Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If yall are referencing the on3 NIL estimated numbers

Those are bs
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago If a player like Joseph commands 500k we are screwed.

I seriously doubt that number though.

100k tops.

It's like everyone has a price tag attached to them.

It's gotten beyond ridiculous.
Not sure where that number came from but that’s 100% false.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Rhode Island showed interest

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 weeks ago Recruiting the portal is significantly different then recruiting high schoolers when it comes to "stealth" mode.

Probably the biggest thing is the expedited timeline. In previous recruiting cycles, players may have been in contact with a staff for 1 year + which gives them plenty of time to speak to reporters, websites etc regarding their recruitment. They may be among the top 150/250 kids in their class, so they receive plenty of attention.

With the portal, everything needs to be done in a relatively quick period. So players are focused on narrowing down their list from those 20+ schools that may initially reach out, to the ones actually offering a scholarship, to the ones that meet what they are looking for. All while 1500+ other players are doing the same thing.
Somebody suggested college teams need GMs now. I think they're right. Might as well add a separate department for scouting, scouts who can go around the country looking at players during the season when the assistants are busy actually coaching. Might as well create some new positions. It's basically professional sports now anyway. Gonna need money to pay these new positions. Start donating! :lol:
No. Let the team/enterprise figure out how to generate enough money to hire people, to be able to be good enough, so people will want to go/buy tickets/cable/merch/etc. It IS pro sports. This is an entertainment industry. What other enterprise does anything like this NIL nonsense? If they can't figure out how to afford to get good enough for people to want to buy the product in order to sustain the biz ...go out of business. It's like the new minimum wage laws...you may be a restaurant fast food place or movie theater that hates that game, but you're not going to ask your customers to make separate donations so you can now afford to pay the cooks. Just raise prices. Oh wait...you have to be good for that to work....
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 weeks ago Recruiting the portal is significantly different then recruiting high schoolers when it comes to "stealth" mode.

Probably the biggest thing is the expedited timeline. In previous recruiting cycles, players may have been in contact with a staff for 1 year + which gives them plenty of time to speak to reporters, websites etc regarding their recruitment. They may be among the top 150/250 kids in their class, so they receive plenty of attention.

With the portal, everything needs to be done in a relatively quick period. So players are focused on narrowing down their list from those 20+ schools that may initially reach out, to the ones actually offering a scholarship, to the ones that meet what they are looking for. All while 1500+ other players are doing the same thing.
Yes, not exactly a newsflash in that Archie has referred few times that the portal recruitment is more like speed dating. I wonder if Archie and staff are doing anything different this time around in the process in addition to finding players defense history, capabilities, and speed? Among other needs between the ears. See PMM post above.
Well it should be easier for them this time around.

It's why brining back a core group of players is so important.

Instead of putting together an entirely new team, they can build off the strengths and weaknesses of the group coming back.

We also have more NIL money to work with.

The staff is dealing with 5 open spots instead of 11. Easier to focus on how to distribute NIL to a smaller group of newcomers.

We SHOULD be able to acquire more talented players considering all those factors. We can also dive back into the high school ranks to fill the final spots.

Imo we need to get a PG, Wing and a center. After that, they can use the last two spots on depth. Not dismissing that we could still have more guys depart.
So..."who" exactly "distributes the NIL"? Stone? Arch? Ryan? Who? If player A gets 80K and player B gets 40K...WHO is making that call?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodyg wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago For those poo pooing the possible loss of Kenny Johnson, I think it's a big deal. He is known as one of the top recruiters in the country. The DMV is producing some of the best talent in the country. If we finally get the money to be able to get high end talent from that area, he's the one who will do it for us. If he gets a P5 job, watch the players he gets. He got us Ben Hammond when Ben could have gone to GMU, VCU or Richmond. If we lose him, we better find another strong presence in the DMV area, especially since we've been getting no kids from New England.
Aside from losing Dan Hurley, Kenny Johnson moving out would be the worst loss in URI athletics history. The implications would be drastic. They really would be. Realistically, he is all but gone, and so is Hammond (as if he’d stay for more than two years anyway). There is just this sad lack of loyalty in the selfish world of college (professional?) sports. But I really cant blame the guy $$$. Of course I hope my prediction is wrong
This 'recruiter relationship' stuff becomes le$$ and le$$ of a factor ever day. No one says "SHOW ME THE RECRUITER!!"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhodyg wrote: 3 weeks ago

Come on now, although important as lead recruiter, and contacts in the industry etc, in our history “the worst loss”……..
Please name me 2-3 other coaches/players that have left that have had as much of a negative effect as KJ leaving would have. Especially in our state of the program. We are on the edge of a cliff here. I originally typed a disclaimer that I’m confident many of you would disagree with this.
Tom Penders and Jim Harrick. Can also add Preston Murphy.
Tyrese Martin, Jacob Toppin, maybe Ish
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago I'll bet we've offered Ben 6 figures to stay.

