Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago We will really know the writing's on the wall when or if Hammond enters the portal.

This stealth mode plus the footdragging about KJ is just more frustration surrounding this program.

Same for the collective announcement, whatever it is.
Agree 100% that’s the one I’m watching closely.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Joe95 wrote: 3 weeks ago David Coit 5’11 bucket getter out of Northern Illinois has been contacted by the staff, averaged 20 ppg on 40/33 shooting.
I watched him alot this year. I liked him alot dude can definitely flat out score. The NIU definitely under performed this year. I would definitely like this addition.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago We will really know the writing's on the wall when or if Hammond enters the portal.

This stealth mode plus the footdragging about KJ is just more frustration surrounding this program.

Agree 100% that’s the one I’m watching closely.
Hammond can’t enter the portal he’d be just asking to be released from his NLI if anything does happen, matter of the fact is that this is taking too long imho
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Oh no, how will we ever recover?
Yeah, he's a walk-on and it's not a big deal. But he came here because of Kenny. That's a big deal. The writing is on the wall.

Uhhhh you realize Austin was the one who got him to come here
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Thought the recent article that came out about Hammond and his coach specifically talking about playing for Archie Miller would've been enough to quell those fears.

That and the fact that Georgetown has a future all-american PG with 2 years of eligibility, and a 4 star 6'4 backup top 25 PG recruit who was a true freshman last year...not sure that's a fit. For GT or for Hammond. If KJ were to go to Georgetown, it'd be hard to believe Hammond would be following him.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

At this point they're writing a novel on the wall. It's been two weeks since it was first reported.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know that, collectively, this place is mostly in some kind of doom spiral, but winning helps. A lot. College basketball is fun, and I guarantee you can be just as connected to and supportive of a two year guy who gets you a conference championship, for example, as a four year one. And, if your initial response is but everyone good will leave!, have some more faith in the coaches, players, and program. URI has what it needs to compete in their conference and, after that, anything can happen.
7 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

According to 247sports Zek Montgomery has entered the portal.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 3 weeks ago I know that, collectively, this place is mostly in some kind of doom spiral, but winning helps. A lot. College basketball is fun, and I guarantee you can be just as connected to and supportive of a two year guy who gets you a conference championship, for example, as a four year one. And, if your initial response is but everyone good will leave!, have some more faith in the coaches, players, and program. URI has what it needs to compete in their conference and, after that, anything can happen.
People here seemed to take to Kuran Iverson, Stan Robinson, and the rest of those teams just fine!
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BruceW wrote: 3 weeks ago According to 247sports Zek Montgomery has entered the portal.
Yeah, that's a couple days old at this point.

viewtopic.php?p=598251#p598251
1 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 weeks ago
BruceW wrote: 3 weeks ago According to 247sports Zek Montgomery has entered the portal.
Yeah, that's a couple days old at this point.

viewtopic.php?p=598251#p598251
Sorry, I just saw it today. Go Rhody.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahaha we’re now at the point of transfer walk ons posting “highlight” tapes from their practices 😂😂😂
4 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hahaha we’re now at the point of transfer walk ons posting “highlight” tapes from their practices 😂😂😂
Nice view of them in the practice facility though!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Good news afoot?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

It's kind of weird to me that a walk-on has to go into the transfer portal, but I imagine it was largely to prevent messing around with roster rules back in the day. I assume he's probably going down the divisions to actually play, or transferring closer to home, like our previous walk-ons that have left before graduating. (Ray Allen III is probably in his own category, maybe there is a low D-I school willing to give him a scholarship based on his name / pedigree alone.)
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Oh no, how will we ever recover?
Yeah, he's a walk-on and it's not a big deal. But he came here because of Kenny. That's a big deal. The writing is on the wall.
That is not true. He credited Austin Carroll for his recruitment to URI as preferred Walk-on. IDK where you got that KJ thing. If you go on his twitter is specifically has that posted as thanking Austin Carroll. If he came to URI for KJ why did he not reference or credit KJ instead of Austin Carroll?

