Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago So I'll just ask Stone here. If top players are going for about $250K a year, and we get a starting five that the NIL is paying $1.25M a year for players, how does this work? So fans contribute money to the NIL, to pay for top players to come here and win games, pack the Ryan Center and go to the NCAAT. Concessions make a ton on all the fans plus the $14 a beer. The University loves it as applications are crazy and the fees are coming in. The media loves it and the rights to the A10 increase. Yet the people paying the players get squat? We are just happy to pay millions for players, plus tickets, plus concessions? Imagine if the Celtics said the fans need to contribute to a fund to pay for players. Just imagine that.
Do you really believe that revenue from Celtics fans does not cover the salaries of the players?
5 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The players need to be paid by those making the money on them. That seems like the logical solution…no?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago So I'll just ask Stone here. If top players are going for about $250K a year, and we get a starting five that the NIL is paying $1.25M a year for players, how does this work? So fans contribute money to the NIL, to pay for top players to come here and win games, pack the Ryan Center and go to the NCAAT. Concessions make a ton on all the fans plus the $14 a beer. The University loves it as applications are crazy and the fees are coming in. The media loves it and the rights to the A10 increase. Yet the people paying the players get squat? We are just happy to pay millions for players, plus tickets, plus concessions? Imagine if the Celtics said the fans need to contribute to a fund to pay for players. Just imagine that.
Do you really believe that revenue from Celtics fans does not cover the salaries of the players?
Right, the entity making the money should pay the players. No matter where the money came from, tv, merch, concessions, tix.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago
Right, the entity making the money should pay the players. No matter where the money came from, tv, merch, concessions, tix.
Has not donations always been a part of funding college sports? I am still honestly trying to get my head around this. Boosters at the big programs have apparently been doing this forever. The players from decades ago are pretty open about the fact that they were paid.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Has not donations always been a part of funding college sports? I am still honestly trying to get my head around this. Boosters at the big programs have apparently been doing this forever. The players from decades ago are pretty open about the fact that they were paid.
This is what is so baffling to me. A lot of people seem to prefer the old way where players were paid illegally and only the top programs could really do it regularly.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
Yikes.

Was flipping through the channels the other night and started watching the movie Blue Chips. Some things never change; they are just repackaged.

Hadn’t watched the movie in ages. It’s been so long that I forgot about it. Nick Nolte was excellent as the HC. Well done college basketball movie.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
Yikes.

Was watching the movie Blue Chips the other night. Some things never change; they are just repackaged.
Such a great movie!!
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Plus Celtics are allowed to pay the players since they're professionals. It's an entirely different model in college so long as we keep the façade that the college kids are still "amateur athletes." In college, the schools and coaches currently cannot pay the kids directly. It was a dumb analogy for sure.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago
Plus Celtics are allowed to pay the players since they're professionals. It's an entirely different model in college so long as we keep the façade that the college kids are still "amateur athletes." In college, the schools and coaches currently cannot pay the kids directly. It was a dumb analogy for sure.
Blue Ram making a dumb analogy/comment? I’m shocked!
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago
Blue Ram making a dumb analogy/comment? I’m shocked!
Rhody15 shitting on someone? I'm shocked!
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago Is there anything stopping a coach from donating to the school’s NIL? If I wanted job security as a coach I could just take some cash, send it to the NIL and get better playersz
Nevermind job security. Let's say you have a $100,000 bonus for making the tournament. Wouldn't you want to donate up to $50,000 to help get players to earn that bonus?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not surprising, they are paying the salaries of the players so basically they own the team…literally. What a mess. Did anyone see Christian Laettners take on NIL and the portal? To summarize: he thinks they are both ruining everything.

