Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Losing Zek and Weston kind of sucks, as I was hoping one would stay, but we should be able to find players of their caliber in the portal. The question is, can we get better players than these two? If Fuchs, Farrell,Hammond, House, Cam, and Luis are sticking around, we should focus on landing a starting-level wing and another big. Although, looking at that Rhody Excellence tweet the other day, I am concerned that House wasn't there. I hope he sticks around. If we lose House, we have a massive hole in the scoring department. Honestly, losing Zek hurts our scoring ability as well. At least we know he would randomly go off. And he should keep improving...

We have said it a million times already, but this is a massive, massive offseason for Archie.
Zek was there and he's now gone.

I wouldn't look too much into who was/wasn't at that event.
Zek was also very close with KJ, so who knows what else may be going on.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago Didn’t break a sweat last half of season. Adios.
bye !!!

thank goodness
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

spar wrote: 1 month ago
Well said. Nothing against the guy, but he never quite seemed like he was giving full effort. Zero "fire" it seemed. And his performance at the end of the St. Louis game in the tourney solidified it for me. We can do better.
It was like, once he had a bad game and hurt his shoulder he just couldn't get out of his head.

He'll put it all together back at Bradley I'm sure lol
2 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
spar wrote: 1 month ago
Well said. Nothing against the guy, but he never quite seemed like he was giving full effort. Zero "fire" it seemed. And his performance at the end of the St. Louis game in the tourney solidified it for me. We can do better.
It was like, once he had a bad game and hurt his shoulder he just couldn't get out of his head.

He'll put it all together back at Bradley I'm sure lol
Yeah probably, haha. But having a guy that "shows flashes" is not going to help us. We need a guy that consistently contributes, not one that disappears for MONTHS of the season. Hurt or not, he could've contributed in other ways when his number was called and he didn't.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Thats too bad on Zek, he obviously had a rough season, but I still thought there was some potential there. This is one where I'd be real curious to know which side initiated it.
I usually consider myself annoyingly logical about hoops, but there is something about watching Montgomery and Weston that is just so frustrating to me. Like, Montgomery had eight games of 10+ points to start the year, then five more in the remaining 23 games. He had 18 against Northwestern, 19 against Washington State and 14 against Yale, so it's not a matter of him only beating up on bad teams. He had 30 against G.W., then averaged 8 PPG in the final eight games after that. You just didn't ever know what you were going to get from night to night, and that's fine if he's a bench guy, but you probably can't feel comfortable penciling him into the starting lineup on a good team as a result.
Couldn't agree more with this...and if either of them came back they were going to command minutes at the 3 which based on their inconsistent level of play was going to lower our ceiling. I held out slightly more hope that Zek could put it all together but if he does it will be elsewhere. Pretty sure Weston is just going to be that type of player his whole career. Something missing.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah hopefully upgrades are going to replace Zek and BW

So many players in the portal , Arch needs to hit it out of the park
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago

Ok, maybe we could send scouts, via drones, to various prison recreation yards also.
Don't give anyone any ideas...
Well, they are in there for their offense, maybe they learned some defense as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Probably one of the most hysterical comments ever. Thank you, blueram.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

And another one’s gone another one’s gone
Another one bites the dust
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 month ago Yeah hopefully upgrades are going to replace Zek and BW

So many players in the portal , Arch needs to hit it out of the park
I'll take a combo of both. Fuse them! Lol
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Thats too bad on Zek, he obviously had a rough season, but I still thought there was some potential there. This is one where I'd be real curious to know which side initiated it.
I usually consider myself annoyingly logical about hoops, but there is something about watching Montgomery and Weston that is just so frustrating to me. Like, Montgomery had eight games of 10+ points to start the year, then five more in the remaining 23 games. He had 18 against Northwestern, 19 against Washington State and 14 against Yale, so it's not a matter of him only beating up on bad teams. He had 30 against G.W., then averaged 8 PPG in the final eight games after that. You just didn't ever know what you were going to get from night to night, and that's fine if he's a bench guy, but you probably can't feel comfortable penciling him into the starting lineup on a good team as a result.
I'm not broken up about this, especially when you combine the above points with his lazy passes, resulting in easy fast break buckets, along with a complete lack of effort on defense...
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

Time to stop posting for a while.

