Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago I can't wait to see what this does to student fees...will the schools tack on a special NIL fee line item?
No need for an NIL line item. If they want Olympic sports, then I can see a line item for that. No way should URI basketball fund swimming and basketball fans have to pay basketball players.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Interesting points above Re: Olympic Sports. Should be an interesting off and on discussion in the coming months/yrs.

I have never given this angle of the topic much thought although, I do enjoy watching the Olympics when they come around, and sometimes, college Olympic sports.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Interesting points above Re: Olympic Sports. Should be an interesting off and on discussion in the coming months/yrs.

I have never given this angle of the topic much thought although, I do enjoy watching the Olympics when they come around, and sometimes, college Olympic sports.
Someone needs to train, feed, pay(?) them for the 4 years in between the 10 days that people care about...
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago
Ha! I just posted this in the Excellence thread at the exact same time!
RIFan and RhodyKyle, thanks for posting this article. I did a first quick read and not sure if this is good for Rhody or not yet.

I need to go back and study this more but, I will say that I do not think our state legislature in RI will be acting on this anytime soon. I hope I am wrong in thinking that because I think other states will be moving on this fast.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Interesting points above Re: Olympic Sports. Should be an interesting off and on discussion in the coming months/yrs.

Drums, it's just about transparency now. The numbers never come out. But they will have to soon. If money from the basketball team funds other non earning sports, then cut them off. They can cry to the USOC for funding.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/new ... l-and-nil/

Article from just before Portal Opening:

The men’s college basketball transfer portal opens on March 18, less than a week away. Two of the biggest hot-topic items in college athletics are the transfer portal and NIL. And the two topics can oftentimes find themselves intertwined within the same conversations.

I was curious to talk with college coaches about how NIL affects their transfer portal recruitment. Many of the coaches I spoke with suggested that NIL was the most important piece of the process.

“NIL is the single biggest factor in the criteria prospects now use to pick a college,” a coach in the Big East said. “Playing time, style of play, conference affiliation are now clearly second tier criteria.”

I reached out to over a dozen college coaches, across the high-major landscape, to talk about NIL as it relates to the transfer portal.

How Important is NIL in the Transfer Portal?

“NIL plays a huge role in transfer portal recruiting,” a coach in the SEC said. “Unfortunately, too much in my opinion.”

In 2021, the NCAA implemented rule changes to allow players to enter the transfer portal without the penalty of sitting out a year and to allow players to profit off their Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL).

“I’ve seen that the NIL number is often the most important part,” a coach in the ACC said. “I do think that kids still want to win, but that number better be right.”

While the new rules surrounding the transfer portal are less than five years old, coaches have gone through the process for multiple cycles. Even while many are still adjusting, the importance of NIL when recruiting the transfer portal has not wavered.

“You cannot have enough money to compete in the portal,” an ACC coach said.

“From recruiting in the portal, in order of importance, I believe NIL is 1a and opportunity to play is 1b,” a coach in the SEC told me.

A coach in the Big 12 summed it up, “The transfer portal and NIL is unrestricted free agency with no salary cap. Every player is impacted by perception and reality. The misinformation and confusion is the cost of NIL, but those who have it and compete in the space have a big advantage in recruiting.”

What are the earnings of a Power Six Starter?

Not all teams are built the same. Just like not all players earn the same from their name, image, and likeness. So, I wanted to talk with the coaches. Get a sense of what NIL earnings looked like to field a competitive Power Six team.

“I would say, to really compete in the portal/NIL era, as a Power Six school you got to have $1.5 million or more,” a coach in the SEC said.

Furthering that thought, “A full starting five, to be serious, cannot be done for less than $1,000,000,” a Big 12 coach said

Breaking things down a little further. On average a starting player at a competitive Power Six school can expect to earn six figures from NIL.

“I’d say it’s about $150,000 is an average starter,” a coach in the Big East told me. Another coach in the SEC similarly said, “Probably about $150,000 is the average cost for a starter at a Power Six school.”
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 week ago https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/new ... l-and-nil/

The men’s college basketball transfer portal opens on March 18, less than a week away. Two of the biggest hot-topic items in college athletics are the transfer portal and NIL. And the two topics can oftentimes find themselves intertwined within the same conversations.