Giving to NIL feels very different than giving money to the program, with the program it can be used for many of the actual things that they need from facilities to charters and yes, even salaries. But with NIL you are literally paying the salaries of these players and it feels like you now have an employee employer relationship or at least you should since you are now basically part owner.
This line of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. Why wouldn't you feel like a part owner when you donate to a capital project or other school fund?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago What's the return on NIL dollars? Like if I contribute, I am now paying players salaries. So what is the return if the team makes money? This isn't charitable contributions. This is salary.
Honest question, are you actually being serious when you ask questions like this? Or just trying to get a rise out of people? I genuinely can't tell sometimes.
If they're seriously asking than they're not a serious person, so either way they're not serious?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago What's the return on NIL dollars? Like if I contribute, I am now paying players salaries. So what is the return if the team makes money? This isn't charitable contributions. This is salary.
Honest question, are you actually being serious when you ask questions like this? Or just trying to get a rise out of people? I genuinely can't tell sometimes.
If they're seriously asking than they're not a serious person, so either way they're not serious?
It's a gofundme for paying players.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago The players need to be paid by those making the money on them. That seems like the logical solution…no?
The players are fighting to become employees. If and when that happens NIL will probably go away. Something tells me fans like you will bitch about that too and whine about how that's going to ruin college sports for you
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Question, sorry if this ground has been plowed. Can an NIL offer incentive bonuses, example regular season conference championships, from its NIL piggy bank?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago The players need to be paid by those making the money on them. That seems like the logical solution…no?
The players are fighting to become employees. If and when that happens NIL will probably go away. Something tells me fans like you will bitch about that too and whine about how that's going to ruin college sports for you
If that happens (college basketball players become employees), I would guess more than 100 schools end college hoops.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
If that happens (college basketball players become employees), I would guess more than 100 schools end college hoops.
Me thinks players become employees will result in schools just grinding more money from a variety of sources including going into your pocket for more; parking fees, adding on to seat tickets, etc etc. maybe some schools will drop non revenue sports. The uniforms will look like race car drivers, ya know att that stuff.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

I'm not trying to infer that anyone in this discussion is dumb or has a stupid take. I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'd say we have many different points of view and my personal point of view keeps evolving.

We have boosters who are willing to donate substantial dollars into their favorite athletic programs hoping to raise the level of the program. We also have what I consider to be loyal fans who attend athletic events regularly, hit the concessions, 50/50 raffles and make occasional small donations that do not really move the needle (my current and default situation whenever I have lived in the local area) and another group of fans who show up less frequently in general but are more inclined to participate during the good times. The fan experience of course is better when the teams are competitive.

I appreciate the boosters big time but probably will not become one unless I win the lottery or my investments start performing. I realize we need them to elevate the level of the programs. I have considered joining them, but in reality, I have 2 nieces and 3 nephews who are soon to start entering college and they are not likely to be receiving full scholarships and stipends. They are going to have large expenses to get their education. I've weighed my options and decided I'd rather help each of them out with a lump sum upon graduation instead of contributing serious dollars to the NIL opportunities of some very good college basketball players. Some boosters may think I just do not get it but I have my own priorities.

I'm all for the boosters getting extra perks and better seats to the events. They are carrying more of the load. The loyal fans support the program by paying the "market value" the University can charge for the experience at the current time. I have little doubt they will raise prices for the experience whenever they can in the future and that will likely be when the less active fans get more involved once they are winning and they decide "market value" is a good deal. The fact is the Athletic Department really needs to increase all levels of support to move up the ladder and stay there.

I'd prefer the seat upgrade process was transparent. I do not want to guess what donation is required to get better seats. I had inquired years ago and you would have thought I was asking for nuclear launch codes. I had club seats for a couple of seasons and they were half decent. There are other club seats that are IMHO great seats. Maybe they could hold a public auction for some of the better seats before each season? That would be wild. I would surely participate for a few good club seats.

Being a pro sports fan is more of a straight forward transaction that we are long accustomed to. They set prices to maximize their revenue over the long term. We can choose to either pay market value or not support the team. We are not asked for donations to improve the team. If the entertainment level is not high their players and coaches will not receive large salaries look at the WNBA for example. If the entertainment level is high the players and coaches will be well paid and franchises will thrive like the NBA for example.

