Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodyg wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago Actually, I think we are currently in decent shape based on our current possible starting 5 going into 24-25.
Sure, we can always use some upgrades and a solid veteran PG and of course depth upfront would be a welcome addition.
I expect us to be competitive and finish in the top half this upcoming season.

Maybe current starting 5 (24-25), not terrible:
PG- Luis, depth with Ways and Hammond.
CG- Cam
CG- House, depth with Farrell (wing)
F- Green
PF/C- Fuchs

Actually, we will just improve due to subtraction from our other A10 rivals.
Hammond starts over Luis
Maybe, but not sure immediately.

Anyway, a good chance our starting PG isn't on our roster yet.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The timing of last year's transfers. Not saying this is good, just getting an idea of dates.

Tyson Brown: March 29
Jaden House: March 31
Zek Montgomery: April 12
Luis Kortright: April 16
Always Wright: April 20
David Green: May 3
David Fuchs: May 25
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago The timing of last year's transfers. Not saying this is good, just getting an idea of dates.

Tyson Brown: March 29
Jaden House: March 31
Zek Montgomery: April 12
Luis Kortright: April 16
Always Wright: April 20
David Green: May 3
David Fuchs: May 25
Yes BB, I hope by Memorial Day we have a pretty good idea of what our roster will look like.

At least this year, we have 6 players returning, as of now of course.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we are going to still get 2 to 3 rotation players from the portal and maybe a couple of starters, still loads of players in the portal
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

While visiting the GU board looking for news on KJ’s hire, I checked out their other topics and read some posts on NIL strategy.

One self proclaimed inside poster said Cooley - anticipating his first year would be a struggle - purposely held back a significant chunk of NIL last year so he could have a $5 mil plus pool available this year to significantly up grade the team for the 24-25 season (I am paraphrasing off memory).

Anyway, I post this because I am starting to wonder if we (Archie - with approval from the administration and key boosters) could be doing the same as Cooley did last year but for multiple years to get us to a solid NIL footing before going all in on higher level talent ?

I really don’t know. I am just searching for clarity.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago While visiting the GU board looking for news on KJ’s hire, I checked out their other topics and read some posts on NIL strategy.

One self proclaimed inside poster said Cooley - anticipating his first year would be a struggle - purposely held back a significant chunk of NIL last year so he could have a $5 mil plus pool available this year to significantly up grade the team for the 24-25 season (I am paraphrasing off memory).

Anyway, I post this because I am starting to wonder if we (Archie - with approval from the administration and key boosters) could be doing the same as Cooley did last year but for multiple years to get us to a solid NIL footing before going all in on higher level talent ?

Well I’d think that’s BS because they lost their best players already from last year.

They made a horrible hire with Cooley. And a worse contract.

Even if their NIL was “held back” they had MILLIONS - significantly more than UConn. UConn lost 3 NBA players and repeated a title. Georgetown will hang a banner that says “beat DePaul twice.”
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago While visiting the GU board looking for news on KJ’s hire, I checked out their other topics and read some posts on NIL strategy.

Well I’d think that’s BS because they lost their best players already from last year.

Even if their NIL was “held back” they had MILLIONS - significantly more than UConn. UConn lost 3 NBA players and repeated a title. Georgetown will hang a banner that says “beat DePaul twice.”

David Cox was a horrible hire. Gerry D was a horrible hire. Kyle Neptune was a horrible hire.

Please explain how Cooley was a horrible hire. That is a pretty bad take.

Cooley brought PC back from the irrelevance and is 100% responsible for where that program is now with NIL, talent, attendance, etc.

He’s already brought in multiple talented wing players and GT will much better in short order.

In no world was Ed Cooley a horrible hire for Georgetown.

The guy is a pompous arrogant a hole who is as fake as they come but he can coach and win in the Big East. It’s been proven.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago

David Cox was a horrible hire. Gerry D was a horrible hire. Kyle Neptune was a horrible hire.

Cooley brought PC back from the irrelevance and is 100% responsible for where that program is now with NIL, talent, attendance, etc.

