Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago This is all that is relevant regarding the NIL

Which of the URI players in the portal so far do you think are leaving because they are expecting a large pay day somewhere else?
Foumena.

6’10, 3 years left, showed flashes this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Which of the URI players in the portal so far do you think are leaving because they are expecting a large pay day somewhere else?
Foumena.

He may end up at a better program and therefore end up with a bigger NIL deal by default, but I don't think he is leaving because he is expecting a bunch of teams to being lined up with huge money offers for him to pick from. Of the schools on his list so far, I think there are maybe two or three schools on there that might be notably above us in the NIL game.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Foumena.

He may end up at a better program and therefore end up with a bigger NIL deal by default, but I don't think he is leaving because he is expecting a bunch of teams to being lined up with huge money offers for him to pick from. Of the schools on his list so far, I think there are maybe two or three schools on there that might be notably above us in the NIL game.
Maybe, but these days a lot of it has to do with who has been whispering what in his ear.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

Foumena.

Maybe, but these days a lot of it has to do with who has been whispering what in his ear.
I don't know, I think a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that Archie wouldn't even put him in the game by the end of the season to.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago

I don't know, I think a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that Archie wouldn't even put him in the game by the end of the season to.
Yeah I'm sure there are a lot of factors weighing in. Bottom line he's gone. Hope to replace with upgrade.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

and this is how that gets funded:

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Dayton $1,000,000
St. Louis $750,000
St. Bonaventure $440,000
Loyola Chicago $300,000+
St. Joe's $200,000, a car, plus

There you go. You want an All-Atlantic 10 first or second teamer you're looking at a 6 figure deal, and you need to be in six figures to even be in the top half of the league. Hate it or love it, that's where things stand. If you don't want to play the game and don't want to support Rhody Excellence apply for America East membership now
If accurate, no reason to think it is not, those numbers kinda give the costs of getting off the porch and running with the big dogs. As someone said on here, we are not competing with the major conferences we are competing in the A-10 upper tier.
Is this the same source that had Rhody last year at 400k?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Dayton $1,000,000
St. Louis $750,000
St. Bonaventure $440,000
Loyola Chicago $300,000+
St. Joe's $200,000, a car, plus

There you go. You want an All-Atlantic 10 first or second teamer you're looking at a 6 figure deal, and you need to be in six figures to even be in the top half of the league. Hate it or love it, that's where things stand. If you don't want to play the game and don't want to support Rhody Excellence apply for America East membership now
If accurate, no reason to think it is not, those numbers kinda give the costs of getting off the porch and running with the big dogs. As someone said on here, we are not competing with the major conferences we are competing in the A-10 upper tier.
I could be mistaken but I believe the 400K was reported by GoLocal Prov.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 month ago

I could be mistaken but I believe the 400K was reported by GoLocal Prov.
they prolly meant 401K
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So, announcements like this are a thing now?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's definitely a good thing to announce on social media.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They (Umass) did the same thing with RJ Luis last year and a few weeks/months later he accepted a bigger bag to go to St John's.

Seems like there are 3 waves to the portalers...

Wave 1: those leaving no matter what due to role, PT or bigger bag. They announce quickly.

Wave 2: those that after meeting with their coach are told the realities of their role and situation for next season. They came out last week.

Wave 3: those that initially stay pat, then test the waters via coaches/representation to see if there is a better offer out there. This wave has started now and will continue until the portal closes.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

wondering how much more tampering there is now vs. prior to NIL
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago They (Umass) did the same thing with RJ Luis last year and a few weeks/months later he accepted a bigger bag to go to St John's.

Wave 1: those leaving no matter what due to role, PT or bigger bag. They announce quickly.

Wave 2: those that after meeting with their coach are told the realities of their role and situation for next season. They came out last week.

Wave 3: those that initially stay pat, then test the waters via coaches/representation to see if there is a better offer out there. This wave has started now and will continue until the portal closes.
And Wave 4: those who see the writing on the wall if their anticipated position for 2024-2024 gets filled in the Portal and their chance for a starting position and/or chance for reduced playing time causes them to look elsewhere.

RJ Luis was All Rookie A10 last year and Curry was All A10 Rookie this year. Luis accepted NIL package from UMass to stay but then opted for St John’s bigger NIL package. UMASS likely fighting off poachers at the door for Curry. Maybe best for URI that Fuchs and Estevez did not make All Rookie Team.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 month ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 month ago They (Umass) did the same thing with RJ Luis last year and a few weeks/months later he accepted a bigger bag to go to St John's.

