Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hammond could be another Tyson Wheeler, unfortunately he probably will be that for a P5 school by the time he's a junior or senior.

If he's really good as a freshmen he's as good as gone soon after, unless we can throw a huge pile of money at him, and even that might not be enough.

We are ultimately going to have to rely on one or two year players who are hopefully good enough when they get here for us to succeed.

The proverbial revolving door. Developing players over several years is history, at least at our level.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

It could happen eventually but im pretty sure Dick Weiss fell for s fake report. Lebron confirmed he had no idea where the report came from.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 weeks ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 month ago Here's the latest Portal Tracker for Rhody:

Portal-Tracker'24.png
I decided to do a little digging. For the past couple of years, a large percentage of our recruits and our portal interests have been from the DMV area. There are 14 guys on this current list. How many from the DMV area? Zero. There are 6 from NY/NJ. Those would be Duane. 3 are from Illinois. Those would be one our midwest guys, Cunningham, Sander or Graves, suggesting one of them has been moved up to a recruiting position. One is from Mass...Austin. Then, 2 are from Florida and interestingly, 2 are from the state of Washington (who could that be?) My point being, since zero are from the DMW, it doesn't appear that Kenny is still working for us.
IDK how true this is, but I heard we have been talking to a few assistant coaches who are waiting to see what KJ does. So it seems like we are planning on him leaving. We need to know soon.
Are we really letting KJ and Georgetown control our options????
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

BU transfer Anthony Morales committed to Kent State. Pretty good pickup for them.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

McRam wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I decided to do a little digging. For the past couple of years, a large percentage of our recruits and our portal interests have been from the DMV area. There are 14 guys on this current list. How many from the DMV area? Zero. There are 6 from NY/NJ. Those would be Duane. 3 are from Illinois. Those would be one our midwest guys, Cunningham, Sander or Graves, suggesting one of them has been moved up to a recruiting position. One is from Mass...Austin. Then, 2 are from Florida and interestingly, 2 are from the state of Washington (who could that be?) My point being, since zero are from the DMW, it doesn't appear that Kenny is still working for us.
IDK how true this is, but I heard we have been talking to a few assistant coaches who are waiting to see what KJ does. So it seems like we are planning on him leaving. We need to know soon.
No offense to you McRam but why does everyone think that we’ve only reached out to like 8-9 people there’s many more we’ve reached out to, KJ & Georgetown is not controlling our options, we have many options, like for example Joe said earlier we reached out to the NIU guard, it’s not public on social media and there’s many more we don’t know about
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Dino611 wrote: 3 weeks ago

No offense to you McRam but why does everyone think that we’ve only reached out to like 8-9 people there’s many more we’ve reached out to, KJ & Georgetown is not controlling our options, we have many options, like for example Joe said earlier we reached out to the NIU guard, it’s not public on social media and there’s many more we don’t know about
Not every transfer gets interest lists posted or wants interest lists posted. I’ve spoken to a few who don’t want them publicly out. It wouldn’t surprise me if we contacted over 30/40 transfers.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I know there’s another JUCO we saw other than the one mentioned here
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Dino611 wrote: 3 weeks ago

No offense taken. I was not referring to players. I was referring to the appearance that we are waiting for KJ and Georgetown to make up their minds. I would hope that we are not giving KJ whatever time he needs to make his decision and if it doesn’t work out with Cooley he always has a job with us.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those poo pooing the possible loss of Kenny Johnson, I think it's a big deal. He is known as one of the top recruiters in the country. The DMV is producing some of the best talent in the country. If we finally get the money to be able to get high end talent from that area, he's the one who will do it for us. If he gets a P5 job, watch the players he gets. He got us Ben Hammond when Ben could have gone to GMU, VCU or Richmond. If we lose him, we better find another strong presence in the DMV area, especially since we've been getting no kids from New England.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago This site tracks transfers. Up to 677 as of right now at 11:30am 03-21-2024:

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers
As of 3:00pm 03/25/2024, the portal is now up to 886
As of 10:30am 03/30/2024, the portal is now up to 1,182

As of 10:45am on 04/03/2024, the portal is now up to 1,333
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Another player to keep an eye on who just entered the portal and maybe Duane can reach out to.

(PG) Eric Acker (6'2") freshman from NYC attended LIU.
He was on the NEC All-Freshman Team, averaged 13 pts/ 4 assists.
He can push the ball up, decent mid-range game, finish at the rim, and dish.

