Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago

Can't compete with most of those teams financially.
Well, the hope is we can compete with more teams financially this offseason. We also have to factor in what he said he’s looking for. He wants to be a starting point guard.

I haven’t kept up to date if any of these guys transferred…

Georgia Tech - They had a very good freshman point guard in Naithan George. No chance he’d start over him.

Syracuse - They have a very good backcourt of Mintz and Starling.

V Tech - I don’t know how he would start over Pedulla.

Cal - They have an absolute stud in Tyson who has the ball in his hands a lot, but I could see him playing next to a point guard.

I think we can compete with the rest. If we put him at the top of our list, who knows? He would be our starting point and one of the focal points of this team the moment he comes here. I really hope he considers us. He’s one of those crucial transfers that can make this team better. Archie has to land one or two players of this caliber if we want to make a jump next year.

Also, can we just find out about KJ and Hammond already! I’m assuming Hammond is gone based on who we’ve been offering but I’m still hoping he’s a Ram…
Agreed Studs.

That said I'm getting less and less worried about Hammond leaving. If, IF KJ does go to GTown (and that is now questionable due to the BS that goes on behind the scenes down there), I'm not sure Hammond follows him. He's guaranteed 2 years of bench riding behind Epps who plays 35 mpg.

I think Hammond is a stud, I think he's going to be a very good PG. But he's still a 5'11 3 star. If he decommits I'd be shocked if he wound up at GT or anywhere above the A10 - unless he's OK just sitting on the bench. He's guaranteed minutes right away here.
Hmm...we had another 5'11'' (listed) point guard in the late 90s that worked out pretty well....
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hope Blue Man is right about Hammond.

Archie has said that he's one of the best recruits he's ever got.

I think we all need to stop pissing at each other about where we are as a program right now and how we got here.

All that matters is where we go from here. The last 2 years are history, let's look forward and hope for the best.

Archie and his players will ultimately be judged by what happens in the next year or 2.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I hope Blue Man is right about Hammond.

I think we all need to stop pissing at each other about where we are as a program right now and how we got here.

All that matters is where we go from here. The last 2 years are history, let's look forward and hope for the best.

Archie and his players will ultimately be judged by what happens in the next year or 2.
Agreed with this, we can whine all we want about the past 6 years, but it's not helpful. We need to move forward. Miller is the coach right now and his next 2 years will determine how much longer he will be.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago I hope Blue Man is right about Hammond.

Agreed with this, we can whine all we want about the past 6 years, but it's not helpful. We need to move forward. Miller is the coach right now and his next 2 years will determine how much longer he will be.
Sounds like you both just checked out and were released from Rhody Rehab. Nice work guys! No replapases.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Can't compete with most of those teams financially.
Well, the hope is we can compete with more teams financially this offseason. We also have to factor in what he said he’s looking for. He wants to be a starting point guard.

Georgia Tech - They had a very good freshman point guard in Naithan George. No chance he’d start over him.

Cal - They have an absolute stud in Tyson who has the ball in his hands a lot, but I could see him playing next to a point guard.

I think we can compete with the rest. If we put him at the top of our list, who knows? He would be our starting point and one of the focal points of this team the moment he comes here. I really hope he considers us. He’s one of those crucial transfers that can make this team better. Archie has to land one or two players of this caliber if we want to make a jump next year.

Also, can we just find out about KJ and Hammond already! I’m assuming Hammond is gone based on who we’ve been offering but I’m still hoping he’s a Ram…
Agreed Studs.

That said I'm getting less and less worried about Hammond leaving. If, IF KJ does go to GTown (and that is now questionable due to the BS that goes on behind the scenes down there), I'm not sure Hammond follows him. He's guaranteed 2 years of bench riding behind Epps who plays 35 mpg.

I think Hammond is a stud, I think he's going to be a very good PG. But he's still a 5'11 3 star. If he decommits I'd be shocked if he wound up at GT or anywhere above the A10 - unless he's OK just sitting on the bench. He's guaranteed minutes right away here.

