Questions for Thorr and Stone

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Questions for Thorr and Stone

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hey everyone,

I've spoken with Thorr about the concerns of some fans on our message board who seem hesitant to donate without a clear understanding of where their contributions are directed. I proposed the idea of compiling a list of questions from our fanbase and sending them to both him and Stone, hoping they can address these concerns. Thorr has agreed to this approach.

If anyone has questions about Rhody Excellence or donations in general, please reply to this message. If we gather enough questions and interest, we may be able to arrange a Zoom meeting with Stone as well. For now, I'll be compiling a list of questions to send to them.

I genuinely hope that this effort will encourage some of you to donate, even if it's just a small amount. Every dollar counts, as cliché as it may sound. I'm tired of seeing our team underperform, and I believe our fanbase can play a crucial role in helping us win games in March.

Go Rhody!!
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Re: Questions for Thorr and Stone

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

I don’t know if Thorr can actually answer this but most of us have been wondering exactly how much URI currently has for NIL.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Will there be an option on Rhody excellence website to choose what program your contributions go to?
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Will there be an annual report provided by Rhody Excellence for all donors? Would this include both financial and program activities?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Thank you for taking this initiative. Hopefully will increase your knowledge.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It seems a lot of people who have been donating to Rhody Athletics for years will now be putting their donations into Rhody Excellence. This money will be going to the players. In the past, donations were used to help fund upgrades to the program, such as the practice facility, chartered flights to games and other things such as recruiting expenses, etc. I'm sure even the big donors have a limit as to what they donate. Since the money donated to Rhody Excellence is going to the players, where will the money come from to continue the recent upgrades such as the chartered flights, increase in coaching salary pool and future necessary upgrades to facilities and the program? (Sorry, I know it's a long question)
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago It seems a lot of people who have been donating to Rhody Athletics for years will now be putting their donations into Rhody Excellence. This money will be going to the players. In the past, donations were used to help fund upgrades to the program, such as the practice facility, chartered flights to games and other things such as recruiting expenses, etc. I'm sure even the big donors have a limit as to what they donate. Since the money donated to Rhody Excellence is going to the players, where will the money come from to continue the recent upgrades such as the chartered flights, increase in coaching salary pool and future necessary upgrades to facilities and the program? (Sorry, I know it's a long question)
Great question.
2 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Who makes the decisions on amount each player gets?
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago Will there be an option on Rhody excellence website to choose what program your contributions go to?
When I contributed it did give you options as to where the contributions go. I specifically picked the MBB program.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As far as I can tell it looks like with a one time contribution you can select where it goes, but with a monthly donation it does not have that option. Maybe that would be a good question to get some clarification on. Like if we want it to go only to MBB is it better for us to make a one time yearly contribution instead of a monthly one for example.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Who makes the decisions on amount each player gets?
Couldn't Rhody15 answer this? He states that the school can not be a part of NIL. So I would think no University employee can control where the money goes.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Roz wrote: 2 weeks ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago Will there be an option on Rhody excellence website to choose what program your contributions go to?
When I contributed it did give you options as to where the contributions go. I specifically picked the MBB program.
Hmmm interesting.

Just logged into my account that’s already active and there was no option to do that.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Hmmm interesting.

Just logged into my account that’s already active and there was no option to do that.
Same I didn't see the option to donate to the men either. I'll add it to the list of questions.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Does anyone monitor the info@rhodyexcellence.com for those who have monthly subscriptoins? I sent two very basic email questions, one about a refund they sent me and no response.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago
section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Who makes the decisions on amount each player gets?
Couldn't Rhody15 answer this? He states that the school can not be a part of NIL. So I would think no University employee can control where the money goes.
LOL...then who the eff does? And if the school, or the coach, isn't deciding who gets paid what, then who is? What if the NIL offers a guy X$, but the coach doesn't even want him on the team...how does that work? This is so stupid, it could get hilarious actually....(to some, it already is)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
LOL...then who the eff does? And if the school, or the coach, isn't deciding who gets paid what, then who is? What if the NIL offers a guy X$, but the coach doesn't even want him on the team...how does that work? This is so stupid, it could get hilarious actually....(to some, it already is)
Yep. Let’s say an Executive Director of a Collective(Bob)has any say on who gets what money, fans can sat, “these are Bob’s players…………..”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hah! That was my point. Folks are saying the University can't contribute or be involved with NIL. Yet they want everyone to donate to this pot of gold that no one knows who can use it?????
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago

Yep. Let’s say an Executive Director of a Collective(Bob)has any say on who gets what money, fans can say, “these are Bob’s players…………..”
oh, ok, so it IS a cluster....no questions needed?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Hmmm interesting.

