Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago (PF/C) Mohamed Wague (6'10"/225) just entered the portal.
He is a multi-transfer from Alabama and West Virginia, played only limited minutes.
In 21-22 as a freshman was 1st Team Juco All-American (15 pts/12 rebs, 3rd in nation blocks).

He is from Bronx NY, look for Duane to reach out.
Nice catch, Jersey.

He fits my preferred profile: P6 level; he may have something to prove; practiced every day against P6 level talent; probably not costly from an NIL standpoint; exposed to a winning culture/bigtime environment.

Good value, potentially, that could slide into our rotation and help Fuchs and provide him with good competition in practice.

I hope we reach out, too.
Yes, he is a player that is within our reach, and could provide solid depth in the paint.

I would also look at soph. (C) Fredrick King (6'10) from Creighton.
He was a freshman of the week BE (16 pts/10.5 rebs), in 22-23.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

McRam wrote: 1 week ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 week ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago I agree Kortright didn't push the pace but he had 117 assists and averaged 4 rebounds a game. He didn't suck and whether Bassy will be better is up in the air.
I did not want Luis to leave, but to be fair I didn’t want Bassy to leave last year either. I do think Bassy is a better fit for uptempo and a better true PG, but Luis was a tough kid and good player.
Are we really going to be uptempo? Remember, with Fuchs and Green we are not at all fast!
This is a good point. Even if Archie wants to go faster and thinks he got a point guard that can successfully go faster it doesn't necessarily mean the rest of his current roster can play the way he wants. Expect to see a lot of poor shot selection from House and Thomas pushing the pace and trying to finish 1 on 3 at the basket while the rest of our team tries to get up the floor.

Can't wait!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

Any updates on recruits? Is no news good news !?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyBB91 wrote: 1 week ago Any updates on recruits? Is no news good news !?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Archie is being patient. We need to follow
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We'll be good when we're good.

We are on the 10 year plan.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brea highly regarded……

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Brea highly regarded……

Wow the bluest of bloods ! Hope he picks UConn , DH loves guys that shoot that 3
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago

I did not want Luis to leave, but to be fair I didn’t want Bassy to leave last year either. I do think Bassy is a better fit for uptempo and a better true PG, but Luis was a tough kid and good player.
Are we really going to be uptempo? Remember, with Fuchs and Green we are not at all fast!
This is a good point. Even if Archie wants to go faster and thinks he got a point guard that can successfully go faster it doesn't necessarily mean the rest of his current roster can play the way he wants. Expect to see a lot of poor shot selection from House and Thomas pushing the pace and trying to finish 1 on 3 at the basket while the rest of our team tries to get up the floor.

Can't wait!
Don’t need your bigs to run the floor if you’re trying to score in transition.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Brea highly regarded……

Top 3 point shooter in the country.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago Archie is being patient. We need to follow
Might be some deals at the deadline. Players being too patient or trying to reach, only so many spots on each team. I think last COVID year so realistically too many people in the portal. When the music gets close to stopping they might be scrambling for a seat.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago Due to his turnovers Thomas is incapable of being a competent floor general. It doesn't matter if he goes up the floor at the speed Archie wants if it's going right back down the other way even faster when the opponent gets a fast break off of his mistakes.

It's not just that we know he's unplayable at this level, it's the fact that we've got a program that needs to improve and we're going back to an already failed option
Did you actually watch a single game of his all year?

If not, watch the Albany Vermont game and explain how he will suck here surrounded by House, Cam, Green, Lawrence and Fuchs?
Why the fuck would I watch Albany basketball games? They went 5-11, second to last, in a bad conference, I've got better shit to do with my time. And I don't care what he did against Vermont in the Future Bankers of America basketball conference playing against guys whose biggest basketball accomplishments after college will be being their accounting firm's best player in the Saturday morning pickup league and winning the 8 and under CYO championship as a coach.

