Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 weeks ago
lookout, coach killer coming through.
0 x
:lol:
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The responses to that tweet are on fire!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 weeks ago
lookout, coach killer coming through.
I wonder if this increases his NIL $$$ potential for some schools.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Easy PASS
0 x
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ian-thomas
Thomas had a very nice season. If you're being a critic you'd say his shooting percentages are still a little weak. But every sea., rising. Why mess up a good uptick? Why look to trade up and maybe not even start?

This is going to be an interesting case. Hope he makes the right pick. Haven't heard yet where that may be.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 weeks ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 month ago Here's the latest Portal Tracker for Rhody:

Portal-Tracker'24.png
I decided to do a little digging. For the past couple of years, a large percentage of our recruits and our portal interests have been from the DMV area. There are 14 guys on this current list. How many from the DMV area? Zero. There are 6 from NY/NJ. Those would be Duane. 3 are from Illinois. Those would be one our midwest guys, Cunningham, Sander or Graves, suggesting one of them has been moved up to a recruiting position. One is from Mass...Austin. Then, 2 are from Florida and interestingly, 2 are from the state of Washington (who could that be?) My point being, since zero are from the DMW, it doesn't appear that Kenny is still working for us.
That’s more a commentary on our NIL budget than Kenny’s closing ability.

He can get us in the room with anyone. If our NIL offer is $50-60k and player x is getting $75-85k somewhere else where do you think he’s going?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Portal-Tracker'24.png
I decided to do a little digging. For the past couple of years, a large percentage of our recruits and our portal interests have been from the DMV area. There are 14 guys on this current list. How many from the DMV area? Zero. There are 6 from NY/NJ. Those would be Duane. 3 are from Illinois. Those would be one our midwest guys, Cunningham, Sander or Graves, suggesting one of them has been moved up to a recruiting position. One is from Mass...Austin. Then, 2 are from Florida and interestingly, 2 are from the state of Washington (who could that be?) My point being, since zero are from the DMW, it doesn't appear that Kenny is still working for us.
IDK how true this is, but I heard we have been talking to a few assistant coaches who are waiting to see what KJ does. So it seems like we are planning on him leaving. We need to know soon.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 weeks ago

Portal-Tracker'24.png

He can get us in the room with anyone. If our NIL offer is $50-60k and player x is getting $75-85k somewhere else where do you think he’s going?
This is true, but zero from the DMV? There must be some who would fall into the 50-60 range.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Portal-Tracker'24.png
IDK how true this is, but I heard we have been talking to a few assistant coaches who are waiting to see what KJ does. So it seems like we are planning on him leaving. We need to know soon.
Yeah it's taking forever. Sounds like we are just in limbo when it's a really bad time to be in limbo.

He's obviously not been given that great an offer if he STILL hasn't up and left. Might as well stick around, get us some players and parlay success into better job offers next year.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

This is true, but zero from the DMV? There must be some who would fall into the 50-60 range.
There definitely is. From what I know, there aren't a lot of basketball players offered 100k+ NIL deals. Very few at least. Especially from football schools. Having a 50k to 100k budget should allow us to be competitive enough.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Portal-Tracker'24.png

I would first like see how our A10 basketball rivals due in the portal as compared to us.
Let's not keep getting in the habit of making excuses for our results.
I don't think 9 teams in the A10 invested more than we did in 23-24.

If you feel it is just a question of NIL $, then why have one of the higher paid staffs in the conference or program enhancements and just use that money to buy players.

Like I said, at this time I am still reserving judgement on this staff, we need to see much improvement in 24-25.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Yeah it's taking forever. Sounds like we are just in limbo when it's a really bad time to be in limbo.

He's obviously not been given that great an offer if he STILL hasn't up and left. Might as well stick around, get us some players and parlay success into better job offers next year.
Also, maybe the administrators at Georgetown are pushing back on him, who the hell knows.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I would first like see how our A10 basketball rivals due in the portal as compared to us.

