URI Rhode to Excellence Poll

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Have you or do you intend to contribute to the URI Rhode to Excellence?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 53

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: URI Rhode to Excellence Poll

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Yes it is my fault we didn’t get to keep Hammond
Ok, now I can sleep at night
Thank you for pointing that out
I just hope those who have given ransom money are sleeping ok too now that our cornerstone prize recruit just left us at the altar

And that’s the issue - you comit money to players who don’t commit to you

NCAA is laughing all the way to the bank - they keep their money and let the fans pay the players vs them

PONZI
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Season ‘24-‘25……..if we suckish again it will be because the participation in the Collective was not enough, if we are decent it will be because Archie is great Coach? Just asking for a friend.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 week ago

If everyone on this board gave $10 like you said, I bet Hammond becomes affordable. I hold anyone who can donate but chooses not to accountable.
He was affordable. We got him.

Kenny left. The money wasn’t everything when that happened.
I refuse to believe that he doesn't "have a price."

If he goes to George Mason, then we lost out due to NIL. If URI can't outbid the value of an assistant coach at GM then we have a joke of a collective. Our collective is only as strong as the fanbase who donates to it.
George Mason is 16.1 miles from Paul VI

Chance to play in front of family and friends. Practically in his backyard.

Just because he de-commits from URI doesn’t mean it’s 100% due to money and entirely to blame on the URI fan base Collective performance.

Hammond’s stock has risen since he committed to URI. He jumped to 4-star. His team became highly ranked Nationally. He got high visibility his Senior year. He displayed strong defense, improved his shooting, high assist/turnover ratio while playing against strong competition.

His de-committing is not really any different from any of the 1,800+ who will enter the portal this year……it’s simply that he is entering the Portal in Year Zero. Best of luck.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is he goes to a power conference.

It's a combination of money and going big time.

GM? I doubt it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 week ago My guess is he goes to a power conference.

It's a combination of money and going big time.

GM? I doubt it.
I doubt George Mason as well, but it’s a good “stay at home” option if he prefers that. Why go to URI if he can stay in A10 16 miles from home?

I agree he goes P5 which is where he would end up after a year at URI anyway. 1-bid Conference with 15 teams or P5???? If he can play P5 why not. Surely recruiters are telling him he can play P5.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My guess is the Hammond departure and whoever the arrivals are will have little impact, either way in the response values here. Or the response rate, small sample size.
Last edited by section(105) 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Lawrence plays well here next season, there's at least a chance he stays here for his senior season.

Hammond most assuredly would not do the same for another season.

Kiss off any chance of developing players over 4 years anymore.
2 x
RIVB
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RIVB »

Like it or not NIL is the new reality. Its apparent that everyone who follows this website cares about the success of this team. It's fair to say that we are all disappointed with the results on the court the past few years, and the transient nature of the roster. If a stronger collective makes us more competitive in recruiting and keeping our players, this group should be at the forefront of giving to the collective. It doesn't need to be much. If 1% of all URI alumni gave just $10/month it would make a huge impact. I'd like to think that all URI alums can find $10/month to contribute. The longer we lag behind the longer we will toil in mediocracy and the harder it will be for us to get back to the top of the A10 and regular appearances in the tournament. Yes, we will bring in players that don't pan out; Yes, we will have players use us a stepping stone to higher profile programs; but without the ability to play the NIL game we don't stand a chance anymore. It takes less than 5 minutes to sign up. I highly encourage everyone to contribute something, the joy we all receive from watching this team play meaningful games has got to be worth at least a small contribution.

https://rhodyexcellence.com/
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIVB wrote: 1 week ago Like it or not NIL is the new reality. Its apparent that everyone who follows this website cares about the success of this team. It's fair to say that we are all disappointed with the results on the court the past few years, and the transient nature of the roster. If a stronger collective makes us more competitive in recruiting and keeping our players, this group should be at the forefront of giving to the collective. It doesn't need to be much. If 1% of all URI alumni gave just $10/month it would make a huge impact. I'd like to think that all URI alums can find $10/month to contribute. The longer we lag behind the longer we will toil in mediocracy and the harder it will be for us to get back to the top of the A10 and regular appearances in the tournament. Yes, we will bring in players that don't pan out; Yes, we will have players use us a stepping stone to higher profile programs; but without the ability to play the NIL game we don't stand a chance anymore. It takes less than 5 minutes to sign up. I highly encourage everyone to contribute something, the joy we all receive from watching this team play meaningful games has got to be worth at least a small contribution.

