think it's because we have sucked for years now, and we don't have the scratch to keep up. Could be wrong hopefully.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good one. Is there a cool name for this yet? One befitting portalpalooza? Shirley, there has to be one out there somewhere...
It's been like a two way vortex with players (kinda) moving both ways (all different ways) until May 1. Call it, the Day the Music Stops? Or, maybe it's the Day the Music Starts....cause all those dudes be looking for a landing spot, knowing exactly what they're getting into... Did I read somewhere here that there's no end date to when someone can sign on?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good one. Is there a cool name for this yet? One befitting portalpalooza? Shirley, there has to be one out there somewhere...
It's been like a two way vortex with players (kinda) moving both ways (all different ways) until May 1. Call it, the Day the Music Stops? Or, maybe it's the Day the Music Starts....cause all those dudes be looking for a landing spot, knowing exactly what they're getting into... Did I read somewhere here that there's no end date to when someone can sign on?
And what happens if somebody enters the portal at 11:59pm May 1st but the computer is do overloaded with last minute entries that the entry clocks in at 12:03am May 2?

Is there a committee monitoring the last entry guys?

And yes the last entry is May 1 to the Portal but a guy can join a team anytime thereafter as long as he enters by May 1. My guess is Jalen Carey is still out in last year’s Portal and still has a year of eligibility left.
Last edited by ramster 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yes, they did reach out.
I’m going to try not to overreact to this commitment but I’m going to overreact to this commitment. Why can’t Archie close on a big man who is in our backyard and going to our conference opponent? If we were a team on the ascension, Archie and co close on this guy and we sell him on a tournament vision. Instead we’re going into year 3 and we can’t get off the fucking runway. I was the first guy to suggest Archie as the next coach following Cox but my god have the results been underwhelming. Should we just keep lying to ourselves and saying “stealth mode” or “Archie said we’ll be good when we’re good”. Archie has been slow to adjust to the new landscape and seems to be caught flat footed a lot of time. This is a big year. We have no momentum under Archie. Is he going to get us off the fucking runway or are we just going to play out the contract?
Im fine with the offseason so far.

Our two best freshmen look to be staying: Fuchs and Cam.

In my opinion, our two best players from last year, House and Green, are staying.

Losing Hammond definitely hurts, but we responded by bringing back a much-improved Bassy. If we had brought in the leading scorer of the American East and his name wasn’t Sebastian Thomas, I think more people would love the acquisition. I believe in Bassy; all he’s done is get better and better every year. I think he’s a better fit for this roster than Luis and will make a bigger impact.

We land what I consider to be Archie’s best get in Lawerence. I believe he will be the first all-conference player we have had in years, likely 3rd team.

Until we see our final roster, I’m not going to overreact to players like Anya going to St. Louis.

Now, if we do a bad job rounding out the roster, I’ll have concerns, but let’s see what happens. There are plenty of good players available, plenty. And I’m only talking about the transfer portal. Who knows if we could land a player like Fuchs again?
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Still plenty of time to get a couple decent big guys to compete for rotation minutes, the portal isn’t even closed yet , I’m optimistic
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We still have 5 spots available

I would have thought we would have added a couple more by now.

If we end up filling those positions with lower level leftovers, it's the last 2 years all over again.

As I said before, we might have a .500 team next season as it stands right now.

We need better. It's not good enough imo.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is everyone just waiting at this point, til no one can leave?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Bone, it has been a slow portal season for us compared to last year. Although, I really like the Lawrence addition - potentially (will have to wait until he plays games for us before knowing) easily Archie’s best addition to date, imho.

But we need at least one more good big - or, at least good on D - because we are very thin in the front court. I would like to add 2 in case of injury, however.

Another rotation wing wouldn’t hurt either - like the 6-8” Greek from UConn. I know he couldn’t break into the lineup ( evidently due to his D per Ace?) but he played for DH so has to be a hard worker with a good attitude. Plus he practiced everyday against top talent at UConn and held his own per Stevey’s UConn friends. He can evidently shoot the 3 at a high rate and, you can never have too many good 3 shooters with the way the game is played now.

