2024 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 weeks ago My question is, what is so great about Calipari lately? The guy has done nothing in recent years, with basically an unlimited support system. I guess his overall history still gives him clout, it'll be interesting to see what his contract pays him. Crazy!
draft picks? Haven't followed him that closely, but is he still making draft picks?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Would Brad Stevens leave the Celtics?
78, If I was Brad, I would stay put. The college game has changed a great deal since he left it. Although, he certainly has learned how to acquire and pay professionals so, maybe it’s not such a stretch. 😁

More importantly, he could win an NBA championship this year. Hard to pass that up bringing another championship to a storied franchise.
Yes...it has changed a great deal. Today, the college game more closely resembles what he's doing right now...?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago I don't think Dan goes to Kentucky either, but they are one of those programs that could make such a good offer that he might need to entertain it. Getting offered by decent high majors while he was at Rhody is one thing. Getting offered a stupid amount of money to coach at one of the biggest programs in college basketball history is another.

For example, AD was all in on playing for Thad Matta at Ohio State. He committed early, and this was when Ohio State had one of the best programs in the country. Kentucky kept calling and calling, and AD said screw it, I'll come for a visit, but I'm not backing out of my commitment. Something about Kentucky felt right to him, and he changed his mind. That's why I never say never. But ya, I don't see how he leaves Uconn. I would be very surprised if he did.

If you go 23 minutes in, he talks about it here.
I agree Steve that most likely Dan will stay at UConn.

But still, Kentucky will probably reach out and throw something crazy at him.
If they can almost double his current compensation and of course the opportunity to coach at Kentucky and with all that NIL $ available, it may be too good of an opportunity to walk away from.
Also, UConn will probably need to rebuild next season and Kentucky currently has the #2 class in the nation and always attracts the top recruits.

Who knows but it makes for good off-season drama.

Still, it doesn't affect Rhody, and I don't really care either way but fun to watch from afar.
I think most of Kentucky's class is going to bolt - They were recruited by Calipari, and I doubt they feel any particular allegiance to Kentucky itself. Plus at this point in the recruiting cycle, they'd be among the best HS prospects available, with plenty of suitors depending on what programs have been hit by transfers. Even if Hurley had to rebuild at UConn, I think it's way easier from the position of being at the same school he won a national championship at - maybe two - and in the geographic region where they are unquestionably the elite program right now.

The only advantage Kentucky has to me would be cash, and even that might not be a given. UConn is probably already negotiating with Hurley's agent on a raise and an extension. I don't know if Hurley wants to coach in the NBA, but I think it's more likely he would leave college for that than switching from UConn to another NCAA job.
Yeah, depending upon who Kentucky hires, we will see how many of these recruits end up leaving.
Still Kentucky will make some kind of splash hire and they always get top recruits and are a strong pipeline to the NBA.

Most of us all feel that Hurley will probably stay with UConn, and he eventually may end up in the NBA.
At least in the NBA, players have contracts, not like college where all the professionals have 100% free agency every year.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 3 weeks ago
Wow good for him last job was @ BC

Interesting career for our former Ram from the Class of 1988 that played under Penders and was on the Sweet-16 team. Was an assistant under Ralph Willard (WKU/Pitt), Herb Sendek (Miami-OH), and Stan Heath (Kent St) before later becoming head coach at Kent State, TCU, Ohio, BC, and now Canisius. Career record of 320-286 (.528) with two NCAA and five NIT appearances in nineteen seasons.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago
reef wrote: 3 weeks ago
Wow good for him last job was @ BC

Interesting career for our former Ram from the Class of 1988 that played under Penders and was on the Sweet-16 team. Was an assistant under Ralph Willard (WKU/Pitt), Herb Sendek (Miami-OH), and Stan Heath (Kent St) before later becoming head coach at Kent State, TCU, Ohio, BC, and now Canisius. Career record of 320-286 (.528) with two NCAA and five NIT appearances in nineteen seasons.
I was there when Jimmy was @ Rhody , he had no path to playing time with guards Garrick and Owens ahead of him but he had a great outside shot and probably would have been a solid player if he dropped down a level
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Posts about coaches reaffirming their position and players “recommitting” is a sad state in college basketball.
1 x
GO RAMS
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Cal can recruit, but his X's and O's are not great. Years ago he was on the WFAN with Mike and Mike said this to him and he walked out of the studio. My beef with Cal is that were every he goes, the program is in trouble after he leaves and he never gets punished
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It may be Scotty Drew to KY !
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are there any open jobs out there that Luke Murray or Kimani Young may get or are they running it back with raises ? They look to be head coaches soon you would think
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It looks like Eastern Washington, Florida A&M, Fresno State, Indiana State, and Kentucky are the open positions.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -2024-2025

