2024 NCAA/NIT Post Season Tournaments - All Things

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2024 NCAA/NIT Post Season Tournaments - All Things

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great win By UConn over the forces of dark and evil. First Yale beat Auburn and now Alabama falls. So nice to see New England teams beat back two Southern football obsessive pseudo universities in a state where the public officials routinely thwart free inquiry and academic freedom.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago
reef wrote: 3 weeks ago I saw DH hug PMurphy in the handshake line , I forget was Murphy an assistant for DH @ Rhody ?
Yes. 3 former Rhody assistants in that game. Preston, Luke, and Tom Moore.
Moore was never really an assistant, was he? More of an undercover poacher, confederate type it seemed.
And we all shoulda known when he never relocated...
Early on, I recall statements made was that he was “unemployed” after being fired by Quinnipiac, and coaches looking out for each other. I forget the exact timing of his departure from Q. I also remember at the URI bench, while he was here, during pregame warmups, a spectator walked up to Tom and they had a few words exchange. By Tom’s reaction, visibly upset/annoyed/angered I wondered what was up with that. It didn’t look like they were exchanges meatloaf recipes. Hindsight being 20/20, looks like we were taken. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tom the Mole.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I don't think these two bigs have faced anyone like the other all year. If Clingan can stay out of foul trouble and the refs don't favor one over the other, it will be a totally different inside game from what they are used to. I honestly think Clingan is the more athletic guy of the two. He seems quicker up and down the floor to me at least.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 weeks ago I don't think these two bigs have faced anyone like the other all year. If Clingan can stay out of foul trouble and the refs don't favor one over the other, it will be a totally different inside game from what they are used to. I honestly think Clingan is the more athletic guy of the two. He seems quicker up and down the floor to me at least.
Clingan did face 7-footer Ryan Kalkbrenner (Creighton) twice who was 3x BE DPOY and 2x 1st Team All-BE.
They split both games.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Does Karaban give anyone else a "Kevin Love" vibe?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I give UConn the edge tomorrow night. I expect they will win by 7-9 points if they continue to play like they have. A final score of 83-76 for UConn.

It would solidify DH as the best coach in college basketball for the experts (imho, he is already).

That said, I do think Purdue has a good shot to win if they win the rebounding battle, outscore UConn from the line and hold UConn under 80 points. Purdue will also need to outscore UConn from 3.

Hoping for a tight, entertaining game.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think yesterday will be UConn’s toughest game. Beyond the Clingan of it all they are too good for 1 guy to beat them and 1 thru 4 UConn on paper has a big advantage. Guys like Loyer and Smith are gonna struggle with UConn’s length and athleticism I think. Making entry passes to Edey is going to be much harder for them.

Anything can happen but I predict the double digit win streak continues for UConn. Dan is the goat.

Where’s the guy who said he couldn’t coach offense? And where are the fools who agreed with him at the time?
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 weeks ago I think yesterday will be UConn’s toughest game. Beyond the Clingan of it all they are too good for 1 guy to beat them and 1 thru 4 UConn on paper has a big advantage. Guys like Loyer and Smith are gonna struggle with UConn’s length and athleticism I think. Making entry passes to Edey is going to be much harder for them.

Anything can happen but I predict the double digit win streak continues for UConn. Dan is the goat.

Where’s the guy who said he couldn’t coach offense? And where are the fools who agreed with him at the time?
Don't you remember? It was David Cox that taught Dan how to run an offense while he was here! :lol:
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

UConn has dominated, but they haven’t faced a 1-2 seed in the last two tournaments. This will be their toughest test.

I think people are underestimating Edey and Purdue. As he has against everyone else, Edey will dominate in the post and likely get UConn into foul trouble. I’d put $$ on UConn winning, but they haven’t played a team like this yet; Bama is fun, but they are not at the same level as Purdue.

I think it's close and Uconn wins by 8
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 weeks ago I think yesterday will be UConn’s toughest game. Beyond the Clingan of it all they are too good for 1 guy to beat them and 1 thru 4 UConn on paper has a big advantage. Guys like Loyer and Smith are gonna struggle with UConn’s length and athleticism I think. Making entry passes to Edey is going to be much harder for them.

Don't you remember? It was David Cox that taught Dan how to run an offense while he was here! :lol:
I was one of them lol.

I think it was more a case of having less talented offensive players looking back on it now.

There are no holes in that starting five for UConn. If a couple guys are off any particular game, the others will pick up the slack.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Dan wasn't a good offensive coach at Wagner and the early years at Rhody. Just like players, coaches get better. Dan has drastically improved his offense, and he's going to go down as an all-time great. I would love to see him win three straight, but they lose a lot after they win on Monday. Either way, back-to-back Nattys is absolutely incredible.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 3 weeks ago Great win By UConn over the forces of dark and evil. First Yale beat Auburn and now Alabama falls. So nice to see New England teams beat back two Southern football obsessive pseudo universities in a state where the public officials routinely thwart free inquiry and academic freedom.
Not sure what you are insinuating, but sounds like you are stepping into a political arena.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Very good ladies final. Iowa ran out to a 10-0 lead and then SC started to punch back via there inside dominance.