It's not a joy for me. I'm not interested in seeing basically a completely new team every year. These kids don't care about URI. Why should I care about them? We will never see a T.J. Buchanan here again, whose love of the school was so apparent. Those are the players I cheered for. Guys who come here for one year as freshmen, then leave. Guys who transfer here and stay one year, maybe two. Guys who commit and never set foot on campus. They aren't here because they love the same school that we did. There is no longer any connection with these kids. This is college basketball in 2024 and I don't want any part of it.Not only will I not donate to NIL, I will never go to a URI basketball game again. Not interested. Been a fan for 55 years and I'm done. I will find much better ways to spend my time and money. Good luck trying to raise money when you have no idea who that money is going to. I thought my money was going to Ben Hammond. Oh well...
8 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, I'm close to joining you

It's really tough to get invested in this sport anymore.

I've decided to continue my donation to the program, but not to NIL. What's the NIL anyway now?

Until some sanity is restored at least. I'll be on the outside looking in.

This game is for the rich, like everything else is.
2 x
RIVB
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RIVB »

78s I understand your sentiment. I wrestle with it myself. I too long for the time when we could bring in a two or three star freshman, have them stay 4 years and develop into an all A10 player. The time of enticing them with fancy locker and weight rooms, and living down the line are gone. Its become all about the $$$. While giving to the athletic department is helpful. My thinking is that better players will drive more money into the program and university than better facilities. Better players -> More wins -> Sell more tickets -> More fans/higher profile tv games/more viewers -> More $$$ for athletic department/university and collective -> Better players...and so on.

Maybe it is not for everyone, but I have decided to put blaming the players, coaches and AD to the side for now and doing what I can to help. When a lot of people just do a little bit you can create a snowball effect that results in big change. Mr. Ryan has done his part to get it rolling, if would be great if the rest of us would to whatever we can to build upon his contributions to the program. Every little bit helps.

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIVB wrote: 1 week ago 78s I understand your sentiment. I wrestle with it myself. I too long for the time when we could bring in a two or three star freshman, have them stay 4 years and develop into an all A10 player. The time of enticing them with fancy locker and weight rooms, and living down the line are gone. Its become all about the $$$. While giving to the athletic department is helpful. My thinking is that better players will drive more money into the program and university than better facilities. Better players -> More wins -> Sell more tickets -> More fans/higher profile tv games/more viewers -> More $$$ for athletic department/university and collective -> Better players...and so on.

Maybe it is not for everyone, but I have decided to put blaming the players, coaches and AD to the side for now and doing what I can to help. When a lot of people just do a little bit you can create a snowball effect that results in big change. Mr. Ryan has done his part to get it rolling, if would be great if the rest of us would to whatever we can to build upon his contributions to the program. Every little bit helps.

I don't blame the players, coaches or AD. I blame the NCAA and the system. The players and coaches have the right to take advantage of the horrible system in any way they can. I like amateur sports. Although I like pro sports too, there was always something different about amateur sports. Jiggy Williamson and Stanley Wright were my classmates. I could relate to them at the time. I couldn't really relate to John Havlicek and Dave Cowens. College basketball is no longer an amateur sport. Players come. You bat an eye, and they're gone. Just not interested. If some day, things change and it's not just complete chaos, I might renew my interest. But the way it is now? No chance.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect which means I can say whatever I want now, you have 8 posts since Jamarques Lawrence committed last night. That's not exactly the posting pattern of someone that doesn't care or isn't interested
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect which means I can say whatever I want now, you have 8 posts since Jamarques Lawrence committed last night. That's not exactly the posting pattern of someone that doesn't care or isn't interested
Was thinking the same thing. It is trending towards angry troll status.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago Season ‘24-‘25……..if we suckish again it will be because the participation in the Collective was not enough, if we are decent it will be because Archie is great Coach? Just asking for a friend.
Is there a NET ranking for collectives yet ? :D
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
RIVB wrote: 1 week ago 78s I understand your sentiment. I wrestle with it myself. I too long for the time when we could bring in a two or three star freshman, have them stay 4 years and develop into an all A10 player. The time of enticing them with fancy locker and weight rooms, and living down the line are gone. Its become all about the $$$. While giving to the athletic department is helpful. My thinking is that better players will drive more money into the program and university than better facilities. Better players -> More wins -> Sell more tickets -> More fans/higher profile tv games/more viewers -> More $$$ for athletic department/university and collective -> Better players...and so on.

I don't blame the players, coaches or AD. I blame the NCAA and the system. The players and coaches have the right to take advantage of the horrible system in any way they can. I like amateur sports. Although I like pro sports too, there was always something different about amateur sports. Jiggy Williamson and Stanley Wright were my classmates. I could relate to them at the time. I couldn't really relate to John Havlicek and Dave Cowens. College basketball is no longer an amateur sport. Players come. You bat an eye, and they're gone. Just not interested. If some day, things change and it's not just complete chaos, I might renew my interest. But the way it is now? No chance.

