Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We need Jeff Dowtin to become a superstar, get a huge contract and donate a few mill to his alma mater.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago We need Jeff Dowtin to become a superstar, get a huge contract and donate a few mill to his alma mater.
But he has to do it every year. Every year is a new NIL.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Apples and oranges.....How much is a ticket to see the Red Sox, Patriots, or Celtics?

How much is a ticket at the Ryan to see a basketball game.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago We need Jeff Dowtin to become a superstar, get a huge contract and donate a few mill to his alma mater.
But he has to do it every year. Every year is a new NIL.
If anyone would do it, Jeff would.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Somewhere this NIL thing went off the rails. I don’t know what to think anymore. The players wanting and getting their piece of the pie has turned into a God awful mess.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 weeks ago
Apples and oranges.....How much is a ticket to see the Red Sox, Patriots, or Celtics?

I can get two tickets for tonight's Red Sox game for $6 each. I said this before. Asking fans to pay for players, is just a BAD idea.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The issue is going to be Olympic sports. These are non revenue generating sports that football and basketball pay for. So the money football and basketball make through media contracts and tickets/merch etc. are paying for sports that no one watches. That money, that football and basketball make is the "PIE". So rather than ask fans to pay for basketball players, schools will end Olympic sports and fund what makes them money.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

On the "Rhode to Excellence" site they allow you to choose which sport you want to give to. This is being led by Stone Freeman.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Somewhere this NIL thing went off the rails. I don’t know what to think anymore. The players wanting and getting their piece of the pie has turned into a God awful mess.
Yep! I’m thinking that anything that the NCAA is involved will get “off the rails”.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

a good read, thanks for sharing

Last line & summary spoiler alert:
► Show Spoiler
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Somewhere this NIL thing went off the rails. I don’t know what to think anymore. The players wanting and getting their piece of the pie has turned into a God awful mess.
The players are getting the same amount of 'that' pie that they've always got.
If they were getting some of that pie, it probably would actually be less of a mess.
Now, we're building a new pie and it couldn't be more of a clusterduck.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Money is the root of all evil. Or something like that.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 weeks ago

I can get two tickets for tonight's Red Sox game for $6 each. I said this before. Asking fans to pay for players, is just a BAD idea.
AMEN
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I’ll keep my money that I work for or donate it to better causes

But please everyone else donate a ton
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago The issue is going to be Olympic sports. These are non revenue generating sports that football and basketball pay for. So the money football and basketball make through media contracts and tickets/merch etc. are paying for sports that no one watches. That money, that football and basketball make is the "PIE". So rather than ask fans to pay for basketball players, schools will end Olympic sports and fund what makes them money.
That will suck for those athletes, but it's not football and basketball players jobs to pay the scholarships of Olympic sport athletes
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 weeks ago

Just to clarify your position, you're not going to do it but you think everyone else should? I could be wrong, you've only said it 50 times this week, maybe if you say it another 50 times this week we'll all get it. It's not getting old or anything at all
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 weeks ago

Just to clarify your position, you're not going to do it but you think everyone else should? I could be wrong, you've only said it 50 times this week, maybe if you say it another 50 times this week we'll all get it. It's not getting old or anything at all
Guy has a million screws loose or is drunk 99% of the time he posts.
2 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

So tempting to show you how this guy w a million screws loose rolls that I think you might need some lug nuts !

All joking aside - next time you are in Charleston let’s meet up - and get some drinks at SNOB !

Relax - half my posts are just to get people fired up and have some fun - I rarely get “personal”… all
In fun … at least for me :)
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Shoutout to R15