My god man, you do yourself no favors with a lot of your posts in regards to your basketball knowledge.
Some might enjoy if you stopped posting for a while.
Hey thanks for your two cents!

At least I know what I’m talking about and don’t think Archie and co should go scout local Rhode Island men’s leagues for players.
The problem with you 15, is you take everything you read on the internet as literal. Then you puff your chest in self ego and say at least I know what I'm talking about. The problem is, and clearly you don't get it yet, is that not everything posted on the internet is truth or a statement of truth. Some people post innuendos. Some people post comical diatribes. Some people just rant away because they can. But fuck, at least you know what you are talking about.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How much any one players loss is felt is determined by who replaces them.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

All I will say is timing is key to this transfer 😉
6 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Dino611 wrote: 1 month ago All I will say is timing is key to this transfer 😉
I hope that means we have someone good coming in!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yeah dude was a stud at the beginning of the year. Only got it back for once game. Weirdest thing ever.

Thought that he could maybe get it together in the offseason and redeem himself next year.

Which he will probably do somewhere else lol
He was a stud against lesser competition, once the quality of the opposing competition increased. his stats suffered. To a lesser degree you also see that in House's stats. House has impressive moves to the basket, but tougher competition thwarts that and we are left with the fact that he is meh on FT shooting and beyond the arc. And increased pressure brings even worse performance.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m intrigued…
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 month ago
Yeah dude was a stud at the beginning of the year. Only got it back for once game. Weirdest thing ever.

Thought that he could maybe get it together in the offseason and redeem himself next year.

He was a stud against lesser competition, once the quality of the opposing competition increased. his stats suffered. To a lesser degree you also see that in House's stats. House has impressive moves to the basket, but tougher competition thwarts that and we are left with the fact that he is meh on FT shooting and beyond the arc. And increased pressure brings even worse performance.
Same happened with Foumena. One of the gambles with taking guys from lower conferences.
1 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think House was decent for the most part. I agree that Fou and Zek both had much better games against lower competition.

House had some good games against strong teams..
PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 weeks ago

I think House was decent for the most part. I agree that Fou and Zek both had much better games against lower competition.

PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
For me, I feel that Fou was the bigger loss.
He has great size, athleticism, and we saw flashes that the talent and upside were there, but he was still raw.
Remember this was just his first season of Div.1 competition, I am disappointed he left.
I felt he deserved more minutes and it became apparent at the end he wasn't going to stay.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago

PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
He has great size, athleticism, and we saw flashes that the talent and upside were there, but he was still raw.
Remember this was just his first season of Div.1 competition, I am disappointed he left.
I felt he deserved more minutes and it became apparent at the end he wasn't going to stay.
Yeah, Fou has talent. But he had an entire season with our team to develop and work on his game, and he still looked incredibly raw. He wasn't a typical freshman, and he did have issues against A10 bigs. I think Fuchs is the better player and will only get better. But ya most of us wanted Fou to play more. It was a dumb decision by Archie. Let's hope he doesn't make the same mistakes moving forward.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Skinn and Mason just picked up a rim protector and impactful big.
He looks like a good addition, I am a little jealous.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
Yeah, Fou has talent. But he had an entire season with our team to develop and work on his game, and he still looked incredibly raw. He wasn't a typical freshman, and he did have issues against A10 bigs. I think Fuchs is the better player and will only get better. But ya most of us wanted Fou to play more. It was a dumb decision by Archie. Let's hope he doesn't make the same mistakes moving forward.
Yeah, Fuchs had a much better season.
But I would have liked to keep both, we still are going to need more depth upfront.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
I’m intrigued…
Get us a player soon !
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
Fou did fine when he was allowed to play against the A-10
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He was a stud against some of the best teams we played all year.

Best player from CCSU through Yale. Then PC he started turning it over...then basically sucked the entire rest of the year except for that GW game. Was still scoring against PC better than he did in 99% of the conference games.

Idk what, but it seemed like once he started turning the ball over he lost all confidence in himself along with his shoulder hurting from early December on.

Biggest disappearing act in Rhody history?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

For what it's worth

KJ has started following former Pitt center Federiko Federiko

Crazy name alone I think he's a natural fit 🥰
3 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago For what it's worth

Did you see his FT %? Foumena percentages 😂 so he would be a natural fit for our team. Definitely has the size we need.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For what school?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 weeks ago

For what school?
Probably us

Dude got benched at Pitt. Don't know if G-Town would be in on someone like that. I've seen him play a few times though, I think is pretty dumb good. Definitely good for A10.