He’s already brought in multiple talented wing players and GT will much better in short order.

The guy is a pompous arrogant a hole who is as fake as they come but he can coach and win in the Big East. It’s been proven.
And you now that Kenny will get elite talent there. He already got one of the top players in the portal and he's only been working there for a few hours. :lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

*cracks knuckles*

Georgetown paid ~$6M per year. That is the backdrop.

Ed Cooley, who no one at PC would say was a "great" coach, who had 1 NCAA win until his covid year team of 24 year old men went as far as they took themselves to the sweet 16, is the kind of guy that fits in a certain situation and may not work anywhere else.

Ed Cooley at Providence was all of those things. His recruiting style, how he presented himself...it was all a facade. How Georgetown thought that taking a guy who's entire recruiting pitch was "I'm at home" away from his home, and thinking that deserved top 5, top 10 coaching money is hilarious. Scour the tape and find one game that Ed Cooley won with his tactics or approach. He let his players roll the balls out. In regular season college basketball with a rowdy fan base, that's enough.

I'm not saying he wasn't a success at PC - it's an overwhelming fact he was.

But the take is pretty metered out as evidenced by this season's performance and the departures of top players already. You can't say that Georgetown is losing players because they can't pay them.

Yes, at a school like URI - there's a bell curve of a rebuild and funding that you judge a coaching hire on.

At Georgetown, specifically, and all of the BS Cooley spewed about "why" he wanted to go there...that doesn't apply. They have some of the deepest pockets in the nation. With the portal and NIL, getting 4 star HS and transfers from P5 teams, you don't get the luxury of having a "rebuild."

When you pay $6M per year for a coach and $3-$4M PER YEAR to pay your players...you are expected to win right away. Not a couple of games, a lot of them.

When you go to the NET rankings and search "George" you'll find Georgetown lower than George Mason and George Washington.

URI had the same amount of Q2 wins. Georgetown managed to lose a home game to #350 Holy Cross.

Ed Cooley could've gone on to having a "great" career at PC, where he'd probably never again make a Sweet 16, but dance a whole bunch and they would've given him a statue. There's air cover being the kind of coach that can overrecruit for your school and let them make you look good.

Cooley going to Georgetown ripped the mask off of who he really is, and now he's just going for hired guns and he can't even win with them.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good point and counter, Blueman. However, even given that the GU poster is blowing smoke, I am not interested in GU but more interested in the strategy and more focused on my question as it may or may not apply to a strategy for Archie with a growing NIL pool.

To me, it ties in to his statement of, we will be good when we are good. I have mostly only outside knowledge but from the outside I translate that as: be patient, we have things that are being put in place (facilities, NIL, culture, etc.) that will take time - due to changes in cbb and more changes coming - to get this program to stability as a consistent, top 4-5 program in the A10.

Therefore, sacrificing short-term results for long term stability may be the plan ?

I really don’t know. I am just trying to justify where we have been the last 2 years and where we are going. I post my questions here because many here have clearer insight into the program than I do and so I hope they can share what they can.

That said, I do have confidence that Archie has a well thought out, logical plan. Imho, he is too smart and experienced not to have one. But, I understand that he may have had to or has to adjust his plan due to changes or something(s) not going as expected as to goal attainment or timing. But, he and the administration are in agreement on the plan (whatever it is) and are willing to stay the course because they sincerely believe it is best for the program in the context of the changing cbb landscape.

What better time to recalibrate the program (after how DC left it) for a long term, bright future than with a new, cbb committed University President (Parlange) and new, experienced, committed head coach, like Archie.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would love nothing more than Ed Cooley falling flat on his face @ Gtown , he gets a pass year 1 but you would expect some improvement in year 2
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago Would love nothing more than Ed Cooley falling flat on his face @ Gtown , he gets a pass year 1 but you would expect some improvement in year 2
I just don't think you get a pass when you have unlimited money to go and buy a team.