0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I love the NIL creativity that Dawn Staley is showing at South Carolina. When approached by a local corporation, she said she would represent them IF and only IF they offered an NIL opportunity to each of her players, including stock options. Builds team loyalty, while teaching life lessons about equity (double entendre, there).
While everyone snipes and grabs at the pie, Staley adapts, teaches, prospers, and succeeds. Once again, the women lead.....
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NHRamFan wrote: 2 weeks ago I love the NIL creativity that Dawn Staley is showing at South Carolina. When approached by a local corporation, she said she would represent them IF and only IF they offered an NIL opportunity to each of her players, including stock options. Builds team loyalty, while teaching life lessons about equity (double entendre, there).
While everyone snipes and grabs at the pie, Staley adapts, teaches, prospers, and succeeds. Once again, the women lead.....
I mean that is great if Staley has the ability with her program to do stuff like this, but let’s get real about this sport. Players want $250k upwards to $1.5 million? 😂. Players transfer every year with no penalty. I have gotten to the point where I really don’t care what happens to this sport. URI basketball was my favorite thing to watch, but I could care less now with the NIL. The university wants you to buy season tickets, donate money and provide for the NIL? No thanks! No one on last years team should have received a $1. I guess the scholarships no longer are useful. If there was a set amount that all players got it would be one thing, but this is a joke
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes. Perhaps time is here for the “haves” to break off, find their own level of paid player basketball , super conference competition. And let the “have nots” organize themselves into a less then super conferences. I guess this oversimplified view with current media contracts and all the other stuff makes this impossible?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's amazing how many people don't care about college sports now but are still posting on a college sports message board a month to the day that our basketball season ended
6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago It's amazing how many people don't care about college sports now but are still posting on a college sports message board a month to the day that our basketball season ended
NIL isn't alienating fans. Unlimited movement will tho, over time. But that will eventually get regulated.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 weeks ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago It's amazing how many people don't care about college sports now but are still posting on a college sports message board a month to the day that our basketball season ended
NIL isn't alienating fans. Unlimited movement will tho, over time. But that will eventually get regulated.
I think it is a combination of both, and in many instances the attractiveness of the portal and NIL go hand in hand.
Especially now in the case of total free agency.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The NIL could effect fans at some point (that aren’t effected now). I mean I gave a little, but how long can we expect the same people to foot the bill? Forever?
1 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 weeks ago The NIL could effect fans at some point (that aren’t effected now). I mean I gave a little, but how long can we expect the same people to foot the bill? Forever?
Especially since the program has been in a downward spiral the past few years, recent graduates don't care about the program, as evidenced by student attendance. Very few of them will be donating in future years. And the older generation, well, we all have an expiration date...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 weeks ago The NIL could effect fans at some point (that aren’t effected now). I mean I gave a little, but how long can we expect the same people to foot the bill? Forever?
I think in the short term answer is forever? However, forever might not be that long, until the current system that has evolved will collapse upon itself. Therefore ending the current system. I see the answer to the question offered for Stone/Thorr that how will the potential loss of donations previously given be made up with people giving to to Collective? Is simple, just give more and more.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

or Never....
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

If you aren't moving forward, you're moving backwards.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago Yes. Perhaps time is here for the “haves” to break off, find their own level of paid player basketball , super conference competition. And let the “have nots” organize themselves into a less then super conferences. I guess this oversimplified view with current media contracts and all the other stuff makes this impossible?
Maybe watch club sports at URI...good luck with that!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

or you can simply not move at all..

unless NIL improved, many fans will leave the sport

its the haves and the have nots

congrats NCAA

i have better things to do with my money than pay a college players salary to entertain me

so, technically i am moving forward w/ my life vs spending $ on someone else's life

oh but i still will watch so please everyone donate so i can watch a winner - the more the better pls
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we are going to continue to suck, which is looking more likely by the day, maybe URI should shitcan the coach and hire a guy off the street who couldn't do any worse than this slop we are being subjected to.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Things are slow around here so I tend to think about Rhody outside the box stuff so I was wondering…

Since Stone is running the collective and since collectives are relatively new and I am unsure of how demanding running a collective is, is it possible that Stone could fill the role of a quasi-GM for Archie ?

What I mean is, is it possible Archie (and staff) could be periodically or regularly sharing insights into the type of players Archie is looking to bring in or specific names during the season then, Stone starts reaching out to those targets representatives with preliminary NIL offers ?

Then, gather the names, interest level and NIL requirements of the target players to share that info with Archie and staff later so they can take nexts steps towards closing the players on joining Rhody ?