I was curious to talk with college coaches about how NIL affects their transfer portal recruitment. Many of the coaches I spoke with suggested that NIL was the most important piece of the process.

“NIL is the single biggest factor in the criteria prospects now use to pick a college,” a coach in the Big East said. “Playing time, style of play, conference affiliation are now clearly second tier criteria.”

I reached out to over a dozen college coaches, across the high-major landscape, to talk about NIL as it relates to the transfer portal.

“NIL plays a huge role in transfer portal recruiting,” a coach in the SEC said. “Unfortunately, too much in my opinion.”

In 2021, the NCAA implemented rule changes to allow players to enter the transfer portal without the penalty of sitting out a year and to allow players to profit off their Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL).

“I’ve seen that the NIL number is often the most important part,” a coach in the ACC said. “I do think that kids still want to win, but that number better be right.”

While the new rules surrounding the transfer portal are less than five years old, coaches have gone through the process for multiple cycles. Even while many are still adjusting, the importance of NIL when recruiting the transfer portal has not wavered.

“From recruiting in the portal, in order of importance, I believe NIL is 1a and opportunity to play is 1b,” a coach in the SEC told me.

A coach in the Big 12 summed it up, “The transfer portal and NIL is unrestricted free agency with no salary cap. Every player is impacted by perception and reality. The misinformation and confusion is the cost of NIL, but those who have it and compete in the space have a big advantage in recruiting.”

Not all teams are built the same. Just like not all players earn the same from their name, image, and likeness. So, I wanted to talk with the coaches. Get a sense of what NIL earnings looked like to field a competitive Power Six team.

“I would say, to really compete in the portal/NIL era, as a Power Six school you got to have $1.5 million or more,” a coach in the SEC said.

Furthering that thought, “A full starting five, to be serious, cannot be done for less than $1,000,000,” a Big 12 coach said

Breaking things down a little further. On average a starting player at a competitive Power Six school can expect to earn six figures from NIL.

“I’d say it’s about $150,000 is an average starter,” a coach in the Big East told me. Another coach in the SEC similarly said, “Probably about $150,000 is the average cost for a starter at a Power Six school.”
Thanks for posting this, Ramster. 👍🏼

What quote struck me was the one about half way down with the ACC coach where he (my paraphrase) thinks players still want to win.

I always figured almost all players want to win. The degree of how badly they want to win may vary from time to time or from player to player, however.

I may be reading too much into his quote. I wish the journalist asked him to clarify that point. But then, perhaps he did and the coach wanted no part of that rabbit hole. :D
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 week ago

Drums, it's just about transparency now. The numbers never come out. But they will have to soon. If money from the basketball team funds other non earning sports, then cut them off. They can cry to the USOC for funding.
Thanks for the response , theblueram.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago
ramster wrote: 1 week ago https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/new ... l-and-nil/

Thanks for posting this, Ramster. 👍🏼

What quote struck me was the one about half way down with the ACC coach where he (my paraphrase) thinks players still want to win.

I always figured almost all players want to win. The degree of how badly they want to win may vary from time to time or from player to player, however.

I may be reading too much into his quote. I wish the journalist asked him to clarify that point. But then, perhaps he did and the coach wanted no part of that rabbit hole. :D
To quote the great Canadian philosopher Shoresy, "it's not that they don't love to win, it's that they don't hate to lose"
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 week ago

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great scene and quote from that movie. 👍🏼
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

Someone needs to train, feed, pay(?) them for the 4 years in between the 10 days that people care about...
Good point, NYG.

Let RI College do it ?

What else is that school there for ?

My apologies to any RIC students, supporters or parents that sent students there. My angst is more towards the geniuses that founded it in such a low populated, small sized state with a world-class, flagship University 30 minutes south in Kingston.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good point, NYG.

Let RI College do it ?

My apologies to any RIC students, supporters or parents that sent students there. My angst is more towards the geniuses that founded it in such a low populated, small sized state with a world-class, flagship University 30 minutes south in Kingston.
If you're going to be "in Rhode Island"....for the most part, aren't you within 30 minutes of anything and everything that's in Rhode Island?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Good point, NYG.