After all that above, we would still have 2 spots but those last two likely won’t matter much unless we get hit with a bad injury bug.

Despite laying all that out above, I am not too confident today because it has been so quiet regarding names, visits, etc. We will see what tomorrow and this week brings but with each passing day of no news, my concern for not adding another difference maker or two goes up.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago So, the portal slams shut May 1? It's like the trading deadline date in name your professional sport, combined with musical chairs.

If I understand correctly, the 'outflow' of players stops? From then until the season starts, teams will only gain, but not lose players?

Above says 1,875 in the portal, is that just everyone that has entered? Including those that have since signed somewhere?

Good questions

And if a player enters the Portal but then decides to return to his school does he count in the 1,875?

Ramster, recent count tonight is that 1,146 players are still available.

The 1,875 that entered includes walk-ons plus players that returned to their team.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Bone, it has been a slow portal season for us compared to last year. Although, I really like the Lawrence addition - potentially ( will have to wait until he plays game for us before knowing) Archie’s best addition to date.

But, imho, we need at least one more good big - or, at least good on D - because we are very thin in the front court. I would like to add 2 in case of injury, however.

Another rotation wing wouldn’t hurt either - like the 6-8” Greek from UConn. I know he couldn’t break into the lineup ( evidently due to his D ) but he played for DH so has to be a hard worker with a good attitude. Plus he practiced everyday against top talent at UConn and held his own per Stevey’s UConn friends. He can evidently shoot the 3 at a high rate, which wouldn’t hurt.

After all that above, we still have 2 spots but those last two likely won’t matter much unless we get hit with a bad injury bug.

Despite laying that out above, I am not too confident today because it has been so quiet regarding names, visits, etc. that I am anxious. We will see what tomorrow and this week brings.
Set sights higher....instead of saying, fill two last spots that likely won't matter...why aren't we just assuming we already have the end of the bench/won't matter guys already on the roster? Go after guys that are better than what's here...why settle to 'provide depth'? To this...?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good point, NYG. Posted like a true GM. 👍🏼
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Because that’s what we do here, settle for leftovers, get meh players at best, the lightning in a bottle train does not make many stops to Kingston Station. Side note, dear friend of mine, got off the train from Chicago, in 1968, enrolled in URI, with no prior visits, got off the train and said, what the hell I have done……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 weeks ago We still have 5 spots available

If we end up filling those positions with lower level leftovers, it's the last 2 years all over again.

Agree. They have nothing in the front court and although people want to talk about the depth in the backcourt the remaining guys weren’t really that good as seen by the last place finish. Whether they are under .500 or a few games over doesn’t mean a thing as you no longer build a team for the future, but rather start from scratch every year
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Need

Bigs

Give me bigs or give me death!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 2 weeks ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 weeks ago We still have 5 spots available

Agree. They have nothing in the front court and although people want to talk about the depth in the backcourt the remaining guys weren’t really that good as seen by the last place finish. Whether they are under .500 or a few games over doesn’t mean a thing as you no longer build a team for the future, but rather start from scratch every year
I don't think you necessarily start from scratch every year.
At our level you need to retain some core pieces in order to be successful.

I agree with Stevey that we aren't currently in bad shape.
We still have a way to go, so let's see how the staff finalizes our roster.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good questions

The 1,875 that entered includes walk-ons plus players that returned to their team.
Ok so the 1146 does not include players who chose another school and does not include players who returned to their current school.

So there are currently 1,146 players to chose from? And average of 3+ players per D1 Team? (Assuming 353 D1Teams)
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good questions

Ok so the 1146 does not include players who chose another school and does not include players who returned to their current school.