If you feel it is just a question of NIL $, then why have one of the higher paid staffs in the conference or program enhancements and just use that money to buy players.

Like I said, at this time I am still reserving judgement on this staff, we need to see much improvement in 24-25.
Lol. I would bet you they did. It's pretty settled science where if you plot the investment in the basketball programs and donations year over year, you'll find a direct correlation of the standings on a 5-10 year scale.

And you need both. You can't just have money and no coaches. You can't just have great coaches and no money. You need both. That's what a commitment is to having a competitive basketball program.

It's nothing new. This is URI. We were 2 decades behind in just simply getting a practice facility while plenty of our fans said we didn't need one because Harrick got Lamar from a trailer next to Keaney.

We can either decide to get with the times or not.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Lol. I would bet you they did. It's pretty settled science where if you plot the investment in the basketball programs and donations year over year, you'll find a direct correlation of the standings on a 5-10 year scale.

And you need both. You can't just have money and no coaches. You can't just have great coaches and no money. You need both. That's what a commitment is to having a competitive basketball program.

It's nothing new. This is URI. We were 2 decades behind in just simply getting a practice facility while plenty of our fans said we didn't need one because Harrick got Lamar from a trailer next to Keaney.

I think our investment in the program including NIL is comparable or better than most of the teams in the A10, we certainly aren't at the bottom.

I agree, it is important to have both, and I feel we are doing that.
After 3 years of Archie, we need to see some positive results, not just excuses.
I am expecting that he will turn things around this season.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Portal-Tracker'24.png

I have stayed clear of this topic because I am not really sure how I feel about it. I will tell you this, I am not a fan at all of what the NIL has become. It has nothing to with NIL, it is now a pay for play system. Kids were screwed before when their images were being used without compensation. Supreme Court ruled, correctly, that their image and likeness cannot be used without compensation. How it has gone from that to a pay for play system is extremely disappointing to me and many others. This is the direct result of big boosters paying players and states telling the NCAA to GTFO out of this area. It is a complete cluster.

Now we have NIL budgets to pay the players. As one that has always supported the program financially, I did so because I loved college basketball and I loved Rhody hoops. Part of that was because the players were part of my great college experience. They were there for four and five years and I would see them in classes, playing pick up hoops and at frat parties. They were a part of the culture of the campus, and it was the best four (OK five) years of my life. Now there here today, gone tomorrow, nothing more than hired guns. I have done pretty well financially for myself, but I am really having a hard time deciding what to do going forward. I know Blueman will rant on about this and that, but I may be out going forward. Paying college players basically directly rubs me the wrong way. Call me whatever, do not really care what others think. But let me just say, there are many that feel the same way. Knowing myself, I will probably continue to contribute and support the program financially going forward. But for how long, who knows. It is no longer the game or experience that I fell in love with.
15 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Well stated, thank you.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

EXACTLY

they ain't getting my money

no thank you

OUT !

ruined college hoops forever

my family will get my money

now if a kid will give a 4 year commitment, then i will reconsider
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dino611 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Portal-Tracker'24.png
Kenny works in the dark, didn’t know a lot about who he recruited til the actual visits
So, Dino, if our Asst. Coaches were a fleet of US Air Force jet fighters, then KJ is the stealth fighter of our Rhody fleet? :D
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think our investment in the program including NIL is comparable or better than most of the teams in the A10, we certainly aren't at the bottom.

After 3 years of Archie, we need to see some positive results, not just excuses.
So, I'll just throw this out there. When the "Collective" doesn't like a coach, do they just shut the purse strings?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So the coach will fail? Bizarre scenario, but…….hope soon we get players to talk about here.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 4 weeks ago So the coach will fail? Bizarre scenario, but…….hope soon we get players to talk about here.
In 2009 with Baron as coach? You think fans would pay for players back then? Most here wanted him fired.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 weeks ago

I have stayed clear of this topic because I am not really sure how I feel about it. I will tell you this, I am not a fan at all of what the NIL has become. It has nothing to with NIL, it is now a pay for play system. Kids were screwed before when their images were being used without compensation. Supreme Court ruled, correctly, that their image and likeness cannot be used without compensation. How it has gone from that to a pay for play system is extremely disappointing to me and many others. This is the direct result of big boosters paying players and states telling the NCAA to GTFO out of this area. It is a complete cluster.

