Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Traore and Manyawu do not move the meter

Traore hasn't played and basically plays the same position as DG and Farrell. If he plays at the 5 he is undersized.

Manyawu looks about 6'8, good athlete, but needs weight. Better than Tyson, but again, undersized and average skill.

Please tell me they aren't the ONLY big guys we have contacted

Good lord
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago

Ha, I guess I find it weirdly endearing? I don't think Stewart and the walk-ons were really A-10 quality players, but I've never gotten the vibe that any of the players Miller have brought in are bad guys or anything like that. So, I kind of like that Stewart is stumping for a walk-on that probably sat at the end of the bench with him. Ball is from Medford, so there are probably some D-II, D-III schools in New England that would be interested in rostering him.
So my question is, why didn't he go to D-II or D-III in the first place if his goal was to actually play college basketball?
You're asking why an 18-year-old thought he could maybe break into the lineup of a D-I program starting as a walk-on? I don't know, I think that's pretty common. Teenagers have lofty dreams!
I guess. Starting off 14th on the depth chart at best seems a little too lofty.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago
I was always told to judge a player by looking at the list of schools recruiting him, so....
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Manyawu is a very good rebounder, and shot 60 percent from the field. Excluding Bilau's small sample size, Manyawu's per 40 stats from Wyoming would have led out team last year in rebounds... And steals, which I realize is damning with faint praise, because we didn't have anyone that could pressure the ball. But you can see indications of his athleticism translating to actual numbers, which is always good! I don't think he's a program changing player, but I think there's more upside in him than others we've been linked to.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago Manyawu is a very good rebounder, and shot 60 percent from the field. Excluding Bilau's small sample size, Manyawu's per 40 stats from Wyoming would have led out team last year in rebounds... And steals, which I realize is damning with faint praise, because we didn't have anyone that could pressure the ball. But you can see indications of his athleticism translating to actual numbers, which is always good! I don't think he's a program changing player, but I think there's more upside in him than others we've been linked to.
Actually I am just meh on Traore, hoping we can do better with our scholarships.
Nothing really stands out and I don't buy into the whole per 40 minute stuff, it doesn't translate into anything and is pure speculation.
Besides I would rather have a player who has played significant Div. 1 minutes and actually demonstrated something even at a lower conference.

But I guess if Archie and the staff sees something in him, I suppose we have to trust them.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago Manyawu is a very good rebounder, and shot 60 percent from the field. Excluding Bilau's small sample size, Manyawu's per 40 stats from Wyoming would have led out team last year in rebounds... And steals, which I realize is damning with faint praise, because we didn't have anyone that could pressure the ball. But you can see indications of his athleticism translating to actual numbers, which is always good! I don't think he's a program changing player, but I think there's more upside in him than others we've been linked to.
Actually I am just meh on Traore, hoping we can do better with our scholarships.
Nothing really stands out and I don't buy into the whole per 40 minute stuff, it doesn't translate into anything and is pure speculation.
Besides I would rather have a player who has played significant Div. 1 minutes and actually demonstrated something even at a lower conference.

But I guess if Archie and the staff sees something in him, I suppose we have to trust them.
Yes, someone on our staff likes him. So do Marist | La Salle | Hofstra | Binghamton I Bryant | Albany | San Jose State | Akron | Stony Brook I Fairfield | Scared Heart | NJIT | How far we have sunk.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yes, someone on our staff likes him. So do Marist | La Salle | Hofstra | Binghamton I Bryant | Albany | San Jose State | Akron | Stony Brook I Fairfield | Scared Heart | NJIT | How far we have sunk.
Holding out hope that we got more targets than that
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago

Holding out hope that we got more targets than that
Well, of course we will. But he's the first. I though this new money was going to get us a better class of recruits? He certainly doesn't fall into that category. Exactly the opposite.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Gives us reason to hope.

NOT.

Pathetic.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If we can get a big man in here that can defend and rebound that's good enough for me. I don't think we need to have a big guy that is counted on to score much with our current roster.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago If we can get a big man in here that can defend and rebound that's good enough for me. I don't think we need to have a big guy that is counted on to score much with our current roster.
Short centers forever

The Rhody Way
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago If we can get a big man in here that can defend and rebound that's good enough for me. I don't think we need to have a big guy that is counted on to score much with our current roster.
I would say yes. Maybe sprinkle in some most basic low post drop step, get fouled, make free throws ?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Two players should not be on our team next year: Wright and Traore. They are low-major players.