I find it interesting that quite a few of the "blue blood" programs evolved in areas that have decent sized populations but little in the way of professional sports franchises so the schools had less competition to harvest cash available for sports entertainment. I expect the largest population centers to eventually rise to the top.

I suspect what annoys some of the non-boosters is that many programs are running deficits. It follows that participants are probably being compensated at levels exceeding the entertainment value when expenses are accounted for so we surmise that perhaps the coaching staffs are overpaid. We accuse them of not wanting to "share the pie". There have been many statements made by coaches about the current situation that are hypocritical self-serving BS. Boosters of the programs often make claims that people do not "get it" and ancillary benefits of having a good sports team is well worth it to the schools. Pro sports fan make similar arguments when cities are paying huge amounts to build sports stadiums for professional franchises. Many people who are not sports fans think we are all delusional.

I actually like that the formerly rule breaking programs now have to play on a more level playing field where you are not breaking laws/rules by participating but am not sure how this is all going to play out over time. Will I eventually become a booster? Will I stay a loyal fan that pays market value? Will I start to lose interest in college basketball if we do not improve? I enjoyed this past Rhody football season much more than the last 4 basketball seasons although some of my favorite all time sports memories are linked to Rhody hoops.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I appreciate the boosters big time but probably will not become one unless I win the lottery or my investments start performing.
Off topic, but I have a fund I'm in that has returned over 10% YTD. PM me and I'll give you the ticker. It's been pretty good over the years.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Funny off topic. Do we need a Rhody Investment help group also? 😉
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Unbelievable amounts of mental gymnastics to avoid giving $10 a month 😂

I'm sure you all don't blow more than $10 on unnecessary shit like alcohol, tobacco, weed, fast food, fancy clothes etc.

I'm sure you are all incredibly frugal people that never waste money on anything! Especially not TEN dollars 😂
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Unbelievable amounts of mental gymnastics to avoid giving $10 a month 😂

I'm sure you all don't blow more than $10 on unnecessary shit like alcohol, tobacco, weed, fast food, fancy clothes etc.

I'm sure you are all incredibly frugal people that never waste money on anything! Especially not TEN dollars 😂

Totally agree, maybe for some it is the principle involved here. Call what you want, being shaken down, paying “students” already on free academic ride, let the employer pay the employees, on and on. It always comes down to consumer paying increased costs. Pay up, shut up, show up, wear Keaney Blue. Don’t like the product, move on with the piss away money to something else. Can’t fault the folks that find the Collective concept.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago Unbelievable amounts of mental gymnastics to avoid giving $10 a month 😂

Totally agree, maybe for some it is the principle involved here. Call what you want, being shaken down, paying “students” already on free academic ride, let the employer pay the employees, on and on. It always comes down to consumer paying increased costs. Pay up, shut up, show up, wear Keaney Blue. Don’t like the product, move on with the piss away money to something else. Can’t fault the folks that find the Collective concept.
Yeah but it's also like....its a consumer based economy! Markets are competitive and no one is forcing them to "pay up and shut up" So they're going to blow 10 dollars on chips and dip instead of directly helping their team acquire talent and win games?! Poison your body instead???

There are actual perks too and additional perks to come.

So now I've paid, got two cool decals, there's a discount at the Rhody Excellence store whenever it opens and I'm sure there will be events in the future that members can go to. Autographs, tailgates etc.

You're not getting taken advantage of. You're not being extorted. It's an OFFER to be part of an NIL collective or a club.

But some people are incredibly stubborn.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

Yeah but it's also like....its a consumer based economy! Markets are competitive and no one is forcing them to "pay up and shut up" So they're going to blow 10 dollars on chips and dip instead of directly helping their team acquire talent and win games?! Poison your body instead???

So now I've paid, got two cool decals, there's a discount at the Rhody Excellence store whenever it opens and I'm sure there will be events in the future that members can go to. Autographs, tailgates etc.