WELL SAID

you can be my spokesperson..
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RIVB wrote: 1 week ago Like it or not NIL is the new reality. Its apparent that everyone who follows this website cares about the success of this team. It's fair to say that we are all disappointed with the results on the court the past few years, and the transient nature of the roster. If a stronger collective makes us more competitive in recruiting and keeping our players, this group should be at the forefront of giving to the collective. It doesn't need to be much. If 1% of all URI alumni gave just $10/month it would make a huge impact. I'd like to think that all URI alums can find $10/month to contribute. The longer we lag behind the longer we will toil in mediocracy and the harder it will be for us to get back to the top of the A10 and regular appearances in the tournament. Yes, we will bring in players that don't pan out; Yes, we will have players use us a stepping stone to higher profile programs; but without the ability to play the NIL game we don't stand a chance anymore. It takes less than 5 minutes to sign up. I highly encourage everyone to contribute something, the joy we all receive from watching this team play meaningful games has got to be worth at least a small contribution.

It's not a joy for me. I'm not interested in seeing basically a completely new team every year. These kids don't care about URI. Why should I care about them? We will never see a T.J. Buchanan here again, whose love of the school was so apparent. Those are the players I cheered for. Guys who come here for one year as freshmen, then leave. Guys who transfer here and stay one year, maybe two. Guys who commit and never set foot on campus. They aren't here because they love the same school that we did. There is no longer any connection with these kids. This is college basketball in 2024 and I don't want any part of it.Not only will I not donate to NIL, I will never go to a URI basketball game again. Not interested. Been a fan for 55 years and I'm done. I will find much better ways to spend my time and money. Good luck trying to raise money when you have no idea who that money is going to. I thought my money was going to Ben Hammond. Oh well...
78, very good post that got me thinking…

When I stop and think about how players have been separated from the college community via separate dorms and other housing, facilities, dining and other ways I can’t think of right now, it isn’t surprising to me that a sense of loyalty has been lost.

Seems like an unintended consequence of catering to athletes ?

I was immersed in the community during my time at Rhody so my perspective is different from theirs.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect which means I can say whatever I want now, you have 8 posts since Jamarques Lawrence committed last night. That's not exactly the posting pattern of someone that doesn't care or isn't interested
I'm easing my way out. It ain't easy. :lol:
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Come on slackers

Must give more

Must keep the ncaa richer and you poorer !

https://x.com/rhodyexcellence/status/17 ... 9170087058
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 week ago Was thinking the same thing. It is trending towards angry troll status.
Yeah, I mean ECR already admitted that half his posts are just trolling, so it's not really a stretch.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Here is my two cents. Worst I have ever felt about Rhody hoops. I dont like the state of College Bbal or most other College TV Sports. But good or bad in order to have a chance at winning games we need to support NIL. I am signed up for a yearly subscription. I aslo believe that Archie is a great coach and hasnt had the talent to compete.

I get the disgust with "commitment" but URI is in the taint as they say. We are not in the big leagues and we are not in the basement of teams So in order to tread water we need $$$$

I'm in on donating. Been a consistent donor since I graduated. Hoping for a better 24-25
6 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I saw Oumar Ballo's asking price was $1.2M per Jeff Goodman. Would love to know what kinda payroll you need to be in the top tier of the A10. I would imagine a $1M payroll would field us a damn good mid major squad. Looking at you Ryan, Fascitelli, Soloviev, etc.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URIFIJI wrote: 1 week ago Here is my two cents. Worst I have ever felt about Rhody hoops. I dont like the state of College Bbal or most other College TV Sports. But good or bad in order to have a chance at winning games we need to support NIL. I am signed up for a yearly subscription. I aslo believe that Archie is a great coach and hasnt had the talent to compete.

I get the disgust with "commitment" but URI is in the taint as they say. We are not in the big leagues and we are not in the basement of teams So in order to tread water we need $$$$

I'm in on donating. Been a consistent donor since I graduated. Hoping for a better 24-25
Co-sign every word.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If this really is about name, image and likeness, why don't the players get the TV money? After all, it's their names, images and likenesses we see on the TV screen.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 1 week ago I saw Oumar Ballo's asking price was $1.2M per Jeff Goodman. Would love to know what kinda payroll you need to be in the top tier of the A10. I would imagine a $1M payroll would field us a damn good mid major squad. Looking at you Ryan, Fascitelli, Soloviev, etc.
But you're asking them to donate that kind of money every single year, or we don't get any good new players and lose the good players we already have.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 week ago If this really is about name, image and likeness, why don't the players get the TV money? After all, it's their names, images and likenesses we see on the TV screen.

somehow NCAA has avoided paying players and left it up to the fans

have to admit.. its a genius move...