No doubt about it.
Insanity.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago
theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago

We've had some hits with Jeremy Sheppard, Stan Robinson, Antwan Walker, Ish Leggett and Jaden House. We've had questionable ones like the Mitchell twins and Brayon Freeman. We've had misses like Jermaine Harris, Mekhi Long, Abdou Samb, Connor Dubsky and Tyson Brown. And we had the most mysterious of all, Anthony Harris. That's a lots of players the past few years. Some good. Some bad. Some indifferent. One invisible.
Billyboy, doesn't sound like the DMV has been good to us.
Not good to us? Do you ever know what you’re talking about? (No)

Jeff Dowtin and Stan Robinson. It can stop after that. Doesn’t matter who the others are.

DMV has been GREAT to us.

Without those two, we have no A10 titles or tournament wins during that era.
Didn't I say Jeff Dowtin? Do you know how to read? Me thinks not.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Yes, not exactly a newsflash in that Archie has referred few times that the portal recruitment is more like speed dating. I wonder if Archie and staff are doing anything different this time around in the process in addition to finding players defense history, capabilities, and speed? Among other needs between the ears. See PMM post above.

Instead of putting together an entirely new team, they can build off the strengths and weaknesses of the group coming back.

The staff is dealing with 5 open spots instead of 11. Easier to focus on how to distribute NIL to a smaller group of newcomers.

We SHOULD be able to acquire more talented players considering all those factors. We can also dive back into the high school ranks to fill the final spots.

Imo we need to get a PG, Wing and a center. After that, they can use the last two spots on depth. Not dismissing that we could still have more guys depart.
So..."who" exactly "distributes the NIL"? Stone? Arch? Ryan? Who? If player A gets 80K and player B gets 40K...WHO is making that call?
Wait. Aren't Archie and Ryan the same person? :lol: Ask Bob.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago If a player like Joseph commands 500k we are screwed.

100k tops.

Believe it’s well north of 100k, but would be shocked if it approached 500k. They did have to be competitive with St John’s who was offering a bag.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PCFriars wrote: 3 weeks ago

100k tops.

Believe it’s well north of 100k, but would be shocked if it approached 500k. They did have to be competitive with St John’s who was offering a bag.
That seems nuts to me, for a guy who was a kind of meh starter for a roughly .500 ACC team. He was playing 31 MPG, so it's not like he was buried on the bench. Like I said in the other thread, maybe there is a scouting reason to think he's going to improve a lot as a senior, but just looking at the stat line he seems like a perfectly fine but not incredible player.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
They need a transfer rating system...Former 4⭐️ recruit...just sounds dumb.

Just call a guy what he is, for example, "considered a 4 star transfer, with x years of eligibility left."
No one cares what a guy was rated in high school. When you sign a free agent, you're expecting him to be beyond that now. Why not have these rater dudes rate these guys...can't be any more of them than there are high schoolers
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

1 million isnt going to be enough the way this is going.

Didnt St. Joe's get a mil a year for 2 years for their NIL fund?

I know they didnt raise that, but that's not the point.

If Dayton is paying their best player 650k, their total fund has to be well north of a mil.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 weeks ago
McRam wrote: 3 weeks ago Hearing that Bassy is high on Fordham’s radar.
That would be perfect. He can go there, average 20 a game, and the team will win 10 games a year - but two of those will be against us when he goes off for 40 each time. It would be the absolutely perfect storm of frustration for us.
No, that's second tier, IMO. I think the perfect storm would be if he plays here...and the Bassy-haters that preach the NIL...have to pay him
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

100k tops.

Everyone has a price tag. With (very) rare exception though...no one knows what's written on that price tag
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

100k tops.

The money is going to eventually run out and the market will set the price. Our conference needs to be competitive with other similar conferences and we need to be in the top tier of our conference with NIL and we will be fine. How is Vermont staying afloat every year? It isn’t because their NiL is $10M a year. You have to be realistic. There’s only so many players, so many spots, and so much money. We can’t compete with P6, but we can compete with the rest. I don’t know how you spend so much time here if the program is over.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

100k tops.

Kansas supposedly offered AJ Storr 750K.

In no world is Bensley Joseph worth near 500K.

That has to be an inflated number.
1 x
Go Rhody
Ramfan22
ARD

100k tops.

Kansas supposedly offered AJ Storr 750K.

In no world is Bensley Joseph worth near 500K.