You're not getting taken advantage of. You're not being extorted. It's an OFFER to be part of an NIL collective or a club.

Sounds like the Fast Break Club
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

Sounds like the Fast Break Club
Now it is being referred to a a “club” ?………not a good vibe to that for me. OK, club seats in all the 100s sections, center court for the 200s for the club members, wait staff food and drink, roped off the the nonmembers, let the non members Parkin the fields, shuttle bus from Kingston Sta. And sitin the 300s…..maybe some are OK with that.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago I'm not trying to infer that anyone in this discussion is dumb or has a stupid take. I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'd say we have many different points of view and my personal point of view keeps evolving.

We have boosters who are willing to donate substantial dollars into their favorite athletic programs hoping to raise the level of the program. We also have what I consider to be loyal fans who attend athletic events regularly, hit the concessions, 50/50 raffles and make occasional small donations that do not really move the needle (my current and default situation whenever I have lived in the local area) and another group of fans who show up less frequently in general but are more inclined to participate during the good times. The fan experience of course is better when the teams are competitive.

I appreciate the boosters big time but probably will not become one unless I win the lottery or my investments start performing. I realize we need them to elevate the level of the programs. I have considered joining them, but in reality, I have 2 nieces and 3 nephews who are soon to start entering college and they are not likely to be receiving full scholarships and stipends. They are going to have large expenses to get their education. I've weighed my options and decided I'd rather help each of them out with a lump sum upon graduation instead of contributing serious dollars to the NIL opportunities of some very good college basketball players. Some boosters may think I just do not get it but I have my own priorities.

I'm all for the boosters getting extra perks and better seats to the events. They are carrying more of the load. The loyal fans support the program by paying the "market value" the University can charge for the experience at the current time. I have little doubt they will raise prices for the experience whenever they can in the future and that will likely be when the less active fans get more involved once they are winning and they decide "market value" is a good deal. The fact is the Athletic Department really needs to increase all levels of support to move up the ladder and stay there.

I'd prefer the seat upgrade process was transparent. I do not want to guess what donation is required to get better seats. I had inquired years ago and you would have thought I was asking for nuclear launch codes. I had club seats for a couple of seasons and they were half decent. There are other club seats that are IMHO great seats. Maybe they could hold a public auction for some of the better seats before each season? That would be wild. I would surely participate for a few good club seats.

Being a pro sports fan is more of a straight forward transaction that we are long accustomed to. They set prices to maximize their revenue over the long term. We can choose to either pay market value or not support the team. We are not asked for donations to improve the team. If the entertainment level is not high their players and coaches will not receive large salaries look at the WNBA for example. If the entertainment level is high the players and coaches will be well paid and franchises will thrive like the NBA for example.

I find it interesting that quite a few of the "blue blood" programs evolved in areas that have decent sized populations but little in the way of professional sports franchises so the schools had less competition to harvest cash available for sports entertainment. I expect the largest population centers to eventually rise to the top.

I suspect what annoys some of the non-boosters is that many programs are running deficits. It follows that participants are probably being compensated at levels exceeding the entertainment value when expenses are accounted for so we surmise that perhaps the coaching staffs are overpaid. We accuse them of not wanting to "share the pie". There have been many statements made by coaches about the current situation that are hypocritical self-serving BS. Boosters of the programs often make claims that people do not "get it" and ancillary benefits of having a good sports team is well worth it to the schools. Pro sports fan make similar arguments when cities are paying huge amounts to build sports stadiums for professional franchises. Many people who are not sports fans think we are all delusional.

I actually like that the formerly rule breaking programs now have to play on a more level playing field where you are not breaking laws/rules by participating but am not sure how this is all going to play out over time. Will I eventually become a booster? Will I stay a loyal fan that pays market value? Will I start to lose interest in college basketball if we do not improve? I enjoyed this past Rhody football season much more than the last 4 basketball seasons although some of my favorite all time sports memories are linked to Rhody hoops.
Good stuff there, thank you for the view from where you sit.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The hardest part about all this, is getting good.

