Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If you dont have the talent to play it, you dont play it.

Seems simple, but I guess not.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Arch disses the packline defense I will not be upset !
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago Here’s hoping that after watching UVa get destroyed and having the Packline fail at URI that Miller will think it’s time to adapt.
do we do that here?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Did we really play the packline?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

McRam wrote: 1 week ago Did we really play the packline?
Ya know, I really don’t know. What I do know is whatever we play stinks.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah URI (tried to?) play Packline. The larger point is UVA which won a national championship playing Packline got smoked multiple times this past season. Obliterated.

Elite D1 coaching has figured out how to destroy it.

It will also be a interesting study to watch what Bennett does.

Does Miller have coaching chops to teach something else? Does he dig in with Packline dogma even tho the results have been awful?

We shall see.

Also a question - are portalpalooza candidates staying away because of the Packline?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago Yeah URI (tried to?) play Packline. The larger point is UVA which won a national championship playing Packline got smoked multiple times this past season. Obliterated.

Does Miller have coaching chops to teach something else? Does he dig in with Packline dogma even tho the results have been awful?

We shall see.

Also a question - are portalpalooza candidates staying away because of the Packline?
For most kids, defense isn't fun to begin with. Offense is fun. Do you think they want to have to learn something that they've never done before that isn't fun? Hell no.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago Yeah URI (tried to?) play Packline. The larger point is UVA which won a national championship playing Packline got smoked multiple times this past season. Obliterated.

We shall see.

Again

UVA got smoked because they couldn't make a f'n shot

Had absolutely nothing to do with their defense.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

With Hurley you didn’t get on the floor if you did’t play defense. That’s how he built the team. He recruited defense (which was the lower hanging fruit) and then developed their offense abilities. It took time but it worked for him.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

We shall see.

Again

I recall someone pointed out a metric of their defense, in the top 10? If so, fine. I still don’t like it for us.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It takes talent and effort to play it.

We didnt have much of either last season.

We are still about 3 beers short of a six pack in order to rectify the issues.

The longer nothing happens the less confident I get when it comes to getting better.

One decent commit is nowhere near enough.

It could come down to the point where the admin and boosters run out of patience with Archie.

If we have to start over with a new staff so be it.

We get the next coach right, things could turn around much quicker than in the past.

Meaning buying the right players. Even UConn has to basically start over with an entirely new starting five.

Of course Hurley will find a way UConn now can compete for 5 star talent.

We can't do that, but damn it we can do better than what we're seeing right now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

We shall see.

Again

I recall someone pointed out a metric of their defense, in the top 10? If so, fine. I still don’t like it for us.
Jamarques will help.

We'll see who else we get, but we....can't be worse.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 week ago It takes talent and effort to play it.

We didnt have much of either last season.

We are still about 3 beers short of a six pack in order to rectify the issues.

The longer nothing happens the less confident I get when it comes to getting better.

One decent commit is nowhere near enough.

It could come down to the point where the admin and boosters run out of patience with Archie.

If we have to start over with a new staff so be it.

We get the next coach right, things could turn around much quicker than in the past.

Meaning buying the right players. Even UConn has to basically start over with an entirely new starting five.

Of course Hurley will find a way UConn now can compete for 5 star talent.

We can't do that, but damn it we can do better than what we're seeing right now.
Also, UVA did destroy UConn in the secret scrimmage...jus sayin

But, I doubt our defense becomes amazing all the sudden, but if we can at least he average and then cut down on the turnovers we could have a pretty drastic turnaround.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Go watch the V Tech /uVA game (YouTube)and look at the shot chart….

PackLine is no longer the secret sauce.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

We shall see.

For most kids, defense isn't fun to begin with. Offense is fun. Do you think they want to have to learn something that they've never done before that isn't fun? Hell no.
I agree, 78.

And, more fun for basketball fans, too. I appreciate good/great defense but I enjoy great offense more….

Unless of course Rhody returns to the NCAAT winning games 51-49. In that case, I love dominant defense! :D
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 week ago With Hurley you didn’t get on the floor if you did’t play defense. That’s how he built the team. He recruited defense (which was the lower hanging fruit) and then developed their offense abilities. It took time but it worked for him.
👍🏼

And I think he still does that. Just maybe not to the extent that he did when he was here, although, I haven’t paid close enough attention to know with full confidence.

Maybe Dan is getting soft as he wins natty’s and ages. :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 week ago With Hurley you didn’t get on the floor if you did’t play defense. That’s how he built the team. He recruited defense (which was the lower hanging fruit) and then developed their offense abilities. It took time but it worked for him.
👍🏼

And I think he still does that. Just maybe not to the extent that he did when he was here, although, I haven’t paid close enough attention to know with full confidence.

He just had a 5* freshman playing his ass off on defense. Defense is still #1 with Dan.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

👍🏼

He just had a 5* freshman playing his ass off on defense. Defense is still #1 with Dan.
Good thing for me you paid attention, 78. 👍🏼
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

👍🏼

Good thing for me you paid attention, 78. 👍🏼
The NBA paid attention too. He'll be a 1st round draft pick in June.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Has the open job been posted yet? Where do I look?
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Has the open job been posted yet? Where do I look?
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/search
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 1 week ago
The job is not posted. Why?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Backroads wrote: 1 week ago
Marc and Thorr reached out to me first to see if I was interested. I declined (salary), it should be up there soon
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
Marc and Thorr reached out to me first to see if I was interested. I declined (salary), it should be up there soon
Maybe they are adapting too? Maybe they are looking to alter the job title/jobs spec and not the more standard assistant coach?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago Here’s hoping that after watching UVa get destroyed and having the Packline fail at URI that Miller will think it’s time to adapt.
In defense of Archie's packline, we want to score in transition. UVA wants to setup the halfcourt and slow the game down. UVA is awful basketball to watch. It's lifeless and slow on purpose. UVA wants to win rock fights, we want to win track meets.