Back and forth game now. Tie game in the 2nd qtr.

CC had 18 pts in the first. A tourney record. Wow.

SC has a big advantage in the front court. Iowa struggling to prevent offensive boards by SC.

ETA: SC with impressive ball movement. Somebody show our guys a tape of them moving the ball.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Playing that SC team is like men against boys when it came to rebounding.

Over a 20 rebound difference. They just wear teams out.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m going to guess Uconn wins by about 10-12 game will probably be close for the majority of it then I think Conn stretches the lead late last 5 minutes
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I actually picked Purdue over UConn in my bracket, really for only these 2 reasons.

1. the last time a 1 seed lost in the first round, they won it all the following year.
2. Everyone was picking UConn, so picking someone else would be an advantage.

That said, I'm still rooting for UConn. I'm also a bit sad for Preston Murphy.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Also, I watched the 2nd half of SC/Iowa women's yesterday. What a fun and entertaining game!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think it's total bs that they are putting the national championship on TBS....

As a lover of college basketball...that's a little offensive to me.

National championship in college basketball isn't at least on CBS? I mean, come on. I'll be able to watch it, but it just annoys me how underrated college basketball is these days and the fact it will be on TBS shows how indifferent the country is towards the sport I think.

Even though the elite 8 games out did the NBA finals in ratings.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago I think it's total bs that they are putting the national championship on TBS....

National championship in college basketball isn't at least on CBS? I mean, come on. I'll be able to watch it, but it just annoys me how underrated college basketball is these days and the fact it will be on TBS shows how indifferent the country is towards the sport I think.

Yeah I agree with you , I think there was another year that TBS had the final 4 can’t remember which one ?
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Edey had a great first half versus Clingan, but UConn takes a 6 point lead into the locker. Let's go Dan Hurley!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Congrats to Dan. Another epic run
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Game over.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago Congrats to Dan. Another epic run
He’s the best college basketball coach, Stevey. No doubt.

Dan’s the man!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Zach Edey just subtly pushing off the UConn defender to make his lay-up easier for him. He does this repeatedly and gets away with it.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Just a great win by UConn and Dan Hurley. He built a balanced team centered around Clingan and beat a team that was essentially a one man show. Maybe next a trifecta?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 3 weeks ago Zach Edey just subtly pushing off the UConn defender to make his lay-up easier for him. He does this repeatedly and gets away with it.
I noticed the same.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

This is hilarious

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I’m Kentucky I’m calling up DH and offering 12 M per year to leave , I think he says NO but I’m making that phone call

What a 2 year run of domination congrats DH
1 x
URI_CellBio14
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URI_CellBio14 »

Go Dan! Super inspiring to see the comments in early 2017 shitting all over Dan and to see that success that really was right around the corner, both at URI and later on, including back to back natty's

Was curious about Archie vs DH opinions and I like this one a lot from 2017:
Archie Miller is a really good coach DH needs to get on his level
So how many natty's we winning?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 3 weeks ago This is hilarious

HahahaHaha
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI_CellBio14 wrote: 3 weeks ago Go Dan! Super inspiring to see the comments in early 2017 shitting all over Dan and to see that success that really was right around the corner, both at URI and later on, including back to back natty's

Was curious about Archie vs DH opinions and I like this one a lot from 2017:
Archie Miller is a really good coach DH needs to get on his level
So how many natty's we winning?
Nice find Cell ! Hope it wasn’t me who posted that lol !
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I remember seeing a funny meme after the Rams won the Super Bowl a few years ago. It showed a banner at the Lions stadium that said "Our old QB won the Super Bowl." Maybe we should do that with the Hurley connection. Haha.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What was fascinating was how good UConn guards were on both defense and offense. This was masterful display of the UConn's staff's understanding of how to play Edey and limit the three point shooting of Purdue. Purdue guards did not measure up UConn's and they scored a combined 17 points. That doesn't get the job done, hence another double digit loss.

When you look UConn guard efficiency as compared to the wretched defense by Archie Miller's two URI teams - one worse than the other - filled with terrible ball handling, TO's galore, and little discipline, you realize URI has little hope to turn this around. They are losing the fan base.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 weeks ago What was fascinating was how good UConn guards were on both defense and offense. This was masterful display of the UConn's staff's understanding of how to play Edey and limit the three point shooting of Purdue. Purdue guards did not measure up UConn's and they scored a combined 17 points. That doesn't get the job done, hence another double digit loss.

When you look UConn guard efficiency as compared to the wretched defense by Archie Miller's two URI teams - one worse than the other - filled with terrible ball handling, TO's galore, and little discipline, you realize URI has little hope to turn this around. They are losing the fan base.
Did you just use the back to back national champs' guards play as a comparison to URI saying we have little hope to turn it around?
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 weeks ago What was fascinating was how good UConn guards were on both defense and offense. This was masterful display of the UConn's staff's understanding of how to play Edey and limit the three point shooting of Purdue. Purdue guards did not measure up UConn's and they scored a combined 17 points. That doesn't get the job done, hence another double digit loss.

