Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramfan22
ARD

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 3 weeks ago
DevRam wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhode Island lock per Vault
Is he saying that now? Or did he say that last time we were after him? Since Vault blocked me, I can't see his posts.
I’m just making fun of what he said last year
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago For those poo pooing the possible loss of Kenny Johnson, I think it's a big deal. He is known as one of the top recruiters in the country. The DMV is producing some of the best talent in the country. If we finally get the money to be able to get high end talent from that area, he's the one who will do it for us. If he gets a P5 job, watch the players he gets. He got us Ben Hammond when Ben could have gone to GMU, VCU or Richmond. If we lose him, we better find another strong presence in the DMV area, especially since we've been getting no kids from New England.
Aside from losing Dan Hurley, Kenny Johnson moving out would be the worst loss in URI athletics history. The implications would be drastic. They really would be. Realistically, he is all but gone, and so is Hammond (as if he’d stay for more than two years anyway). There is just this sad lack of loyalty in the selfish world of college (professional?) sports. But I really cant blame the guy $$$. Of course I hope my prediction is wrong
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhode Island lock per Vault
Is he saying that now? Or did he say that last time we were after him? Since Vault blocked me, I can't see his posts.
I’m just making fun of what he said last year
He hasn't blocked you yet?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodyg wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago For those poo pooing the possible loss of Kenny Johnson, I think it's a big deal. He is known as one of the top recruiters in the country. The DMV is producing some of the best talent in the country. If we finally get the money to be able to get high end talent from that area, he's the one who will do it for us. If he gets a P5 job, watch the players he gets. He got us Ben Hammond when Ben could have gone to GMU, VCU or Richmond. If we lose him, we better find another strong presence in the DMV area, especially since we've been getting no kids from New England.
Aside from losing Dan Hurley, Kenny Johnson moving out would be the worst loss in URI athletics history. The implications would be drastic. They really would be. Realistically, he is all but gone, and so is Hammond (as if he’d stay for more than two years anyway). There is just this sad lack of loyalty in the selfish world of college (professional?) sports. But I really cant blame the guy $$$. Of course I hope my prediction is wrong
Come on now, although important as lead recruiter, and contacts in the industry etc, in our history “the worst loss”……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago
Come on now, although important as lead recruiter, and contacts in the industry etc, in our history “the worst loss”……..
Please name me 2-3 other coaches/players that have left that have had as much of a negative effect as KJ leaving would have. Especially in our state of the program. We are on the edge of a cliff here. I originally typed a disclaimer that I’m confident many of you would disagree with this.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Please name me 2-3 other coaches/players that have left that have had as much of a negative effect as KJ leaving would have. Especially in our state of the program. We are on the edge of a cliff here. I originally typed a disclaimer that I’m confident many of you would disagree with this.
Tom Penders and Jim Harrick. Can also add Preston Murphy.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We had two future NBA players transfer to bluebloods in the same off season.

Also had an Elite 8 and A10 championship head coach bolt for Georgia.

But sure, an assistant coach who hasn’t brought in anyone worthwhile (TBD on Hammond) is the biggest loss ever.
4 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago

Tom Penders and Jim Harrick. Can also add Preston Murphy.
To my knowledge, the program was in no where near the predicament we’re in currently when they each left. Please correct me otherwise. Yes - they were massive for the program, but you cant compare losing them in their college hoops eras of kids hanging around 3-4 years to the shit storm that we’re in now. Keeping KJ is detrimental to ensuring that we’re not in the bottom half of the A-10 for years to come. Keeping Kenny is more massive than you can imagine, clearly. I’m absolutely willing to agree to disagree.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jack Kraft, Tom Penders, Jim Harrick.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago

We had two future NBA players transfer to bluebloods in the same off season.

Also had an Elite 8 and A10 championship head coach bolt for Georgia.

But sure, an assistant coach who hasn’t brought in anyone worthwhile (TBD on Hammond) is the biggest loss ever.
It’s pretty funny that you consider losing Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin comparable to losing Kenny Johnson in this state of the program
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How good are things now with KJ?

I would agree if he leaves and takes Hammond with him, but if he leaves and Ben stays, dont see it as a big loss.

What has Archie done to this point?

As far as I'm concerned, we're at or very near the bottom as a program right now.

It can't get much worse no matter what happens,really.
1 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
I would agree if he leaves and takes Hammond with him, but if he leaves and Ben stays, dont see it as a big loss.
This I agree with. My argument was based on the implication that he takes Hammond with him and brings elite DMV players in wherever he goes to - yes, elite players that could play here. That’s the power that he has if he can hang on here and Hammond is successful in year 1- and hangs around, himself.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Oh wait Kenny is still leaving!?