Let RI College do it ?

If you're going to be "in Rhode Island"....for the most part, aren't you within 30 minutes of anything and everything that's in Rhode Island?
Well, if I go to Providence now from where I am, it's about 3 hours. :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The race is on

IMG_3199.png
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and this is why ECR will never ever ever donate any money for this BS

Smart
Smart
Smart

paying a salary for a college player who can then walk after using your money

Nah… good luck w that

HARD PASS

everyone else tho can donate and subscribe as much as you want - heck, double it please

Thank you for your service to rhody hoops
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago and this is why ECR will never ever ever donate any money for this BS

Smart
Smart
Smart

paying a salary for a college player who can then walk after using your money

Nah… good luck w that

HARD PASS

everyone else tho can donate and subscribe as much as you want - heck, double it please

Thank you for your service to rhody hoops
Owners of teams are the ones responsible for paying the players, not the fans. We've gone beyond ridiculous
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Overly simplistic stupid, unrealistic, will neva happen etc. solutions. 1) keep the ncaa out of it. 2). Conferences set salary caps on basketball teams, both for men’s and women’s. These would be within reach of all conference teams. Scaled up to the major conferences, scaled lower for other conferences. 3. All conference members classify players as “employees” with all applicable regulatory issues as employees. 4) individual colleges set their own budgets on pay scales. Does this crap above further separate the haves from the have nots? Yes. My reality is that this separation will nevs go away. Would some colleges still sneak money into the pockets of players? Yes. That is not ever going away either. I will go walk around til these thoughts go away. Maybe look up the phone number for Rhody Rehab. These it is; 1-800-GoRhody
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago Overly simplistic stupid, unrealistic, will neva happen etc. solutions. 1) keep the ncaa out of it. 2). Conferences set salary caps on basketball teams, both for men’s and women’s. These would be within reach of all conference teams. Scaled up to the major conferences, scaled lower for other conferences. 3. All conference members classify players as “employees” with all applicable regulatory issues as employees. 4) individual colleges set their own budgets on pay scales. Does this crap above further separate the haves from the have nots? Yes. My reality is that this separation will nevs go away. Would some colleges still sneak money into the pockets of players? Yes. That is not ever going away either. I will go walk around til these thoughts go away. Maybe look up the phone number for Rhody Rehab. These it is; 1-800-GoRhody
At least with the current wild wild west, there is (sorta) transparency. No, y'don't know what everyone is getting paid, but no one is getting paid illegally. Set caps and we're back to illegal beagle re-clusterization, penalties, lawsuits, wild wild west, rinse, repeat. I can see, maybe starting next year, some schools just dropping hoops altogether or going NAIA/D3... All of this coulda been prevented if the NCAA had just decided, "ok, we'll share", but hey, that would be MAJOR redistrib of wealth and why should it go any better in this situation than it does in any other?
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

How long before somebody files a lawsuit trying to keep out foreign players? Will they need a work visa instead of a student visa? Will this NIL go down a path that eventually reduces the pool of players?
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Bingo

As a said, the NCAA is making fans pay and keeping their piggy banks full

PONZI/THE STING

I was born at night but not last night…

As tot everyone else - please donate and subscribe to the RHODE TO EXCELLENCE !
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If URI can not continue to beef up their NIL. We are on a track to playing BU and NU twice a year and games in Keaney. Just the FACTS! Maybe the Ryan center can become an indoor turf farm.

Donate to NIL!

GO RHODY!
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

brady1 wrote: 1 week ago If URI can not continue to beef up their NIL. We are on a track to playing BU and NU twice a year and games in Keaney. Just the FACTS! Maybe the Ryan center can become an indoor turf farm.

Donate to NIL!