That has to be an inflated number.
I’ve heard a lot better players receiving less money.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

No player is worth hundreds of thousands.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The numbers will only go up until common sense takes over and some guardrails are established.
0 x
dmac80
Jim Eitner

Unread post by dmac80 »

Joseph is a plus defender. Stable older PG who can run the offense and shoot the 3. He also went to the Elite 8, and the following year the Final 4. He competed in the ACC. He will bring that confidence to the roster. He was a coveted experienced PG. Which PC needed, as we had too young of a PG crew last year. You won't see NBA stats from 99% of these kids as the games and minutes are shorter. And they actually play defense. I believe I read somewhere he was ranked around 50ish in the portal.

Big get for Providence. And no way was his NIL 500K. Likely 100 plus. PC fans expect minimum 2 more impact transfers. Maybe 3 depending on roster and scholarships and NIL. Still much work to do.

Crossing fingers for Griffiths.

Who or what positions is URI targeting?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Things are getting completely ridiculous. This guy was born in 1997 and will soon be 27 years old and about to enter his eighth year of college.

3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ramfan22 wrote: 3 weeks ago Rhode Island showed interest

Four big-time football schools.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago Things are getting completely ridiculous. This guy was born in 1997 and will soon be 27 years old and about to enter his eighth year of college.

Must be getting his masters. :roll:
2 x
dmac80
Jim Eitner

Unread post by dmac80 »

Can someone explain how he ends up with 8 seasons?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

dmac80 wrote: 3 weeks ago Joseph is a plus defender. Stable older PG who can run the offense and shoot the 3. He also went to the Elite 8, and the following year the Final 4. He competed in the ACC. He will bring that confidence to the roster. He was a coveted experienced PG. Which PC needed, as we had too young of a PG crew last year. You won't see NBA stats from 99% of these kids as the games and minutes are shorter. And they actually play defense. I believe I read somewhere he was ranked around 50ish in the portal.

Big get for Providence. And no way was his NIL 500K. Likely 100 plus. PC fans expect minimum 2 more impact transfers. Maybe 3 depending on roster and scholarships and NIL. Still much work to do.

Crossing fingers for Griffiths.

Who or what positions is URI targeting?
People bitch and moan here too much to speculate on transfer portal targets, but there hasn't been a lot of information leaked about who we are targeting.

A center and a wing are our two most pressing needs because we have just one true 5 man and zero wing players.

Then we likely get a veteran true PG for Ben Hammond to learn under? That or we roll with Ben, Luis and Always at PG and grab another shooting guard.

5 total spots available, at least 3 quality starters and a couple depth guys?

A wing
2 centers
2 guards
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago Things are getting completely ridiculous. This guy was born in 1997 and will soon be 27 years old and about to enter his eighth year of college.

If he stays another 15 or 16 years, he might break Caitlin Clark’s record.

She makes 3.1 in NILDO btw.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I agree, but played 4 full seasons and injured the rest. Obviously using his free Covid year.

I can understand why he’s getting one more year.
Attachments
IMG_7720.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bump.

Seriously...who makes the call as to who gets what? I mean, it can't be anyone affiliated with the school supposedly, right? Who's slicing the pie? Surely Arch has some input...? Totally new parta coachin'...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bump.

Seriously...who makes the call as to who gets what? I mean, it can't be anyone affiliated with the school supposedly, right? Who's slicing the pie? Surely Arch has some input...? Totally new parta coachin'...
Who is making the call? The grand fubar/poobah of URI hoops?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I agree, but played 4 full seasons and injured the rest. Obviously using his free Covid year.

I can understand why he’s getting one more year.
He can maybe even get a 9th year...only played two full non-covid seasons.

Talk about injury prone

EDIT: wait next year would be his 9th
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Somebody suggested college teams need GMs now. I think they're right. Might as well add a separate department for scouting, scouts who can go around the country looking at players during the season when the assistants are busy actually coaching. Might as well create some new positions. It's basically professional sports now anyway. Gonna need money to pay these new positions. Start donating! :lol:
No. Let the team/enterprise figure out how to generate enough money to hire people, to be able to be good enough, so people will want to go/buy tickets/cable/merch/etc. It IS pro sports. This is an entertainment industry. What other enterprise does anything like this NIL nonsense? If they can't figure out how to afford to get good enough for people to want to buy the product in order to sustain the biz ...go out of business. It's like the new minimum wage laws...you may be a restaurant or movie theater that hates that game, but you're not going to ask your customers to make separate donations so you can now afford to pay the cooks. Just raise prices. Oh wait...you have to be good for that to work....
Wait, what? You literally just described how restaurants work. They drastically underpay all front of house employees and count on you paying their employees for them in the form of tips
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago

