'24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> ??? )

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Leaving to follow a coach is understandable, but he’s basically a quitter if he goes elsewhere. Commitments are futile.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Leaving to follow a coach is understandable, but he’s basically a quitter if he goes elsewhere. Commitments are futile.
I can't believe you think Jared Terrell is a quitter to then! Could not disagree more.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Leaving to follow a coach is understandable, but he’s basically a quitter if he goes elsewhere. Commitments are futile.
Hammond’s anti-KB? Keaney Borg?

He’s too young to have watched Next Gen ? Can’t stream it? :D
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago
I can't believe you think Jared Terrell is a quitter to then! Could not disagree more.
JT decommiting from OK St is maybe a little underrated around here. That was almost a bigger deal than when EC committed.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago Just so ironic to me Hammond decommitted (supposedly) because Kenny left, and now he’ll go to to a school where Kenny isn’t coaching at either lol
I think Lawrence is the reason he left
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago Just so ironic to me Hammond decommitted (supposedly) because Kenny left, and now he’ll go to to a school where Kenny isn’t coaching at either lol
If Lawrence is more of a 2 than a 1, why would that make Ben leave?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
If Lawrence is more of a 2 than a 1, why would that make Ben leave?
He knew the team was in desperate need of a point, but had guys who 'could' play it and now this guy who 'may be more of a 2 than a 1' comes in with all this college experience and he 'could' play it, too, and he may not be able to beat everyone out in practice...maybe? Or, maybe he had advanced word on the return of the Bassy? :lol:
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Terrell quit on Oklahoma State. Glad he came here of course but let’s call a spade a spade. De-commmit=Giving up.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Terrell quit on Oklahoma State. Glad he came here of course but let’s call a spade a spade. De-commmit=Giving up.
Then I’ll take a “quitter” like JT every day of the week and twice on Saturday.

The assistant who recruited him left, and he found a great spot for him.

Let the hate fuel you, I guess.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don’t hate the kid, he’s just a kid, but I am a little ticked that a player that we were all elated about for months as the future of our program just skips out. It’s a natural reaction.
2 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Top 10 reasons for Ben leaving:

1. $$$$$
2. $$$$$
3. Kenny leaving
4. $$$$$
5. Our new transfer
6. $$$$$
7. $$$$$
8. Playing closer to home
9. $$$$$
10. $$$$$
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

BB78 good list. If he doesn’t go to Georgetown I’d suggest the Kenny bit be removed from the list.

(Despite our KeaneyBlue “insider” pundit/ expert storyline)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bassy will have a more productive year this year than Hammond. Mark it down.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago Bassy will have a more productive year this year than Hammond. Mark it down.
I can very much see that happening.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago Bassy will have a more productive year this year than Hammond. Mark it down.
and it's nothing against Hammond....maybe someday he'll be really good. I just don't see that day being next season...and it's a one season game these days. Kinda like fantasy football...if you're lucky, you get to re-draft a couple of the decent players you had last year, but usually not.
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

and it's nothing against Hammond....maybe someday he'll be really good. I just don't see that day being next season...and it's a one season game these days. Kinda like fantasy football...if you're lucky, you get to re-draft a couple of the decent players you had last year, but usually not.
It's like a keeper fantasy league with maybe 3 ish players sometimes more lmaooooo
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Very good point, NYG.

I was thinking about cbb and the fantasy league mindset a few days ago. It was in relation to cbb’s popularity.

In short, I think all the player movement will attract people/fans with that kind of fantasy sports mindset because they can envision building there own roster, compare it to reality and it will change from season to season.

That’s the best I can describe my point right now.

Oh wait. And let me add those on the ADD spectrum, too. :D
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What is production? Do wins and losses count towards production?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

In this case, I'd go with mpg, ppg, rpg, and assists per game. Others may differ...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In this case, I'd go with mpg, ppg, rpg, and assists per game. Others may differ...
Ben is a much better player than Bassy....right now. And I'm not one of the ones who dislikes Bassy. I guess it depends where Ben ends up as to what kind of stats he has.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah, I think this idea that Hammond will come into D1 and go off right away is a little much. I do think he's a better floor general than Bassy. He's not the scorer Bassy is yet, and he'll need to hit the weight room like most freshmen. I would guess Bassy will put up better numbers this year, which makes sense because he's a veteran D1 point guard. Now, if Ben was a junior or senior, that's a different story. He'll definitely be a better player than Bassy at that point.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ben is a much better player than Bassy....right now. And I'm not one of the ones who dislikes Bassy. I guess it depends where Ben ends up as to what kind of stats he has.
There is absolutely no way you can make that statement. Hammond has played ZERO seconds of college ball.

You think Hammond would’ve averaged 20 4 and 5 in The America East this season?
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago

There is absolutely no way you can make that statement. Hammond has played ZERO seconds of college ball.