GO RHODY!
Do you think people have endless money to buy season tickets, normal donations and the NIL? The whole thing is a joke. I’m at the point where I don’t care what happens with the team. Who would feel good about giving money to the NiL for the players we currently have on our roster? They should have used the money for the NIL instead of for a new practice facility I guess. No one seems care about practice facilities any longer. They just want money to go with their scholarship which is fine, but no chance I would donate to this. To each own, but I’m sick of this crap. What made college sports so great is gone
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

HEAR HEAR
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago
brady1 wrote: 1 week ago If URI can not continue to beef up their NIL. We are on a track to playing BU and NU twice a year and games in Keaney. Just the FACTS! Maybe the Ryan center can become an indoor turf farm.

Donate to NIL!

GO RHODY!
Do you think people have endless money to buy season tickets, normal donations and the NIL? The whole thing is a joke. I’m at the point where I don’t care what happens with the team. Who would feel good about giving money to the NiL for the players we currently have on our roster? They should have used the money for the NIL instead of for a new practice facility I guess. No one seems care about practice facilities any longer. They just want money to go with their scholarship which is fine, but no chance I would donate to this. To each own, but I’m sick of this crap. What made college sports so great is gone
At this point the student athletes are taking advantage of the emotional ties people have to the Universities and Colleges with Nilflation. They are creating a situation where college basketball may become the most overpaid sports league in history. If fans make the mental jump to this has become minor league basketball with little to do with the school, then how much is it worth? What are tickets to watch the Maine Celtics going for? How much are their players being paid? How much has Jeff Dowtin made since graduating? He is a much better basketball player than many guys getting strong NIL dollars in college hoops. It is getting stupid. Eventually, some of these guys are going to graduate and get pay cuts.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wah wah wah

College sports is dead

Blah blah blah

Broken f'n records
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

l
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago Wah wah wah

College sports is dead

Blah blah blah

Broken f'n records
We are waiting for you to start a new topic on how URI wasn’t healthy last year and this was the reason they weren’t successful. Maybe one on the Jucos that you think we are in on. You praised Archie to the heavens on Tyson Brown and especially Always Wright.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

College sports is dead

Blah blah blah

Broken f'n records
We are waiting for you to start a new topic on how URI wasn’t healthy last year and this was the reason they weren’t successful. Maybe one on the Jucos that you think we are in on. You praised Archie to the heavens on Tyson Brown and especially Always Wright.
Every claim you made there is false and I will forever say you are all fucking braindead to think our injuries and not having David Green didn't make us worse this year. Utterly insane that is dismissed around here lol.

You're just abhorrently miserable and add absolutely nothing of value to the board. You have only shit on absolutely everything revolving this program, so your opinion holds zero value because you are obviously in some kind of fan psychosis. Captain miserable. I don't know why you come here? Because most here are miserable and that's the kind of crowd you are comfortable in? You can thrive with the legion of the miserable!

We could land someone like Zach Edey in the portal and you would shit on it lolol

But I will not stop being interested, objective and hopeful about Rhody hoops. I'll just resume being interested/excited to see who we land and then evaluating how their game will translate to our team.

Go resume talking about how much you hate college sports and how doomed we are. Hope you come around to the light someday 😘
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

A lot of activity in the halls of 105’s Rhody Rehab today!

I need my meds! Errrrrr…I meant news from the program. Or, good news or bad news, depending on ones perspective. ;)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

College sports is dead

Blah blah blah

Broken f'n records
Every claim you made there is false and I will forever say you are all fucking braindead to think our injuries and not having David Green didn't make us worse this year. Utterly insane that is dismissed around here lol.

You're just abhorrently miserable and add absolutely nothing of value to the board. You have only shit on absolutely everything revolving this program, so your opinion holds zero value because you are obviously in some kind of fan psychosis. Captain miserable. I don't know why you come here? Because most here are miserable and that's the kind of crowd you are comfortable in? You can thrive with the legion of the miserable!

We could land someone like Zach Edey in the portal and you would shit on it lolol

But I will not stop being interested, objective and hopeful about Rhody hoops. I'll just resume being interested/excited to see who we land and then evaluating how their game will translate to our team.

Go resume talking about how much you hate college sports and how doomed we are. Hope you come around to the light someday 😘
There are time out sessions n Rhody Rehab
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

College sports is dead

Blah blah blah

Broken f'n records

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Another great movie reference.