Now we have NIL budgets to pay the players. As one that has always supported the program financially, I did so because I loved college basketball and I loved Rhody hoops. Part of that was because the players were part of my great college experience. They were there for four and five years and I would see them in classes, playing pick up hoops and at frat parties. They were a part of the culture of the campus, and it was the best four (OK five) years of my life. Now there here today, gone tomorrow, nothing more than hired guns. I have done pretty well financially for myself, but I am really having a hard time deciding what to do going forward. I know Blueman will rant on about this and that, but I may be out going forward. Paying college players basically directly rubs me the wrong way. Call me whatever, do not really care what others think. But let me just say, there are many that feel the same way. Knowing myself, I will probably continue to contribute and support the program financially going forward. But for how long, who knows. It is no longer the game or experience that I fell in love with.
Fantastic post. Reflects my feelings exactly.

Tiz a puzzlement…
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 4 weeks ago

Yes, I do also but still difficult to justify.

Let's face it, they are just paid mercenaries that are probably here for a short-term fix.

Pay-to-play (since that is what it is, not NIL) limits should have been set at realistic levels to create an even playing field.
If that isn't good enough for these players, then they have the opportunity to go in a different direction.

What doesn't make any sense is that these players get compensated by the fans who have no skin in the whole NIL process.

This whole crazy situation is definitely hard to wrap our heads around, especially for us old-timers.
Last edited by Jersey77 4 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 weeks ago

So, I'll just throw this out there. When the "Collective" doesn't like a coach, do they just shut the purse strings?
Maybe, good point.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey, it wouldn’t surprise me. Very, very little of what happens in college sports surprises me anymore.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Vault’s favorite team seems to be falling apart
Earl Timberlake the latest to portal from Bryant
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago Rhody Vault’s favorite team seems to be falling apart
He'll find a way to blame it on Archie.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 4 weeks ago So, I'll just throw this out there. When the "Collective" doesn't like a coach, do they just shut the purse strings?
No, that's the type of move only the big time boosters can really pull off. Just like they always have.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The disaster in Smithfield continues……

Poor Rhody Vault

Have to Hope it’s April Fools
IMG_2977.png
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago Rhody Vault’s favorite team seems to be falling apart
Geesh, it feels like we were recruiting Timberlake about 10 years ago.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I really wish we would stop with the whole "mercenary" thing. And I hope that any players or recruits that might read this board understand that not all Rhode Island fans despise college basketball players as much as it may seem from reading posts here.
3 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

It’s not the players. It’s the system. Hopefully some adjustments will be made down the road .
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rammgr wrote: 4 weeks ago It’s not the players. It’s the system. Hopefully some adjustments will be made down the road .
Exactly, I agree. Which is why I think taking shots at players and calling them mercenaries is uncalled for. They are simply doing exactly what everyone else would do if they were in the same situation.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I really wish we would stop with the whole "mercenary" thing. And I hope that any players or recruits that might read this board understand that not all Rhode Island fans despise college basketball players as much as it may seem from reading posts here.
Really, nobody despises the players, we all root for them.
It is the current system that is the problem, not the players, and don't blame them at all.

Besides, seriously doubt that these players being recruited, will base their decisions on these boards.

Fans here vent a little, especially when we have been losing for so long.
No need to take every word posted here so literally.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago I really wish we would stop with the whole "mercenary" thing. And I hope that any players or recruits that might read this board understand that not all Rhode Island fans despise college basketball players as much as it may seem from reading posts here.
It is the current system that is the problem, not the players, and don't blame them at all.