I guess I am mistaken.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hmmm interesting.

I guess I am mistaken.
You saw what you saw, I’m not saying you weren’t able to pick a program to donate.

Just was pointing out I wasn’t able to.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6. Points then 2 Questions:

Point #1. P5 schools get between $30 to $70 million per year from media contracts (includes Football, Basketball…). Mid majors get much less especially if they have no Football program. Schools/Conferences also benefit from NCAA MBB/WBB Tournament windfall money each year.
Point #2. Head Coaches receive huge salaries and often break their contracts for better deals
Point #3. NIL was introduced so players could benefit from their own, personal Name, Image, Likeness
Point #4. Players can now transfer without penalty and Portal averages 1800 per year in MBB alone for 350 teams
Point #5. Collectives are being quickly created by schools and donations being aggressively sought under guise of NIL for player recruitment and retainment.
Point #6. Fans assumed Players would get money from NIL. Fans also assumed if money were to be paid out to players directly it would come from what some would say are obscene profits by the Schools and the NCAA from Media and NCAA Tournament Profits.
Currently no money is going to pay the Players from the Schools or NCAA but fans are being aggressively asked to pay into the Collectives. Some schools have multiple Collectives already.

Question #1. What do you say to College Football and College Basketball fans who feel this request puts all the responsibility to pay the Players on Fans/Boosters while Schools and NCAA keep their “operating profits” unscathed?

Question #2. Who pays for the Collective Infrastructure including Executive Director Salary, and other current or future Collective Support Staff, Administrator or Collective Payments to Players, Legal Fees if Players contest process later on, Advertising, Collective Payment/Management System (in-house or contracted with 3rd party)? Does this come from Collective donations or from the School?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I have a question...

Why are we having so much difficulty signing decent players in spite of the fact we supposedly have money enough to sign them?

Are we in that bad of a sorry state that recruits are saying no to us?

Maybe that's not a question for Stone, but it sure the hell is for Thorr.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think the questions that focus on the operations of the Collective would be the ones that have the best chance of being answered. And maybe the questions would be pre submitted to Thor4 and Stone before any Zoom would happen or a podcast that could be posted here. The goal, I think, is for transparency to lead to increased Collective participation. That is the desired outcome. No?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago I think the questions that focus on the operations of the Collective would be the ones that have the best chance of being answered. And maybe the questions would be pre submitted to Thor4 and Stone before any Zoom would happen or a podcast that could be posted here. The goal, I think, is for transparency to lead to increased Collective participation. That is the desired outcome. No?
Seems very sausage-factory-esque....are we sure transparency will help?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago 6. Points then 2 Questions:

Point #1. P5 schools get between $30 to $70 million per year from media contracts (includes Football, Basketball…). Mid majors get much less especially if they have no Football program. Schools/Conferences also benefit from NCAA MBB/WBB Tournament windfall money each year.
Point #2. Head Coaches receive huge salaries and often break their contracts for better deals
Point #3. NIL was introduced so players could benefit from their own, personal Name, Image, Likeness
Point #4. Players can now transfer without penalty and Portal averages 1800 per year in MBB alone for 350 teams
Point #5. Collectives are being quickly created by schools and donations being aggressively sought under guise of NIL for player recruitment and retainment.
Point #6. Fans assumed Players would get money from NIL. Fans also assumed if money were to be paid out to players directly it would come from what some would say are obscene profits by the Schools and the NCAA from Media and NCAA Tournament Profits.
Currently no money is going to pay the Players from the Schools or NCAA but fans are being aggressively asked to pay into the Collectives. Some schools have multiple Collectives already.

Question #1. What do you say to College Football and College Basketball fans who feel this request puts all the responsibility to pay the Players on Fans/Boosters while Schools and NCAA keep their operating profits” unscathed?