Hold phone everyone! He's just needed two and a half weeks to iron out his deal with G-Town! He's gonna bring Hammond in to beat out the two blue chip PG's that are alreadt there! You know how long these coaching moves take...they take ages I tell you!

Doom and gloom!
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Me thinks KJs rep here, or else where will be based on his employers ability to pay his touted recruits. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago Oh wait Kenny is still leaving!?

Hold phone everyone! He's just needed two and a half weeks to iron out his deal with G-Town! He's gonna bring Hammond in to beat out the two blue chip PG's that are alreadt there! You know how long these coaching moves take...they take ages I tell you!

Doom and gloom!
I've said it before. Ben will not go to Georgetown. But if Kenny goes to Georgetown, I think Ben goes to George Mason. Hope I'm wrong.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago How good are things now with KJ?

As far as I'm concerned, we're at or very near the bottom as a program right now.

If Kenny does leave, we need to replace him with a coach with strong ties to the DMV. That market has been very good to us for the past decade or so. We need to still have a presence there.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 weeks ago Recruiting the portal is significantly different then recruiting high schoolers when it comes to "stealth" mode.

Probably the biggest thing is the expedited timeline. In previous recruiting cycles, players may have been in contact with a staff for 1 year + which gives them plenty of time to speak to reporters, websites etc regarding their recruitment. They may be among the top 150/250 kids in their class, so they receive plenty of attention.

With the portal, everything needs to be done in a relatively quick period. So players are focused on narrowing down their list from those 20+ schools that may initially reach out, to the ones actually offering a scholarship, to the ones that meet what they are looking for. All while 1500+ other players are doing the same thing.
Yes, not exactly a newsflash in that Archie has referred few times that the portal recruitment is more like speed dating. I wonder if Archie and staff are doing anything different this time around in the process in addition to finding players defense history, capabilities, and speed? Among other needs between the ears. See PMM post above.
Well it should be easier for them this time around.

It's why brining back a core group of players is so important.

Instead of putting together an entirely new team, they can build off the strengths and weaknesses of the group coming back.

We also have more NIL money to work with.

The staff is dealing with 5 open spots instead of 11. Easier to focus on how to distribute NIL to a smaller group of newcomers.

We SHOULD be able to acquire more talented players considering all those factors. We can also dive back into the high school ranks to fill the final spots.

Imo we need to get a PG, Wing and a center. After that, they can use the last two spots on depth. Not dismissing that we could still have more guys depart.
Not sure about a point guard, or at least a quality point guard. I am assuming that any solid point guard will look at Hammond and the experience side covered with Luis and conclude playing time would be an issue. I’d rather go for two center types and three shooting guard or wings.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll bet we've offered Ben 6 figures to stay.

No doubt about it.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Where was/is Archie’s hot area for any of his former players?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If Kenny does leave, we need to replace him with a coach with strong ties to the DMV. That market has been very good to us for the past decade or so. We need to still have a presence there.
Besides JD, who came from the DMV?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago I'll bet we've offered Ben 6 figures to stay.

No doubt about it.
Do we really know what we have in the bank?
0 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

Money and playing time = Commitment
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We've had some hits with Jeremy Sheppard, Stan Robinson, Antwan Walker, Ish Leggett and Jaden House. We've had questionable ones like the Mitchell twins and Brayon Freeman. We've had misses like Jermaine Harris, Mekhi Long, Louis Hutchinson, Abdou Samb, Connor Dubsky and Tyson Brown. And we had the most mysterious of all, Anthony Harris. That's a lots of players the past few years. Some good. Some bad. Some indifferent. One invisible.
Last edited by Billyboy78 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We've had some hits with Jeremy Sheppard, Stan Robinson, Antwan Walker, Ish Leggett and Jaden House. We've had questionable ones like the Mitchell twins and Brayon Freeman. We've had misses like Jermaine Harris, Mekhi Long, Abdou Samb, Connor Dubsky and Tyson Brown. And we had the most mysterious of all, Anthony Harris. That's a lots of players the past few years. Some good. Some bad. Some indifferent. One invisible.
Billyboy, doesn't sound like the DMV has been good to us.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We've had some hits with Jeremy Sheppard, Stan Robinson, Antwan Walker, Ish Leggett and Jaden House. We've had questionable ones like the Mitchell twins and Brayon Freeman. We've had misses like Jermaine Harris, Mekhi Long, Abdou Samb, Connor Dubsky and Tyson Brown. And we had the most mysterious of all, Anthony Harris. That's a lots of players the past few years. Some good. Some bad. Some indifferent. One invisible.
Not good to us? Do you ever know what you’re talking about? (No)

Jeff Dowtin and Stan Robinson. It can stop after that. Doesn’t matter who the others are.

