Jamarques Lawrence Podcast Interview with Rival

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Jamarques Lawrence Podcast Interview with Rival

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys,

I am going to interview Steve Marik the Nebraska beat writer from Rivals on incoming transfer Jamarques Lawrence. Do you guys have any questions for him.

Thanks as always
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Jamarques Lawrence Podcast Interview with Rival

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, why the hell would he come here? Lol.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What type/style of defense does he like to play?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago What type/style of defense does he like to play?
Probably not packline lol

But that's what he's going to have to learn.

Hopefully he's got the talent and desire to learn it

We had too many last year that failed on both counts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for doing this interview Scott!!

1. Why did you decide on URI? Top 3-5 reasons in order?
NIL?
Playing time opportunity?
Archie Miller?
Staff member?
Who was your primary recruiter?
Basketball facilities like Ryan Center, Practice Crnter, weight room, etc
Atlantic 10 Conference and region they play in?
Campus?
Academic reputation?

2. Does you prefer to play PG or SG?
3. Have you played with the current roster players as yet? What do you think so far?
4. Did you know beforehand Hammond would be leaving when you signed?
5. Other reason(s)?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Yes, why the hell would he come here? Lol.
Archie is a great coach: Archie has coached and developed some incredible guards in his career.

Opportunity for a significant role: Joining URI presents the chance to play a substantial role and emerge as one of the standout guards in the conference. We also play in one of the best nonhigh major conferences where plenty of guards have gone on to have a successful professional career.

Increased NIL opportunities: With more NIL and opportunities available this year compared to Archie's first two seasons, players like Lawerence can benefit financially.

Potential to turn the program around: Despite recent challenges, URI has the potential to become one of the best programs in the conference. By joining the team now, he could play a pivotal role in the team's resurgence, leaving a lasting legacy as one of the key players who helped turn things around.

Beautiful campus: Our campus is incredible. The Ryan Center is awesome, especially if we win some games. His family is also very close.

These are just some examples, but I see plenty of positives on why he may want to come here.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

What style chowda does he like, white, red, clear? Ever had a clamcake?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago
Archie is a great coach: Archie has coached and developed some incredible guards in his career.

Opportunity for a significant role: Joining URI presents the chance to play a substantial role and emerge as one of the standout guards in the conference. We also play in one of the best nonhigh major conferences where plenty of guards have gone on to have a successful professional career.

Increased NIL opportunities: With more NIL and opportunities available this year compared to Archie's first two seasons, players like Lawerence can benefit financially.

Potential to turn the program around: Despite recent challenges, URI has the potential to become one of the best programs in the conference. By joining the team now, he could play a pivotal role in the team's resurgence, leaving a lasting legacy as one of the key players who helped turn things around.

Beautiful campus: Our campus is incredible. The Ryan Center is awesome, especially if we win some games. His family is also very close.

These are just some examples, but I see plenty of positives on why he may want to come here.
I know. I was a joke....not a very good one, apparently. :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

I know. I was a joke....not a very good one, apparently. :lol:
My bad. But there have been a few other people questioning why he's coming, and It didnt' seem like they were joking. We finally landed a good recruit, and we still have the negative people being negative. I don't get it!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good points Stevey…….

A few more…….
- Much closer to home than Nebraska - but not too close.
- Easy access to Kingston on Amtrak from NYC. Train from NYC to Plainfield NJ Train Station. Easy to go home and easy for family and friends to ride train or drive to Kingston to watch him play
- Games vs Fordham, LaSalle, St Joseph’s easy to get to for family and friends
- New practice facility with 24/7 access to use whenever you like
- Very safe campus and surrounding area
- Easy access to Boston, Providence, NY via train from Kingston - easy, frequent buses from Memorial Union to Kingston station
- Chance to be big fish in a small pond as compared to Big 10
- Team eager to improve and move up
- Some good pieces to build on in David Fuchs, David Green, Cam Estevez…….good players who did not transfer and like it at URI
- Wide number of Majors and Graduate School. Good size University as it is not too big and not too small
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Resistance is futile. ;)

I’m all in. Where are my Addidas sneakers? Let’s goooooo
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’d like to know his top 3 reasons for choosing URI
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Here it is

I think you will see why his stats weren’t better due to an unforeseen circumstance.
2 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Good stuff, Scott. Certainly gets me a bit more excited about seeing him next season!
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Yes. I understand he could be the fastest on our team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Scott, just watched.
Great stuff, and really looking forward to seeing him in Rhody Blue.
Ironic that I just returned this week from Lincoln, Ne.

I do like our probable current starting backcourt of: Bassy, Lawrence, and House, plus Cam maybe getting starter minutes.
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Yes. There is a huge difference playing in the Big 10 versus A10 and he had some great games against teams like Illinois especially the last 9 games of the season when he didn’t have to run the offense.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Consistent scoring JLaw Bassy DG and JH all can avg double figs
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I think there is a belief JLAW is going to be the guy we build the team around. But this is coming from the Rivals beat writer.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 6 days ago I think there is a belief JLAW is going to be the guy we build the team around. But this is coming from the Rivals beat writer.
He also predicts him to be an A10 All-Conference player.
We will see, hope so.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

sbrand wrote: 1 week ago Here it is

I think you will see why his stats weren’t better due to an unforeseen circumstance.
Very good interview, Scott.