I wouldn't think any of those jobs would be a match for Murray or Young, but depending on how the carousel spins to fill the Kentucky position they might be candidates for something this offseason
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago It looks like Eastern Washington, Florida A&M, Fresno State, Indiana State, and Kentucky are the open positions.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -2024-2025

I wouldn't think any of those jobs would be a match for Murray or Young, but depending on how the carousel spins to fill the Kentucky position they might be candidates for something this offseason
Thanks RR , their futures both look bright regardless of what they choose to do
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 3 weeks ago It may be Scotty Drew to KY !
Real good coach, Reef. Excellent move if UK can get it done.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Departure talk. No Mention of any specific future school.

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why would Cal talk about his next job in his farewell address to Kentucky fans?

Speculation about Dan to Kentucky is dumb and it’s always been dumb to anyone that gets the guy and what makes him tick. 0.0% chance. I honestly don’t see him coaching any college program other than Connecticut unless and until the college athletics landscape shifts again and enough so that he feels he can’t compete at this same level at UConn anymore. But that clearly isn’t the case now and so I see it as virtually certain that he’ll be at UConn for while, and if he takes the Kentucky job this offseason I will eat my computer.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Would Brad Stevens leave the Celtics?
No
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 weeks ago Why would Cal talk about his next job in his farewell address to Kentucky fans?

Speculation about Dan to Kentucky is dumb and it’s always been dumb to anyone that gets the guy and what makes him tick. 0.0% chance. I honestly don’t see him coaching any college program other than Connecticut unless and until the college athletics landscape shifts again and enough so that he feels he can’t compete at this same level at UConn anymore. But that clearly isn’t the case now and so I see it as virtually certain that he’ll be at UConn for while, and if he takes the Kentucky job this offseason I will eat my computer.
Agreed 100%. Unless UConn does the dumbest thing possible and pulls a UMass and drops down to the MAC for all sports then DH is at UConn for as long as he wants.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yes agreed but the difference between UMass and UConn (other than just a basic level of competence) is that there is no confusion about their identity as a basketball school and they are in an excellent basketball-only league. UMass is probably also a basketball school but not to the level that UConn is so on some level it makes sense to try to max out football since for the average school that’s where the money is. But UConn is now, in large part thanks to Dan, a top-tier elite basketball school.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 weeks ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 weeks ago Why would Cal talk about his next job in his farewell address to Kentucky fans?

Agreed 100%. Unless UConn does the dumbest thing possible and pulls a UMass and drops down to the MAC for all sports then DH is at UConn for as long as he wants.
They left the American, which is better than the MAC, because it wasn't good enough. They might eventually leave for some version of the ACC, but that's about it. Maybe the Big 10 if conference realignment goes really apeshit
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why Hurley should take the Kentucky job........

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/uconns-dan ... 26761.html
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago Why Hurley should take the Kentucky job........

Dan Wolken is the biggest joke of a sportswriter in America. A complete hack.

Hurley couldn’t be more perfect for the Big East.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago

So are you are saying there is Zero chance, zero, zilch, nada….that Hurley takes the Kentucky job?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago

So are you are saying there is Zero chance, zero, zilch, nada….that Hurley takes the Kentucky job?
Correct.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting the story, Ramster.

Very entertaining. I got a laugh out of the “volatile genius” description - especially since I watched a re-run of the Seinfeld Delicate Genius episode recently.

Many good arguments can be made for the UK job. From what I know of DH - which isn’t much outside his public persona - my gut says Dan stays put at UConn to continue his historic run.

