Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Can coaches donate? If so maybe Archie should donate some of the $500,000 bonus he just received. He could consider it a investment in himself since it could help his coaching career get going again and out of the downward spiral
Or he could give us each an $18,000 gift (largest amount for it to remain tax free) and we could donate it.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Can coaches donate? If so maybe Archie should donate some of the $500,000 bonus he just received. He could consider it a investment in himself since it could help his coaching career get going again and out of the downward spiral
Unfortunately not, can't donate cash directly.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
See my comment above. What about that?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Very questionable, the coach can also attend and participate in NIL fund raising events.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago you are correct

i have no idea what it means

i had to google how to spell it out actually so you got me

let's call it something else then.. "menotpayingapennyforaplayerthatcanleaveinayear"

having said that.. i hope you all donate and subscribe tons of money
Calling the collective a Ponzi scheme, openly admitting you have no idea what it means, but still called it that anyways.

So basically you're just full of shit and spew bs all the time.

We already knew that though, glad you finally admitted it.
2 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago you are correct

i have no idea what it means

i had to google how to spell it out actually so you got me

let's call it something else then.. "menotpayingapennyforaplayerthatcanleaveinayear"

having said that.. i hope you all donate and subscribe tons of money
Calling the collective a Ponzi scheme, openly admitting you have no idea what it means, but still called it that anyways.

So basically you're just full of shit and spew bs all the time.

We already knew that though, glad you finally admitted it.

love you too !

hugs and kisses :)
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

one thing R15 needs to realize...

you see.. if no one cares about what you type...

then no one is insulted by personal attacks...

it's only when one respects a person are they troubled by personal attacks

the floor is yours.. i am about done w this silly banter..
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago one thing R15 needs to realize...

you see.. if no one cares about what you type...

then no one is insulted by personal attacks...

it's only when one respects a person are they troubled by personal attacks

the floor is yours.. i am about done w this silly banter..
It's just very odd to me you have such strong feelings about the collective and you call it a phrase when you have no clue what it actually means.

That makes less than zero sense.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Very questionable, the coach can also attend and participate in NIL fund raising events.
His wife could donate. Plus, $50k right now you get double the return. Plus, if you reference “Godfather’s Basketball Fund” on your donation Terino will match it if you read his book. Archie can triple his money 😂
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I do understand the concern about donating towards players, who then may transfer in 10-12 months. I’m assuming there’s some financial security?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Let's see if some old fashioned peer pressure can work.

In addition to donating to athletics and monthly subscription to the collective, I decided to help with this fundraising challenge. Hoping maybe some more here will be inspired to get us to the $50k match level. That's $100k and enough to get a great A10-level starter.

It doesn't have to be big dollars - this community is large enough that $10 will be more than enough to get across the finish line.
Attachments
Donation Challenge.jpg
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 weeks ago I do understand the concern about donating towards players, who then may transfer in 10-12 months. I’m assuming there’s some financial security?
You also can't keep players without NIL.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is just so out of hand. What does this have to do with Name, Image and Likeness?

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago This is just so out of hand. What does this have to do with Name, Image and Likeness?

And just for perspective, the URI collective is having a $50k fundraiser.
1 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 weeks ago Let's see if some old fashioned peer pressure can work.

In addition to donating to athletics and monthly subscription to the collective, I decided to help with this fundraising challenge. Hoping maybe some more here will be inspired to get us to the $50k match level. That's $100k and enough to get a great A10-level starter.

It doesn't have to be big dollars - this community is large enough that $10 will be more than enough to get across the finish line.
Thank you Kyle. Consider your next beer at the pub on me
1 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

Im just addicted to monitoring the transfer portal
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NIL is kaput.

It's a pay to play free for all.

Highest bidder wins.

Unfortunately we are going to be under bidders for a lot of players that could really help us

50k won't buy a bucket of shit.

God help us.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago This is just so out of hand. What does this have to do with Name, Image and Likeness?

It doesn't? Even people urging other fans to support our collective acknowledge that what is going on has nothing to do with name, image, and likeness.

Does it matter that what is happening has nothing to do with name, image, and likeness? No. The is the system. Participate or get left in the dust
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago NIL is kaput.

Highest bidder wins.