So there are currently 1,146 players to chose from? And average of 3+ players per D1 Team? (Assuming 353 D1Teams)
I wonder how many of the 1,146 are bigs or, to whittle them down further, A10 level bigs that aren’t going P6 and that we have a good shot at bringing in ?

Of course there is the chance we could bring in a junior college big and/or one from overseas.

#WhereTheBigsAt
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Could be wrong here, but I recall someone posted 70ish? Of bigs in the portal.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Forward Jack Clark (6'10") committed to VCU.
This will be his 7th season and 4th school, had a medical hardship waiver in 18-19, RS in 19-20, Covid season 20-21.
Started at LaSalle and had success, double-digit scorer, then transferred to NC State.
In 22-23 averaged 9 pts/ 5 rebs, then transferred last season to Clemson (5 pts/5 rebs).

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago Forward Jack Clark (6'10") committed to VCU.
This will be his 7th season and 4th school, had a medical hardship waiver in 18-19, RS in 19-20, Covid season 20-21.
Started at LaSalle and had success, double-digit scorer, then transferred to NC State.
In 22-23 averaged 9 pts/ 5 rebs, then transferred last season to Clemson (5 pts/5 rebs).

Didn't he play for the Red Sox for a couple years?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not for nothing, but imo the..."we need bigs" "where the bigs at?" talk is getting to be way more monotonous than the you know what talk...just sayin'.....errrrrrr "we get it" :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Didn't he play for the Red Sox for a couple years?
VCU hit a home run with this commitment!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From reading the VCU board they say he needs to apply for the medical release for his freshman year. He played 9 games in His freshman year at LaSalle, but they were between games 9-17 whereas normally they would be the beginning of the season.

Normally get medical release if play 1/3rd of games do 9 of 31 should be ok. But according to their board it’s not a formal release yet

4 years at LaSalle
1 year at NC State
1year at Clemson
1 year at VCU?????

IMG_3337.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Guess this Portal stuff is good for the Agent business

Have to get used to guys in Portal having agents

I remember in the old days a college player couldn’t have an Agent.

Seems nobody had an inkling that Clark was being considered by VCU - stealth is common in the world of Portaling

Last edited by ramster 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brickus had narrowed to VCU, Villanova and South Carolina

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago Guess this Portal stuff is good for the Agent business

Seems nobody had an inkling that Clark was being considered by VCU - stealth is common in the world of Portaling

When did the rules change that a student athlete can have an agent? I thought that the second an agent was hired, their eligibilty ended? Though with the NIL, it might be good so that kids won't get taken advantage of (assuming the agent is working in the students' best interests).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 weeks ago
ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago Guess this Portal stuff is good for the Agent business

When did the rules change that a student athlete can have an agent? I thought that the second an agent was hired, their eligibilty ended? Though with the NIL, it might be good so that kids won't get taken advantage of (assuming the agent is working in the students' best interests).
Showing results for "can players on portal now have agents?"

AI Answer

Yes, college football players in the NCAA Transfer Portal can work with NIL agents. As of January 2024, one NIL agent was working with more than 30 college football players in the transfer portal. However, some say that many college athletes receive poor advice from inexperienced agents who are not properly licensed.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I mentioned that a week ago...if the players have agents, why don't the schools have GMs? Who deals with the agents for Rhody? Arch? Thorr? Stone? Parlange? Stevie?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago I mentioned that a week ago...if the players have agents, why don't the schools have GMs? Who deals with the agents for Rhody? Arch? Thorr? Stone? Parlange? Stevie?
Maybe the new guy filling the Kenny Johnson vacancy? ECR? Rambone78? You?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago I mentioned that a week ago...if the players have agents, why don't the schools have GMs? Who deals with the agents for Rhody? Arch? Thorr? Stone? Parlange? Stevie?
I am gonna take stab at this. Arch, no. Thorr, no but retains final approval brought to him by Stone. Stone initial and direct dealing with players/agents, Parlange, no. Arch makes the call on players he wants. Sound reasonable ? and whoever it is has to be able act quickly.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938