2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 week ago If this really is about name, image and likeness, why don't the players get the TV money? After all, it's their names, images and likenesses we see on the TV screen.
Umm, that case is in court, and if it goes in the players favor schools are going to owe a massive amount of money, including back pay.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -ncaa-case

The amount of crying on here about NIL is going to seem quaint and people are going to wish we stayed here if and when the NCAA loses this case
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote: 1 week ago I saw Oumar Ballo's asking price was $1.2M per Jeff Goodman. Would love to know what kinda payroll you need to be in the top tier of the A10. I would imagine a $1M payroll would field us a damn good mid major squad. Looking at you Ryan, Fascitelli, Soloviev, etc.
But you're asking them to donate that kind of money every single year, or we don't get any good new players and lose the good players we already have.
That appears to be parameters we’re working in these days, so yes. What’s the alternative? We aren’t going to field an elite team by holding a bake sale.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Because it has nothing to do with name, image and likeness. That was the original law suit but it has morphed to direct pay for play system. Unintended consequence of the law suit is what I would say. I do not think anyone saw this coming. I know we love to bash the NCAA here but they did try to step in and put some restrictions on the NIL to prevent this pay for play system. You can thank a couple of state attorney generals from Virginia and Tennessee which sued the NCAA to prevent them "from thwarting the free market". Can't make this shit up.

https://www.oag.state.va.us/media-cente ... 0Tennessee.

Now that it has morphed into this, I do think how they are paid needs to change. Being 100% paid directly from fans and donors is not a viable long term solution in my opinion. I think it should be a shared model, maybe 25% donors and fans, 25% school (I know they are not allowed to now) and 50% from the NCAA. That last option would be a tier type system where some schools are paid more than others. They could pay for this by decreasing the pay outs of making the NCAA. So same pool just allocated differently.

There is no other way around it. The current system sucks. I can see why a lot of people are out. But the posts made by RIVB really resonated with me. I agree with almost everything he or she said. I am in for the short term hoping that a solution like the one above is found for the long term.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 1 week ago
That appears to be parameters we’re working in these days, so yes. What’s the alternative? We aren’t going to field an elite team by holding a bake sale.
What about Girl Scout Cookies? They're a big seller. :lol:
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago
Umm, that case is in court, and if it goes in the players favor schools are going to owe a massive amount of money, including back pay.

The amount of crying on here about NIL is going to seem quaint and people are going to wish we stayed here if and when the NCAA loses this case
Really, quaint? It's the media rights that is the bag of gold. If the media companies don't want to pay, then they get no teams on tv. They will have a few games per week of teams that markets will not watch. And we will go back to like '98 when I had to listen to most URI games on the radio, cause they weren't televised. Sorry, the media companies created this, and either they pay, or they lose content.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I do believe this has been mentioned multy times. All responses are pretty much the same, "yeah, sucks, that just the way it is, pony up or shut up"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago

somehow NCAA has avoided paying players and left it up to the fans

have to admit.. its a genius move...

CLASSIC. One of my all time favorite movies
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I would double my monthly donation if it came with a box of tagalongs. Those things are incredible.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago

I would double my monthly donation if it came with a box of tagalongs. Those things are incredible.
My daughter was in girl scouts about 20 years ago and my wife was the troop leader. She was in charge of the cookies. We had hundreds of boxes in our house. I ate WAY too many of them myself. :lol:
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago
My daughter was in girl scouts about 20 years ago and my wife was the troop leader. She was in charge of the cookies. We had hundreds of boxes in our house. I ate WAY too many of them myself. :lol:
Haha I would have to move out if I was ever in that situation. I'm so glad they only sell them for a limited time or I would be in big trouble.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

When conferences and schools can just straight up pay without the round about ways they do now, the power dynamics will shift even more between the haves and have-nots.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote: 1 week ago

When conferences and schools can just straight up pay without the round about ways they do now, the power dynamics will shift even more between the haves and have-nots.
Someone mentions wanting media rights holders to pay the athletes. What do you think ESPN's payout to A10 schools will look like compared to other conferences? Might as well be D2 at that point, the gap will be that wide
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Someone mentions wanting media rights holders to pay the athletes. What do you think ESPN's payout to A10 schools will look like compared to other conferences? Might as well be D2 at that point, the gap will be that wide
Exactly.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The crazy thing is, as much as it doesn't seem like it, if you truly believe it's all about the money this is the most equal college basketball has been in decades and the most equal it will be once the players are considered employees. UCLA and John Wooden were paying players and nothing happened, but if URI was doing the same thing we'd get nailed with sanctions. The old NCAA always hammered the smaller schools harder. And once players are considered employees and can tap into TV, ticket, other revenue bigger schools are going to have a lot more money to offer than A10 and other conferences and there will be no way to bridge the gap.