Unfortunately we are going to be under bidders for a lot of players that could really help us

God help us.
50k gets us to 100k because of the matching promotion. That isn't the only money we'll have available either
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Highest bidder wins.

God help us.
50k gets us to 100k because of the matching promotion. That isn't the only money we'll have available either
Per the above post by BillyBoy, Kansas offered a player $750K. It might be time to throw in the white towel.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It doesn't? Even people urging other fans to support our collective acknowledge that what is going on has nothing to do with name, image, and likeness.

Does it matter that what is happening has nothing to do with name, image, and likeness? No. The is the system. Participate or get left in the dust
And we will be left in the dust. This isn't college sports, not to me anyway. It's sickening.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago

Highest bidder wins.

God help us.
Per the above post by BillyBoy, Kansas offered a player $750K. It might be time to throw in the white towel.
And he turned it down....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Highest bidder wins.

God help us.
Yeah, cause we've always been in recruiting battles with Kansas. Remember when we beat them out for Paul Pierce and how great he was on our 97-98 team?

Oh wait...
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm going to guess that if we want to compete at the top of the A10, it will cost a million a year or more.

At least 100k average for a high level A10 starter.

That's 500k for the starting 5.

And this is for the A10.

Who gives a fuck how good a recruiter you are anymore?

You will have one recruiting tool going forward.

How much you got?
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Whether it was pre-NIL or now, we would never be in the discussion with certain kids, so drawing comparisons to "million dollar demands" is an exercise in absurdity. When the dust settles the 5-star kids get the big bucks and go to the P4 conferences. They were going to those schools before NIL!

There will be a bunch of schools who choose to swim in the next layer of the ocean. Just like before. The question is: do we ante up and swim there? Or do we all get Eeyore tattooed on our biceps and whine our way to the middle of the America East conference?

We're not being asked to pitch in 10k apiece. We're being asked to make an investment in the program. For those who want strings attached (player has to stay or you will never get my nickels!!), find a favorite AE/NEC/MAAC team and settle in.

Too many here have champagne dreams while only willing to commit to a Mogen David budget.

I'm a retired fan from far enough away to see what awaits if we turn our backs on the program now (i.e. Univ. of New Hampshire). As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Re: the move the earn the $50k match - count me in.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And just for perspective, the URI collective is having a $50k fundraiser.
AJ Storr was a borderline AA this year and potential NBA pick.

We weren’t competing for players like him before NIL anyways.
3 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, cause we've always been in recruiting battles with Kansas. Remember when we beat them out for Paul Pierce and how great he was on our 97-98 team?

Oh wait...
Remember how we used to get guys like Silk Owens, Sly Williams, Cuttino Mobley, Jiggy Williamson....(insert other names from 1980-2010)............EC Matthews, Jared Terrell? Done. We no longer have a chance to get that kind of talent.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We will end up getting cheaper players and then hope to hell they get better once they are here.

It's possible, but the staff is going to have to do a better job of identifying those players than they have so far.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Whether it was pre-NIL or now, we would never be in the discussion with certain kids, so drawing comparisons to "million dollar demands" is an exercise in absurdity. When the dust settles the 5-star kids get the big bucks and go to the P4 conferences. They were going to those schools before NIL!

There will be a bunch of schools who choose to swim in the next layer of the ocean. Just like before. The question is: do we ante up and swim there? Or do we all get Eeyore tattooed on our biceps and whine our way to the middle of the America East conference?

We're not being asked to pitch in 10k apiece. We're being asked to make an investment in the program. For those who want strings attached (player has to stay or you will never get my nickels!!), find a favorite AE/NEC/MAAC team and settle in.

Too many here have champagne dreams while only willing to commit to a Mogen David budget.

I'm a retired fan from far enough away to see what awaits if we turn our backs on the program now (i.e. Univ. of New Hampshire). As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Re: the move the earn the $50k match - count me in.
We are a microcosm of URI Men's College Basketball fans. URI grads in general just do not contribute to the school. The endowment is $200M. UNH (back turned) has an endowment of $500M. UNH has 2k less students than URI. Not sure what the problem is. URI should have an endowment close to $600M. Thus, we have a $50k fundraiser for NIL. Tough for us die hard fans, but it is what it is.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Oh wait... but... but... schools cannot take part in the Collective or pay the players.
Oh but of course they can negotiate to get the players and yeah that certainly makes so much sense.
The hypocrisy of it all, what a joke it has all become.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

No way it will cost a million a year for top A10. You guys are literally throwing out numbers with no clue or any factual basis to prove that. Just like KJ recruited jameson smith. Spewing facts out your ass with no actual facts behind it. Maybe top couple to 10 recruits get offered similar that to AJ storr. But most are no way near that.