And Wave 4: those who see the writing on the wall if their anticipated position for 2024-2024 gets filled in the Portal and their chance for a starting position and/or chance for reduced playing time causes them to look elsewhere.

RJ Luis was All Rookie A10 last year and Curry was All A10 Rookie this year. Luis accepted NIL package from UMass to stay but then opted for St John’s bigger NIL package. UMASS likely fighting off poachers at the door for Curry. Maybe best for URI that Fuchs and Estevez did not make All Rookie Team.
There should be ramifications for that - if you sign a deal then opt out for a better deal then there should be ramifications to avoid poaching.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago

There should be ramifications for that - if you sign a deal then opt out for a better deal then there should be ramifications to avoid poaching.
That's what's broken. You can't put any stipulations on a contract. You agree to pay player x to represent your "brand" for a year. That's it.

If you could attach multi-year incentives or buyouts, it would literally solve the problem. But for whatever reason they're not doing that.

It should be the same as the coaches.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

That's what's broken. You can't put any stipulations on a contract. You agree to pay player x to represent your "brand" for a year. That's it.

If you could attach multi-year incentives or buyouts, it would literally solve the problem. But for whatever reason they're not doing that.

Definitely, but in the case of RJ Luis, it was weeks later if not less. It wasn't like he played the season "under contract" then moved on for a better deal. He signed with UMass and signed an NIL deal, then said, "nevermind, going with SJU instead."

That said, I do agree if we are doing this, there should be contracts that should be honored.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Only the collectives with the most money to spend and in the best conferences where the kids want to play could start putting stipulations in the contracts as they have some leverage. All other schools can’t afford to piss off the kids, so it needs to start there in my opinion…if it’s even legal to do so.

But once again the whole NIL thing pisses me off how the NCAA and schools and coaches have pushed the problem they created onto the fans. I know it’s the way it is and I can bitch or just get with the program. But does it seem right that the average Joe fan is being asked to pay into a collective so the coach who is being paid millions of dollars can do his job? Isn’t that why he is paid millions of dollars, because he is supposed to be one of the best in the country at his job?
5 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think the reaction to start collectives and "push NIL onto fans" was a result of fans with deep pockets paying for players. You had the guy for Miami as an example running around offering all these guys deals. Most programs don't have a situation where a few guys can single handedly carry NIL so it became an all hands on deck situation. I don't think you can blame coaches for wanting their fans to fund collectives to be able to compete against other schools that fund collectives. Many coaches are as good as the players they bring in.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago

Only the collectives with the most money to spend and in the best conferences where the kids want to play could start putting stipulations in the contracts as they have some leverage. All other schools can’t afford to piss off the kids, so it needs to start there in my opinion…if it’s even legal to do so.

But once again the whole NIL thing pisses me off how the NCAA and schools and coaches have pushed the problem they created onto the fans. I know it’s the way it is and I can bitch or just get with the program. But does it seem right that the average Joe fan is being asked to pay into a collective so the coach who is being paid millions of dollars can do his job? Isn’t that why he is paid millions of dollars, because he is supposed to be one of the best in the country at his job?
I don't think it's changed anything to be honest. Substitute "NIL" for "donations to athletics" and it's the same thing.

The fanbases that get it, get it. Those that don't, don't.

It took us 15 years to catch up to the schools that had practice facilities and the like. Our fans don't donate in a way that most other competitive fanbases do. So it takes random donations from the richest like Tom Ryan or Stefan Soloviev to make serious improvements in the program.

Other schools have infrastrucutre that helps the coaches do their job better. Things that we have always lacked. The things that cause coaches like Dan Hurley to look elsewhere. Practice facilities, chartered transportation for games, chartered transportation for recruiting, assistant coaching pools that can keep quality assistants happy...I mean we didn't even have a freaking film room until the latter part of Dan's career.

This is no different.

Again, VCU is a great example. This was a CAA program that made a good coaching hire. They made an NCAA run. Their fans opened up their wallets. The school requires donations to buy season tickets. It's no problem for their fans. They continue to donate, their team continues to win.

Our fans do not. They complain. Any dollar beyond the tickets is a grievance. They will say "why would I give to a team that doesn't perform" and then when the team performs "why doesn't the millionaire coach give more" "why doesn't Tom Ryan give more" and no one does anything and then we fade into irrelevancy.