If I'm a Gtown fan I think the most "tempered" of expectations when stealing a coach from within your own conference and then making him the highest paid in your conference, plus having the most NIL in your conference - my expectation would be a .500 conference record at minimum.

To get all of that and be only 2 wins better in the Big East than Patrick Ewing who went winless - that's a huge red flag.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago Would love nothing more than Ed Cooley falling flat on his face @ Gtown , he gets a pass year 1 but you would expect some improvement in year 2
I just don't think you get a pass when you have unlimited money to go and buy a team.

If I'm a Gtown fan I think the most "tempered" of expectations when stealing a coach from within your own conference and then making him the highest paid in your conference, plus having the most NIL in your conference - my expectation would be a .500 conference record at minimum.

To get all of that and be only 2 wins better in the Big East than Patrick Ewing who went winless - that's a huge red flag.
Yup and let’s hope they don’t win more than 10–12 games in year 2 and we can laugh even more !
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

“Unlimited money” is a stretch. More than PC at the time? Sure.

Do you have data that shows they had the most NIL in conference? Or just guessing to try and prove a point? They very well could, I have no idea. Haven't seen any numbers.

Also, you’ve said multiple times fans of teams can’t expect an overnight rebuild. You didn’t put any caveats onto that statement.

But now you’re saying GT shouldn’t get a pass and should have been much improved?

Contradicting yourself there a bit.

GT has been an absolute dumpster fire, zero buzz, minimal fanbase, attendance in the shitter, no talent on the team.

Again, saying Cooley was a horrible hire is an outlandish and exaggerated take, but I know that’s kinda your thing.

Cox, Gerry D, Neptune, Billy Gillespie, Jim Christian all were horrible hires.

Cannot put Cooley into that category. It’s been one season.
1 x
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Updated with Lawrence commit:

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Do you have data that shows they had the most NIL in conference? Or just guessing to try and prove a point? They very well could, I have no idea. Haven't seen any numbers.

Also, you’ve said multiple times fans of teams can’t expect an overnight rebuild. You didn’t put any caveats onto that statement.

But now you’re saying GT shouldn’t get a pass and should have been much improved?

GT has been an absolute dumpster fire, zero buzz, minimal fanbase, attendance in the shitter, no talent on the team.

Again, saying Cooley was a horrible hire is an outlandish and exaggerated take, but I know that’s kinda your thing.

Dude go back and read the other post you comment on where I say different situations get different bell curves.

Between our schticks, where I make grandiose sarcastic statements to prove a point, and you intentionally dilute yourself to just take an obstinate position for argument’s sake, I’ll take my schtick 10/10 times.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Hammond de-commit:

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago

Dude go back and read the other post you comment on where I say different situations get different bell curves.

Between our schticks, where I make grandiose sarcastic statements to prove a point, and you intentionally dilute yourself to just take an obstinate position for argument’s sake, I’ll take my schtick 10/10 times.
It's important for a healthy, inclusive, message board to have a diversity of schtick.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hate to lose Ben but great to add D Lawrence !

Even if Ben came here and had a great season the odds were probably low that we had him more than 1 year
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

CamsRams wrote: 1 week ago Updated with Hammond de-commit:

RhodyMBB_Grid.png

Best to not use ink on this chart. Pencil only. :lol:
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Bassy commit:

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is there a cutoff date for when players can enter the portal?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago Is there a cutoff date for when players can enter the portal?
May 1
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I’m guessing one more enters the portal after today
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 week ago I’m guessing one more enters the portal after today
Very possible
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 week ago I’m guessing one more enters the portal after today
Cam?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Ncaa tournament here we come. If this means we lose Estevez or House that's bad. Kortright or Wright ok I guess.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Always. Cam would be a bigger loss.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s get a couple of bigs now !
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 week ago Always. Cam would be a bigger loss.
How about no one leaves. 6 guards, 1 still developmental (Ways). We are going to play 3 guards, plenty of minutes.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe……if we change to an uptempo belly to belly to belly 94 ft pressing defense as soon as they toss the ball up….run platoons in and out, but, “we ………………………..”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why do we need a scholarship tracker anymore? Can't we just pay the tuition from the NIL if needed? If we want 20 players, what's stopping us?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think scholarships should be cut to 11. The 12th and 13th men on almost every team is in the portal, I bet. What's the point of paying 13 players in addition to them having a free ride when the bottom 2 on the roster are unlikely to stay? I would have said 10, but you might need that 11th guy in case of injury. Even if there are 2 or 3 injuries on a team, the 12th and 13th guy still aren't going to play and will end up in the portal.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Serious question. Are minimum credit load, minimum GPA, graduation rates etc, still a thing any more? It must be fun being in the admissions offices across the land?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

