URI Rhode to Excellence Poll

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Have you or do you intend to contribute to the URI Rhode to Excellence?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 53

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI Rhode to Excellence Poll

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago "We've played other teams with injury problems, sometimes without their best player. If we were totally healthy and the teams we played were totally healthy, I actually think our record would be worse than it is now."

This is the quote. I didn't exactly remember it right!

And I wasn't just talking about injuries, I of course include not having DG available.

All I did was make a point about how our roster was never able to reach its full potential because guys were either hurt or not available.

Not that we would be a GOOD team, but Judy pointing out that 11 new players plus player availability OBVIOUSLY MADE IT WORSE.

It's a fucking fact. Everyone attacking me for pointing out the obvious is braindead.

The end!
I said "our record". I stand by that.
Do you stand on business?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago "We've played other teams with injury problems, sometimes without their best player. If we were totally healthy and the teams we played were totally healthy, I actually think our record would be worse than it is now."

And I wasn't just talking about injuries, I of course include not having DG available.

All I did was make a point about how our roster was never able to reach its full potential because guys were either hurt or not available.

Not that we would be a GOOD team, but Judy pointing out that 11 new players plus player availability OBVIOUSLY MADE IT WORSE.

It's a fucking fact. Everyone attacking me for pointing out the obvious is braindead.

The end!
There were several games, but the one I can think of right away is the game we beat UMass and Cross was out. I'm pretty sure that's a loss if Cross plays. And like I said, there were a few like that.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

There were several games, but the one I can think of right away is the game we beat UMass and Cross was out. I'm pretty sure that's a loss if Cross plays. And like I said, there were a few like that.
We don't lose to UNH, Delaware or Brown if we had everyone all year.

And okay, what if we had Bilau?

We still win.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago

The end!
lol yea, 99.9% of people agree on something, you’re the only one with your opinion, but ya sure, you’re right and everyone else is dead wrong.
Nah blue man is on my side and anyone outside of this forum.

Not having DG for half a year, ankle, illness

Fuchs concussion, ankle

Zek shoulder

Cam missed a game

Bilau only played 6 games and was our best big. Best defender, best rebounder according to Archie.

Ways missed a bunch (not a big deal but still)

Weston death in the family, hand injury

Not JUST the injuries, but that much flux on a BRAND NEW roster, 11 new players, made everything worse than it would have been. How in the actual hell can anyone say it did not?

And it's not like I wasn't very critical of the defense, the effort and everything else wrong. Just pointing out that extenuating circumstances made it worse. In all likelihood, we wouldn't have been as bad. How much better? Who knows. We don't know how all of that affected the chemistry, the development, the confidence of the players etc.

Literally the only time I've seen so many people think player availability have nothing to do with team failures in the history of sports 😂
You seem to have this crazy need to not just be right... all the time...but to make sure that everyone else better damn sure recognize.... not sure if that's something the Rhody rehab package includes or not. Or, could just realize, maybe it's not that serious...?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I disagree, Billy. We were red hot that day. We were up 16-18 pts with 3 minutes left in the game, and then Umass brought it down a little in the garbage minutes. We dominated that game... It was the best we have looked since Archie came here. Cross is a good player but he wasn't slowing down our offense that day. We couldn't miss.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

lol yea, 99.9% of people agree on something, you’re the only one with your opinion, but ya sure, you’re right and everyone else is dead wrong.

Fuchs concussion, ankle

Zek shoulder

Cam missed a game

Bilau only played 6 games and was our best big. Best defender, best rebounder according to Archie.

Not JUST the injuries, but that much flux on a BRAND NEW roster, 11 new players, made everything worse than it would have been. How in the actual hell can anyone say it did not?

And it's not like I wasn't very critical of the defense, the effort and everything else wrong. Just pointing out that extenuating circumstances made it worse. In all likelihood, we wouldn't have been as bad. How much better? Who knows. We don't know how all of that affected the chemistry, the development, the confidence of the players etc.

Literally the only time I've seen so many people think player availability have nothing to do with team failures in the history of sports 😂
You seem to have this crazy need to not just be right... all the time...but to make sure that everyone else better damn sure recognize.... not sure if that's something the Rhody rehab package includes or not. Or, could just realize, maybe it's not that serious...?
About this, I will make sure ppl recognize. And you know this is the only thing I've fought this hard on c'mon.

Of course it's not serious! But the arguing is fun!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Fuchs concussion, ankle

Zek shoulder

Cam missed a game

About this, I will make sure ppl recognize. And you know this is the only thing I've fought this hard on c'mon.

OK, must just be me...this doesn't seem like that much "fun":

The end!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The end!
😞
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The end!
Now, if he had left out the word 'fucking' and substituted the word 'mean' instead of 'braindead', it would come off much differently. :lol:
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The end!
Now, if he had left out the word 'fucking' and substituted the word 'mean' instead of 'braindead', it would come off much differently. :lol:
I'm mean :(
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The end!
That's the spirit!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The end!
That's the spirit!
And that’s when he is “not serious and the arguing is just fun”. Imagine if he was being as serious as a heart attack!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Is there pan uptick in yes? If so, the Bassy effect?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ok - I know this has been asked before, but now with the "new" Rhode to Excellence being run by Stone, I'm donating what I can afford to both the Athletic Dept's director's fund and the NIL. I started my donation to the NIL about 6 weeks ago and initially am doing half of what I am donating to the director's fund. That said, to help with hoops is it better if I swap my amounts? What do serious people think?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago Ok - I know this has been asked before, but now with the "new" Rhode to Excellence being run by Stone, I'm donating what I can afford to both the Athletic Dept's director's fund and the NIL. I started my donation to the NIL about 6 weeks ago and initially am doing half of what I am donating to the director's fund. That said, to help with hoops is it better if I swap my amounts? What do serious people think?
For me and wife(who owns the season tickets)and feels she as skin in the game are doing in the neighborhood of 50/50.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago Ok - I know this has been asked before, but now with the "new" Rhode to Excellence being run by Stone, I'm donating what I can afford to both the Athletic Dept's director's fund and the NIL. I started my donation to the NIL about 6 weeks ago and initially am doing half of what I am donating to the director's fund. That said, to help with hoops is it better if I swap my amounts? What do serious people think?
No question more money should be going to NIL.
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am waiting for the "new" "new" "new" Rhode to Excellence being run by Stone and then will decide - ia m thinking of equally splitting at the moment
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago i am waiting for the "new" "new" "new" Rhode to Excellence being run by Stone and then will decide - ia m thinking of equally splitting at the moment
You have something to cut that penny in half?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The end!