Did you just use the back to back national champs' guards play as a comparison to URI saying we have little hope to turn it around?
With Archie Miller and staff at the helm, yes.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Womp womp 😔
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

An amazing run for UConn. Twelve straight tournament games won by double digits, back to back dominant championships.

Last year’s team lost three starters and five of the top eight scorers. They reloaded with one transfer and five freshmen and ran it back.

They had five goals for the season and met them all- win the MTE, Big East regular season, Big East tournament, east regional, and national championship.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 weeks ago An amazing run for UConn. Twelve straight tournament games won by double digits, back to back dominant championships.

Last year’s team lost three starters and five of the top eight scorers. They reloaded with one transfer and five freshmen and ran it back.

They had five goals for the season and met them all- win the MTE, Big East regular season, Big East tournament, east regional, and national championship.
It’s a great point and I love what DH did to keep this train rolling

Lose 3 to the NBA in Sanogo , AJJ and Hawk

Bring back key returnees in Tristen , AK and Donovan

Find a portaler who was a great fit Cam S

Get a 1 and done , Castle

Be fun to watch their attempt to 3 peat !
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago I think it's total bs that they are putting the national championship on TBS....

If the channel changer was still a big dial on the TV, I would agree, except, now you can usually change the channel with two button pushes and don't have to get up. So, it's a giant whatevs
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UConn's win over Purdue averages just under 4 million fewer viewers than South Carolina's victory over Iowa
Viewership for Monday night's game was up slightly from UConn's victory a year ago

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/uconns-win ... 24193.html
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago UConn's win over Purdue averages just under 4 million fewer viewers than South Carolina's victory over Iowa
Viewership for Monday night's game was up slightly from UConn's victory a year ago

I’m sure those numbers had nothing to do with a Sunday afternoon timeslot vs the 9:20 eastern tip on a Monday night.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago
ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago UConn's win over Purdue averages just under 4 million fewer viewers than South Carolina's victory over Iowa

I’m sure those numbers had nothing to do with a Sunday afternoon timeslot vs the 9:20 eastern tip on a Monday night.
Whose idea was it to do a 9:20pm time slot anyway? Seems too late for a championship game to be played.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I read somewhere that the women's final this year was up 60-something percent compared to last year in the same time slot so it was definitely something about this year specifically. I wonder who will step into Clark's role next year to drum up interest.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 weeks ago

I read somewhere that the women's final this year was up 60-something percent compared to last year in the same time slot so it was definitely something about this year specifically. I wonder who will step into Clark's role next year to drum up interest.
The women’s game is growing and Clark helped that growth along with here spectacular play on a very good team. Her passing is tremendous in addition to her scoring ability. She will be the #1 pick in the draft this year. Not sure who will step up to replace her.

It was interesting that last week Lynette Woodard claimed she still felt she held the WBB scoring record because in her day they did not have the 3P shot.

Yet Pete Maravich also had his career scoring record broken by Clark but Woodard made no mention of the fact that Maravich also did not have the 3P shot AND Maravich played in an era where Freshmen could not play varsity so Maravich’s total was in just 3 years while Woodard and Clark careers covered 4 years.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The other factor for why the women's championship drew 4M more viewers was the network. The women were on ABC/ESPN. The men were on TBS/TNT/Trutv. The traditional over the air networks are always going to get more eyes. The platform, date, and time ALL matter for viewership. It is why the A-10 Men's Championship game regularly outdraws the Big East Championship.
Last edited by RF1 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago The other factor for why the women's championship drew 4M more viewers was the network was the network. The women were on ABC/ESPN. The men were on TBS/TNT/Trutv. The traditional over the air networks are always going to get more eyes. The platform, date, and time ALL matter for viewership. It is why the A-10 Men's Championship game regularly outdraws the Big East Championship.
Yep, definitely
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago The other factor for why the women's championship drew 4M more viewers was the network was the network. The women were on ABC/ESPN. The men were on TBS/TNT/Trutv. The traditional over the air networks are always going to get more eyes. The platform, date, and time ALL matter for viewership. It is why the A-10 Men's Championship game regularly outdraws the Big East Championship.
Yep, definitely
WBB outsmarting MBB?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago

Whose idea was it to do a 9:20pm time slot anyway? Seems too late for a championship game to be played.
There has to be a better way. Would be sweet if they could figure out to play the championship on the weekend somehow. Not really feasible with the current setup I guess.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

In think (in years) the past, the semis were thrus and the championship on Sat, but that was like 40 years ago. I do agree that the time is way too late.

Do they still alternate the FF/Champ between CBS and TBS? Or is it all just TBS/TNT/Tru now for the final weekend?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!