This is one small time period where donors can have the most influence on what type of roster their school has without incurring the wrath of a legislative body. And we've got people that don't want to participate because they don't like what's happening but still want to bitch about the product.

And yeah, small donations by themselves don't matter, but pile up enough of them and it makes a difference. And don't you think the heavy hitters that can truly make a difference would be more motivated if they saw a groundswell of support as opposed to seeing very little and thinking "oh well, it's entirely up to me again and no one really cares"?
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

this is equal ?

doesn't feel equal when our best recruit leaves after committing to us
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago this is equal ?

doesn't feel equal when our best recruit leaves after committing to us
It's never been equal. It never will be equal
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 week ago The crazy thing is, as much as it doesn't seem like it, if you truly believe it's all about the money this is the most equal college basketball has been in decades and the most equal it will be once the players are considered employees. UCLA and John Wooden were paying players and nothing happened, but if URI was doing the same thing we'd get nailed with sanctions. The old NCAA always hammered the smaller schools harder. And once players are considered employees and can tap into TV, ticket, other revenue bigger schools are going to have a lot more money to offer than A10 and other conferences and there will be no way to bridge the gap.

This is one small time period where donors can have the most influence on what type of roster their school has without incurring the wrath of a legislative body. And we've got people that don't want to participate because they don't like what's happening but still want to bitch about the product.

And yeah, small donations by themselves don't matter, but pile up enough of them and it makes a difference. And don't you think the heavy hitters that can truly make a difference would be more motivated if they saw a groundswell of support as opposed to seeing very little and thinking "oh well, it's entirely up to me again and no one really cares"?
Call it what you want, but is a bunch of garbage that has made people lose interest in the sport. There were no Cinderella’s in the sweet 16 this year-I’m not counting NC State from a power conference. The players all should have gotten a similar amount to go with their scholarship. I wouldn’t give a dollar to the NIL. If they aren’t good I really don’t care anymore and am used to it anyway. Giving donations for these greedy kids rather than money to my kids college or other things is ridiculous. I had season tickets and gave money. I do neither anymore. Too bad the money for the practice facility couldn’t have been used on the NIl. None of these kids coming in care about that any longer
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How clueless do you have to be to look at this whole situation and come away thinking the players are the ones who are greedy.
4 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago How clueless do you have to be to look at this whole situation and come away thinking the players are the ones who are greedy.
There is some crazy thought among people on this board and writ large that the scholarship should be enough. Student-athletes at the D1 level are working two jobs. One as a student, one as an athlete. They literally have no time to pick up a work-study or part-time paying gig due to the obligations they have as an athlete. I don't think people understand the amount of work these kids are doing. IMO, they should have been paid all along in addition to the scholarships. To come around and say the players are a problem is such a joke. Yeah, we had a commit decommit. Guess what, I think 99% of us would do the same. His connection to the school left. He doesn't owe anyone here anything.
4 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

And for the record, I don't think the current structure is great but I know it's the reality that we live in now. If I could wave a magic wand, I think the NCAA should set a floor and cap to provide parity.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago How clueless do you have to be to look at this whole situation and come away thinking the players are the ones who are greedy.
There is some crazy thought among people on this board and writ large that the scholarship should be enough. Student-athletes at the D1 level are working two jobs. One as a student, one as an athlete. They literally have no time to pick up a work-study or part-time paying gig due to the obligations they have as an athlete. I don't think people understand the amount of work these kids are doing. IMO, they should have been paid all along in addition to the scholarships. To come around and say the players are a problem is such a joke. Yeah, we had a commit decommit. Guess what, I think 99% of us would do the same. His connection to the school left. He doesn't owe anyone here anything.

i agree the player can do whatever is best for them personally - as long as people here can say the same thing that a fan can do whatever is best for them personally

(like that i did there ?!?!).. LOL
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking it just as likely he left because his PT left...and no fault on the kid there...the rules are the rules and he didn't break any
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Not sure if should post this here or the NIL thread as they seem to be the same conversation topic...but this should get blueram going...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... hletes-nil
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What about Ben's reported great and immediate connection with Archie?
1 x