However, I'm completely confused about why people wouldn't get excited about Manyawu. This reminds me of the people who were negative about Green when he also put up decent numbers in the conference USA. Manyawu had an impressive freshman year in a competitive conference. As SG mentioned, he would have led our team in rebounding, steals, and PER. Notably, he posted 15 points and 12 rebounds against St. Louis and 12 points and 10 rebounds at Texas.

Additionally, he showed improvement as the season progressed, averaging 9 points and 9 rebounds in his final 10 games. I'm uncertain about others' expectations here, but I see Manyawu as the type of player we should be eager to recruit and land. He has proven himself at the Division I level and has room for growth. It's puzzling that some people praised PC for landing a recruit like Christ yet criticized our offer to a player with similar stats in a tougher conference. That's not a knock on Christ. I think both players could be strong, big men.

Manyawu and Fuchs form a promising young frontcourt duo that should show even more improvement in their second-year. I hope we land him.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago Rory chimes in. I don't know. I just find this to be hilarious for some reason.

So...what are these "boxes" that Jimmy B checks?...curious minds want to know....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago Rory chimes in. I don't know. I just find this to be hilarious for some reason.

So...what are these "boxes" that Jimmy B checks?...curious minds want to know....
Ticks.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ticks.
No one likes ticks....but ticked or checked...please, what are these "boxes"?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ticks.
No one likes ticks....but ticked or checked...please, what are these "boxes"?
Maybe he kept the players hydrated.....both on and off the court.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Damn it I got excited he was visiting here
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

well, if he goes to gw, he probably will be?
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

well, if he goes to gw, he probably will be?
😐
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does this mean we can’t compete with GW for players like Castro? Wow
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago
No someone sent it in the transfer portal thread I’m desperate for transfer news and I just assumed it was URI, then I read GW and got severely disappointed.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 weeks ago Two players should not be on our team next year: Wright and Traore. They are low-major players.

However, I'm completely confused about why people wouldn't get excited about Manyawu. This reminds me of the people who were negative about Green when he also put up decent numbers in the conference USA. Manyawu had an impressive freshman year in a competitive conference. As SG mentioned, he would have led our team in rebounding, steals, and PER. Notably, he posted 15 points and 12 rebounds against St. Louis and 12 points and 10 rebounds at Texas.

Additionally, he showed improvement as the season progressed, averaging 9 points and 9 rebounds in his final 10 games. I'm uncertain about others' expectations here, but I see Manyawu as the type of player we should be eager to recruit and land. He has proven himself at the Division I level and has room for growth. It's puzzling that some people praised PC for landing a recruit like Christ yet criticized our offer to a player with similar stats in a tougher conference. That's not a knock on Christ. I think both players could be strong, big men.

Manyawu and Fuchs form a promising young frontcourt duo that should show even more improvement in their second-year. I hope we land him.
Don’t give up on Wright yet, don’t rely on him either, he is the kind of athlete who may figure it out eventually. If he does he will be a good player. I no issue filling out the bottom third of the roster with “low major” players who work hard and may improve to be more. I had no issue keeping Rory last year to see if something more would come.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 weeks ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 weeks ago Two players should not be on our team next year: Wright and Traore. They are low-major players.

Don’t give up on Wright yet, don’t rely on him either, he is the kind of athlete who may figure it out eventually. If he does he will be a good player. I no issue filling out the bottom third of the roster with “low major” players who work hard and may improve to be more. I had no issue keeping Rory last year to see if something more would come.
13 Scholarships are more than enough to have a few deep bench guys and keep some continuity in the program.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hope Always gets lots and lots up over the summer.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Agreed on Manyawu, solid upside. Played great competition. Check out the game log. Young kid too.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Keeping guys like Rory and Always Wright are useless. Neither one of these guys should be on this roster if we are looking to move forward and try to compete. They are D-2 players
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What little we are hearing is not instilling confidence in me. It’s not good when the players we are competing for in the portal have mid to low level A10 level schools as their best options. We don’t get were we want to be by recruiting players that are stretch A10 players.
Last edited by RIFan 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago

No someone sent it in the transfer portal thread I’m desperate for transfer news and I just assumed it was URI, then I read GW and got severely disappointed.
I wouldn’t be too disappointed. Not sure he will be a big minute guy in the A-10 either. Decent shotblocker but is always out of position and has frying pan hands.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good points on both sides in the posts above regarding end of bench players.

I think it depends on the NIL budget for each year and what is or isn’t left over in the budget after the starters or top rotation players are all paid.

Given that, I guess filling the roster comes down to cheap practice fillers and developmental type players.