NIL is no different. So here we are. We can either get with the times, and contribute; give our program the best chance to compete in this new landscape....or we can do nothing, like usual. We can bitch and moan and then wonder why we're stuck in the same place of irrelevancy 5-10 years and blame it on the "cartel" instead of looking in the mirror.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m not saying I blame them for wanting us to pay into it now that it’s here. I put some of the blame on them as far as the players seeing the coaches salaries skyrocket over the last 20ish years is part of the reason they wanted a piece of the pie. It’s like seeing all these CEO pay packages and the renewed interest in unions. The NCAA, conferences and coaches should take less and let the players in on the hustle.

Some people have told me that my donation would actually be better spent on NIL than giving to the school, since if we can’t pay the players all the rest is for nothing…how sad.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 1 month ago I’m not saying I blame them for wanting us to pay into it now that it’s here. I put some of the blame on them as far as the players seeing the coaches salaries skyrocket over the last 20ish years is part of the reason they wanted a piece of the pie. It’s like seeing all these CEO pay packages and the renewed interest in unions. The NCAA, conferences and coaches should take less and let the players in on the hustle.
Well they wanted us to pay into athletics too...and we were consistently one of the bottom third teams in the conference when it came to that.

I certainly don't disagree with the premise that the players should get a chunk of the money they earn. That much is obvious.

But it doesn't work that way now. And we can either collectively get with it or not.

But not donating because "someone else" should and then complaining that we don't have the money to compete is cutting off our collective nose to spite our own face.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I get what you are saying, I just hate having to clean up someone else’s mess.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It's going to be a real uphill battle. I don't think there are nearly as many "fans" out there that are enough of a URI basketball fan to donate as some think there are. Apart from people on this message board (and many of the "senior" season ticket holders who probably have no idea there is a message board), most people I speak with locally - many who are URI alums and fair-weather fans - would not think of giving a dime to the program via NIL.

They don't understand it, and even if they do, they are suspicious or don't agree with it.

Hard core fans are easier to convince, but are a relatively small group due to our overall mediocre to poor performance over the past several years, which is what most fair-weather fans see as URI basketball. Tough economy on top of all of it currently. People just do not expect to have to help pay for their college basketball players.

I get the argument for donating to the NIL, it's been detailed. Some people can justify it in their minds as the only way forward. But in reality it's going to be really tough to convince a lot of every-day people to fund it, especially the casual fan, of which URI has many. It's a catch-22.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If it's going to be a real uphill battle to keep up with other A10 schools for NIL than just pack up the program and move to America East
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I think all the heavy lifting has to come from our high paying donors. For instance UMASS had a grass routes campaign to reach $12,000 and when they did a donor matched 25K. We should be following the UMASS collective model. I talk to the guy that runs it and should have him on as my next podcast guest.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago It's going to be a real uphill battle. I don't think there are nearly as many "fans" out there that are enough of a URI basketball fan to donate as some think there are. Apart from people on this message board (and many of the "senior" season ticket holders who probably have no idea there is a message board), most people I speak with locally - many who are URI alums and fair-weather fans - would not think of giving a dime to the program via NIL.

They don't understand it, and even if they do, they are suspicious or don't agree with it.

Hard core fans are easier to convince, but are a relatively small group due to our overall mediocre to poor performance over the past several years, which is what most fair-weather fans see as URI basketball. Tough economy on top of all of it currently. People just do not expect to have to help pay for their college basketball players.

I get the argument for donating to the NIL, it's been detailed. Some people can justify it in their minds as the only way forward. But in reality it's going to be really tough to convince a lot of every-day people to fund it, especially the casual fan, of which URI has many. It's a catch-22.
The NIL/Excellence would benefit themselves by disclosing periodically the amounts paid to individual players. Get the revenue and distribution out of the shadows. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago It's going to be a real uphill battle. I don't think there are nearly as many "fans" out there that are enough of a URI basketball fan to donate as some think there are. Apart from people on this message board (and many of the "senior" season ticket holders who probably have no idea there is a message board), most people I speak with locally - many who are URI alums and fair-weather fans - would not think of giving a dime to the program via NIL.

The NIL/Excellence would benefit themselves by disclosing periodically the amounts paid to individual players. Get the revenue and distribution out of the shadows. No?
Would that put them at a disadvantage with other schools/collectives who could outbid us and steal our players?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

Would that put them at a disadvantage with other schools/collectives who could outbid us and steal our players?
Well yea, probably. I understand and just have his thing about just give, have faith, and probably neva know who made what.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 4 weeks ago
spoken like a true GM
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And I'm sure Archie called The Vault and told him that.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 weeks ago
And I'm sure Archie called The Vault and told him that.
wait...he's not the gm?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Is there anything stopping a coach from donating to the school’s NIL? If I wanted job security as a coach I could just take some cash, send it to the NIL and get better playersz
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

just curious...will every single URI men's hoop team member get 'some' NIL?
Or, will there still be some Rhody players just playing for scholarship and nothing more?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 4 weeks ago Is there anything stopping a coach from donating to the school’s NIL? If I wanted job security as a coach I could just take some cash, send it to the NIL and get better playersz
never understood this idea... like would anyone actually do this? If you're at a place where you're making enough to consider that, chances are buying players will be expensive, even to you. I can't see a Mrs. HC buying into that either...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There is going to be a disparity between the bigger earners and the bench guys.