Besides, seriously doubt that these players being recruited, will base their decisions on these boards.

I agree that the current system is the problem and I doubt it's going to be sustainable long term. And of course nothing wrong with venting here a little, we all do it, myself included. Just something about the continued use of the "mercenary" thing that rubs me the wrong way. Taking a shot at a players ethics because the people in charge of the system screwed up doesn't seem fair to me.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I agree that the current system is the problem and I doubt it's going to be sustainable long term. And of course nothing wrong with venting here a little, we all do it, myself included. Just something about the continued use of the "mercenary" thing that rubs me the wrong way. Taking a shot at a players ethics because the people in charge of the system screwed up doesn't seem fair to me.
Okay is "free agents" a more acceptable term?
Just teasing. ;)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Okay is "free agents" a more acceptable term?
Just teasing. ;)
I know you were kidding, but to answer anyway, yeah it is! :D

To me, if anyone in this scenario are paid mercenaries its the NCAA and their execs, sponsors, etc., the conferences, the networks and some of the big time school presidents. They are the ones mostly acting out of greed and putting money over ethics. The players are just operating within the terrible system that was created for them.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I hope Duane reaches out to this PG from NJ with 2 years eligibility.
An example of a solid player from P5 that would be transferring down.
He played well on a very good Nebraska that finished 3rd in the B10.
He was a very popular and well-liked player by the Husker fans.

He has good size playing the point and can stretch it.
He would be a solid impact player at our level.

4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago

There definitely is. From what I know, there aren't a lot of basketball players offered 100k+ NIL deals. Very few at least. Especially from football schools. Having a 50k to 100k budget should allow us to be competitive enough.

I think there are more 100k players than you think. And not just from the P6.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago The disaster in Smithfield continues……

Poor Rhody Vault

Have to Hope it’s April Fools

IMG_2977.png
I'll take Timberlake
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bryant’s Roster
Blue have entered Portal
Red were 5th year players

Basically starting over. Phil Martelli Jr with work to do including consoling Rhody Vault :(

IMG_2982.jpeg
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago Bryant’s Roster
Blue have entered Portal

Basically starting over. Phil Martelli Jr with work to do including consoling Rhody Vault :(

IMG_2982.jpeg
Excited to hear how it’s not his fault, this is the new world of college athletics, he came into an unfair situation and has to rebuild it himself…yada yada.

But Archie should’ve had this thing humming from day 1! If only he had given Vault the access he demanded (and staked his reputation on Tre Mitchell coming here in a now deleted tweet) maybe things would be different!
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Martelli did an excellent job too. I’d figure new rules will be implemented asap on this circus scene.
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ramster wrote: 4 weeks ago Bryant’s Roster
Blue have entered Portal

IMG_2982.jpeg

putting RV aside..

how anyone at the NCAA thinks this is good for the sport is absolutely nuts

ruined the sport - now FIX it

what a sham and a shame
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Oh no, how will we ever recover?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Yeah, he's a walk-on and it's not a big deal. But he came here because of Kenny. That's a big deal. The writing is on the wall.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Yeah, he's a walk-on and it's not a big deal. But he came here because of Kenny. That's a big deal. The writing is on the wall.
That is not true. He credited Austin Carroll for his recruitment to URI as preferred Walk-on. IDK where you got that KJ thing. If you go on his twitter is specifically has that posted as thanking Austin Carroll. If he came to URI for KJ why did he not reference or credit KJ instead of Austin Carroll?

4 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

David Coit 5’11 bucket getter out of Northern Illinois has been contacted by the staff, averaged 20 ppg on 40/33 shooting.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will really know the writing's on the wall when or if Hammond enters the portal.

This stealth mode plus the footdragging about KJ is just more frustration surrounding this program.

Same for the collective announcement, whatever it is.
1 x