I was wrong. I assumed it was Kenny since Jameson is from Virginia.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago

Good news afoot?

hope that rock has some rounded edges....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago

Thought the recent article that came out about Hammond and his coach specifically talking about playing for Archie Miller would've been enough to quell those fears.

That and the fact that Georgetown has a future all-american PG with 2 years of eligibility, and a 4 star 6'4 backup top 25 PG recruit who was a true freshman last year...not sure that's a fit. For GT or for Hammond. If KJ were to go to Georgetown, it'd be hard to believe Hammond would be following him.
That was an old article. If he goes somewhere else, I'm guessing it's George Mason, where one of his coaches from Paul VI and Team Takeover got a job on their staff. He might come here. Who knows.
0 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

The rock is definitely at a stand still right now. So much of collegiate sports is momentum. Look at Hurley and Uconn
1 x
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

cont. meaning this program is going to have to build
on a lot of small victories to get where we want to go.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

so that is now eight total, rostered players from 23/24 to enter the portal?

what's our culture again?
0 x
:lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why do walk-ons come here (or anywhere else) in the first place? They know they're not going to play. If it's playing time they're looking for, why not go to a lower level to begin with?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That was an old article. If he goes somewhere else, I'm guessing it's George Mason, where one of his coaches from Paul VI and Team Takeover got a job on their staff. He might come here. Who knows.
LOL

Old?

It was FIVE days ago. Are we inventing more reasons to be depressed?
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago so that is now eight total, rostered players from 23/24 to enter the portal?

Huh???
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

BobfromMatunuck wrote: 3 weeks ago The rock is definitely at a stand still right now. So much of collegiate sports is momentum. Look at Hurley and Uconn
The rock is at a standstill? Yeah, sorry it's not.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago so that is now eight total, rostered players from 23/24 to enter the portal?

Huh???
huh?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Why do walk-ons come here (or anywhere else) in the first place? They know they're not going to play. If it's playing time they're looking for, why not go to a lower level to begin with?
Rudy Ruettiger?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Why do walk-ons come here (or anywhere else) in the first place? They know they're not going to play. If it's playing time they're looking for, why not go to a lower level to begin with?
Multiple reasons walk ons may transfer besides playing time.

He might not like the school, surrounding areas, teammates, coaches. Could want to be closer to home/family.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

These guys transferring 3 times or more are not helping themselves academically. Chances are they’ll need that degree post basketball. No idea how schools even deal with that. (We couldn’t get a player who transfers once).
1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago
ace wrote: 3 weeks ago I know that, collectively, this place is mostly in some kind of doom spiral, but winning helps. A lot. College basketball is fun, and I guarantee you can be just as connected to and supportive of a two year guy who gets you a conference championship, for example, as a four year one. And, if your initial response is but everyone good will leave!, have some more faith in the coaches, players, and program. URI has what it needs to compete in their conference and, after that, anything can happen.
People here seemed to take to Kuran Iverson, Stan Robinson, and the rest of those teams just fine!
02, I was only a lurker back then but I took to them.

The losing gets me frustrated so then I get frustrated with the players, coaches, Thorr, the University, my dog, etc. :D

But, your post is a good reminder for me about cutting the short-term players some slack. That said, I may need you to post this reminder weekly during the season if we don’t start winning next year.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 weeks ago These guys transferring 3 times or more are not helping themselves academically. Chances are they’ll need that degree post basketball. No idea how schools even deal with that. (We couldn’t get a player who transfers once).
My thing is

Moving is such a pain in the ass 😂You'd think they maybe wouldn't feel like moving to a whole new state, new school, new people over and over again.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 weeks ago These guys transferring 3 times or more are not helping themselves academically. Chances are they’ll need that degree post basketball. No idea how schools even deal with that. (We couldn’t get a player who transfers once).
people who are in school for 10 years to get a degree are doctors.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Really nice addition for the Joe's in the portal.