Dan’s the man!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Read a good article about Luke Murray designing the UConn offense , he takes bits and pieces from a lot of European leagues to incorporate to what they do , he probably goes P5 in the next few years
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Guarantee you UConn ultimately wants to be known as a football-first school, still.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DePaul hired Lavell Jordan to be GM Assistant Coach , they may start to get to respectability

Also rumors heating up Scotty Drew to Kentucky
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago DePaul hired Lavell Jordan to be GM Assistant Coach , they may start to get to respectability

I have to say Chris Holtmann is cooking at DePaul. Staff looking great got Lavall Jordan, and former SIU head coach Bryan Mullins. I think he’s already gotten 6 transfer commits, and a high school recruit. Should be one of the most improved teams next season.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago DePaul hired Lavell Jordan to be GM Assistant Coach , they may start to get to respectability

There’s a chance Scott Drew is announced to Kentucky tomorrow. Grant McCasland will be the favorite to fill Baylor, he’s a member of the Drew coaching tree.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago

There’s a chance Scott Drew is announced to Kentucky tomorrow. Grant McCasland will be the favorite to fill Baylor, he’s a member of the Drew coaching tree.
Yes 22, Drew looks to be their next HC, also reported by Rothstein.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 weeks ago Guarantee you UConn ultimately wants to be known as a football-first school, still.
If true Dan could be convinced to take the dough out of there.

No chance he passes up a legit chance for a 3 peat and moves now. I would agree with zero chance but I will not promise to eat my computer.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramfan22
ARD

Rothstein reported Scott Drew turned down Kentucky. He was trending towards taking the job, that’s big news for Baylor.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago Rothstein reported Scott Drew turned down Kentucky. He was trending towards taking the job, that’s big news for Baylor.
I guess plan B for Kentucky.
They were planning on offering top candidates $11M at the start of negotiations.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A D1 head coach that had previously brought his program to the NCAA is leaving to become an assistant at another school

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago A D1 head coach that had previously brought his program to the NCAA is leaving to become an assistant at another school

Eh, makes more sense once you look at his coaching record. The year they made the tournament was the only one his team finished .500+, and that was a soft 12-11. He went 72-109 there overall across six years.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Probably get paid more as an assistant at Syracuse to I would imagine.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago
RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago A D1 head coach that had previously brought his program to the NCAA is leaving to become an assistant at another school

Eh, makes more sense once you look at his coaching record. The year they made the tournament was the only one his team finished .500+, and that was a soft 12-11. He went 72-109 there overall across six years.
Yeah, 48-62 in the NEC and the MAAC is not exactly setting the world on fire
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It happened multiples times in football this past year, now in basketball.

Head coaches of programs either taking a coordinator/assistant job at P5, or going to the NFL (Jeff Hafley went from BC head coach to Green Bay DC.)

Chip Kelly from HC at UCLA to Ohio St OC.

Coaches just want to coach and not deal with the portal and NIL shit.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago It happened multiples times in football this past year, now in basketball.

Head coaches of programs either taking a coordinator/assistant job at P5, or going to the NFL (Jeff Hafley went from BC head coach to Green Bay DC.)

Chip Kelly from HC at UCLA to Ohio St OC.

Coaches just want to coach and not deal with the portal and NIL shit.
I mean, maybe, but most of these guys were also on short leashes at programs as head coaches. Hafley went 22-26 across four years, and Chip Kelly was 35-34 with one bowl win.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And assistants are absolutely still dealing with portal and NIL shit.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago And assistants are absolutely still dealing with portal and NIL shit.
Yea that statement was geared more towards going from college to the pros.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Drew turns down Kentucky to stay at Baylor

Wonder who Kentucky turns their focus to ?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago Drew turns down Kentucky to stay at Baylor

Wonder who Kentucky turns their focus to ?
Time to bring him home!
Attachments
11629386.jpg
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Per Matt Norlander, Dan and staff are getting a big, well deserved raise from UConn.

Good for Dan!

I wonder if it includes a stipend for 105’s Rhody Rehab so Dan can work on his sideline rage issues ? Rhody Rehab is better than anything UConn can offer in-house.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Per Matt Norlander, Dan and staff are getting a big, well deserved raise from UConn.

Good for Dan!

I wonder if it includes a stipend for 105’s Rhody Rehab so Dan can work on his sideline rage issues ? Rhody Rehab is better than anything UConn can offer in-house.
Good to hear , Dan and staff deserve a hefty raise !
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Per Matt Norlander, Dan and staff are getting a big, well deserved raise from UConn.

Good for Dan!

He would get a “discount” for services if he advertises/endorses for Rhody Rehab.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
Good to see them hire a former player ! Where does his salary slot in ?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x