One of my favorite sports movies because of the basketball scene with the Chief. :D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Another great movie reference.

One of my favorite sports movies because of the basketball scene with the Chief. :D
I'm sure you know that's where Robert Parish got his nickname too.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

College sports is dead

Blah blah blah

Broken f'n records

Hey! It’s me Peter Ram. Everything I say is a fact. I will argue everyone’s view and point out how devastating it was to lose Always for a game and Cam also missed a game. Injuries killed us. You are such a baby and get all upset. All you do is say how great the player is that Archie signed. You have no clue what you are talking about. If you have problem with I say than you are more than welcome to discuss it in person. You try to act like you know what is going on, but have no clue. You kissed Always Wright and Browns ass last year so Shut the F*ck up!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hey! It’s me Peter Ram. Everything I say is a fact. I will argue everyone’s view and point out how devastating it was to lose Always for a game and Cam also missed a game. Injuries killed us. You are such a baby and get all upset. All you do is say how great the player is that Archie signed. You have no clue what you are talking about. If you have problem with I say than you are more than welcome to discuss it in person. You try to act like you know what is going on, but have no clue. You kissed Always Wright and Browns ass last year so Shut the F*ck up!
I said Tyson was a better rebounder than anyone we had last year (minus Bilau) when we signed and said he looked good in the highlight.

Wasn't that excited about Ways, watched the highlight and was surprised by the skill I saw in it and complimented it. Boy I really blew smoke up their ass! How dare i watch highlights and compliment it!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Having Thomas back is living, breathing, pulsating proof that RhodyVault doesn't know shit about our collective. If it was any fucking good we'd have someone a lot better than a guy we know is unplayable at the A10 level
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Just figured out and now understand what NIL means

It means I’m paying NIL !

What a sham … paying for players and the ncaa laughs at you

Eff that

I’m paying NIL !
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

do they accept bitcoin ?

I own some suckercoin I feel is appropriate
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago do they accept bitcoin ?

I own some suckercoin I feel is appropriate
y'mean, money that's supposed to be better than real money...'cept you have to pay real money to get it? That suckercoin?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago Just figured out and now understand what NIL means

Eff that

I’m paying NIL !
Just stop! You are not funny, you are adding nothing to the conversation. We get it, you are not contributing. Stop clogging up the feed with your nonsense.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 week ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago Just figured out and now understand what NIL means

Eff that

I’m paying NIL !
Just stop! You are not funny, you are adding nothing to the conversation. We get it, you are not contributing. Stop clogging up the feed with your nonsense.
It's so freaking annoying. I said it a few days ago and I'll say it again. We may have the worst fanbase in America...
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Full circle

Back to labeling the good fans to worse fans by money contributing to paying a player - I consider those who pay players owners

Now contributing to the university or if that player wants to commit to URI for the duration and honor his signing then I would reciprocate

So do we have the worse fans or worse players who continually leave us ?

raise your hand if you ever tried out to be Rhody - the one leading the best fans ..

Yes, I consider all rhody fans the best - we need every single diehard fan !
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago Full circle

Back to labeling the good fans to worse fans by money contributing to paying a player - I consider those who pay players owners

Now contributing to the university or if that player wants to commit to URI for the duration and honor his signing then I would reciprocate

raise your hand if you ever tried out to be Rhody - the one leading the best fans ..

You’re insufferable with your bullshit constant NIL posts just trolling everyone who does contribute.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago Full circle

You’re insufferable with your bullshit constant NIL posts just trolling everyone who does contribute.
What a fun place.... :roll:
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago

Eff that

I’m paying NIL !
It's so freaking annoying. I said it a few days ago and I'll say it again. We may have the worst fanbase in America...

I have mentally created a list of posters that when I see their names on the side of a new post I scroll right past. A lot of trolls that are out of touch from reality and provide no value or substance to a conversation.

It is nice just skipping the nonsense.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago

I have mentally created a list of posters that when I see their names on the side of a new post I scroll right past. A lot of trolls that are out of touch from reality and provide no value or substance to a conversation.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
How long is your list?
0 x