105, that might go the way of commitments, senior night, the dodo bird….
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago Serious question. Are minimum credit load, minimum GPA, graduation rates etc, still a thing any more? It must be fun being in the admissions offices across the land?
Remember how important APR was? How can that be applied now with so much movement which undoubtedly will lead to lower graduation rates?
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
section(105) wrote: 1 week ago Serious question. Are minimum credit load, minimum GPA, graduation rates etc, still a thing any more? It must be fun being in the admissions offices across the land?
Remember how important APR was? How can that be applied now with so much movement which undoubtedly will lead to lower graduation rates?
Asked this question in another thread about Miranda. Maybe he’d have to write Parlange an essay to enroll at URI?

😆
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago
Asked this question in another thread about Miranda. Maybe he’d have to write Parlange an essay to enroll at URI?

😆
Hmmmm.....I wonder who the ghost writer is these days.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm away from my computer, so I can't do a ton of searching right now. But last time I looked, graduation rates have increased, because players have more of an incentive to stay eligible - because they can play immediately.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/12/6/med ... highs.aspx
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 week ago
I'm away from my computer, so I can't do a ton of searching right now. But last time I looked, graduation rates have increased, because players have more of an incentive to stay eligible - because they can play immediately.

And....I've been asked not to mention this for a day, but too late for today...um, get p-zaid?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

And....I've been asked not to mention this for a day, but too late for today...um, get p-zaid?
Sure. I mean, I don't know if the numbers are available publicly, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a record number of fifth, sixth and beyond year athletes as well. An unexpected consequence of NIL and more transferring is probably players delaying pro careers for longer, because the NIL money is comparable.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

Sure. I mean, I don't know if the numbers are available publicly, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a record number of fifth, sixth and beyond year athletes as well. An unexpected consequence of NIL and more transferring is probably players delaying pro careers for longer, because the NIL money is comparable.
And, I wonder how many kids are getting good (or some/any) nil dough (if you're in college on a scholarship and getting nil dough, compared to not playing pro ball or having a job, it's good nil dough, ) that will never play a second of professional basketball?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Sorta related, in NY Post, Phil Mushnik had a note on the trend for 8th grade hoops kids to use social media to post their decision on high school choice. And some service the rates 6th graders.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The NCAA also just announced some rules a few days ago regarding academic eligibility requirements in order to transfer and be immediately eligible. I'm surprised more people didn't notice this since so many people pretend to suddenly care about players education. :lol:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/med ... rules.aspx
Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes would have to have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing. For graduate transfer student-athletes to be eligible, they would have to earn a degree from their previous school, leave while academically eligible and be enrolled as a full-time postgraduate student while continuing to satisfy minimum academic standards.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting that, Adam.

I have no idea if this step will slow the flow of transfers at all but I do wonder if this is a first step of several from the NCAA to try to slow the flow ?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago Thanks for posting that, Adam.

I have no idea if this step will slow the flow of transfers at all but I do wonder if this is a first step of several from the NCAA to try to slow the flow ?
Yeah, I don't know if that's part of their reasoning or not. My guess would be probably not, but ultimately who knows! :D

I guess it comes down to how many players are transferring now that wouldn't meet the academic requirements they are talking about.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, players have had 5 years to play and 5 years to graduate. That is ending this year. Watch what happens to the rates when players are playing at 3 or 4 schools in 4 years.
1 x