I would guess that going more than 6-7 deep (RE: NIL) for a non-power conference team could be a struggle some years if not in most years, imho. But I am just guesstimating. I could be off (too high or too low) on the 6-7 for any one year.

ETA: Someone associated with the program will need to develop a GM mindset to assist in seeking out the best value players within the NIL budget with approximately 1800 players entering the portal plus tracking prep recruits, unless that 1800 portal number starts to drop dramatically for some reason.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Manyawu
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Manyawu and Fuchs form a promising yocung frontcourt duo that should show even more improvement in their second-year. I hope we land him.
I'll take them both. Pitino said Troare is a 'culture player,' hard worker and leader. Exactly was this team needs.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I hope we can do better personally. You push Bassy out, but keep this kid? It doesn't make much sense to me. He's going to be a junior next year. It's not like this is a young guard. If we're going to give a scholarship to a junior point guard, I would hope that point guard is good enough to be part of the rotation. I would love for him to prove me wrong and make a big impact next year. We'll see.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Manyawu and Fuchs form a promising yocung frontcourt duo that should show even more improvement in their second-year. I hope we land him.
I'll take them both. Pitino said Troare is a 'culture player,' hard worker and leader. Exactly was this team needs.
Check out their ft %. Perfect fits. Manyawu 57%, Troare 30%.Fits our current 'culture'.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I would have preferred to keep Weston or Zek. But maybe this would be the perfect level for him, and he would make a jump. He does work his ass off when he plays. You'll never see this kid not give 100%, and we seriously lacked that in the last two seasons.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 weeks ago

I hope we can do better personally. You push Bassy out, but keep this kid? It doesn't make much sense to me. He's going to be a junior next year. It's not like this is a young guard. If we're going to give a scholarship to a junior point guard, I would hope that point guard is good enough to be part of the rotation. I would love for him to prove me wrong and make a big impact next year. We'll see.
He is young. Didn't fully focus on basketball until a year ago. He was basically a freshman last year.

I look at it like, next year will be a Christion Thompson like redshirt year and he can really contribute the following season.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He is young. Didn't fully focus on basketball until a year ago. He was basically a freshman last year.

I look at it like, next year will be a Christion Thompson like redshirt year and he can really contribute the following season.
Yup, that's part of the reason I'm not that high on him. He's a junior but he's behind regarding his development. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. I don't see how he gets minutes this year unless we lose more players. Luis, Cam, House, Hammond, and hopefully Coit would all play over him.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Usually players who are described as a “hard worker” or “tries hard” are not actually good basketball players.

It’s a nice way of saying they stink.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yup, that's part of the reason I'm not that high on him. He's a junior but he's behind regarding his development. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. I don't see how he gets minutes this year unless we lose more players. Luis, Cam, House, Hammond, and hopefully Coit would all play over him.
Yeah and by year 3, he'd be a culture guy and potentially decent.

Please Coit 🙏
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Usually players who are described as a “hard worker” or “tries hard” are not actually good basketball players.

It’s a nice way of saying they stink.
Kinda of like the most improved camper awardI got!😀
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 weeks ago
reef wrote: 2 weeks ago
Joe95 wrote: 2 weeks ago A big man target here freshman Cam Manyawu 6’9 forward from Wyoming has been in contact with the staff. Averaged 7 ppg and 6 rpg last year.
Finally some news ! Thanks
What do those numbers translate to in the A10? 4 and 5?
Considering that the A-10 stinks it would be a jump in numbers. He played against much better competition than this league has to offer. You should be happy if they get him as he is a pretty good player and was only a freshman. We aren’t going to do much better and probably worse.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Please Coit 🙏
Year 3? You mean like you expect him to be here for three years? Cmon man.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

In this new lame world of college hoops I wound't get your hopes up for ANY player to stay longer than 2 years anymore. If certain rules are changed then it could be, and hopefully will be, a different story.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago

Please Coit 🙏
Year 3? You mean like you expect him to be here for three years? Cmon man.
Well I'm speaking hypothetically. If Ways sticks around until 25-26 then it will be his 3rd year here.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 weeks ago In this new lame world of college hoops I wound't get your hopes up for ANY player to stay longer than 2 years anymore. If certain rules are changed then it could be, and hopefully will be, a different story.

Ruined college sports
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We have walkons in the portal. What's next, Ramettes?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago We have walkons in the portal. What's next, Ramettes?
I’ll donate to their NIL
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 weeks ago
theblueram wrote: 2 weeks ago We have walkons in the portal. What's next, Ramettes?
I’ll donate to their NIL
They're a lot more marketable than our players.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

dang...should these last few zingers posts be in the thorr/stone interview thread? :lol:
1 x