DMV has been GREAT to us.

Without those two, we have no A10 titles or tournament wins during that era.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, we've been pretty bad for a few years now, so no area has really been good to us lately. But with Jeff, Ish, Shep, Antwan, Stan and Jaden, it's easily been our best from Jeff Dowtin on.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

KJ on his IG just reposted a story that included A tweet that read "Rhode Island commit Ben Hammond finished with 20 points 13 assists zero turnovers in Paul VI win over IMG".

Story reposts like this just seem weird to me if KJ really was leaving and had intentions of going to GTown in a matter of a week or two.

His post on IG yesterday had his first picture of him as the Rhode island coach dapping up house with DG in the background

Small things like that just make me lean towards him not leaving. You could never be fore certain but one can always hope.

Or at the very least a sign hammond would stay if KJ would leave.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Shepard was a “hit” ? I must have missed that.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree losing Kenny would sting a lot but I wouldn’t put it in the devastating territory
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago Shepard was a “hit” ? I must have missed that.
He was one of the better players on the team in Cox's last 2 years. Bad team. I think he would have been better on a good team. He was a pretty good player, IMO.
5 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago Shepard was a “hit” ? I must have missed that.
He was one of the better players on the team in Cox's last 2 years. Bad team. I think he would have been better on a good team. He was a pretty good player, IMO.
He was a better Robin to a Batman, his last year he really couldn’t be the team leader
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

How does he have eligibility left? He's done 5 seasons, even with a covid year he should be done, no?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 weeks ago
How does he have eligibility left? He's done 5 seasons, even with a covid year he should be done, no?
In 21-22 he received a medical hardship waiver, only played 7 games (broke his foot).
1 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

I ran into an old friend at gansett wraps earlier today. We couldn’t stop talking about next season when the rams have a facelift!! In the atlantic 10, were always just one offseason away
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 3 weeks ago I ran into an old friend at gansett wraps earlier today. We couldn’t stop talking about next season when the rams have a facelift!! In the atlantic 10, were always just one offseason away
Hell yeah!

Did he watch Ben Hammond yesterday too?? 😂
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 3 weeks ago I ran into an old friend at gansett wraps earlier today. We couldn’t stop talking about next season when the rams have a facelift!! In the atlantic 10, were always just one offseason away
Was it Pat Riley? #oldkeaneybluereferences
8 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
They’ll be getting Gavin Griffiths from Rutgers too
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Seems kind of underwhelming, from his stat line - doesn't get to the line, shoots OK but not great, not a huge amount of assists or steals. Unless they see something on his scouting tape they like, he seems more like a depth piece than someone that starts on a good team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Hearing that also, but not a done deal yet.
In '23 he was upgraded to a 5* recruit (247) ranked #20.
Had a decent freshman season and good size at wing 6'8".
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Hearing that Bassy is high on Fordham’s radar.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn you Kim English
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We recruited Joseph out of high school. He's from Mass. and played for PSA and Cushing in CT.
Last edited by Billyboy78 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago We recruited Joseph out of high school. He's from Mass. and played for PSA in CT.
I believe he unofficially visited URI during the 2019 URI/PC game
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 3 weeks ago Hearing that Bassy is high on Fordham’s radar.
That would be perfect. He can go there, average 20 a game, and the team will win 10 games a year - but two of those will be against us when he goes off for 40 each time. It would be the absolutely perfect storm of frustration for us.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he does it's just another great decision by Archie.

Can it get worse?

Sure as shit!
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 weeks ago
McRam wrote: 3 weeks ago Hearing that Bassy is high on Fordham’s radar.
That would be perfect. He can go there, average 20 a game, and the team will win 10 games a year - but two of those will be against us when he goes off for 40 each time. It would be the absolutely perfect storm of frustration for us.
If so Blue Man can yell at him to "keep shooting"! :lol:
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago If he does it's just another great decision by Archie.

Can it get worse?

Sure as shit!
Who cares if he goes to Fordham?
1 x
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

"underwhelming"
Yeah I'd agree with that. Never saw him play -that I can remember- but I don't think he can hurt you offensively and as long as he doesn't fire up 10-15 shots you are probably ok with what you get. If he is playing good D. Don't think he's much of a distributor. Some price tags say 500k. Is he worth that? No.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If a player like Joseph commands 500k we are screwed.

I seriously doubt that number though.

100k tops.

It's like everyone has a price tag attached to them.

It's gotten beyond ridiculous.
1 x