Would have 3 years eligibility left.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago Another player to keep an eye on who just entered the portal and maybe Duane can reach out to.

(PG) Eric Acker (6'2") freshman from NYC attended LIU.
He was on the NEC All-Freshman Team, averaged 13 pts/ 4 assists.
He can push the ball up, decent mid-range game, finish at the rim, and dish.

Would have 3 years eligibility left.
Also very young, so a lot of upside left too. Youngest player in D1 this past year.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 3 weeks ago
It could happen eventually but im pretty sure Dick Weiss fell for s fake report. Lebron confirmed he had no idea where the report came from.
The same supposed "journalist" that reported that Porter Moser was leaving Oklahoma to take the Depaul job?

The journalism profession has really sunk to new lows. Lazy journalism without getting real confirmations. Running with rumors as if they are fact. It would seem that Dick Weiss is living off his past and should probably seriously consider retirement given his recent reporting.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As expected, PC's Devin Carter declares for the NBA draft:

1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Carter seems like one of those guys that probably won't ever be an all-star, but he'll have a solid career for plenty of years. He had a big jump up in production this year, but it was across the board, not just because he shot better. It looks like initially played for Frank Martin at South Carolina, but didn't follow him to UMass. (Can't blame him - Just some bizarre playing time decisions, looking at the box scores. He started seven games, but ranged from 8 to 31 minutes in those games, and was blocked by arguably worse players even as a freshman.)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Smart move for Devin if mocked in the 11-15 range , hope PC struggles next season without him
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Portal news has been pretty damn quiet
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

There’s stuff going on. We’re just not going to hear about it.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 3 weeks ago There’s stuff going on. We’re just not going to hear about it.
Me want PG

Me want Wing

Me want Center
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Stealth 🥷 Train 🚂
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wake me when we land someone.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Hearing UConn may be in play, especially if Clingan is NBA bound.

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago Hearing UConn may be in play, especially if Clingan is NBA bound.

Heard that too
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Wake me when we land someone.
Bone, does that include preferred walk ons? We have those open also.😉
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am pretty sure this also applies to the portal.

The "Dead Period" begins today and runs through 4/11.
No in-person contact with recruits, obviously no visits.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well then no announcements for another week.

Zzzzzzzzzz.......
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Louisville's lone remaining scholarship player has entered the portal. Every player from the 23/24 team is now portaling. As Grace Slick say 55 years ago: "It's a new dawn."
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Louisville's lone remaining scholarship player has entered the portal. Every player from the 23/24 team is now portaling. As Grace Slick say 55 years ago: "It's a new dawn."
The coach that recruited them got fired, and they went 8-24 this year. I kind of doubt either side was eager for the relationship to continue.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Louisville's lone remaining scholarship player has entered the portal. Every player from the 23/24 team is now portaling. As Grace Slick say 55 years ago: "It's a new dawn."
Are they all trying to find "Somebody to love"?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago Hearing UConn may be in play, especially if Clingan is NBA bound.

Ex PC commit, clear cut Big East talent.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dude was banged up a lot, but should be solid in the BE. I'd imagine they'd want him to shed some weight.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Stealth Mode = We got nothing.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 3 weeks ago Stealth Mode = We got nothing.
Yet...
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Used to laugh when posters praised the "stealth mode": recruiting- ended up not working very well
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago Coit is a bucket! And... a true PG! Would be a huge addition. Really nice looking stroke from 3.

Check his game log too. Had four 30 point games!

He also performed well against the better teams he played against.

Played Akron twice (MAC champs) dropped 21 and 35 against them

Iowa: 23 pts
Marquette: 14
Northwestern: 12
Indiana State: 13
Depaul: 34 (I know they are terrible, but they still have A-10 level athletes)
App St( regular season sunbelt champs, beat Auburn): 27 pts

His scoring should translate well enough at our level and just by virtue of him being an actual PG will help us a lot.

Him or Jaquan Carlos,who was also all defensive team in the CAA, would be as close to humeruns as you could ask for.
I can't tell from the video...

Is he a winner? How does he take "hard" coaching? What's his attitude? Is he a good teammate? What's his work ethic? How does he deal with adversity? Does he walk to the bench when he's subbed out? What's his body language when he's having a bad game? Can he defend? 98 assists/70 TO's...not exactly Jeff Dowtin taking care of the ball.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Recruiting the portal is significantly different then recruiting high schoolers when it comes to "stealth" mode.