I am just wondering and am curious as to what others here think.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Can coaches donate? If so maybe Archie should donate some of the $500,000 bonus he just received. He could consider it a investment in himself since it could help his coaching career get going again and out of the downward spiral
Have it be like CE credits that many professionally licensed folks need to spend money on time on. I am saying this because of how the last 2 seasons have been executed.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 weeks ago
79RhodyFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Can coaches donate? If so maybe Archie should donate some of the $500,000 bonus he just received. He could consider it a investment in himself since it could help his coaching career get going again and out of the downward spiral
Have it be like CE credits that many professionally licensed folks need to spend money on time on.
I wonder if, the idea of paying players...out of personal pocket...ever crossed the mind of a coach 5 years ago?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RamStock wrote: 3 weeks ago
adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago

All of them? And if yes, how much?
Maybe not all, but a hell of a lot of them were. Hard to say exactly how much because it was all so hidden. The players parents suddenly get a new job that they never have to actually show up for working for that one booster, new cars show up in the driveway, new houses, etc. etc. And for some reason a lot of people prefer that system instead.
Where are your facts for this? New cars, new houses and none of it got out?
A $180k G Wagon. An article from another news outlet popped up on this today.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-bas ... e_vignette
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Things are slow around here so I tend to think about Rhody outside the box stuff so I was wondering…

Since Stone is running the collective and since collectives are relatively new and I am unsure of how demanding running a collective is, is it possible that Stone could fill the role of a quasi-GM for Archie ?

What I mean is, is it possible Archie (and staff) could be periodically or regularly sharing insights into the type of players Archie is looking to bring in or specific names during the season then, Stone starts reaching out to those targets representatives with preliminary NIL offers ?

Then, gather the names, interest level and NIL requirements of the target players to share that info with Archie and staff later so they can take nexts steps towards closing the players on joining Rhody ?

My experience is that decision making by committee is not effective. The scenario offered here sounds a lot like that.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Things are slow around here so I tend to think about Rhody outside the box stuff so I was wondering…

My experience is that decision making by committee is not effective. The scenario offered here sounds a lot like that.
Good point and I agree.

I wasn’t anticipating Archie giving up decision making. I was thinking more along the lines of narrowing down the NIL requirements of target type players and specific players Archie may or would have interest in and sharing that info so he can narrow in on players quicker when the portal roles around every year.

Sort of like building a rolling target data base that fits the NIL budget and being proactive ( by communicating with the player reps/advisors regularly ) versus reacting to the portal.

Does that help ?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Good point and I agree.

I wasn’t anticipating Archie giving up decision making. I was thinking more along the lines of narrowing down the NIL requirements of target type players and specific players Archie may or would have interest in and sharing that info so he can narrow in on players quicker when the portal roles around every year.

Sort of like building a rolling target data base that fits the NIL budget and being proactive ( by communicating with the player reps/advisors regularly ) versus reacting to the portal.

Does that help ?
OK, who knows who is going into the portal from year to year? Each portal year is a new one?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good point and I agree.

Does that help ?
OK, who knows who is going into the portal from year to year? Each portal year is a new one?
Until there's a real GM, and trades, and multi year contracts....there is no option other than 'reacting to the portal'.....
Just dole out to the NIL fund and it'll all be fine.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 weeks ago
RamStock wrote: 3 weeks ago
adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Maybe not all, but a hell of a lot of them were. Hard to say exactly how much because it was all so hidden. The players parents suddenly get a new job that they never have to actually show up for working for that one booster, new cars show up in the driveway, new houses, etc. etc. And for some reason a lot of people prefer that system instead.
Where are your facts for this? New cars, new houses and none of it got out?
A $180k G Wagon. An article from another news outlet popped up on this today.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-bas ... e_vignette
If Flau'Jae Johnson is getting this, what do you think Jayden Daniels and Malik Nabers got?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good point and I agree.

Does that help ?
Good questions.

We don’t know who would enter from year to year but Stone (as quasi GM because he knows our NIL capabilities) can start laying groundwork early in the minds of the targeted players reps/advisors to entice them to enter the portal.