V tech could definitely use a guard now…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
Thanks for the update, Jersey. 👍🏼
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Agreed Studs.

Hmm...we had another 5'11'' (listed) point guard in the late 90s that worked out pretty well....
Exactly. My point about Hammond is that those are the guys who excel at this level.

Those measurables aren’t usually desirable in a freshman at a P5 level.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The guy Hammond is compared to is Michigan star Dug McDaniel (who is in the portal, btw). Same size and also a graduate of PAUL VI. If Hammond doesn't come here, I don't think we lose him to Georgetown, I think we lose him to George Mason because of this guy. https://gomason.com/staff-directory/lamar-butler/498
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago The guy Hammond is compared to is Michigan star Dug McDaniel (who is in the portal, btw). Same size and also a graduate of PAUL VI. If Hammond doesn't come here, I don't think we lose him to Georgetown, I think we lose him to George Mason because of this guy. https://gomason.com/staff-directory/lamar-butler/498
78, I am not clicking on the link you posted above. I am sensing bad juju.

Time to head back to Rhody Rehab. Yikes!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago The guy Hammond is compared to is Michigan star Dug McDaniel (who is in the portal, btw). Same size and also a graduate of PAUL VI. If Hammond doesn't come here, I don't think we lose him to Georgetown, I think we lose him to George Mason because of this guy. https://gomason.com/staff-directory/lamar-butler/498
78, I am not clicking on the link you posted above. I am sensing bad juju.

Time to head back to Rhody Rehab. Yikes!
One of Ben's former coaches, Lamar Butler, who was a coach at both Paul VI and Team Takeover, is now the Director of Player Development at GMU. If you remember, Butler was a star on that GMU team that made a deep run about 20 years ago.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Spot on. Dug is his mentor. It will come down to playing time and NIL dollars. My guest on my podcast talks about Dug.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Good lord if he comes back
Why would he do that? This year's NBA draft class sucks. He will likely go in the top 15. If he sticks around and goes next year, which is projected to be a much deeper class, it will hurt his chances of being a top 10 pick. But maybe he will get a bunch of $$ to stay. I don't see how his stock gets any higher. He was incredible this year. If anything he will regress I bet.
He must be getting an offer of a hell of an NIL deal to even consider staying.
NBA Draft has Carter going #12 in the 1st round
82 regular season games in NBA vs 31 in college regular season

IMG_2889.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

A little surprised he is leaving Richmond.

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

https://www.woonsocketcall.com/sports/h ... a35d5.html

For all the fear mongering this new article that specifically talks about Hammond playing for Archie and how important that is because of Archie’s pedigree as a short PG.

Maybe everything isn’t as bad as this board says it is and maybe all the other basketball coaches who support Archie might know more than the brain trust here.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Its Blue Man again raging against the dying of the light.

Just kidding bro keep on keeping on....
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Its Blue Man again raging against the dying of the light.

Just kidding bro keep on keeping on....
It’s worked before!
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why is the focus just on high school players and college kids in the portal? Do any coaches go to men's leagues and see who is playing? I bet you could find some dudes who are 21 and balling, but just weren't interested in school or college a few years ago. With NIL, you could get some street players in for sure.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago Why is the focus just on high school players and college kids in the portal? Do any coaches go to men's leagues and see who is playing? I bet you could find some dudes who are 21 and balling, but just weren't interested in school or college a few years ago. With NIL, you could get some street players in for sure.
Seriously? Luv ya Blueram, but come on man…..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
theblueram wrote: 1 month ago Why is the focus just on high school players and college kids in the portal? Do any coaches go to men's leagues and see who is playing? I bet you could find some dudes who are 21 and balling, but just weren't interested in school or college a few years ago. With NIL, you could get some street players in for sure.
Compared to the last two years of players, just a suggestion. Thinking outside the box. Tired of leaving in the first half of games.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Agreed Studs.