He started 25 games at PG for Rutgers and led the team in assists, steals, and FT% (86.4%)
Also good size at 6'3", 2 years of eligibility, and can make a huge impact dropping down to our level.
Had 23 pts/ 8 rebs against Ohio State, 19 pts/ 6 assists. 5 rebs against Mich, 19 pts against Minnesota.
Also 1st Rutgers player in 6 years to score 14 pts/ 8 rebs, 8 assists in a game.

2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

For athletes and non-athletes, it is substantially easier nowadays for courses to transfer, and to keep up with classes online. We haven't had issues with our APR in years, so I assume students are still graduating wherever they end up.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LOL

Old?

It was FIVE days ago. Are we inventing more reasons to be depressed?
That paper released it 5 days ago. Those are old quotes from his coach.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago Really nice addition for the Joe's in the portal.

He started 25 games at PG for Rutgers and led the team in assists, steals, and FT% (86.4%)
Also good size at 6'3", 2 years of eligibility, and can make a huge impact dropping down to our level.
Had 23 pts/ 8 rebs against Ohio State, 19 pts/ 6 assists. 5 rebs against Mich, 19 pts against Minnesota.
Also 1st Rutgers player in 6 years to score 14 pts/ 8 rebs, 8 assists in a game.

30.5% from the field
28.2% from 3

Those are BRUTAL, but 86.4% from the FT line and starting P5 experience.

I expect him to have success in the A10.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

30.5% from the field
28.2% from 3

Those are BRUTAL, but 86.4% from the FT line and starting P5 experience.

I expect him to have success in the A10.
Yes, his FG% should improve in our conference.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Joe95 wrote: 3 weeks ago David Coit 5’11 bucket getter out of Northern Illinois has been contacted by the staff, averaged 20 ppg on 40/33 shooting.
That's great news! This kid is an absolute monster on the offensive end

Yes I know it's one move but this is absolutely filthy.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago
That's great news! This kid is an absolute monster on the offensive end

Yes I know it's one move but this is absolutely filthy.
He was 3rd team All MAC and had 10 games of 25 points or more.

Very speedy PG who is much faster than we had on our roster last year. He is a pretty good defender. I am hoping we can land him. The combo of him a House in the backcourt could be very good.

He did that probably a million times this past year. NIU puts together highlights of their games on their Youtube. If you watch that you see that play alot over the course of their games.
Last edited by sevegny7 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He does look very quick! Would probably help us play more to the style we've been trying to play.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

David Coit's nickname is Diggy. Looks like Christen Cunningham is the contact.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago David Coit's nickname is Diggy. Looks like Christen Cunningham is the contact.
https://twitter.com/diggycoit11
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
"Committed" ha!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He's also looking at the possibility of getting drafted.(Coit)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago David Coit's nickname is Diggy. Looks like Christen Cunningham is the contact.
Interesting, I would have thought Duane would be the contact.
Diggy is from Jersey and played JUCO in NJ.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Coit is a bucket! And... a true PG! Would be a huge addition. Really nice looking stroke from 3.

Check his game log too. Had four 30 point games!

He also performed well against the better teams he played against.

Played Akron twice (MAC champs) dropped 21 and 35 against them

Iowa: 23 pts
Marquette: 14
Northwestern: 12
Indiana State: 13
Depaul: 34 (I know they are terrible, but they still have A-10 level athletes)
App St( regular season sunbelt champs, beat Auburn): 27 pts

His scoring should translate well enough at our level and just by virtue of him being an actual PG will help us a lot.

Him or Jaquan Carlos,who was also all defensive team in the CAA, would be as close to humeruns as you could ask for.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Challenging matchup for Hammond when we play Joe’s next season if/when they go head to head. I’d like to see it and see how Hammond handles the challenge.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Diggy Coit ! Let’s get him !
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I really wish we would stop with the whole "mercenary" thing. And I hope that any players or recruits that might read this board understand that not all Rhode Island fans despise college basketball players as much as it may seem from reading posts here.
Three colleges in three years? The very definition of a hired gun.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Challenging matchup for Hammond when we play Joe’s next season if/when they go head to head. I’d like to see it and see how Hammond handles the challenge.
Sorry, I don't see an undersized freshman running the show...could just be me
0 x