But ya know, maybe Federiko Federiko and KJ just met at a bar and are just bffs
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Link to his Sports Reference page:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... iko-1.html

His blocks per 40 would have easily been best on our team last year, excluding Bilau, although his rebounding was slightly worse than Fuchs, Foumena and Brown. (Still in their ballpark though, as opposed to like an Abdou Samb type.) Zero 3PA, 65 percent from the field and 53 percent from the line for his career suggest he's a bruiser type.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 weeks ago Skinn and Mason just picked up a rim protector and impactful big.
He looks like a good addition, I am a little jealous.

would have loved to see him in a Rhody uniform!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago

For what school?
Probably us

Dude got benched at Pitt. Don't know if G-Town would be in on someone like that. I've seen him play a few times though, I think is pretty dumb good. Definitely good for A10.

From what I'm reading, he's from Finland. His brother will be a freshman at South Carolina this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Meaning what?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Meaning what?
Time will show in the next week or so
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Meaning what?
Yes, I imagine we will be getting some commits soon.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Meaning what?
Any hints?
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
Yeah, not sure why others are putting House in the same category. I think he was our best player by far last season. If he doesn’t come back, we have a gaping hole.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 4 weeks ago

Meaning what?
Any hints?
I think he's just saying we probably have a commitment soon based on our history after losing a key player like Zek. I don't think there are any specific names besides the players we have already been connected with. You can also keep an eye on the coaches and who they follow. Last year, KJ and Duane would follow a recruit, and then they would end up committing or at least put us on their final list. I would assume we get our first commit pretty soon.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Chris Manon, who we reached out to, is visiting Richmond today.

0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 weeks ago

PC - 18 PTS
Dayton - 27 pts
Umass - 29 and 22 pts
Duquesnse - 17 pts
Loyola - 15 pts
Yeah, not sure why others are putting House in the same category. I think he was our best player by far last season. If he doesn’t come back, we have a gaping hole.
During physical play House could still hang while most of our guards struggled.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 weeks ago

For what school?
Probably us

From what I'm reading, he's from Finland. His brother will be a freshman at South Carolina this year.
Yeah I've seen him play at Pitt a few times

Athletic, but fairly skinny, wiry strong 6'11 guy.

Watched him play for Finland this past summer. He would be the kind of dude we want. But who knows.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Hope it’s jyare Davis (Delaware) or Jake Davis (Mercer)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Any hints?
I think he's just saying we probably have a commitment soon based on our history after losing a key player like Zek. I don't think there are any specific names besides the players we have already been connected with. You can also keep an eye on the coaches and who they follow. Last year, KJ and Duane would follow a recruit, and then they would end up committing or at least put us on their final list. I would assume we get our first commit pretty soon.
So, putting two and two together, does this mean that Zek was recruited over by whoever is coming in?
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Hope it’s jyare Davis (Delaware) or Jake Davis (Mercer)
I think Jake Davis is an Illinois lean from what I’ve heard
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Any hints?
So, putting two and two together, does this mean that Zek was recruited over by whoever is coming in?
Good point, that was kind of weird timing for that Zek entry. Maybe a commitment soon?

Unrelated but some transfers count twitter follows as interest, even if the coach just didn’t message them at all.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 4 weeks ago

Good point, that was kind of weird timing for that Zek entry. Maybe a commitment soon?

Unrelated but some transfers count twitter follows as interest, even if the coach just didn’t message them at all.
Thanks for that tid-bit, 22. I never would have known that about transfers and Twitter. 👍🏼
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Any hints?
Well we are offering more $$ than we have in the last two years. So you would think we could land better players on that alone. I think Zek left because of his role. He went from a focal point clear starter to a likely backup role. If I was him I wouldn't want to stick around and do that my final year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

To me Zek has a similar game as DG but smaller. Thus, the back up role.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

so running total, we have 7 total players from the 23/24 roster to enter the portal? is that # correct?
0 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 weeks ago so running total, we have 7 total players from the 23/24 roster to enter the portal? is that # correct?
Yes, but 6 that are on scholarship.
0 x