Fairfield's New Arena

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
steviep123
Sly Williams

Fairfield's New Arena

Unread post by steviep123 »

Looks great!

Now why can't the Ryan Center get an overhead center hanging jumbo tron! In theory, I really don't mind the way they did it with the opposing corners screens. However, it's execution was flawed! The smaller screen is too small and there are sections of fans that can't see either screen!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Fairfield's New Arena

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I believe that how the roof was constructed makes it impossible as is to hang a jumbotron from the center due to weight. At least that's been the excuse so far
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I posted this solution for the Ry months ago:

The solution seems obvious. Re-do the roof so that it can be opened, closed, or set off to the side. When it's open, you would slide it over to cover the parking in front of the main lobby. Or, rotate it off to the football field side and you'd have some covered seating if you wanted to flex that way. Then, for basketball games...have giant cranes lift up the roof and fill in the gap with those blow up things they use on Heavy Rescue, and have, between the cranes that are holding up the roof on top of the Heavy Rescue pillows, strategically wired up there, a jumbotron that dangles down, not from the top, but between the cranes in the corners.... Think Big.

ETA: Pretty sure this would also solve the RyFi issues?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago I believe that how the roof was constructed makes it impossible as is to hang a jumbotron from the center due to weight. At least that's been the excuse so far
That was supposedly the reason given when the Ryan Center was being constructed. I however wonder if that is still true today as scoreboards weigh far less with tech advances.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is an existing thread from last year when it opened with a youtube video of this venue:

viewtopic.php?t=9424
Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

I believe a jumbotron from 2002 was too heavy for the Ryan Center roof- same goes for Gampel Pavilion.. However the newer ones are much lighter than the older hanging scoreboards being pushed 20 something years ago.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bartoburger wrote: 3 weeks ago I believe a jumbotron from 2002 was too heavy for the Ryan Center roof- same goes for Gampel Pavilion.. However the newer ones are much lighter than the older hanging scoreboards being pushed 20 something years ago.
I'm guessing the first monitor I had at work in one of my first real jobs in the 80s...was probably too heavy to hang from the roof of the
Ry...
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I do think the roof is too low for a jumbotron, too heavy or not. If they had one the size of what's in the dunk or whatever that dump is called now, part of the court would likely be blocked. Harvard has a decent one. Raise the roof and get it done!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I believe Ryan Center was supposed to be higher, then cost overruns came into play because of the Contractors. It was either come up with another 10 million or lower the roof. URI is not the Dunk, during construction of the Dunk they spent the original $80 million then needed another $30 million, no problem, just pass a bill. Dunk scoreboard is too low. I have seen a full court shot get block by the scoreboard .
0 x