We averaged 72.6ppg this year. Virginia averaged 62.9.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
Did R72 hack your account? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
In defense of Archie's packline, we want to score in transition. UVA wants to setup the halfcourt and slow the game down. UVA is awful basketball to watch. It's lifeless and slow on purpose. UVA wants to win rock fights, we want to win track meets.

While I love me some Jon Rothstein, when he tweets, "Virginia basketball: a thing of beauty" I wonder what he's smoking because it's butt ugly and unwatchable!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago

While I love me some Jon Rothstein, when he tweets, "Virginia basketball: a thing of beauty" I wonder what he's smoking because it's butt ugly and unwatchable!
Winning a national championship is beautiful.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It certainly eased the sting of being the first 16:1 upset lol
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'll take 1 national championship and then wouldn't care if we sucked for the rest of my life.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

DeanDome, in another thread, posted in passing how we still need to fill the open position on the staff.

Until he made the post, it had slipped my mind the last few days because it has been so quiet as to rumors, speculation, etc.

Anyone hearing anything?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I would not be surprised to see Austin gets a promotion and one of the Grad Assistant get promoted and then URI hires a new Grad Assistant
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I'll take 1 national championship and then wouldn't care if we sucked for the rest of my life.
They're getting close, right? That championship was their last tournament win.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 week ago I would not be surprised to see Austin gets a promotion and one of the Grad Assistant get promoted and then URI hires a new Grad Assistant
Save some money that way. :roll:
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rjv wrote: 1 week ago I would not be surprised to see Austin gets a promotion and one of the Grad Assistant get promoted and then URI hires a new Grad Assistant
This would be incredibly underwhelming so it will probably happen.
5 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

What is the ONE word that would describe not replacing KJ in order to save money?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 week ago
What is the ONE word that would describe not replacing KJ in order to save money?
Typical.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Smalltime. Or as 105 said, typical. Think Big - we don't.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ok, here is my conspiracy theory for the day...our friend RV has heard who the new assistant is, and it will fall in to category 3 listed below. He's putting this tweet out now to get out in front of it so he can say it was a bad hire once it's announced. :lol:

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago Ok, here is my conspiracy theory for the day...our friend RV has heard who the new assistant is, and it will fall in to category 3 listed below. He's putting this tweet out now to get out in front of it so he can say it was a bad hire once it's announced. :lol:

Good conspiracy, Adam. 👍🏼

Now we need a conspiracy for bigs…

Even after 2 cups of coffee, I got nothin’. Ooph
1 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BattleTested »

I'm hearing we've already hired KJ's replacement and he's already here recruiting... And no it was not an in house hire.
I'd expect there to be an announcement in the next couple days
3 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

Sounds we hired a former head coach who didn't coach this past season based on my sources
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BattleTested wrote: 1 week ago I'm hearing we've already hired KJ's replacement and he's already here recruiting... And no it was not an in house hire.
Good to know, thanks for the info! I assumed that was the case. No reason to think Archie was going to just sit around and let us be short handed on the staff.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

BattleTested wrote: 1 week ago

Sounds we hired a former head coach who didn't coach this past season based on my sources
Is this good news? Hasn't it widely been assumed that Archie sitting out a year and Kenny Johnson sitting out two years were bad things in that their connections kind of dried up and needed to be reestablished?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Patience RR2.

Dont you know we will be good when we're good?

Like in 5 years or so?

Guys like me who have reached the big 7-0 in years may not be around to see it.

Whatever "it" is lol.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How could we have hired a coach when it is required to be posted for 30 days (or whatever the time frame is)? There has been no posting.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It may have been 30 days already 78.

KJ may have been gone a while ago.

You know how things work here.

Slowly.
0 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago How could we have hired a coach when it is required to be posted for 30 days (or whatever the time frame is)? There has been no posting.
Im guessing we found a way around that, just like every other state school typically does.. Think about it, have you ever actually heard a coach say "We can't hire anyone until after we waited 30 days"
2 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago
BattleTested wrote: 1 week ago

Is this good news? Hasn't it widely been assumed that Archie sitting out a year and Kenny Johnson sitting out two years were bad things in that their connections kind of dried up and needed to be reestablished?
I disagree with that notion.. There's been plenty of coaches who have sat out a year and then come back recharged. They don't lose their connections because they took a year off, these guys are not wired like that. If they intend to coach again, they maintain those lines of communication
1 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago
BattleTested wrote: 1 week ago I'm hearing we've already hired KJ's replacement and he's already here recruiting... And no it was not an in house hire.
Good to know, thanks for the info! I assumed that was the case. No reason to think Archie was going to just sit around and let us be short handed on the staff.
Exactly.. My source told me its a solid a hire. Former head coach who took last year off.
2 x