I already saw what he did here for two years, I don't need to watch games from the 21st ranked conference in college basketball to get a read on his game. Great, he looked better offensively playing against stiffs because he had all the time and space in the world to do what he wanted. Also, he was still a fucking horrific defender by the numbers considering the stiffs he was playing against. I was happy for him, he matched his talent with the competition level and did well offensively. But he's going to get chewed up at this level, just like he already did, and we're going to waste a year expecting the results to magically be different this time around.

If people truly believe in House, Cam, Green, Lawrence, and Fuchs they should be pissed that Archie's ruining that core, and the last seasons from at least House and Green, by bringing in a known failure at this level to play the most important position on the floor. If Sebastian Thomas! Part Deux is the best we can do at starting point guard as a program in year 3 of the Archie Miller era we are really and truly porked. This is like if we brought Matthew Butler back after one season at UT-Martin. We should be past this as a program by now
PRT also has said he watched David Green play at Louisiana Tech 😂🤣

Yea man, sure ya did.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sooooooooo, have we signed a point guard yet?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago

Can't wait!
A big would maybe help. Getting a few boards to trigger the transition?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago

Can't wait!
A big would maybe help. Getting a few boards to trigger the transition?
Bingo. You need someone to grab the rebounds to start the break. We can only assume that Archie will bring in at least 1, hopefully 2 bigs that can be successful in that role.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago

If not, watch the Albany Vermont game and explain how he will suck here surrounded by House, Cam, Green, Lawrence and Fuchs?
Why the fuck would I watch Albany basketball games? They went 5-11, second to last, in a bad conference, I've got better shit to do with my time. And I don't care what he did against Vermont in the Future Bankers of America basketball conference playing against guys whose biggest basketball accomplishments after college will be being their accounting firm's best player in the Saturday morning pickup league and winning the 8 and under CYO championship as a coach.

I already saw what he did here for two years, I don't need to watch games from the 21st ranked conference in college basketball to get a read on his game. Great, he looked better offensively playing against stiffs because he had all the time and space in the world to do what he wanted. Also, he was still a fucking horrific defender by the numbers considering the stiffs he was playing against. I was happy for him, he matched his talent with the competition level and did well offensively. But he's going to get chewed up at this level, just like he already did, and we're going to waste a year expecting the results to magically be different this time around.

If people truly believe in House, Cam, Green, Lawrence, and Fuchs they should be pissed that Archie's ruining that core, and the last seasons from at least House and Green, by bringing in a known failure at this level to play the most important position on the floor. If Sebastian Thomas! Part Deux is the best we can do at starting point guard as a program in year 3 of the Archie Miller era we are really and truly porked. This is like if we brought Matthew Butler back after one season at UT-Martin. We should be past this as a program by now

Yea man, sure ya did.
LOL I said I watched their games on YOUTUBE you fucking dope.

You know they have full games on YouTube right?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago Due to his turnovers Thomas is incapable of being a competent floor general. It doesn't matter if he goes up the floor at the speed Archie wants if it's going right back down the other way even faster when the opponent gets a fast break off of his mistakes.

It's not just that we know he's unplayable at this level, it's the fact that we've got a program that needs to improve and we're going back to an already failed option

Hahahhaa what a pathetic response

Yep! Players can't get better!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 week ago
Might be some deals at the deadline. Players being too patient or trying to reach, only so many spots on each team. I think last COVID year so realistically too many people in the portal. When the music gets close to stopping they might be scrambling for a seat.
Deadline is May 1st to enter the Portal this year.
There is no deadline for committing to a school so players will be added to rosters continually.