No. Let the team/enterprise figure out how to generate enough money to hire people, to be able to be good enough, so people will want to go/buy tickets/cable/merch/etc. It IS pro sports. This is an entertainment industry. What other enterprise does anything like this NIL nonsense? If they can't figure out how to afford to get good enough for people to want to buy the product in order to sustain the biz ...go out of business. It's like the new minimum wage laws...you may be a restaurant a fast food place or movie theater that hates that game, but you're not going to ask your customers to make separate donations so you can now afford to pay the cooks. Just raise prices. Oh wait...you have to be good for that to work....
Wait, what? You literally just described how restaurants work. They drastically underpay all front of house employees and count on you paying their employees for them in the form of tips
Good point...fixed it.
0 x
dmac80
Jim Eitner

Unread post by dmac80 »

bump.

Wouldn't it be the head coach and AD working together to put together packages? I would suspect AD along with his finance person has the final say on what the program "can afford" for a package. I'm learning NIL like all of you, so some of NIL might be cash from a collective and some might be deals with local businesses and or opportunities for the kids to sell stuff and sign stuff etc right?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

No. Let the team/enterprise figure out how to generate enough money to hire people, to be able to be good enough, so people will want to go/buy tickets/cable/merch/etc. It IS pro sports. This is an entertainment industry. What other enterprise does anything like this NIL nonsense? If they can't figure out how to afford to get good enough for people to want to buy the product in order to sustain the biz ...go out of business. It's like the new minimum wage laws...you may be a restaurant fast food place or movie theater that hates that game, but you're not going to ask your customers to make separate donations so you can now afford to pay the cooks. Just raise prices. Oh wait...you have to be good for that to work....
It's not that complicated.

The NIL burden is mostly on the shoulders of the big donors. The regular fans like us are just a bonus.

Instead of boosters giving money to pay under the table illegally or giving money for new amenities, they shell out money to pay players.

But you want as much money as possible, so you create a collective to get regular fans involved.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago

No. Let the team/enterprise figure out how to generate enough money to hire people, to be able to be good enough, so people will want to go/buy tickets/cable/merch/etc. It IS pro sports. This is an entertainment industry. What other enterprise does anything like this NIL nonsense? If they can't figure out how to afford to get good enough for people to want to buy the product in order to sustain the biz ...go out of business. It's like the new minimum wage laws...you may be a restaurant or movie theater that hates that game, but you're not going to ask your customers to make separate donations so you can now afford to pay the cooks. Just raise prices. Oh wait...you have to be good for that to work....
Otherwise you can say goodbye to most any family owned restaurant!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 weeks ago

And today...looking like maybe she's underpaid... 18 points in Q1
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And that 18 points is an all time record for NCAA Tournament play.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

She is a great shooter but her passing really surprised me. Best female college basketball player I've seen.
0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Wait. Aren't Archie and Ryan the same person? :lol: Ask Bob.
Many people are wondering
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I was hoping we would reach out to him, posted earlier in this thread.
(PF/C Albany) Jonathan Beagle (6'10"/240) averaged 12.5 pts/ 9.5 rebs, commits to Richmond.

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago I was hoping we would reach out to him, posted earlier in this thread.
(PF/C Albany) Jonathan Beagle (6'10"/240) averaged 12.5 pts/ 9.5 rebs, commits to Richmond.

Same, there’s a few interest lists that came out where I was pretty confident URI would be on there but they weren’t. Coaching staff must have some top targets right now and we obviously have no idea who they are. It wouldn’t surprise me if we land a commitment this week though, just a guess.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago I was hoping we would reach out to him, posted earlier in this thread.

Doesn't seem like a fit for us anyway - his defense numbers are awful. He had 8 blocks this year at Albany, and his defensive plus minus was bad too. We already have two good offense big men, we probably don't need a third.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Doesn't seem like a fit for us anyway - his defense numbers are awful. He had 8 blocks this year at Albany, and his defensive plus minus was bad too. We already have two good offense big men, we probably don't need a third.
We will see, hope to hear something this week.
We do lack depth upfront, and he did average 9.5 boards not shabby and can finish in the paint.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm racking my brain trying to think of who our two good offensive big men are.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Personally, I favor defensive prowess/rim protection in a big over scoring as a priority for a big for us. It won’t be easy for us to land a big who is strong on both O and D, imho, as they are not plentiful. So, I lean D as the bigger need for now for a big.

That said, I have no idea what the staff is prioritizing in a big.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Rhode Island is showing interest in NIU transfer David Coit. 5’11” junior guard who averaged 20.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and a steal per game.

Northern Illinois guard David Coit tells me these are the main schools he’s hearing from since going portaling:

LSU
TCU
BYU
Utah
Rhode Island
Duquesne
San Jose State
0 x