'21 SG / SF Zek Montgomery (Bradley —> URI —> Bradley)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '21 SG / SF Zek Montgomery (Bradley —> URI)

Unread post by bigappleram »

1. Casual fans opinion about roster/players is of the least value...win and they are engaged, lose and they go away.
2. I was talking about Zek Montgomery, from Bradley. Not Luis Kortright from Quinnipiac.
3. Casual fans should at least pay attention to the proper name/school of the player they are questioning.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago
Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago

I'm glad you think he'll be good (seriously). I still think Casual Fan is not going to be enthusiastic or hopeful over a player who couldn't hit double digi for QU of the MAAC being "one of our best players"
Casual Fan won’t know his old stats. He only cares about the games he’s watching or just watched.
I don't know about that...I think at first mention of a transfer, CF (if interested at this point in time) has two questions: Points, assists, rebounds? And, Where did he play?

ETA....Casual Fan doesn't care about PER or other calculated efficiency effectiveness pretend stats ...
I don't think casual fan cares either way right now.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m thinking it’s a battle between Zek and House to lead us in scoring and both should be in the top 2
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago 1. Casual fans opinion about roster/players is of the least value...win and they are engaged, lose and they go away.
2. I was talking about Zek Montgomery, from Bradley. Not Luis Kortright from Quinnipiac.
3. Casual fans should at least pay attention to the proper name/school of the player they are questioning.
1. Casual Fans' opinions do matter, if only for entertainment value if nothing else. Expert hardcore opinion gets très ennuyeux..."Win, the CFs are engaged, lose, they go away", unless they're just bored and have time on their hands, in which case, they should be encouraged to hang around, not told their opinions matter not :lol: Regardless...half a season or quarter season, or month or a week (or offseason) of Casual Fan is better than no season at all.

2. There's that.

3. And, yes, there's also that. Would be nice, but can't really expect that because....casual fan.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

“Casual Fan”

Lol seriously, so good.

Ha ha ha.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does Casual Fan have season tickets? Or take it one game at a time?

How does Casual Fan feel about NIL?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Casual fan is not reading any of these posts.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Does the casual fan check this web site 8-10 times a day hoping to see who the last scholarship is going to?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 11 months ago “Casual Fan”

Lol seriously, so good.

Ha ha ha.
Casual Fan has had me laughing several times today.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 11 months ago “Casual Fan”

Lol seriously, so good.

Ha ha ha.
Casual Fan has had me laughing several times today.
Seriously I’m still chuckling ha ha ha…

I had a player on one of the teams I coached I labeled “Captain Casual”

Casual Fan is better.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 11 months ago Does the casual fan check this web site 8-10 times a day hoping to see who the last scholarship is going to?
Not sure. But if he did, he would want to know, 'how many points/assists/rebounds?" and, "who did he play for?"...I think....
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The casual fan has no idea who is even on the team until he shows up on game day, and learns the starters' names about 5 mins into the game, IF we put their names on the back of their jerseys. Sits in the endzone. Instantly becomes our best rebounder's biggest fan, screams at players to play defense, every stop of the other team is a moral victory, and demands X amt of three point attempts from our players on offense, willing them to make each one. Throws his hands up and waves his fingers when the other team is at the free throw line. He's basically there for a weekend game, has a slice of pizza, has a big Al Bundy sized dump in the toilet, yells until he is hoarse and if we pull out a close one against a Conference rival, it was a success and feels directly responsible for keeping the season alive, and will probably come back next weekend.

Doesn't even know KeaneyBlue exists.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 11 months ago The casual fan has no idea who is even on the team until he shows up on game day, and learns the starters' names about 5 mins into the game, IF we put their names on the back of their jerseys. Sits in the endzone. Instantly becomes our best rebounder's biggest fan, screams at players to play defense, every stop of the other team is a moral victory, and demands X amt of three point attempts from our players on offense, willing them to make each one. Throws his hands up and waves his fingers when the other team is at the free throw line. He's basically there for a weekend game, has a slice of pizza, has a big Al Bundy sized dump in the toilet, yells until he is hoarse and if we pull out a close one against a Conference rival, it was a success and feels directly responsible for keeping the season alive, and will probably come back next weekend.

Doesn't even know KeaneyBlue exists.
LO bleeping L! Slice o' pizza - at the Ry? Bundy sized dump - at the Ry??? Are you kidding me? People really partake of such things? (Crazy world...)
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rod used to say, they were just looking for a warm place to go in the winter with working toilets. lol
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 11 months ago Does the casual fan check this web site 8-10 times a day hoping to see who the last scholarship is going to?
Not sure. But if he did, he would want to know, 'how many points/assists/rebounds?" and, "who did he play for?"...I think....
He’s not Casual Fan then. My wife is Casual Fan in the sense she pays little attention to the off-season except with coaching changes and starting player transfers. She’s aware of KB only because I read it. ASFAIK her dumps aren’t Al Bundy sized.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

This thread is starting to stink.