Exactly. My point about Hammond is that those are the guys who excel at this level.

Yeah you just don't see PG's his size at the power conference level.

Zakai Zeigler at Tennessee is the only one I can think of.

I can see similar qualities in Hammond. His decision making is just elite and so is his athleticism. Def gotta work on his shooting I believe.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
Compared to the last two years of players, just a suggestion. Thinking outside the box. Tired of leaving in the first half of games.
Ok, maybe we could send scouts, via drones, to various prison recreation yards also.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

I can see similar qualities in Hammond. His decision making is just elite and so is his athleticism. Def gotta work on his shooting I believe.
I just mentioned Dug McDaniel, star at Michigan and same size as Ben.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ok, maybe we could send scouts, via drones, to various prison recreation yards also.
Don't give anyone any ideas...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

Don't give anyone any ideas...
Well, they are in there for their offense, maybe they learned some defense as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I can think of Markquis Nowell at K-State a year ago and he was about 5'8".
He was an All-American and All-B12 in 2023.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You dont have to be 6 feet or taller to be a great PG in college.

Many examples.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago https://www.woonsocketcall.com/sports/h ... a35d5.html

For all the fear mongering this new article that specifically talks about Hammond playing for Archie and how important that is because of Archie’s pedigree as a short PG.

Maybe everything isn’t as bad as this board says it is and maybe all the other basketball coaches who support Archie might know more than the brain trust here.
Great article ! Give Ben the keys day 1 @ Rhody !
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Time to stop posting for a while.

My god man, you do yourself no favors with a lot of your posts in regards to your basketball knowledge.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My god man, you do yourself no favors with a lot of your posts in regards to your basketball knowledge.
Some might enjoy if you stopped posting for a while.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Some might enjoy if you stopped posting for a while.
Hey thanks for your two cents!

At least I know what I’m talking about and don’t think Archie and co should go scout local Rhode Island men’s leagues for players.
0 x
Go Rhody
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

Fairfield has four g's in portal. Stags have beautiful new (small) arena perfect for a school of their size. I guess it didn't matter.
Hope AMiller is giving Jalen Leach a call. I think 6'4 Nyack native could do some nice work here.
0 x
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

Fairfield has four g's in portal. Stags have beautiful new (small) arena perfect for a school of their size. I guess it didn't matter.
Hope AMiller is giving Jalen Leach a call. I think 6'4 Nyack native could do some nice work here. Kind of FG percentages I like to see : 48.8 35.4 89.5
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I wish Dune Club but he’s going to a blue blood team and get a nice bag
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DuneClub wrote: 1 month ago Fairfield has four g's in portal. Stags have beautiful new (small) arena perfect for a school of their size. I guess it didn't matter.
Hope AMiller is giving Jalen Leach a call. I think 6'4 Nyack native could do some nice work here. Kind of FG percentages I like to see : 48.8 35.4 89.5
Fairfield had an interim coach that took over in October, pretty much when it was too late for anyone on the roster already to transfer. They play in such a weak conference that people would have transferred anyway, but they're probably going to lose more players anyway because of that coaching situation.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Zek Montgomery in the transfer portal
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thats too bad on Zek, he obviously had a rough season, but I still thought there was some potential there. This is one where I'd be real curious to know which side initiated it.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Thats too bad on Zek, he obviously had a rough season, but I still thought there was some potential there. This is one where I'd be real curious to know which side initiated it.
Yeah dude was a stud at the beginning of the year. Only got it back for once game. Weirdest thing ever.

Thought that he could maybe get it together in the offseason and redeem himself next year.

Which he will probably do somewhere else lol
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Thats too bad on Zek, he obviously had a rough season, but I still thought there was some potential there. This is one where I'd be real curious to know which side initiated it.
Yeah dude was a stud at the beginning of the year. Only got it back for once game. Weirdest thing ever.