I am thinking Archie and staff would set parameters on players as to type desired by position or even specify by name ? Then, Stone does basic sell job on Rhody to player reps/advisors, if we can meet the players NIL demands and - if preliminary NIL demands align with what we can offer - build interest in those targets to come to Rhody by entering the portal. Then Archie and staff zero in on which to try to close on based on fit, need, etc. knowing the NIL is in the area the player(s) are seeking.

Of course, there is always the risk that once a player enters the portal - especially if they blew up during the season - that all bets are off.

I guess you could liken it to getting in on a prep recruit early but instead focused on potential portal prospects and their potential NIL demands.

My thought exercise is how to get Rhody, utilizing Stone’s knowledge of our NIL budget (like a GM would know the payroll budget to pay players ) to give Archie a leg up on our competition.

It’s a developing thought and I understand it may not be possible but it has been quiet around here regarding Rhody portal news so I thought I’d throw the idea out there to generate some discussion.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good point and I agree.

Does that help ?
Good questions.

We don’t know who would enter from year to year but Stone (as quasi GM because he knows our NIL capabilities) can start laying groundwork early in the minds of the targeted players reps/advisors to entice them to enter the portal.

I am thinking Archie and staff would set parameters on players as to type desired by position or even specify by name ? Then, Stone does basic sell job on Rhody, if we can meet the players NIL demands and - if preliminary NIL demands align with what we can offer - build interest in those targets to come to Rhody by entering the portal. Then Archie decides who he wants to close on based on fit, need, etc. knowing the NIL isn’t an issue.

Of course, there is always the risk that once a player enters the portal - especially if they blew up during the season - that all bets are off.

I guess you could liken it to getting in on a prep recruit early but instead focused on potential portal prospects.

My thought process is how to get Rhody, utilizing Stone’s knowledge of our NIL budget (like a GM would know the payroll budget to pay players ) to give Archie a leg up on our competition.

It’s a developing thought and I understand it may not be possible but it has been quiet around here regarding Rhody portal news so I thought I’d throw the idea out there to generate some discussion.
yawn, I mean awesome :lol: I see a quick reference to 'fit', but, dang, player evaluation seems to be much less of a factor...

eta: There will be greater transparency around this sooner rather than later. Like, right now, are schools not looking at players reportedly in the 'too much for us' range? Who determines that range of 'players we can afford to be interested in'? Secret it may be for now, but prolly not for long.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Good questions.

I am thinking Archie and staff would set parameters on players as to type desired by position or even specify by name ? Then, Stone does basic sell job on Rhody, if we can meet the players NIL demands and - if preliminary NIL demands align with what we can offer - build interest in those targets to come to Rhody by entering the portal. Then Archie decides who he wants to close on based on fit, need, etc. knowing the NIL isn’t an issue.

I guess you could liken it to getting in on a prep recruit early but instead focused on potential portal prospects.

My thought process is how to get Rhody, utilizing Stone’s knowledge of our NIL budget (like a GM would know the payroll budget to pay players ) to give Archie a leg up on our competition.

yawn, I mean awesome :lol: I see a quick reference to 'fit', but, dang, player evaluation seems to be much less of a factor...
I get it, I used to be young and healthy and it’s a lot to think about on a Friday night.

What can I say, you get to my point in life and this is how I spend my Friday nights…trying to figure out ways for Rhody to win at portalpalooza rather than doing young fun stuff. Ooph

:lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Good questions.

I get it, I used to be young and healthy and it’s a lot to think about on a Friday night.

What can I say, you get to my point in life and this is how I spend my Friday nights…trying to figure out ways for Rhody to win at portalpalooza. Ooph

:lol:
a worthy objective! winning at the portal is key
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Last edited by RIFan 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Ha! I just posted this in the Excellence thread at the exact same time!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You knew it was coming. The USOC already stated concern on NIL. Why? Because Olympic sports are funded by colleges and the USOC pays nothing for it. They just benefit from athletes trained and paid for by Universities. Those sports are funded by basketball and football. I can see Olympic sports being defunded by schools.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I can't wait to see what this does to student fees...will the schools tack on a special NIL fee line item?
1 x