:lol:
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's usually brought up on the attendance thread each year, but - Fans / crowds tend to act way more logically than we give them credit. If the team is bad, then you might be able to goose the attendance slightly with giveaways and promotions, but people are still going to stay away. Likewise, I ultimately don't think it matters if URI lands one or two Top 100 guys, vs. one or two unranked prospects. I think we'd need to have something like a Top 25 incoming class, as noted by ESPN, and probably more realistically like a Top 5 class in the nation, for it to really have an effect on attendance.

Given how we finished 2022-23, and the "curiosity" factor of the transition from Cox to Miller is now over, I suspect the attendance for our first 3 to 5 home games is going to be lower this year than last year. From there, it probably depends on our record at that point, how strong ticket sales are the rest of the year.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago
He’s not Casual Fan then. My wife is Casual Fan in the sense she pays little attention to the off-season except with coaching changes and starting player transfers. She’s aware of KB only because I read it. ASFAIK her dumps aren’t Al Bundy sized.
Chances are, if they were, you'd have had to deal with one by now...
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Already posted in the general thread, but updating this one too.

0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '21 SG / SF Zek Montgomery (Bradley —> URI —> ??? )

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Casual Fan doesn't care
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 weeks ago Casual Fan doesn't care
Well...he did when he picked him to win the team scoring contest...but he can go now, it's fine
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Isn’t this a positive by subtraction. ?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

McRam wrote: 4 weeks ago Isn’t this a positive by subtraction. ?
+1000 - something seemed "off" with Zek, he clearly has a ton of ability but way to often he just seemed like he didn't care and didn't want to be out there. His complete lack of effort at times was both maddening and frustrating. I don't fault Archie (or whoever was responsible for bringing him here) b/c the program is in a position where it needs to take risks on guys like Zek and hope to maximize his talents. That clearly didn't happen here and the St Lou game was his way of saying he doesn't want to be here. The guy looks like Tarzan and played like Jane, next..
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 weeks ago
McRam wrote: 4 weeks ago Isn’t this a positive by subtraction. ?
+1000 - something seemed "off" with Zek, he clearly has a ton of ability but way to often he just seemed like he didn't care and didn't want to be out there. His complete lack of effort at times was both maddening and frustrating. I don't fault Archie (or whoever was responsible for bringing him here) b/c the program is in a position where it needs to take risks on guys like Zek and hope to maximize his talents. That clearly didn't happen here and the St Lou game was his way of saying he doesn't want to be here. The guy looks like Tarzan and played like Jane, next..
I wouldn’t even call Zek a risk.

The Mitchell twins were the definition of a risk.

Zek improved his two years at Bradley including winning 6th man of the year.

Natural progression would lead one to think he’d make an even bigger jump his junior year, able to make a significant contribution in the A10.

That didn’t happen, so odds are he drops back down a level.
0 x
Go Rhody
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Just saw that he's returning to Bradley...
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Let’s move on. I won’t miss him.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I think it was discussed in one of the more general recruiting threads, but yeah, I'll put it here too.

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RJRam wrote: 2 weeks ago Let’s move on. I won’t miss him.
Bradley is a good program and is in a good conference for him. He should have stayed. Jumping from program to program isn’t always best for playing time and fit.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Bradley is a good program and is in a good conference for him. He should have stayed. Jumping from program to program isn’t always best for playing time and fit.
I wonder if this has happened before ? Guy plays for a school plays for different school then goes back to original school ?
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago
I wonder if this has happened before ? Guy plays for a school plays for different school then goes back to original school ?
Many times, Trilly Donnovan calls it a Marfo because Kevin Marfo was the first to do it when he transferred from Quinnipiac to Texas A&M then back to Quinnipiac.

There’s been a few already this offseason
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: '21 SG / SF Zek Montgomery (Bradley —> URI —> Bradley)

I was wondering myself as I didn’t know. Good stuff, 22. Thanks 👍🏼
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago
reef wrote: 2 weeks ago

Many times, Trilly Donnovan calls it a Marfo because Kevin Marfo was the first to do it when he transferred from Quinnipiac to Texas A&M then back to Quinnipiac.

There’s been a few already this offseason
Cool thanks , I would thought so with the new age free agency of college hoops
0 x