I really liked his comment on Lawrence bringing a Big10 mindset of toughness to Rhody and the A10.

Excellent addition by Archie and staff and I am really looking forward to watching him here this coming season.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 6 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago What style chowda does he like, white, red, clear? Ever had a clamcake?
Or a hot weiner?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good pod , love the fact that JLaw can fly with the ball , Arch going to bring the Running Rams back
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 days ago
sbrand wrote: 6 days ago I think there is a belief JLAW is going to be the guy we build the team around. But this is coming from the Rivals beat writer.
He also predicts him to be an A10 All-Conference player.
We will see, hope so.
So..what does the poster-ati think? Is he that good? Does he have the ability to be an A10 All conference player? 'cause if he does...that would be helpful
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

His last 7 games he shot 66% from 3. He is so damn confident. He just hit some bad luck because of the Iowa betting scandal took out their star point guard and they forced him to play the 1 most of the season. He could play the 3 also when we want to go small.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 6 days ago His last 7 games he shot 66% from 3. He is so damn confident. He just hit some bad luck because of the Iowa betting scandal took out their star point guard and they forced him to play the 1 most of the season. He could play the 3 also when we want to go small.
I think we will be going with a 3-guard line-up most of the season.
He will probably play the 2 and I think House would end up at the "3".
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sbrand wrote: 6 days ago His last 7 games he shot 66% from 3. He is so damn confident. He just hit some bad luck because of the Iowa betting scandal took out their star point guard and they forced him to play the 1 most of the season. He could play the 3 also when we want to go small.
That's going to be a really small team with 3 guards, Green at the 4 and Fuchs at the 5.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

he played at Nebraska I thought?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 days ago
That's going to be a really small team with 3 guards, Green at the 4 and Fuchs at the 5.
Well in 17-18, Hurley went with a 4-guard starting line-up, that didn't work out so bad.

We are already very thin upfront with no other current options.

Right now, who would start over Bassy, House, and Lawrence?
Possibly Cam at times if he really steps up.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Sorry Ahron Ulis was a star transfer from Iowa and couldn’t play for Nebraska all season because of the gambling scandal. So they didn’t have a point guard last season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 days ago
Ulis who transferred from Iowa was originally penciled in as the expected starter at PG.
Unfortunately, he was suspended last season for being involved in a betting scandal at Iowa.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 6 days ago Really good pod , love the fact that JLaw can fly with the ball , Arch going to bring the Running Rams back
I’d like to see the Running Rams back.

Solid, turnover producing D, too.

Let’s goooooooooo
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ulis who transferred from Iowa was originally penciled in as the expected starter at PG.
Unfortunately, he was suspended last season for being involved in a betting scandal at Iowa.
got it, thanks!
ETA...so, did he transfer because now that guy is eligible?
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 days ago
I agree, 78. Small lineup. And, a lot of playing below the rim because Green and Fuchs aren’t leapers.

Unless something changes pretty soon - I mean we sign at least one more solid big to the rotation, that is what we are looking at. It’s our best lineup without another good big.

Hope we can land at least one more playable big to give us more rim protection, rebounding.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

got it, thanks!
ETA...so, did he transfer because now that guy is eligible?
Even though he can play the point at times, I think he would prefer playing off the ball at the 2.
Currently the Huskers have depth at guard which would cut into his minutes,

I think playing time and moving back East played a role.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree, Jersey. Lawrence is better at the 2.

Watching the clips Scott played in the interview, I was impressed with his passing. That skill should help our O significantly.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 days ago I agree, Jersey. Lawrence is better at the 2.

Watching the clips Scott played in the interview, I was impressed with his passing. That skill should help our O significantly.
I saw him play several times at the Pinnacle Bank Arena and was really impressed with his speed and basketball IQ.
Having him and Bassy in the backcourt, we can really play up-tempo.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff, Jersey. Up-tempo O with good passing. I am down with that. 👍🏼
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I saw him play several times at the Pinnacle Bank Arena and was really impressed with his speed and basketball IQ.
Little did you know you were watching a future Rhody Ram!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 days ago

I know, right. All the Husker fans including my kids hated to see him leave.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Comments on his defense?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

He has the speed and attitude not the size. On his highlight reel watch him get skinny on a screen and intercept a pass for an easy 2.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 6 days ago
Comments on his defense?
He won’t hurt us there. He has quick hands and is smart.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really nice pickup for us , can’t wait to watch him !
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 6 days ago He has the speed and attitude not the size. On his highlight reel watch him get skinny on a screen and intercept a pass for an easy 2.
Plenty enough size to guard 1's and 2's and some 3's.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is that arena as nice in person as on TV?

Looks to be one of the best in America.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Reef, if we don’t sign a solid big soon then, we might have to put Lawrence on the rack to see if we can stretch him out to 6-8” ish, at least.

Some Middle Ages basketball humor on a slow Rhody news day.

:lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 6 days ago

Is that arena as nice in person as on TV?

Looks to be one of the best in America.
It’s beautiful, one of the best in the country. In a popular area to hang out. State of the art facility.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He is a really good player for sure! After watching some of his games I have little doubts about him.
0 x