Once we do, it should be easier to stay good, as long as we have a coach that stays a while.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

As a URI fan I assure you that my investment in alcohol is 100% necessary
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago
Yeah hoping that changes !
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

reef wrote: 4 weeks ago
How many times has this highly paid hypocrite changed jobs at this time of year? Imagine making this kind of money and complaining about needing to manage your human resources. Corporate execs work circles around these basketball head coaches.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Get on board! Join here: https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/

1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 weeks ago
How many times has this highly paid hypocrite changed jobs at this time of year? Imagine making this kind of money and complaining about needing to manage your human resources. Corporate execs work circles around these basketball head coaches.
I don't know why anyone would disagree with this. Players should be able to declare but I don't think the portal should open until the Tuesday after the championship.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago Get on board! Join here: https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/

Hard pass

Fix the system and then I’ll consider

Give me a commitment to the team and then I’ll give a commitment to cash

One and done is not for me
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I don't know why anyone would disagree with this. Players should be able to declare but I don't think the portal should open until the Tuesday after the championship.
You should contact Dan Gavitt and let him know your feelings. Dan can fix it. He is the man - plus PC and NBE connections.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago Get on board! Join here: https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/

Would imagine this is announcing some key players staying?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NC State and UConn have teams in both the NCAA 2024 Men's AND Women's Final Fours. That is quite an accomplishment given some 350 teams compete in D1.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I disagree simply because it really doesn't matter. Even if the portal wasn't open kids would announce it on their own and coaches and collectives would be reaching out to kids not announced for the portal to try and poach them. Might as well just get it out in the open as soon as possible
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Section104 wrote: 4 weeks ago

If that's the case then this is sad. Has it come down to celebrating being able to keep some players you recruited a year or so ago? Guys like Cam and Fuchs are good players, but a 'Big Week' had better be getting some really good transfers to help a much needed upgrade with the roster.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 weeks ago

If that's the case then this is sad. Has it come down to celebrating being able to keep some players you recruited a year or so ago? Guys like Cam and Fuchs are good players, but a 'Big Week' had better be getting some really good transfers to help a much needed upgrade with the roster.

agreed !
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Could just mean a big donation.

I really don’t get our complaining sometimes.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Blue Man wrote: 4 weeks ago

Lets hope Soloviev is putting up some big NIL $$$$
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Or the launch of the Rhody excellence store, announcements of events, how much has been raised, or a massive single donation.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

79RhodyFan wrote: 4 weeks ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 weeks ago

Lets hope Soloviev is putting up some big NIL $$$$
Bigger hope would be someone outside of the usual suspects that have been floating this program for decades. The only way Rhody competes in this era is if more donors come out of the woodwork and step up. Because based on the complaints from this board, it ain't coming from the rank and file fans.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I definitely did not take it as as meaning any sort of player announcements. I would be surprised if the collective was making those kinds of announcements but I could be wrong. I just assumed it was something related to Rhody Excellence and not a player. Like Rhody15 said, new events, the store, a big donation, something like that.
6 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I definitely did not take it as as meaning any sort of player announcements. I would be surprised if the collective was making those kinds of announcements but I could be wrong. I just assumed it was something related to Rhody Excellence and not a player. Like Rhody15 said, new events, the store, a big donation, something like that.
UMass NIL Collective makes player announcements - I guess that's the only reason I was thinking that was a possibility
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I definitely did not take it as as meaning any sort of player announcements. I would be surprised if the collective was making those kinds of announcements but I could be wrong. I just assumed it was something related to Rhody Excellence and not a player. Like Rhody15 said, new events, the store, a big donation, something like that.
UMass NIL Collective makes player announcements - I guess that's the only reason I was thinking that was a possibility
Yeah who knows, anything is possible these days!
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice! That's great news!
2 x