Could cause jealousy issues within the team.

But that's going to affect every team.

Just another problem to deal with.

Yeah Archie could take one of his 500k extension bonuses and help pay for more talent.

That's up to him though.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 weeks ago There is going to be a disparity between the bigger earners and the bench guys.

Yeah Archie could take one of his 500k extension bonuses and help pay for more talent.

That's up to him though.
That would be illegal for him to do that.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 weeks ago There is going to be a disparity between the bigger earners and the bench guys.

That's up to him though.
I wouldn't worry about that too much honestly. Dealing with egos has always been a part of coaching. Whether it be about playing time or other "perks" or special treatment that some players might get over others (real or even just perceived). I think most coaches are used to dealing with that kind of stuff.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 weeks ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 weeks ago Is there anything stopping a coach from donating to the school’s NIL? If I wanted job security as a coach I could just take some cash, send it to the NIL and get better playersz
never understood this idea... like would anyone actually do this? If you're at a place where you're making enough to consider that, chances are buying players will be expensive, even to you. I can't see a Mrs. HC buying into that either...
Hmmm…you make $2 mil as a HC, you probably get fired with another bad season and are back to low level HC or assistant jobs. Wife would be cool with $150k to the collective to get the guy to save that job.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not surprising, they are paying the salaries of the players so basically they own the team…literally. What a mess. Did anyone see Christian Laettners take on NIL and the portal? To summarize: he thinks they are both ruining everything.

Giving to NIL feels very different than giving money to the program, with the program it can be used for many of the actual things that they need from facilities to charters and yes, even salaries. But with NIL you are literally paying the salaries of these players and it feels like you now have an employee employer relationship or at least you should since you are now basically part owner.
Last edited by RIFan 4 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

y'mean, they don't want to just hear that their contributions are going to both the men's and women's teams and that who gets what is nunya? Imagine that?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's pretty funny to hear Laettner say that, since I know for a fact Duke was paying players before NIL was a thing. Somehow that was better and ok I guess though...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What's the return on NIL dollars? Like if I contribute, I am now paying players salaries. So what is the return if the team makes money? This isn't charitable contributions. This is salary.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 4 weeks ago What's the return on NIL dollars? Like if I contribute, I am now paying players salaries. So what is the return if the team makes money? This isn't charitable contributions. This is salary.
Honest question, are you actually being serious when you ask questions like this? Or just trying to get a rise out of people? I genuinely can't tell sometimes.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 weeks ago
theblueram wrote: 4 weeks ago What's the return on NIL dollars? Like if I contribute, I am now paying players salaries. So what is the return if the team makes money? This isn't charitable contributions. This is salary.
Honest question, are you actually being serious when you ask questions like this? Or just trying to get a rise out of people? I genuinely can't tell sometimes.
Actually Adam, on this one, I'm being serious. There is no tax deduction for NIL contributions. Schools are asking fans to pay for athletes, yet the schools get all the money from tickets, media, NCAA credits etc.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 4 weeks ago
Actually Adam, on this one, I'm being serious. There is no tax deduction for NIL contributions. Schools are asking fans to pay for athletes, yet the schools get all the money from tickets, media, NCAA credits etc.
I'd say email Stone then and ask him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 weeks ago

I'd say email Stone then and ask him.
I'm sure he reads this board. He can come on here and clarify himself questions fans have about NIL.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So I'll just ask Stone here. If top players are going for about $250K a year, and we get a starting five that the NIL is paying $1.25M a year for players, how does this work? So fans contribute money to the NIL, to pay for top players to come here and win games, pack the Ryan Center and go to the NCAAT. Concessions make a ton on all the fans plus the $14 a beer. The University loves it as applications are crazy and the fees are coming in. The media loves it and the rights to the A10 increase. Yet the people paying the players get squat? We are just happy to pay millions for players, plus tickets, plus concessions? Imagine if the Celtics said the fans need to contribute to a fund to pay for players. Just imagine that.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Is that your question to Stone?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938