The prime candidates signings in the upcoming days up to May 1st could result in more players entering last minute as current roster players may see their starting spot in jeopardy or see their playing time opportunity reduced. Coaches will be watching this carefully in the coming days.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I dumped cable, not renewing season tix, and dumped ESPN+. Maybe I'll get excited when we are top 25 again. I did the same when Baron was hired. This team has some serious issues.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 week ago I dumped cable, not renewing season tix, and dumped ESPN+. Maybe I'll get excited when we are top 25 again. I did the same when Baron was hired. This team has some serious issues.
LOL wut?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 week ago I dumped cable, not renewing season tix, and dumped ESPN+. Maybe I'll get excited when we are top 25 again. I did the same when Baron was hired. This team has some serious issues.
LOL wut?
Whatta ya gonna do……take up Pickleball?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yea man, sure ya did.

Like, a for real "f***ing dope", or an "all in good fun" effing dope? :roll:
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago
There is no deadline for committing to a school so players will be added to rosters continually.

The prime candidates signings in the upcoming days up to May 1st could result in more players entering last minute as current roster players may see their starting spot in jeopardy or see their playing time opportunity reduced. Coaches will be watching this carefully in the coming days.
I believe the May 1 deadline does not apply to graduate “students”. This could be a real cluster f***. Eg. Jaden House surprisingly enters portal in June. The pickings are very slim at that point.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

Yea man, sure ya did.

Take out the word 'fucking' and change dope to jokester, and it comes off totally different.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I believe the May 1 deadline does not apply to graduate “students”. This could be a real cluster f***. Eg. Jaden House surprisingly enters portal in June. The pickings are very slim at that point.
I think it's more likely that House and Green go overseas than into the portal.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

Take out the word 'fucking' and change dope to jokester, and it comes off totally different.
Yep, "funner" :lol:
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yea man, sure ya did.

I was British in my head when I said that
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think it's more likely that House and Green go overseas than into the portal.
I agree. I was just using it as an example of the lack of thought with the current system. Of course if there is thought, it is even scarier.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LETS GO RANGERS !
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

SIGNIFICANT A10 NEWS

2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think he's just trying to troll at this point. His comments are reaching Rhody72 levels. At least 72 was funny. Anyone who watches sports knows that college players typically improve and develop once they become juniors or seniors. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to understand that. The funniest part is Matthew Butler is an example of a player who improved as he got older. He had a great senior year and played well against a few high majors. We see teams get upset in March literally every single season, yet there are still people here who assume every non-high-major player and team sucks. We are going to get eaten alive by a player on PC who played at Chicago St. But people like Rhodyram will just assume he sucks because he came from that program.

Just remember that this dude thinks Bassy hasn't improved in any way, won't make any impact in the A10, is slower than Luis, and will put up the same numbers as his sophomore year. We'll see what happens.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

Luther Clay - Purdue
Kuran Iverson - Memphis
Stanford Robinson - Indiana
Irv Chatman
Yes, we had players trade down from high majors, but as Blue Man posted none had the same impact at that level that Lawrence did.
Andre Malone
Gilvydas Biruta
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 week ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago

Irv Chatman
Yes, we had players trade down from high majors, but as Blue Man posted none had the same impact at that level that Lawrence did.
Andre Malone
Gilvydas Biruta
Yep, you are right, they both did and even better.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I know we're all bummed about Hammond. I want to show that it's not a URI thing but a part of a larger problem that even blue bloods have to deal with.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240424_060010_Chrome.jpg
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago SIGNIFICANT A10 NEWS

Phew, I can sleep better now. Glad he is returning to keep a top rated scout team.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

A deadline to committ would make this better
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago I know we're all bummed about Hammond. I want to show that it's not a URI thing but a part of a larger problem that even blue bloods have to deal with.
I agree…..but that kid was probably over recruited in the portal. In a sense Ben was too, but not until after he opted out. I think he was on track to be our starting PG almost right away.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago I know we're all bummed about Hammond. I want to show that it's not a URI thing but a part of a larger problem that even blue bloods have to deal with.
I agree…..but that kid was probably over recruited in the portal. In a sense Ben was too, but not until after he opted out. I think he was on track to be our starting PG almost right away.
Ben can’t get recruited over when he’s no longer committed to the team…
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Still far less pathetic than watching an Albany basketball game. Get more hobbies
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago

I think he's just trying to troll at this point. His comments are reaching Rhody72 levels. At least 72 was funny. Anyone who watches sports knows that college players typically improve and develop once they become juniors or seniors. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to understand that. The funniest part is Matthew Butler is an example of a player who improved as he got older. He had a great senior year and played well against a few high majors. We see teams get upset in March literally every single season, yet there are still people here who assume every non-high-major player and team sucks. We are going to get eaten alive by a player on PC who played at Chicago St. But people like Rhodyram will just assume he sucks because he came from that program.

Just remember that this dude thinks Bassy hasn't improved in any way, won't make any impact in the A10, is slower than Luis, and will put up the same numbers as his sophomore year. We'll see what happens.
Yeah, keep thinking playing against stiffs means he got better. But hey, you watched a highlight clip on YouTube, you must know what you're talking about
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago

Yeah, keep thinking playing against stiffs means he got better. But hey, you watched a highlight clip on YouTube, you must know what you're talking about
Incorrect

I did not watch a single highlight clip on YouTube

As I stated I watched the entire game on ESPN+

I watched the Vermont vs Albany playoff game on ESPN+ and underdog Albany gave Vermont a good scare.

I also watched all 14 A10 games in the Barclay Center in person and where USI had the lowest representation of any of the 15 A10 Teams.
I’m not a watcher at all of YouTube highlights where a player is never shown missing a shot and defense is ignored.

As for “playing against stiffs”, plenty of P5, NBE and high mid majors continue to rape the low-mid majors and mid-majors of their top players. It’s as big or bigger a source of talent as recruiting freshmen. Look no further than PC under Cooley and English.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Bill Self should be on the hot seat! Guy clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing! No one wants to play for him! Don’t you dare look at how he did in the past the new world has passed him by!

Did I do it right?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago SIGNIFICANT A10 NEWS

Phew, I can sleep better now. Glad he is returning to keep a top rated scout team.
i got you - $you're welcome$
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Bill Self should be on the hot seat! Guy clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing! No one wants to play for him! Don’t you dare look at how he did in the past the new world has passed him by!

Did I do it right?
Wait until people hear about St Mary's losing their 4* recruit after already losing Mahaney...
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-24 101842.jpg
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Everyone lost someone. This is the first off season that I’ve noticed that no one is safe from the portal. Duke, Kansas, ect.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago

Did I do it right?
Wait until people hear about St Mary's losing their 4* recruit after already losing Mahaney...
NIL for individuals with no limits, NIL pot of gold from which to Pay Players with no limits, no sit out penalty, no penalty for breaking Freshmen Letter of Intent.
It’s the perfect world for players to maximize their income.
Player Income levels will grow more and more as the Portal becomes more sophisticated. Will head towards auctioning off players to the highest bidder and even then bid stealers can swoop in right up to the playing of the first game in November. Sky is the limit for player pay and to thing the media money going to the schools has not even been touched yet as schools want to protect that money 💰 but that money will get eligible for players before long. Too much there to ignore.

The super conference level will be created for football and it will drag basketball with it just as several here have predicted for some time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Everyone lost someone. This is the first off season that I’ve noticed that no one is safe from the portal. Duke, Kansas, ect.
Money, money, money. It’s going to get crazier.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Everyone lost someone. This is the first off season that I’ve noticed that no one is safe from the portal. Duke, Kansas, ect.
Which makes me feel better that to this point we've kept 3 starters/probably our best 3, 2 freshmen who could easily go to a higher level program, and we've improved at 2 positions of need (true PG and consistent secondary producer).

Maybe things aren't as bad as some of the posters want to make the rest of us believe.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Effective immediately

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Me thinks the sooner the super conference gets going the better it will be for URI. I think it will then provide a more clear understanding of the new environment we would be within. Including conference realignment etc. this assumes URI would not be in the super conference.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938