Question #2. Who pays for the Collective Infrastructure including Executive Director Salary, and other current or future Collective Support Staff, Administrator or Collective Payments to Players, Legal Fees if Players contest process later on, Advertising, Collective Payment/Management System (in-house or contracted with 3rd party)? Does this come from Collective donations or from the School?
Great questions.
I'll be quite surprised if question 1 gets answered in a way that actually encourages NILDonations.
Surely, the NIL 101 training has a 'statement' for the fans that covers that?
"This is just the environment we find ourselves in and if we want to be competitive...blah blah blah..."
I'll be stunned if the "their operating profits unscathed" part ever gets addressed by anyone anywhere.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I thought NIL was to allow the players to make money off their name, image and likeness…how did that turn into the fans paying the players? I thought they were supposed to be able to get paid for gear sales with their names, or if a company wants to hire them as a spokesperson or for a personal appearance, etc. what advertising value am I going to get as a person who doesn’t own a company by donating to a collective. I understand there are “perks” for joining, but I don’t care about any of them…I just want BE players like Hurley used to get. 99.99% of these players have $0 advertising value or better said, nobody but the teams biggest fans have any idea who they are. So how did NIL get twisted into pay for play?
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I thought NIL was to allow the players to make money off their name, image and likeness…how did that turn into the fans paying the players? I thought they were supposed to be able to get paid for gear sales with their names, or if a company wants to hire them as a spokesperson or for a personal appearance, etc. what advertising value am I going to get as a person who doesn’t own a company by donating to a collective. I understand there are “perks” for joining, but I don’t care about any of them…I just want BE players like Hurley used to get. 99.99% of these players have $0 advertising value or better said, nobody but the teams biggest fans have any idea who they are. So how did NIL get twisted into pay for play?
Yes, would love to see who, how this happened. This is the “going off the rails” that I have mentioned. Maybe paying the players was an interpretation of the original tent of NIL and bigger programs just went for it, unchallenged by ncaa/anyone else, the smaller programs just followed to keep up?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago I think the questions that focus on the operations of the Collective would be the ones that have the best chance of being answered. And maybe the questions would be pre submitted to Thor4 and Stone before any Zoom would happen or a podcast that could be posted here. The goal, I think, is for transparency to lead to increased Collective participation. That is the desired outcome. No?
Seems very sausage-factory-esque....are we sure transparency will help?
No. But might help win a few over. And I guess could also turn some off.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

If I had a spare 2 million, but the donation was conditional upon it all going to a certain player or players, would they actually consider the idea? Let's say I had 5 million, could I pick the team? I really hope the answer is no, but in theory it could happen that way, right?
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 weeks ago If I had a spare 2 million, but the donation was conditional upon it all going to a certain player or players, would they actually consider the idea? Let's say I had 5 million, could I pick the team? I really hope the answer is no, but in theory it could happen that way, right?
Some of these big NIL boosters for P5 schools want a say in recruiting like this
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

It should have been a scholarship and a set amount for each player. If that isn’t good enough the could choose not to go to college. I have bought season tickets and up until 2 years ago and donated money to the university. No linger wasting money on season tickets and donations and zero percent chance of giving money for the NIL. By far the best sport in my eyes is garbage now. Pretty soon we can get 2-3 contracts setup with players making 15 million which they can escape if something better comes along. Players going to 4 different colleges. Complete joke
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What makes things a lot worse, is that not only is the system completely broken, our program is so far behind in talent and results.

We might have an NIL fund that ranks fairly high compared to our peers, but our results aren't showing shit at this point.

We need to add 3-4 impact players in the next few weeks, or else we are looking at another lost season.

We also imo are approaching a tipping point if things dont improve soon. As in a loss of fan support that will be hard to recover from.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Question for Thorr: Why is our broadcasting team holding a tarp up to cover them from the rain?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

By the way, Stone has a vested interest in collectives thriving as that is now how he at least partially makes a living. So don’t expect an unbiased answer and agreement about the mess it is. He probably even has incentive pay for growing it.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago By the way, Stone has a vested interest in collectives thriving as that is now how he at least partially makes a living. So don’t expect an unbiased answer and agreement about the mess it is. He probably even has incentive pay for growing it.
It is helpful to understand the landscape if we are going to traverse it.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Question: if NIL is soooooo important to you - will you ditch the black shower curtain for seats and use the revenue towards the NIL ?… or will continue to act like a fool in giving prime real estate to the press like we are John wooden’s UCLA teams ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 weeks ago Question for Thorr: Why is our broadcasting team holding a tarp up to cover them from the rain?
They choose to sit right behind the screen
It was not raining the entire game - shower hit.