You think Hammond would’ve averaged 20 4 and 5 in The America East this season?
"...right now" :lol:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Bassy lead an entire conference in scoring.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 week ago Bassy lead an entire college conference in scoring.
fify
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You'll see.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week agoYou'll see.
So after Thomas was All America East and averaged 20 4 5, you think Hammond is better after completing his high school career?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Listen, first let me say that I like Bassy. You can go back and look at my posts when he was here when most people were bashing him. I think he can run a team, facilitate and makes nice passes. He's still not a good shooter. He scored a lot of points last season despite shooting 43% from the floor and 29% from three, meaning he took a LOT of shots. I sure hope that's not his role on THIS team.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Listen, first let me say that I like Bassy. You can go back and look at my posts when he was here when most people were bashing him. I think he can run a team, facilitate and makes nice passes. He's still not a good shooter. He scored a lot of points last season despite shooting 43% from the floor and 29% from three, meaning he took a LOT of shots. I sure hope that's not his role on THIS team.
Ben decided he did not want to be here. I was psyched thinking he was coming but shit happens. Ben was not a particularly strong outside shooter so in that one area we are not losing much. Bassy wants to play here. I'm glad he is back. Archie has an entire year to find our Point Guard of the future.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Listen, first let me say that I like Bassy. You can go back and look at my posts when he was here when most people were bashing him. I think he can run a team, facilitate and makes nice passes. He's still not a good shooter. He scored a lot of points last season despite shooting 43% from the floor and 29% from three, meaning he took a LOT of shots. I sure hope that's not his role on THIS team.
Ben decided he did not want to be here. I was psyched thinking he was coming but shit happens. Ben was not a particularly strong outside shooter so in that one area we are not losing much. Bassy wants to play here. I'm glad he is back. Archie has an entire year to find our Point Guard of the future.
He’s on his third year of looking for a PG. Results so far have been underwhelming.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody22 wrote: 1 week ago
He’s on his third year of looking for a PG. Results so far have been underwhelming.
This year will be a good test for Archie and a point guard. It looks as if there are 10 pg’s from the A 10 that went into the portal and I believe the rest of the A-10 guards have used up their eligibility.
So, when the dust settles, we will be able to make an objective analysis of how we did vs Our competition in the A10.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

With whatever is up next as far as team practicing, bonding, etc...is it not odd that there's no news on what P5 school this kid is going to?
Or. is there, and I am just not looking for it just haven't seen it?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago With whatever is up next as far as team practicing, bonding, etc...is it not odd that there's no news on what P5 school this kid is going to?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago With whatever is up next as far as team practicing, bonding, etc...is it not odd that there's no news on what P5 school this kid is going to?
If a tree falls in the forest and doesn't land at one of the first 5 or 6 on that list, and actually PLAY....does it make a sound?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Most important position and he hasn't gotten the position right yet and doesn't have the point guard of the future either
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is this pinned to the top? Does it need to be? I mean, even if you leave it there, still not going to threaten Ant's 20+ pages....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago Is this pinned to the top? Does it need to be? I mean, even if you leave it there, still not going to threaten Ant's 20+ pages....
Hey, he might be here in '25-'26 for his sophomore year and then again in '27-'28 for his senior year. That might threaten even Jared Terrell's page count record.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago

Most important position and he hasn't gotten the position right yet and doesn't have the point guard of the future either
There is no FUTURE anymore in college basketball there is only NOW. Grab the best talent you can year to year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 1 week ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago

There is no FUTURE anymore in college basketball there is only NOW. Grab the best talent you can year to year.
In other big news....water wet, sky blue. But no, there's still people lamenting not getting players that could be "developed"..... LOL
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Virginia Tech just got a commitment from former Temple PG Hysier Miller. Is Hammond content to ride the pine for a year as long as it is power conference pine?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good question, STC.

In my best Rodney Dangerfield voice, with my eyes wide and bulging like in the movie, Back to School…

I have no idea.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 6 days ago Virginia Tech just got a commitment from former Temple PG Hysier Miller. Is Hammond content to ride the pine for a year as long as it is power conference pine?
$$$$$$$$.....now factor #1.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 days ago
STC wrote: 6 days ago Virginia Tech just got a commitment from former Temple PG Hysier Miller. Is Hammond content to ride the pine for a year as long as it is power conference pine?
Easily could be short sighted for $. Sitting on bench freshman year sets him behind for years 2-4 value.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 6 days ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 6 days ago
Easily could be short sighted for $. Sitting on bench freshman year sets him behind for years 2-4 value.
Unless he gets a wink wink nudge, x amount this year, double that the next year if you stay deal?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am sitting here watching the NFL Draft and wondering…

When is the first ever college basketball draft ?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hammond visiting Virginia Tech today
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hammond visiting Tennessee starting Monday.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Per 247Sports.com, Tenn lost 7 from their Elite 8 team and added 3 from the portal so far. Between those 3 adds and 6 leftovers, I didn’t see a PG listed.

Hard for me to think they can’t nab a good, experienced PG from the portal with their NIL and PT available at that position. I must have have overlooked one on the current roster ?

Is Barnes open to handing Hammond the keys to the O ?

ETA: I looked at the wrong list. I was only looking at portal additions and subtractions. They still have guards on the roster. Probably one is starting caliber PG.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 14 hours ago Per 247Sports.com, Tenn lost 7 from their Elite 8 team and added 3 from the portal so far. Between those 3 adds and 6 leftovers, I didn’t see a PG listed.

Hard for me to think they can’t nab a good, experienced PG from the portal with their NIL and PT available at that position. I must have have overlooked one on the current roster ?

Is Barnes open to handing Hammond the keys to the O ?

ETA: I looked at the wrong list. I was only looking at portal additions and subtractions. They still have guards on the roster. Probably one is starting caliber PG.
Zakai Zeigler is the starting PG

I think he would be brought in to be the next Zakai Zeigler after he graduates. Makes sense because Zakai is a short PG. They are very similar.

I think Ben would be willing to wait a year. I'd guess he'll commit after he visits.
1 x