Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by SGreenwell »

UMass already has Cohen (28.9 MPG), Davis (13.7 MPG) and Thompson (27.9 MPG) in the transfer portal, and Cross is likely a graduate transfer at this point if he wants to be one. Most of their other players rated out as average or slightly below average A-10 players, so it's not a guarantee that they go to the MAC and just start dominating. Martin is essentially doing a soft rebuild this year, with the team heading into a weaker conference for 2025-26. I know what he's said publicly, but I think he bolts the second he gets a job offer that's equivalent or better than the A-10.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago

How? They have sucked since 96’ even if they just make the tourney 1 in 4 they are better than they have been.
If you don’t win that conference, you’re not relevant, is my point.
I agree with that point - but they have not been relevant for 20 years. They have almost zero fan support as it is. I think it is a good move for UMass. Their only chance at relevancy is to be good in a bad conference.

I think it would be terrible for Rhody who has an actual following (albeit dwindling with every year of suckdom).
All about f'ball and the hockey team is all set, hoops is 3rd tier, no one cares
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Wasn’t sure where to place this so put it here since JMU moved up to Sunbelt Conf (FBS)…

Interesting story in sportico.com/leagues/collegesports regarding student fee’s funding college athletics.

According to the story, James Madison University spent $68 mil on athletics in ‘22-23 and collected $53.3 mil in mandatory student fee’s or $2,362 per student for athletics. The largest amount of any FBS public university. Old Dominion was 2nd and Charlotte, FIU and UCF rounded out the top 5 in 22-23.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Wasn’t sure where to place this so put it here since JMU moved up to Sunbelt Conf (FBS)…

Interesting story in sportico.com/leagues/collegesports regarding student fee’s funding college athletics.

According to the story, James Madison University spent $68 mil on athletics in ‘22-23 and collected $53.3 mil in mandatory student fee’s or $2,362 per student for athletics. The largest amount of any FBS public university. Old Dominion was 2nd and Charlotte, FIU and UCF rounded out the top 5 in 22-23.
Yeah, but how much did they contribute to the NIL fund?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago Wasn’t sure where to place this so put it here since JMU moved up to Sunbelt Conf (FBS)…

This has been an issue in Virginia for over 10 years as it has multiple schools with the highest students fees that go to athletics. The legislature first passed a law limiting the percent of student fees for athletics all the way back in 2015.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2015/03/31/ ... dent-fees/
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago

If you don’t win that conference, you’re not relevant, is my point.
I agree with that point - but they have not been relevant for 20 years. They have almost zero fan support as it is. I think it is a good move for UMass. Their only chance at relevancy is to be good in a bad conference.

I think it would be terrible for Rhody who has an actual following (albeit dwindling with every year of suckdom).
All about f'ball and the hockey team is all set, hoops is 3rd tier, no one cares
Well, Hockey may be the only sport left where the players pay to be on the team, not the other way around.

All of this could turn me into a Hockey fan.
1 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Have not seen this posted here and did send Scott Brand, but understandably he does not visit the site except for posting the podcast. Here is his Gorhody Podcast.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Guys. This is the best place for Rhody News. I just don’t add my comments because I feel they go unanswered for some reason. But I am the guy that joined when I became friends with Sponge.

And I am your biggest promoter.

I say the greatest basketball minds and the most knowledgeable Rhody fans are on this site and it rivals any board in the nation.

So please don’t take it the wrong way.

I spend two hours a day reading these threads.
4 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks for posting this. Maybe I will start participating in some of the discussions. I have a podcast about Jeff Dowtin becoming a 76er and I interviewed a Philly sports columnist going up on Thursday so I will post it.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks Scott, sounds like a good pod on JD
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

It will give you insight of what he is up against as well as how well he is thought of throughout the NBA circles.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Scott definitely puts out good content. I follow him on youtube, facebook and twitter and see his stuff - it's good stuff.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Just read this. Thx. It means a lot to me and Keaney Blue is so powerful in Search Engine Results btw. Whoever built this has a goldmine.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The NEC adds another former D2 school to its membership ranks. Mercyhurst located in Erie, PA set to join along with Chicago State to replace the soon departing Merrimack and Sacred Heart who are going to the MAAC. The league either has and will soon be the first D1 home for former D2 schools such as Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, Bryant, Merrimack, Stonehill, and Lemoyne.

Last edited by RF1 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Wasn’t sure where to put this one.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What’s the application fee? Assume not $0. Add $1 to it for Collective = Boom.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Make it $10 and Boom Boom
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago What’s the application fee? Assume not $0. Add $1 to it for Collective = Boom.
Like many have said the collective is a separate entity from the school. While it speaks with the basketball staff on who (the collective) should be communicating with, they are not one in the same and I think it would probably be illegal to take funds from public university applications and funnel them to a private organization.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

jakepnickers wrote: 3 weeks ago
section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago What’s the application fee? Assume not $0. Add $1 to it for Collective = Boom.
Like many have said the collective is a separate entity from the school. While it speaks with the basketball staff on who (the collective) should be communicating with, they are not one in the same and I think it would probably be illegal to take funds from public university applications and funnel them to a private organization.
Yea, silly me, or more like uniformed me. Thx.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass basketball got listed as one of the biggest losers in recent college football realignment.