This was yesterday (Sunday’s game) vs St Joseph’s.

The press box exists if cover is necessary. Could the press box and stands be better? Yes. But the stands are adequate for the number of fans who attend Baseball games. (March, April temperatures and wind often keep attendance limited to a degree)
IMG_3120.jpeg
IMG_3119.jpeg
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This guy enjoyed the game with a front row seat
IMG_3118.jpeg
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 weeks ago Question for Thorr: Why is our broadcasting team holding a tarp up to cover them from the rain?

The press box exists if cover is necessary. Could the press box and stands be better? Yes. But the stands are adequate for the number of fans who attend Baseball games. (March, April temperatures and wind often keep attendance limited to a degree)

IMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3119.jpeg
And we're going to spend about $10 million in the next few years to fix up Beck. Stands and the press box area are on the list
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Sounds like one of those "independent-expenditure" Super PACs which aren't supposed to coordinate with the candidates they're supporting.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

IMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3119.jpeg
They chose to risk that equipment getting ruined by the rain?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 weeks ago

IMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3119.jpeg
They chose to risk that equipment getting ruined by the rain?
As they did Sunday also.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago This guy enjoyed the game with a front row seat

IMG_3118.jpeg
Who’s dog is that ?
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Not a question. Just wanted to say I reached out to Thorr a few days before the Rhody student sailor/captains hat game this past season and asked if could mail a hat to my roommate (2013 alum) he emailed back immediately and a week later one arrived in his mail box. Love me some Thorr
4 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Question: Can local businesses advertise through the collective or sponsor collective events? Are they already? If so, can members of the collective get discounts to local businesses promoting within the collective? e.g. If Bob’s Auto Shop contributes to the collective and wants to offer exclusive discounts to members based on tier. If signups improve, then the collective can sell increased membership rates as a reason for additional businesses to contribute.

Are there similar channels where the collective can team up with local chambers of commerce? These fringe benefits could sell more fans to contribute and benefits spread to whole community.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

TexRam wrote: 1 week ago Question: Can local businesses advertise through the collective or sponsor collective events? Are they already? If so, can members of the collective get discounts to local businesses promoting within the collective? e.g. If Bob’s Auto Shop contributes to the collective and wants to offer exclusive discounts to members based on tier. If signups improve, then the collective can sell increased membership rates as a reason for additional businesses to contribute.

Are there similar channels where the collective can team up with local chambers of commerce? These fringe benefits could sell more fans to contribute and benefits spread to whole community.
Keep the ideas coming, TexRam. Adapt and overcome.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TexRam wrote: 1 week ago Question: Can local businesses advertise through the collective or sponsor collective events? Are they already? If so, can members of the collective get discounts to local businesses promoting within the collective? e.g. If Bob’s Auto Shop contributes to the collective and wants to offer exclusive discounts to members based on tier. If signups improve, then the collective can sell increased membership rates as a reason for additional businesses to contribute.

Not sure about the chamber of commerce thing, but as far as business's go it's possible and similar things have been done.

I believe it's the collective who represents the players help players get advertisement deals with particular business entities.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

Not sure about the chamber of commerce thing, but as far as business's go it's possible and similar things have been done.

I believe it's the collective who represents the players help players get advertisement deals with particular business entities.
I was thinking of a credit card tied to the collective - where every purchase kicks some proceed back to it. Not sure if that's possible but those are the things that can create money while u sleep.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

Meant to add more to this :

I have been a member of Tennessee's collective as a TN football fan for a while now, so I'm familiar so I'll tell you how it works.

Monthly subscriptions depending on how much you give you get :

Decals, T-shirts, autographs, access to events, content and tailgates. Tailgates with alcohol and food provided 😊 and former players hang out there often..like Jamal Lewis and Al Wilson.

The collective has gotten players deals with certain businesses as in

One player has a deal with a hot wing restaurant where if he scores a TD you get 87 cent wings, to match his number. Other players have similar deals. Not necessarily a discount at restaurants, but it could work that way and there may be examples of that. Wouldn't be surprised.

It seems to me Stone is pushing this collective in a similar direction.

Not exactly a ponzi scheme at all. If Stone gets it up and runnin well then it can be a really fun thing!

And yes...several are either not aware of it and several refuse to join the TN collective. There's only about 5,000 members even though the TN fanbase is gigantic...because ppl are stubborn.
6 x