Probably the biggest thing is the expedited timeline. In previous recruiting cycles, players may have been in contact with a staff for 1 year + which gives them plenty of time to speak to reporters, websites etc regarding their recruitment. They may be among the top 150/250 kids in their class, so they receive plenty of attention.

With the portal, everything needs to be done in a relatively quick period. So players are focused on narrowing down their list from those 20+ schools that may initially reach out, to the ones actually offering a scholarship, to the ones that meet what they are looking for. All while 1500+ other players are doing the same thing.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 3 weeks ago
Used to laugh when posters praised the "stealth mode": recruiting- ended up not working very well
It was only stealth mode because we don't have anyone covering recruiting for the program.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 3 weeks ago Recruiting the portal is significantly different then recruiting high schoolers when it comes to "stealth" mode.

Probably the biggest thing is the expedited timeline. In previous recruiting cycles, players may have been in contact with a staff for 1 year + which gives them plenty of time to speak to reporters, websites etc regarding their recruitment. They may be among the top 150/250 kids in their class, so they receive plenty of attention.

With the portal, everything needs to be done in a relatively quick period. So players are focused on narrowing down their list from those 20+ schools that may initially reach out, to the ones actually offering a scholarship, to the ones that meet what they are looking for. All while 1500+ other players are doing the same thing.
Somebody suggested college teams need GMs now. I think they're right. Might as well add a separate department for scouting, scouts who can go around the country looking at players during the season when the assistants are busy actually coaching. Might as well create some new positions. It's basically professional sports now anyway. Gonna need money to pay these new positions. Start donating! :lol:
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bos8 wrote: 3 weeks ago Recruiting the portal is significantly different then recruiting high schoolers when it comes to "stealth" mode.

Yes, not exactly a newsflash in that Archie has referred few times that the portal recruitment is more like speed dating. I wonder if Archie and staff are doing anything different this time around in the process in addition to finding players defense history, capabilities, and speed? Among other needs between the ears. See PMM post above.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago

Yes, not exactly a newsflash in that Archie has referred few times that the portal recruitment is more like speed dating. I wonder if Archie and staff are doing anything different this time around in the process in addition to finding players defense history, capabilities, and speed? Among other needs between the ears. See PMM post above.
Well it should be easier for them this time around.

It's why brining back a core group of players is so important.

Instead of putting together an entirely new team, they can build off the strengths and weaknesses of the group coming back.

We also have more NIL money to work with.

The staff is dealing with 5 open spots instead of 11. Easier to focus on how to distribute NIL to a smaller group of newcomers.

We SHOULD be able to acquire more talented players considering all those factors. We can also dive back into the high school ranks to fill the final spots.

Imo we need to get a PG, Wing and a center. After that, they can use the last two spots on depth. Not dismissing that we could still have more guys depart.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s true just say for example we find a better shooting guard than Jaden , wouldn’t Haden then toss his name right into the portal ?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago

if it's speed dating, he better be trying to get his pp wet on every date.
0 x
:lol:
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 weeks ago That’s true just say for example we find a better shooting guard than Jaden , wouldn’t Haden then toss his name right into the portal ?
Probably. If it definitely meant that he wouldn't be starting.

Right now you got him and Cam playing the same position and Luis can also play off the ball.

But if he's still here then he must be in our plans and Archie wouldn't recruit over him.

I tell you right now though...Luis and Ways ain't starting over Ben Hammond...ain't no damn way lol
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

DevRam wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhode Island lock per Vault
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
reef wrote: 3 weeks ago That’s true just say for example we find a better shooting guard than Jaden , wouldn’t Haden then toss his name right into the portal ?
Probably. If it definitely meant that he wouldn't be starting.

Right now you got him and Cam playing the same position and Luis can also play off the ball.

But if he's still here then he must be in our plans and Archie wouldn't recruit over him.

I tell you right now though...Luis and Ways ain't starting over Ben Hammond...ain't no damn way lol
We play at least 3 guards at a time and want to play fast. There are plenty of minutes for the first 5 guards in the rotation.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 3 weeks ago
DevRam wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhode Island lock per Vault
Is he saying that now? Or did he say that last time we were after him? Since Vault blocked me, I can't see his posts.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I was blocked too. Let’s start a club.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1 x