Fuchs concussion, ankle

Zek shoulder

Cam missed a game

There's been this weird drive the last couple of years to make Archie the outlet of everyone's carryover frustration from Dave Cox. For whatever reason, Dave Cox wasn't targeted as an issue until the very end of year 3. Yet when I called it out in year 1 everyone said I was crazy. Then again, the overwhelming sentiment on this board had a similar fervor for Hurley until he actually made the tournament, and I was in the minority fighting the Hurley fight too. So it's not unfamiliar territory that I find myself (and PRT) on the wall for Archie. But I'm starting to trust my opinions a little better than the voice on this board, so if anything this makes me feel a little better to be in the minority here.

Actually, I remember people saying "no pass" for Hurley after EC went down and Four McGlynn had to step in to a starting role. So again, pretty similar.

To pretend that 11 new YOUNG players and a cavalcade of injuries didn't affect our team last year is asinine.

We played 32 games last year. Do you know how many players played 32 games last year? 3.

Since everyone keeps bringing up Loyola as a "comparable" even though they literally returned most of their entire roster and had a ton of senior leadership, do you know how many players played all 33 games? 6. Double. They had one everyday starter miss 4 games, and otherwise had a pretty established rotation. In fact, Loyola had 9 guys available for 90% of their games. URI had 5 available for that number.

How about Dayton? They lost Smith early - obviously a huge loss. They also had a team of all upperclassmen, 3 who were returning, 1 who was the best player in the conference. They still had 6 guys available for 100% of their games. Again, double URI. 7 guys, their entire rotation post Smith, was there for over 92% of the games. (missed 2).

What about cinderella Duquesne? They played more games than anyone in the A10. They had 6 guys available for 90%+ of their games. Their best player missed 3 out of 37 games.

Regular season champ Richmond? Only their whole rotation of 7 guys available for 100% of the games.

UMass? Well we know Matt Cross, who's injury cost him 3 games (still available for 90% of their schedule). 5 guys available for 100% of their games and their entire rotation, 8 guys, were available for 90%.

VCU - 7 guys available for 95% of their games. Their one key injury, Bairstow, was a 5th year guy who missed 10 games early but was still with the team and practicing with the team and played for Odom at Utah State before coming with him.

I'm not doing this for every team - but it's fair to say URI got hit way harder with injuries and eligibility issues than anyone else in the conference. It mattered more for URI since there wasn't a single rotation player on this roster, playing for Archie, the season before. That compounds the issues.

It's safe to assume most would say David Green was our best player last year. He missed 13 games. More importantly, he missed months of practice time and fitness time. For a team trying to gel and understand each other, that's legitimately the worst thing that can happen to your best player.

Remember Bilau? Our literal only veteran and best front court player? We got 6 games of limited minutes out of him.

When Fuchs was injured we went 0-5.

Our expected starting lineup played zero games together. Our frontcourt, and arguably our 2 best players (Green and Bilau) played zero games together.

Now, if 100% healthy were we NCAA tournament bound? Probably not. But to act like this team when fully healthy wasn't better than a 12 win team is a joke. It's pure cognitive dissonance to pretend that Archie isn't a good coach and there are all these "problems' behind the scenes while simultaneously acknowledging that our injury and eligibility issues affected us significantly more than most.

And if everything was such a mess - why is our entire starting lineup staying? Why are they all still here? Why did a guy who left come back?

We lost a high school decommit, at least one malcontent, one player who most were ready to drive out of kingston themselves, and some bottom of the bench guys who got garbage time minutes. We lost one true rotational piece, who based on his own inconsistent play and Lawrence coming in, probably wasn't going to see the floor much anyway.

Based on the average at this point (roughly 2k in the portal and 5k players), theoretically 40% of your roster should turnover via the portal these days. That's exactly what happened, and our 2 promising freshman look to be staying put.

It's just really weird that we have so many "fans" looking for reasons to string up our coach while bird boxing themselves blind to pretend that we didn't have some seriously extenuating circumstances this year that affected us significantly more than other teams.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago i am waiting for the "new" "new" "new" Rhode to Excellence being run by Stone and then will decide - ia m thinking of equally splitting at the moment
You have something to cut that penny in half?
yes, you picked up on my point..
if you go down this road they will continue to ask for more money
while the NCAA gets rich....

i had no idea about the "new" Rhode to Excellence campaign
i would just give it a version number Rhode to Excellence 2.0, etc...

all the power to those who do donate tho
and i thank you for paying he platers a salary..

don't forget to give them a W-2 form
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I honestly don't know which would be considered "better", but for me I have put my full donation in to NIL, at least for now. To me it seems like that is where it can make the most immediate and direct impact. I feel like donating to NIL can directly make our team better in the long run, while donating to the athletic department goes in to a fund that I have no idea how it's being used or what it is going towards and when. That's just my opinion on it though.
1 x