Thought that he could maybe get it together in the offseason and redeem himself next year.

Which he will probably do somewhere else lol
Yeah exactly, I think I was holding on to the hope from those early games!
0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Didn’t break a sweat last half of season. Adios.
7 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Looks like Zek is going to go back to Bradley.

Bradley twitter people saying it.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

He didn’t do much on defense. Can’t have that.
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I usually consider myself annoyingly logical about hoops, but there is something about watching Montgomery and Weston that is just so frustrating to me. Like, Montgomery had eight games of 10+ points to start the year, then five more in the remaining 23 games. He had 18 against Northwestern, 19 against Washington State and 14 against Yale, so it's not a matter of him only beating up on bad teams. He had 30 against G.W., then averaged 8 PPG in the final eight games after that. You just didn't ever know what you were going to get from night to night, and that's fine if he's a bench guy, but you probably can't feel comfortable penciling him into the starting lineup on a good team as a result.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
I usually consider myself annoyingly logical about hoops, but there is something about watching Montgomery and Weston that is just so frustrating to me. Like, Montgomery had eight games of 10+ points to start the year, then five more in the remaining 23 games. He had 18 against Northwestern, 19 against Washington State and 14 against Yale, so it's not a matter of him only beating up on bad teams. He had 30 against G.W., then averaged 8 PPG in the final eight games after that. You just didn't ever know what you were going to get from night to night, and that's fine if he's a bench guy, but you probably can't feel comfortable penciling him into the starting lineup on a good team as a result.
I don't think he is a huge loss and only had 1 season left.

I think Zek is very replaceable especially as the season went on.

Archie and the staff will have their work cut out for them in the portal.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Has talent but way too inconsistent and definitely dogged it on defense.
2 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Losing Zek and Weston kind of sucks, as I was hoping one would stay, but we should be able to find players of their caliber in the portal. The question is, can we get better players than these two? If Fuchs, Farrell,Hammond, House, Cam, and Luis are sticking around, we should focus on landing a starting-level wing and another big. Although, looking at that Rhody Excellence tweet the other day, I am concerned that House wasn't there. I hope he sticks around. If we lose House, we have a massive hole in the scoring department. Honestly, losing Zek hurts our scoring ability as well. At least we know he would randomly go off. And he should keep improving...

We have said it a million times already, but this is a massive, massive offseason for Archie.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Losing Zek and Weston kind of sucks, as I was hoping one would stay, but we should be able to find players of their caliber in the portal. The question is, can we get better players than these two? If Fuchs, Farrell,Hammond, House, Cam, and Luis are sticking around, we should focus on landing a starting-level wing and another big. Although, looking at that Rhody Excellence tweet the other day, I am concerned that House wasn't there. I hope he sticks around. If we lose House, we have a massive hole in the scoring department. Honestly, losing Zek hurts our scoring ability as well. At least we know he would randomly go off. And he should keep improving...

We have said it a million times already, but this is a massive, massive offseason for Archie.
Dont forget David Green.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago Losing Zek and Weston kind of sucks, as I was hoping one would stay, but we should be able to find players of their caliber in the portal. The question is, can we get better players than these two? If Fuchs, Farrell,Hammond, House, Cam, and Luis are sticking around, we should focus on landing a starting-level wing and another big. Although, looking at that Rhody Excellence tweet the other day, I am concerned that House wasn't there. I hope he sticks around. If we lose House, we have a massive hole in the scoring department. Honestly, losing Zek hurts our scoring ability as well. At least we know he would randomly go off. And he should keep improving...

Zek was there and he's now gone.

I wouldn't look too much into who was/wasn't at that event.
1 x
Go Rhody
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Spook5365 wrote: 1 month ago Didn’t break a sweat last half of season. Adios.
Well said. Nothing against the guy, but he never quite seemed like he was giving full effort. Zero "fire" it seemed. And his performance at the end of the St. Louis game in the tourney solidified it for me. We can do better.
4 x