https://fbschedules.com/winners-and-los ... alignment/
Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I read an article that said schools are reviewing whether to have Olympic sports or not. The basis was that Football and Basketball programs fund Olympic sports entirely, and the schools question whether they can pay football and basketball players and still fund Olympic sports. I'll try and find it and post it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Conference realignment and the expansion of the power conferences and their league schedules has further reduced OOC games which in turn has once again had an adverse following effect on the Big East. It had already been announced that the league's challenge series with the Big Ten would be ending. Now it appears as if the same fate will happen to the challenge series with the Big-12. This is the loss of typically two big high profile OOC games for Big East teams. PC's only home games in recent years against Power Conference foes has been because of these prearranged challenge series games.

Last edited by RF1 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Trickle down effect. Adapt and overcome. There’s always the early season holiday tourney’s, the MWC, the top half of the A10, WC (namely Gonzaga and SMU).

Welcome to the non-power conference world.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Lets get an A10-Big East challenge going! (yeah I know it'll never happen)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago Conference realignment and the expansion of the power conferences has further reduced OOC games which in turn has once again had an adverse following effect on the Big East. It had already been announced that the league's challenge series with the Big Ten would be ending. Now it appears as if the same fate will happen to the challenge series with the Big-12. This is the loss of typically two big high profile OOC games for Big East teams. PC's only home games in recent years against Power Conference foes has been because of these prearranged challenge series games.

What an absolute shame, my heart just bleeds for that poor conference
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If realignment takes UConn to the Big 12 or ACC then that will be another hard body blow to the NBE.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago If realignment takes UConn to the Big 12 or ACC then that will be another hard body blow to the NBE.
Any hard blow to the BE will have a downstream affect of a hard blow to the A10 - it has happened nearly every single time.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago If realignment takes UConn to the Big 12 or ACC then that will be another hard body blow to the NBE.
Any hard blow to the BE will have a downstream affect of a hard blow to the A10 - it has happened nearly every single time.
Unfortunately, that’s usually the case for the A10, Steviep. The A10 is lower in the pecking order.

Not sure how the A10 avoids it. Although, the A10 needs to be proactive to maximize revenue and NCAAT credits somehow to ride out the storm that is football realignment for as long as possible - 5, 7, 10 years ?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That may not so much be the case. The A-10 was already no longer getting many games with power conferences teams outside of MTE games. The Big East was still getting games from these challenges. That will no longer be the case as the BE will now be treated somewhat similar to the A-10.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago
That may not so much be the case. The A-10 was already no longer getting many games with power conferences teams outside of MTE games. The Big East was still getting games from these challenges. That will no longer be the case as the BE will now be treated somewhat similar to the A-10.
Maybe it will give the A10 schools more of an opportunity to play against the BE.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Maybe it will give the A10 schools more of an opportunity to play against the BE.
Certainly the better and ascending A10 teams, Jersey, I would think: Dayton, VCU, SLU, Rhody ( when Archie can gets us back to relevancy - sooner than later, I hope), and the others if and when they up their game.

Like you aptly posted before, Jersey, the A10 coaches need to up their game. They do that and opportunities will follow, imho.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Maybe it will give A-10 teams an opportunity to schedule ascending and the better teams in lesser conferences, and beat them down by lots and lots of points to help the offense stats?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I read stevie's post differently. I read it as "out goes UConn, in comes Dayton." Meaning that the hit to the A10 is that the A10 loses its best program to the BE.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 weeks ago

I read stevie's post differently. I read it as "out goes UConn, in comes Dayton." Meaning that the hit to the A10 is that the A10 loses its best program to the BE.
That's precisely what I meant. BE loses teams and they go to the A10 to stay afloat. Whether it's Dayton, VCU, or whoever. The teams that left the A10 for the BE could make a decent conference (though not as good as in years past):

Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Va
Va Tech
Rutgers
Temple
Butler
Xavier

The Big East: "The Atlantic 10 sucks"
Also The Big East: "Let's pilfer players, coaches, and teams from the Atlantic 10"
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 weeks ago

That's precisely what I meant. BE loses teams and they go to the A10 to stay afloat. Whether it's Dayton, VCU, or whoever. The teams that left the A10 for the BE could make a decent conference (though not as good as in years past):

Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Va
Va Tech
Rutgers
Temple
Butler
Xavier

The Big East: "The Atlantic 10 sucks"
Also The Big East: "Let's pilfer players, coaches, and teams from the Atlantic 10"
Well Yeah, if the A10 wasn't a top mid-major basketball conference than the BE wouldn't continue to keep poaching it.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The A10 should suck to save the conference from the NBE.

Change in strategy. Somebody needs to clue in the battleaxe. We need to play dead.

:lol:
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

DePaul out and Gonzaga in in the Big East?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 week ago DePaul out and Gonzaga in in the Big East?
Crazy, nothing says Big East like he Zags.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 week ago DePaul out and Gonzaga in in the Big East?
Crazy, nothing says Big East like he Zags.
Big East(ern Washington)
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33