Also that doesn't mean shit. Did anyone actually watch the NCAA tourney the last few years. Ummm well if you did. A team like Oakland and FAU coke to mind. You think they had even a 1/4 of the NIL that Kentucky and NC State have or last years Tennessee, K State.

It doesn't mean you can't compete. You just got to put you program in the best position you can. Parody is more prevalent in College ball than ever before.

Just because you post a million times a day the most depressing life story ever doesn't mean it's true. Some of you need a break and please take one.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Whether it was pre-NIL or now, we would never be in the discussion with certain kids, so drawing comparisons to "million dollar demands" is an exercise in absurdity. When the dust settles the 5-star kids get the big bucks and go to the P4 conferences. They were going to those schools before NIL!

If you're an old time fan like I am, you will remember that we used to get 5 star players like Sly Williams and Jiggy Williamson (although they weren't ranked that way back in the 70s) and plenty of 4 star players. We don't have a shot at anyone like that under the current system.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago No way it will cost a million a year for top A10. You guys are literally throwing out numbers with no clue or any factual basis to prove that. Just like KJ recruited jameson smith. Spewing facts out your ass with no actual facts behind it. Maybe top couple to 10 recruits get offered similar that to AJ storr. But most are no way near that.

Also that doesn't mean shit. Did anyone actually watch the NCAA tourney the last few years. Ummm well if you did. A team like Oakland and FAU coke to mind. You think they had even a 1/4 of the NIL that Kentucky and NC State have or last years Tennessee, K State.

It doesn't mean you can't compete. You just got to put you program in the best position you can. Parody is more prevalent in College ball than ever before.

Just because you post a million times a day the most depressing life story ever doesn't mean it's true. Some of you need a break and please take one.
If this is directed at me, and I assume it is, screw you. I've been a die hard fan of this team for 55 years.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Want a sticker? Maybe a gold one? You act like Coach K and Coach Cal hasn't been paying the top recruits behind closed doors for years.

Just because you been a fan for 55 years means ypu know what your talking about.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago No way it will cost a million a year for top A10. You guys are literally throwing out numbers with no clue or any factual basis to prove that. Just like KJ recruited jameson smith. Spewing facts out your ass with no actual facts behind it. Maybe top couple to 10 recruits get offered similar that to AJ storr. But most are no way near that.

If this is directed at me, and I assume it is, screw you. I've been a die hard fan of this team for 55 years.
Want a sticker? Maybe a gold one? You act like Coach K and Coach Cal hasn't been paying the top recruits behind closed doors for years.

Just because you been a fan for 55 years means ypu know what your talking about.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

If you're an old time fan like I am, you will remember that we used to get 5 star players like Sly Williams and Jiggy Williamson (although they weren't ranked that way back in the 70s) and plenty of 4 star players. We don't have a shot at anyone like that under the current system.
Apples and oranges. That era is a far in the past as the Gas House Gang of the 40"s. Recruiting was more regional. Blockbuster TV contracts were not yet the norm. This is our problem. Sly Williams. Jiggy Williamson. (both CT kids). We may as well be talking Calverley and Shannon. The world has moved on. It has changed. Do we change with it? Or do we look in the rear view mirror lamenting the by-gone days. Trite, but it's worth saying - the windshield and rear view mirrors are their sizes for a reason.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We are a microcosm of URI Men's College Basketball fans. URI grads in general just do not contribute to the school. The endowment is $200M. UNH (back turned) has an endowment of $500M. UNH has 2k less students than URI. Not sure what the problem is. URI should have an endowment close to $600M. Thus, we have a $50k fundraiser for NIL. Tough for us die hard fans, but it is what it is.
Generally I observe that URI has lower than average school spirit among existing student and alumni. Hell, when I was at URI students were outright PC fans and didn’t care that they went to URI. I also know a bunch of people who attended UNH and they are very proud to tell you.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago

Apples and oranges. That era is a far in the past as the Gas House Gang of the 40"s. Recruiting was more regional. Blockbuster TV contracts were not yet the norm. This is our problem. Sly Williams. Jiggy Williamson. (both CT kids). We may as well be talking Calverley and Shannon. The world has moved on. It has changed. Do we change with it? Or do we look in the rear view mirror lamenting the by-gone days. Trite, but it's worth saying - the windshield and rear view mirrors are their sizes for a reason.
Ok, would EC Matthews and Jared Terrell have come here under the current landscape?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Ok, would EC Matthews and Jared Terrell have come here under the current landscape?
I think so, if Hurley was the coach recruiting them still. P5's had every recruiting advantage over us at that time to and he still convinced them to come here.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Ok, would EC Matthews and Jared Terrell have come here under the current landscape?
I think so, if Hurley was the coach recruiting them still. P5's had every recruiting advantage over us at that time to and he still convinced them to come here.
The answer is yes. You need a program headed in the right direction with a good/right coach.

Class 2024
Loyoal Chicago has a 4 star Daniil Glazkov
Arkansas St has a 4 star Josh Hill
Harvard has a 4 star Robert Hinton
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

And we will be left in the dust. This isn't college sports, not to me anyway. It's sickening.
That’s why I’ll never give money

But the rest of you / please do !

It becomes a principle thing

Now if that player commits to uri for 4 years or his duration (unless the coach leaves) then I’ll donate
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There are unsubstantiated reports out there that A-10 member Dayton's NIL paid out close to $1.2M last season with Holmes getting more than half (some $650k).
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Oh wait... but... but... schools cannot take part in the Collective or pay the players.
Oh but of course they can negotiate to get the players and yeah that certainly makes so much sense.
The hypocrisy of it all, what a joke it has all become.
I think the tweet author just used "kansas" as a nebulous term for the collective. Schools can't directly contribute but can help fundraiser for the collective (meaning having the athletics staff encourage boosters to donate to the collective).
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's what we are up against even in our own conference.

Btw, EC came here to help build a program, he said so himself.

The core 4 so to speak, all stayed here and it paid off after a few years.

Does anyone think these kids today would say or do the same in this environment?

I stand by my comment that it will take 7 figures to acquire enough talent to compete against the top of our own league.

There are some here that will make up any excuse possible to avoid admitting reality regarding the state of the game today.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Some anonymous donor kicked in 15,000 so big ups to whoever that is. Another with a 1,200 donation so there are some generous fans out there who want to help the program succeed.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe EC would have come here (although I doubt it) ,but I totally disagree about Jared. Being a top 50ish recruit with the body to immediately compete with 21 and 22 year olds, he would have been offered by other schools 2 or 3 times what we would have been able to offer. I don't blame the kids at all. Many come from poor families, so grabbing the best financial offer is a great thing for them to be able to help their families. That's the system. Take full advantage of it. It's the system that sucks, not for the players, for the game.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago

I wouldn’t contribute a dime to this. The answer is we get left behind and more and more people stop watching this sport. I have lost a lot of my luster and just don’t care as much. Crazy that there was a 30 for 30 on SMU and all the illegal money given to football players in the 80’s. There is no reason to follow any rules in college basketball or football any longer. Maybe we can get lucky by winning the automatic bid in the A-10 every 8-12years. The odds of this program ever getting a at large bid again is almost laughable. The idea that 6-8 guys have to transfer every year even if the team has success is a complete joke.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ben Hammond is a 4*, high school recruit.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Maybe EC would have come here (although I doubt it) ,but I totally disagree about Jared. Being a top 50ish recruit with the body to immediately compete with 21 and 22 year olds, he would have been offered by other schools 2 or 3 times what we would have been able to offer. I don't blame the kids at all. Many come from poor families, so grabbing the best financial offer is a great thing for them to be able to help their families. That's the system. Take full advantage of it. It's the system that sucks, not for the players, for the game.
Terrell was such a man amongst boys from Day 1.

Physical freak, bodied everyone. Killer.

Surprised he didn’t hang around the NBA longer.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Ben Hammond is a 4*, high school recruit.
I like 4* recruits!!! :lol: :lol:
1 x